Just thought I ask.

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Dozer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Just thought I ask.

Post by Dozer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:45 pm

I have all the time of the world but I do think sometimes what if I want a Tamaskan.
From witch breeder than.
To be honest I came to the conclusion for myself that I have the best feeling with a breeder that is not too far away in case I ever need help.( maby weird thinking but that is just a feeling)
So I looked to breeders that are a bit in my surroundings.
I find these ones:
Wolfsbane
Tamaskan-vom-Rothaarsteig
Tamaskan-vom-Muensterland
Sylvaen Tamaskans

Maybe there are more on this side of the water but those I found.
But Sylvaen have no future litters planned says here site
Rothaarsteig,Muensterland and Wolfsbane have.
And I don't know any of them but looking at the sites I saw Konah is a DM at risk so all will be carriers..................

who would you recommend and why?

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Just thought I ask.

Post by Valravn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:07 am

Well, do you hope to breed your pup? If not then getting a pup from Konah wouldn't be a problem since the puppies would just be carriers and would never develop DM. Even if you did want to breed the TDR does allow carriers to be bred, you just have to be careful about it. Only breed to a Tam that tests clear of DM.
If I were you I would talk to the breeders directly. Learn about them and their animals. They can help you decide which would suit you best.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:29 am

I can only say about myself when it comes to the decision to get a Tamaskan puppy - I have wanted one (or two) since I learned about the breed in '08. lol. At first, I was going to go with a local breeder in Texas until I found out they decided they didn't want to be breeders anymore. :(

After that, I was still looking at getting a puppy based on travel distance from me. After I had a few years to look into which lines and what look I would ideally want, whether I would be a breeder or not, I found that I still want a red grey from the Alba lines. However, the only registered breeders that have what I'm looking for right now is Tarheel and Hawthorne. Originally, I didn't know whether or not Hawthorne's female would be registered (plus, it was still very early and Freyja was still a puppy) so I decided on Tarheel based on my vibes from speaking with John & Tina over email. Now, I have two options, Tarheel and Hawthorne, as I have spoke with Tracy at Hawthorne as well and I feel good after speaking with her too. I would go with either breeder depending on health tests and planned breedings, of course.

Ultimately though, think about what your ideal Tamaskan would be and whether you'd want to own a specific color (red, black or wolf) and possibly from certain lines. I am still smitten with Tarheel's first litter (Outerbanks '09), however, I will not be able to get a puppy from the same mating, so I'm hoping to get a puppy from a OBX line instead. Location can play a factor, but if you find that you are picky about what you puppy MIGHT look like, go with that first. However, the very bottom line: do you trust the breeder?

As a puppy buyer, I'd want to have peace of mind that, no matter what, my breeder will be there for me and my puppy every step of the way - for the dog's life. How much I have to spend on a puppy (pup price, importing, etc) is also very important as my career choice doesn't make millions ( ;) ), but I firmly believe if the breeder feels I am worthy of one of their puppies, we can work something out financially. So, I'd prioritize looking for a breeder in the following criteria:
Relationship with breeder
Health
Pedigree
Price
Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:34 am

Wolfsbane - This is Rahne (she's the moderator here on the forum) you may want to give her an e-mail :)
Tamaskan-vom-Rothaarsteig - As far as I know there dog is Amy (??) She's a beautiful dog out of Muensterland
Tamaskan-vom-Muensterland - These two are very nice people, they own some beautiful dogs but I'm not sure of their future breeding plans.
Sylvaen Tamaskans - Debby is awesome! As far as I know her only female (Vixen) MAY be bred next season, but again, you'll have to contact her.

All in all I can't recommend anyone without contacting all of them, checking the location, deciding on if you want a breeding dog or a family pet, and how much you are willing to spend.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Dozer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dozer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks for your answers :)
So, I'd prioritize looking for a breeder in the following criteria:
Relationship with breeder
Health
Pedigree
Price
I think the last 4 will be about the same I geuss. So indeed after reading a bit more probably the first one is going to be the breaker in this.
I already had a contact with Rahne for meeting her Tamaskan. So maybe that is the best to do first when I have the time for that and it fits all.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:47 am

I myself would of the 4 choose Wolfsbane, with the reason that she is fairly near me (which means it is possible to travel to see her beforehand, and afterwards), I really adore her Tamaskan Konah, I know that she is really committed to making healthy and well adjusted puppies, that will fit the standard (which I am sure the others will too, but this is just one of the reasons), I know that Konah have been tested and found a good breeding dog, and will only have this one litter (because she "have" DM) and the only reason why she will be bred is because she will bring something good to the breed and Rahne wants to keep a pup from her (which means that she means that it will be a really good mating, not just because she can.. ), I know that she is REALLY committed to the breed (which is very important to her), I talk with her quite a lot (and feel that I trust her and have a good relationship with her).

All these just sums it up to that she is my prefered breeer between the four - which is of cause not because I have anything against the other three :)
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Convel wrote:Sylvaen Tamaskans - Debby is awesome! As far as I know her only female (Vixen) MAY be bred next season, but again, you'll have to contact her.
hehe thanks! And yes, now that I've moved to my new house (with a garden!) I'll definitely breed Vixen next time she is in season, which will probably be around March/April... so the pups *should* be born around May/June and then ready to go to their new homes in July/August. But I would, ideally, like to find homes for them locally (within the neighboring region) and there are already a few people who are interested in puppies, though I have yet to decide on which stud dog I will use... however, I'll make public posts about it as / when I know. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Dozer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dozer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Of course it is great that you will breed her. But also to be honest even if you where thinking of placing your pups a bit farther away it is still too soon for me. So is also the planning that Rahne has with her girl.
But that of course is not for now.
I am just looking where I find myself comfortable with.
But I do like to follow your posts on it all :D

Aravis
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Aravis » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:59 pm

Since we're on sort of the same search (only I would like a puppy within a year if possible) I thought I'd tell you what I did: I did mail Rahne. The right time for me to get a pup would be somewhere this year, preferably after the second week of April. And Rahne inspires a lot of confidence as a breeder and as a dog owner, and she lives close to me, two good reasons to contact her first. Also, though I'm looking for a bitch, I'm not really looking for a dog to breed with (I wouldn't exclude the possibility that I'd want to get one nest, but I would also be perfectly happy if that wasn't possible). So yeah.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:49 am

Sylvaen wrote:
Convel wrote:Sylvaen Tamaskans - Debby is awesome! As far as I know her only female (Vixen) MAY be bred next season, but again, you'll have to contact her.
hehe thanks!
:lol: No problemo :D
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:52 pm

No matter which TDR breeder that you get your first Tamaskan from I hope that you and your dog live happily and comfortably together.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Sylvaen wrote: hehe thanks! And yes, now that I've moved to my new house (with a garden!) I'll definitely breed Vixen next time she is in season, which will probably be around March/April... so the pups *should* be born around May/June and then ready to go to their new homes in July/August. But I would, ideally, like to find homes for them locally (within the neighboring region) and there are already a few people who are interested in puppies, though I have yet to decide on which stud dog I will use... however, I'll make public posts about it as / when I know. :)
Hey Debby, congratulations on your moved. I look forward towards seeing photos of your new backyard once you have time to post. I'd like to know how your beautiful dogs and cats are adjusting to their new environment :)

Dozer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dozer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:38 pm

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:No matter which TDR breeder that you get your first Tamaskan from I hope that you and your dog live happily and comfortably together.
I am very honest I look on both sides. And on both side I find someone that I indeed feel like that could match.( I am not in the human things of things ;) )
Here it is indeed Rahne.
I almost can't wait she goes to Friesland/Drenthe. And when she does I hope I am free or can arrange something so I can meet her and Konah :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Dozer wrote:
fangjingtuanlucas wrote:No matter which TDR breeder that you get your first Tamaskan from I hope that you and your dog live happily and comfortably together.
I am very honest I look on both sides. And on both side I find someone that I indeed feel like that could match.( I am not in the human things of things ;) )
Here it is indeed Rahne.
I almost can't wait she goes to Friesland/Drenthe. And when she does I hope I am free or can arrange something so I can meet her and Konah :D
I understand, best of luck ;)

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:26 am

I have to admit, when looking for a breeder I will look for the best looking dog (which could health tests of course) for me my fav dog owned by a European breeder is Konah. If I was buying a pup I would be very interested to learn what stud dog she was using and I also know Rahne is a very lovely person.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Dozer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dozer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:14 pm

I have had contact with Rahne, not in real live but true messages. I indeed think she is lovely, helpful and as far as I can understand also looking very good to the best match possible. The reason I didn't choose for her was that I have a different opinion about Konah :oops: Sorry. The breeder I choosed also thinks that Konah is the best looking tamaskan female but sorry to say but I like the darker colors better. But I do want to meet them both in real live still because besides looks I want to see more behaviors. The ones I have met and seen are great but are they all if you know what I mean.

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:24 pm

We're at a similar stage of researching the breed and breeders. One thing we are going to do is attend the show in May and hopefully get to meet some breeders face to face. Can you come to that?
"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

Dozer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dozer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:33 pm

I am very bussy in may so it depends on the exact datum and place. Would be great if I can make it :D

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:47 pm

There is probably still the European meeting in june too..
>> Nino <<

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:07 pm

Dozer wrote:I am very bussy in may so it depends on the exact datum and place. Would be great if I can make it :D
The date is 12th May and the venue is now up on the forum here under Upcoming Events.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:10 pm

Nino wrote:There is probably still the European meeting in june too..
Sadly the Euro Club wont be putting on a show this year but hopefully we will all be back over next year for sure :D
The house move has really thrown a spanner in the works this year as there is so much work still to be done and we
have also got the 10th Anniversary Show to organise here in UK for May which isnt far off now. I hope to see lots
of new and old friends there.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:19 pm

So sad.. was looking forward to the meeting in Germany in june!! :(

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Hope to see the photos of next month's events :D

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:44 pm

Thats really sad to hear about the Euro show.. I have been talking with Susann and Jon about starting a Scandinavian club (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) and who knows.. Maybe it would be possible for a Scandinavian show within a few years :)
>> Nino <<

Lilli
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Lilli » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:35 am

Back to topic:

First you have to clear, who's an active breeder, and who has confirmed to be once a breeder. Then you should clear up the health information from the parental animals. Then you should read a lot in several information platforms in the internet. Important things to know are ...

- health status until the grandparents (this includes DM-Testing, Hip scoring, information about epilepsy, ...);
- how many animals must have been rehomed in the bloodlines of the parental animals, and what are the reasons of this rehoming needs (vandalism, dominant behaviour, problems with kids or any kind of people, ...);
- what kind of experiences do costumers made with the delivering breeder;
- what is the "scope of delivery" you'll get for which amount of money;
- are or were there price differences ... ?

Ask, ask, ask, aks ... before you make a decision.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Nino wrote:Thats really sad to hear about the Euro show.. I have been talking with Susann and Jon about starting a Scandinavian club (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) and who knows.. Maybe it would be possible for a Scandinavian show within a few years :)
That would be brilliant Nino as there are many Tamaskan now between Finland, Norway and Sweden and not forgetting Denmark.
I could mail everyone who has my dogs for you and let them know. :D

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Edit.
Susaan your post seems to have disappeared :lol: but this note below was for you ;)

If you mail me and ask for contacts (to remind me lol) then I will give you them. Not all of them go on this forum.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Blustag wrote:
Nino wrote:Thats really sad to hear about the Euro show.. I have been talking with Susann and Jon about starting a Scandinavian club (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) and who knows.. Maybe it would be possible for a Scandinavian show within a few years :)
That would be brilliant Nino as there are many Tamaskan now between Finland, Norway and Sweden and not forgetting Denmark.
I could mail everyone who has my dogs for you and let them know. :D
I will keep that in mind - there will be a little work setting the whole thing up, making a web page etc. before though ;)
>> Nino <<

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Blustag wrote:Edit.
Susaan your post seems to have disappeared :lol: but this note below was for you ;)

If you mail me and ask for contacts (to remind me lol) then I will give you them. Not all of them go on this forum.
Yes it must have disappered.. :lol: I was going to make a change in my post but must have done something wrong.. lol.. I wrote that I only know of Cynthia and her family. A lovely family with great dogs.. the beginning of my love for Tamaskans :D

Lynn: I'll email you and remind you ... if I remember :lol: