The Tamaskan lifestyle.

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

The Tamaskan lifestyle.

Post by AngieH » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:40 am

So; after lots of soul searching and realistically evaluating our situation, my husband and I came to the painful conclusion that our home is really too small for a Tamaskan after all... :cry:

So we are buying a bigger one! :D

(What, you thought we'd change our mind about getting Paka? No way!)

We close on our new place Nov 30. Paka is expected to come home the second week of January.

Now, of course, many things lead to the decision to buy a home, but contemplating a dog-friendly lifestyle was certianly the catalist leading us to explore this path.

This led me to wonder, in what ways has being a "dog person" changed the lifestyle of other people?

What are some of the lifestyle decisions you have made to accomodate your beloved fur-babies?

-Angie
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: The Tamaskan lifestyle.

Post by EskyTheHusky » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:20 am

:D I like your thinking!

There is a lot of things having a dog has changed for me.
I settled on a husky when i first moved out of home as I had gotten lazy, I had read huskies become destructive if they are bored so although it seems a bit backwards I wanted to get a dog to help keep my active, or it would punish me for not excercising it enough.

Since then I now am a fully fledged crazy dog lady, i spend my time on dog forums, I have heaps of dog books, I drive all over the place for dog meet ups, events and camp down in the forest for races.

Esky and I are now on a 6 month fitness quest to be absolutely ripped by next winter :lol:

I would love another pack member though, so I could get out and about even more :lol:
Oh and I'm about to start working from home I'll get to spend a heap of time with my animals
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:30 am

having dogs didn't really change anything for me because my mum had a dog before i was born and they have always been there, apart of my life.. well, apart of me and who i am really.... except with the death of a dog... i can't lose a dog and then jump into getting a new one. to me it feels like i'd be replacing the one i lost and so far i have never stuck with the same breed because of that feeling... but in the timeline i had a dog in my life everyday untill our ex guide dog, evan passed and then there was a a few years of nothingness... feeling lonely with no one to talk to (my dogs know all my deep, dark secrets :D ). and then i rescued my GSD, Jess. and same again for a year when she passed... the darkness of being alone... something missing, needing something that wasn't there (sounds strange to some people :mrgreen: ). and then i got sam. it's more of a change and an adjustment to not have one...

it's actually pretty much the same story about cats too now i come to think about it :mrgreen:

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

TheNorth
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by TheNorth » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:10 am

:D We did that too....at first we wanted just a apartment and after we knew that we get a tamaskan, we thought its better for both and maybe three dogs..to have a bigger living space and a garden.

Now we are living in a house with a very very big garden ;)

Good luck in the new bigger house :)

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:01 pm

I guess we have definitely changed our lifestyles for our dogs! This year we bought a caravan so we could take the dogs away with us on holiday as I am not happy to put them in kennels or trust anyone else with them. However, our main consideration with the caravan was that it was big enough for 3/4 dogs, what we hadn't realised is that the caravan we bought was too heavy to be towed by either of our cars, so a new car had to be purchased to be able to tow the van and fit all the dogs in!

It's turned out to be quite costly :lol:
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:03 pm

I agree. Teresa and I are going to move to a bigger place in the next few yrs so we can get more Tams and help more with fostering

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:54 pm

Oh my. This seems to be a recurring theme with all of us! We also intend to move to a bigger home with more land. :D
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Oh my. This seems to be a recurring theme with all of us! We also intend to move to a bigger home with more land. :D
:lol: :lol: Warning Tams are very adictive :lol: :lol:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:27 pm

We have a doggy door to our bedroom so our fur babies may come in and out as they please while we keep everyone else out ;) We are also trying to get a fence up (after some frustrating moments) for our 1 acre yard and hopefully after that we will get rid of our carpet :) Also because we do want to help out more with fostering any need be rescue Tamaskans and hopefully even be part of the rescue committee :oops: :)

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:20 am

We are well on our way to being those "crazy dog people!" We now have a dog room which is the bedroom next to ours that has kennels and crates set up including a 5' x 5' kennel. We have dog furniture and people furniture since we lost our couch to the dogs.

We have started making a list on "nice to haves" verses "must haves" for our new house in the country. Oh yeah, did I mention that we need to move:) Must have more room for more Tams! "Can't just have two"...that's what happens after "can't have just one"

Someone stop us...oh never mind!
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:07 am

It gets worse when you start breeding and cant part with the pups :lol:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)