Sleeping arrangements

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
PawPrint
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Sleeping arrangements

Post by PawPrint » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi everyone,
Bear is 9 weeks old this weekend and has settled well into his new home. :D

He has housetrained very well (apart from the occasional accident) and already and also knows sit, lay down, wait and “off the garden”.
At night Bear sleeps in a big crate and cries usually once or twice a night to ask to go to the loo outside. When he is put back in his crate he usually drops back to sleep without complaint (usually! :roll: ).

However, this is because my parents are currently sleeping on a mattress in the living room as he is quite heavy to carry up and down stairs. My mum wakes up as soon as he cries, but is careful not to move and take him out until he is quiet. Taking him outside at night to the loo really seems to have helped reinforce the housetraining and learning his “be quick” que to go to the loo. But of course my parents can’t carry on sleeping in the living room indefinitely!

Last night we made the mistake of letting him go to sleep too early in the evening so at 4:30 in the morning after he had been let out and put back in his crate he decided he had had enough of sleeping and howled and howled for at least 30 mins until he settled down, even though he could see he had company and hadn't been left alone. (I spoke to our neighbours over the fence and they hadn’t heard anything thankfully :oops: ).

We know he can’t be expected to hold it all night at this age but how long was it until you found your Tams could go through the night without accidents? What set-ups would everyone recommend for night times. He will have to sleep downstairs by himself eventually. Is it best to start this sooner rather than later?
We can’t really keep him in the kitchen at night because that is where the cat flap is and it’s not really an option to keep him in the bedrooms because of the stairs.

Really appreciate any suggestions/advice!!
Thanks!

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Sleeping arrangements

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:06 pm

I slept in the living room with Zephyr for the first three weeks. After that he started sleeping in his crate in the living room alone. His crying never stoped it was like clock work every night after he got put in his crate for bed for about an hour he would scream. At about 16-17 weeks Zephyr was sleeping through the night, but still screaming at night before bed and ocationally waking up at all hours just to scream to get out. At about 20 weeks I gave up on the crate at night... But his screaming still presisted until he was allowed to sleep where everyone else was sleeping :roll: At 8 months he sleeps at the end of the bed or on the floor at the end of my bed and doesnt make a peep... I lost the battle but at least everyone in the house gets a full nights sleep now.

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Shay slept in her pen right from the first night I got her. She howeled about it for the first couple of nights but soon reolised I wasent going to come down stairs. She started being dry all night at about 3 -3 1/2 months old and then she started sleeping in her den at night. I believe it is best not to sleep in the same room as the dog's as it may cause seperation issues later, but not all dogs are the same. as long as Shay had access to papers at night there was no reason I needed to go down to her. I would however go down and check everything was ok and let her out in the garden for a pee, but then I put her back in her pen and ignored any futher howling.
Another thing I always do is cover the pen with a sheet. That way it is darker for them and they wont get 'visually' stimulated which ultamatley helps keep them calm and relaxed in their pen. This would maybe help if you have someone sleeping in the same room.
I put a more detailed explanation of my method in the "Crate training/ crate size " thread.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:47 pm

Paka sleeps happily in her crate in our bedroom. She never got too upset even in the beginning, though we were so enamored with her, we slept half the night in front of her open door for the first week. (our idea, not her insistence ... Really, we were *that* smitten.)

Fable was more fussy and cried at bed time for the first two weeks or so. After that bed time became more routine and now she jst gives an "awwwww mom..... I'm not a bit sleepy" whine as she kennels up. Then gives an exasperated sigh of resignation and lays down. :lol:

both dogs sleep crated in our bedrooms.
Paka with my husband and I. Fable up the road with my adult daughter.

Though Paka does have a second crate in the living room for a private pace to chill. We use that living room crate to kennel her when we have to go out without her.

Maybe her sleeping crate is no big deal to her because she has never been left alone in her bedroom crate?

Hope it helps,

-A
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

PawPrint
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by PawPrint » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. Angie. Did you use papers or puppy pads or take your dogs out to the loo at night? Or did they sleep through the night straight away?

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:05 pm

PawPrint wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies. Angie. Did you use papers or puppy pads or take your dogs out to the loo at night? Or did they sleep through the night straight away?
We used a crate divider to keep her space large enough to stretch out in but too small to have a "poo-corner" We gave her a blanket for comfort.

If we went to bed early (9:30 -10:00) She would get up at about 1:30-2:00 am to wee and then sleep until 6:30 or 7:00 when we normally get up.

If we went to bed late (11:30 - 12:00) she could go all night, but have to get out to wee early (like 4:00 - 5:00 am) But after a "wee hours wee" we let her get into bed with us until we were ready to get up for the day.

(I know-- spoiled spoiled spoiled :roll: -- Now, at 20 weeks old, she sleeps all night without a crate divider and prefers sleeping in her crate, (though I suspect she would sleep under the bed if we left her door open) And she does very much like to be lifted up into bed for a morning cuddle before breakfast.)

It's been working for us. and she has not developed separation anxiety. I set a camera on her when I went grocery shopping about a month ago... just to see how she did home alone in her crate. She fussed a bit for about 10 - 15 min, but when it was clear she was alone, she just went to sleep in the crate. The camera turned itself off before I got back so the whole rest of the film is just her sleeping. I'll see if I can upload it to youtube. It's a boring vid. but perhaps useful for those wondering about "home alone" behavior.
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:43 am

AZDehlin wrote:I slept in the living room with Zephyr for the first three weeks. After that he started sleeping in his crate in the living room alone. His crying never stoped it was like clock work every night after he got put in his crate for bed for about an hour he would scream. At about 16-17 weeks Zephyr was sleeping through the night, but still screaming at night before bed and occasionally waking up at all hours just to scream to get out. At about 20 weeks I gave up on the crate at night... But his screaming still presisted until he was allowed to sleep where everyone else was sleeping :roll: At 8 months he sleeps at the end of the bed or on the floor at the end of my bed and doesnt make a peep... I lost the battle but at least everyone in the house gets a full nights sleep now.
Yeah I can picture most of what you're saying about Zephyr.

@Pawprint: To share part of my experiences with Snoopy, he started out much like Zephyr in 1998 when he was just a pup despite living with a fully grown Tutu (a chihuahua and my Buddy's younger brother). I did stay at his house sometimes as a kid and occasionally throughout teenagerhood and he never failed to break out of his sleeping spot as long as I was in the house. He kept mourning at night for attention even annoying Tutu. He never liked sleeping in the crate room without the presence of my half-relatives but after 6 weeks he began to sleep quietly next to Tutu without the crate, though he did occasionally burst out into my gramp's room screaming at night and causing trouble like flicking on the lights and sometimes he just had to raid the refrigerator! :roll: Other times he dashed into the backyard and messed up the garden. He WAS crated, however, whenever my grandfather and my half-relatives* weren't home but often escaped from it. These escaping behaviours weren't always bad though. He actually opened the door for me one night while I was delivering some oranges from a Buddhist temple at which I had already told my grandfather (who was out for a party with his family*) on the phone prior that I would leave them covered in a tightly sealed box at the side yard for them. But Snoopy actually unlocked the door himself after sensing my presence from his crate of which he broke out and invited me in the house :lol: and even today I've never told gramps about this! :D

In the end, my grandfather gave Snoopy his own room and bed to sleep in and he slowly adjusted to it and has been sleeping on it, sharing with Tutu, eversince. That was, until Tutu passed away two years ago at which point he reverted to his night mourning but has gotten over the absence of his companion now plus one of my uncle sometimes sleeps in the room across from his with his door open.

*My grandfather has his own family and all of my aunts and uncles currently living with him are my mother's half-siblings.

PawPrint
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by PawPrint » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:52 am

Thank you everyone for your advice :)

We have put together a "puppy pen" arrangement for Bear and he now has his crate in the hallway at night with papers down on the floor. He sleeps in his crate with the crate door open and a radio on and doesn't make a peep all night. His house training hasn't suffered too much either. Yesterday night he actually went and sat by the door and looked at me. When I let him out straight away he pooed outside! smart puppy!! (much less inclined to do this now it is raining though :roll: :lol: )

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 am

Glad to hear Bear is getting on really well and Im sure he will be super intelligent like his mum and dad :D

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:05 pm

Shay is oblivious to weather... She will go out in anything so the trick is trying to get her back in... Glad your pup is setteling in and leaving the radio on is a good thing to do. I have music on day and night and it helps to stop them Focusing on things when they are on their own. :D