wolf grey and silver grey

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

wolf grey and silver grey

Post by Tatzel » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:10 pm

I wondered if breeders make a difference between those two?

Since Summer for example has a very bright grey-ish color, I thought she was more silver grey than actually wolf grey, which seem to have more middle-toned greys.

Opinions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: wolf grey and silver grey

Post by Nino » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:53 pm

the Tamaskan comes in three over all colors which can varie within the categories..

Black Grey - which with what we have now in the Tam is a recessive color with the looks of Tumanra, Rann, Dallas, Diesel and the likes of them (search the forum for photos)
Wolf Grey - which is the color which consist of predominance of gray hair (some times with very little warm glow about them), the Wolf Grey can varie from very very light to very very dark (it is uncertain weather ex. Akim and Nanuq is Wolf Grey or Black Grey - they are very possibly very dark Wolf Greys and Winter although most likely not actually Wolf Grey but rather Cream colored I believe is registered a Wolf Grey)
Red Grey - this is in general a dog that can be described as a Wolf Grey with a lot of red in it, most of these dogs are born quite red as pups (whereas a lot of the light reds turn out to be warm Wolf Grey or just Wolf Grey), in some cases as an example Ookami (Search the forum for picture) the dog is predominantly Red with a light undercoat and black overlay whereas others like my own Sølve is quite light and (in her case she was actually registered a Wolf Grey but she is definatly too red to be a grey) the red is mostly centered around the top of the head, back of the ears, shoulders, back and on the back side of the hind legs (which in Sølve's case is VERY red)
>> Nino <<

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:48 pm

I find the Red Grey to be the shiniest when in the sun

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Nino wrote:the Tamaskan comes in three over all colors which can varie within the categories..

Black Grey - which with what we have now in the Tam is a recessive color with the looks of Tumanra, Rann, Dallas, Diesel and the likes of them (search the forum for photos)
Wolf Grey - which is the color which consist of predominance of gray hair (some times with very little warm glow about them), the Wolf Grey can varie from very very light to very very dark (it is uncertain weather ex. Akim and Nanuq is Wolf Grey or Black Grey - they are very possibly very dark Wolf Greys and Winter although most likely not actually Wolf Grey but rather Cream colored I believe is registered a Wolf Grey)
Red Grey - this is in general a dog that can be described as a Wolf Grey with a lot of red in it, most of these dogs are born quite red as pups (whereas a lot of the light reds turn out to be warm Wolf Grey or just Wolf Grey), in some cases as an example Ookami (Search the forum for picture) the dog is predominantly Red with a light undercoat and black overlay whereas others like my own Sølve is quite light and (in her case she was actually registered a Wolf Grey but she is definatly too red to be a grey) the red is mostly centered around the top of the head, back of the ears, shoulders, back and on the back side of the hind legs (which in Sølve's case is VERY red)
Personally, I like the idea of having 4 categories:

Black Grey
Wolf Grey
Red Grey
Light Silver/White Grey

Summer / Skye / Vega / Inkantan / Winter / all of the lighter pups from the Odin X Frigga litter / etc all look very different to regular dark 'Wolf Grey' Tams ;)

Of course, there will always be some overlap between the various colors but I think it might be a good idea to distinguish between the different shades that exist. How about a poll to see if there is a demand / desire for a new "Light Silver/White Grey" color category? :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:16 pm

I do like that idea of adding silver/light/white grey :)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:07 pm

I don't think we necesarrily can put Winter in the same category as Summer etc. as I do believe that the Color of Winter might be the same as Valko/Whitefang which is the recessive white/cream color..
>> Nino <<

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:24 pm

I agree with Nino. Winter is recessive white, the same as a white swiss shepherd and geneticly very different from the light greys

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Winter his papers say 'White Grey' but Winter is solid white/cream, he doesn't have any grey in his coat. In most breeds, including the Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malamute, they call his color just 'White'.

Edit: Dogs as light as Summer and Skye could be called Silver Grey, like Siberian Huskies :)

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:36 pm

it's actually recessive yellow, same as the white swiss shepherd and white saarloos but also the same color as golden retrievers and irish setters

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Vajente wrote:it's actually recessive yellow, same as the white swiss shepherd and white saarloos but also the same color as golden retrievers and irish setters
Very light red actually ;)
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:46 pm

Rahne wrote:Winter his papers say 'White Grey' but Winter is solid white/cream, he doesn't have any grey in his coat. In most breeds, including the Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malamute, they call his color just 'White'.

Edit: Dogs as light as Summer and Skye could be called Silver Grey, like Siberian Huskies :)
Hmmm good point... Cream / White is a recessive dog color, like Liver or Blue... :?

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Nino wrote:
Vajente wrote:it's actually recessive yellow, same as the white swiss shepherd and white saarloos but also the same color as golden retrievers and irish setters
Very light red actually ;)
we call it yellow here :P

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:50 pm

Isn't white really "Cream" colour :?:

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm

Just White sound boring. Lets call it Arctic! ;) :lol:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:39 pm

hmm.. I'm not sure I like that.. it could be misunderstood.. Arctic are born darker and turns white-ish.. whereas White's starts out white and either stays that color or turns a bit more cream..

It would be like calling our black-greys "black phase".. it would be rather much..
also I would maybe state that calling it everything else than what it is (white) and maybe unrecognized white, as long as it is not a color accepted in the standard would maybe give the idea that it was not considered a fault..
>> Nino <<

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Perhaps waiting to see what Winter produces for pups would shed more light on what we should call his color. Maybe strange things will happen with coloration in his puppies? I still think a Winter x Raven litter would be interesting. ;) Plus just their two names together sound lovely :) LOL
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Perhaps waiting to see what Winter produces for pups would shed more light on what we should call his color. Maybe strange things will happen with coloration in his puppies? I still think a Winter x Raven litter would be interesting. ;) Plus just their two names together sound lovely :) LOL

Winter's color is recessive yellow/red there is no doubt about that, he will only produce white pups if the bitch cariers white too, otherwise the pups will just be wolfgrey/redgrey

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:50 am

It would be okay for me to add other colours, if it is a colour wolves can have too.

And Nino, what you say about Solve is the same for Mila, she is registered as a wolf grey, but I believe she is a red grey. What makes a red grey a red grey and a wolf grey a wolf grey? What is the turning point?

For example, this is Mila with two wolfgreys.

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:23 am

same goes for Ravi his papers say wolf grey, but I believe he is a red grey
when we picked him up Jenny said she put wolf grey on all the pups papers

Ravi with Konah

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 am

Ravi and Mila definitely look red grey to me! Perhaps they were more grey as pups, or it was just 'easier' to mark them all as wolf grey... *shrug* despite what it says on paper, the distinction is there in real life.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:57 pm

Sølve was definately red as a pup too.. I am thinking Lynn just chose wolf gray because it was easier..

I would say both Ravi and Mila are Red Gray for sure..
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:12 pm

Gaby wrote: What makes a red grey a red grey and a wolf grey a wolf grey? What is the turning point?
This is the same question I have, also "what makes a dog a black grey or a wolf grey too." (some dogs blur the line for me)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
Gaby wrote: What makes a red grey a red grey and a wolf grey a wolf grey? What is the turning point?
This is the same question I have, also "what makes a dog a black grey or a wolf grey too." (some dogs blur the line for me)
I think it's decided case on case.. as long as we don't know what makes a redgrey instead of a wolf grey..

whereas the black grey is genetic.. so far the black is recessive.. which is why we cannot be sure with Nanuq and Akim.. also I am not sure they were born all black? that's normally what happens with blacks..
>> Nino <<

torriarno
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by torriarno » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Ranns aunt ...his mothers sister.....was a grey....but had a lovely silver jacket .......
The MEETING OF MINDS

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:43 am

With the current discussion on Facebook regarding the possibility of adding new color categories to the breed standard, I figured it might be good to resurrect this thread to discuss it here on the forum, since not everyone checks the Facebook page and it can be difficult to read longer posts on Facebook as opposed to here on the forum.

I understand both though processes with labeling the color of dogs. On the one hand, you have the idea that it should be determined by genetics, and on the other determined by looks. Both of these make sense. Perhaps depending on the results of coat color testing, one or both of these methods can be used to label Tamaskan puppies color more accurately. For example, if Red Grays and Wolf Grays end up showing the same genetics for coat color, then the difference between the categories is one of appearance, since they do look different in their coloring. That does not prevent other categories from being distinguished from one another due to genetic differences, though.

As for Tamaskan coloring in general, the goal is to make a dog that looks like a wolf. What species of wolf should the Tamaskan look like? Should Arctic wolves be considered an acceptable wolf to mimic in Tamaskans or not?

I know people have differing opinions on these, but I think it's something that should be discussed, since the breed standard is being revised and solidified.
-Crystal

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:48 am

Well a little thing I am concern about in the light cream-coloured pups is that normally Grey wolves in the wild are NEVER born with that coat as pups. Neither do the Coywolf pups in the Hudson Bay regions who have northern Manitoban Grey wolves in their background. The Arctic wolves and Eurasian Tundra wolves develop it as they mature. However, as the dog grows up, they DO start to look more wolfish so overall I think it's up to the committees to decide. Perhaps a vote may be needed?

Personally I actually like the cream colour, even though the pup would have no mask

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Tiantai wrote:Well a little thing I am concern about in the light cream-coloured pups is that normally Grey wolves in the wild are NEVER born with that coat as pups. Neither do the Coywolf pups in the Hudson Bay regions who have northern Manitoban Grey wolves in their background. The Arctic wolves and Eurasian Tundra wolves develop it as they mature.
We are not breeding wolves, only look alikes, and it is not like their pack/litter mates will turn on them simply for being a different colour. I see no problem with Tamaskan pups being born white.

Now my opinion is a bit biased as Polar/Arctic Wolves have always been my favorite. Since we are trying to have a dog that looks like a wolf, why not accept a colour that you see in wolves (even though we are not trying for a specific breed of wolf)? Unless there are health reasons why a Tamaskan could not be accepted white/cream (like blindness or deafness for example, but I believe that is solid white, without cream or maybe grey overlay), I still see no reason not to accept it. I know some were concerned about hidden white spotting (such as blazes, white tip tail, full white face) but doesn't the genetics coat test also test for ink spotting? If it does, simply coat test the pups born white and if they carry that gene, then either match them up with a Tamaskan that does not carry it or not breed from them at all?

Again, I am all for the colour being accepted, especially since I'm sure we will be seeing more of it in the future and it may open more possibilities of accepting other dogs as outcrosses to help further the gene pool (not saying that the matings with a white/cream outcross would have to be white x white, easily can be white x grey).

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:12 pm

I am not against adding cream/white to the accepted colors. I just think that it's easiest to distinguish a Tam based on the coat markings and of course, their masking. I'd really love to see black phase as well! ;)

In regards to the cream/white breeding dogs - will there be an additional breeding requirement where both potential mates will need to be color tested? I am (VERY!) afraid of liver popping up in the breed. :?

Here's another random question: What would distinguish the Tamaskan from other similar breeds/breeds-in-progress? (i.e. the ANCD - they have agouti, black and white/cream as well as liver)

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm going to post here what I said on FB

I don't see the issue with accepting cream dogs in the standard, anatomy is what will give you a wolf like dog, colour is almost like the icing on the cake.
If this colour is going to crop up anyway, and is representative of colours seen in wolf populations, then logic should give you your answer as to which rout to take with it.
I'm not a particular fan of white, cream dogs, that shouldn't matter. The reason white GSD are undesirable in the standard, is simply down to personal preference, somewhere along the line, people decided they didn't like it, so it should go, same thing happened with brindle, imo because you simply don't like it, isn't good enough reason to reject it, when there are logical reasons for it to be included.
And surely, if cream dogs will be produced regardless, it really only becomes an admin issue, ie, what registration documents do you give them.

As for catagorising the colours in the standard, I think you're at risk of over complicating things by splitting shades into different groups.
You get wolf grey Estrela's, they're not split into light and dark, it's wolf grey, you get lighter ones and darker ones, some have black guard hairs, some don't, some have brindling, some don't.
Again using Labrador's as an example, you get yellow ones, that ranges from light cream to fox red, red fox. They're not split into light and dark.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Taz wrote:I'm going to post here what I said on FB

I don't see the issue with accepting cream dogs in the standard, anatomy is what will give you a wolf like dog, colour is almost like the icing on the cake.
If this colour is going to crop up anyway, and is representative of colours seen in wolf populations, then logic should give you your answer as to which rout to take with it.
I'm not a particular fan of white, cream dogs, that shouldn't matter. The reason white GSD are undesirable in the standard, is simply down to personal preference, somewhere along the line, people decided they didn't like it, so it should go, same thing happened with brindle, imo because you simply don't like it, isn't good enough reason to reject it, when there are logical reasons for it to be included.
And surely, if cream dogs will be produced regardless, it really only becomes an admin issue, ie, what registration documents do you give them.

As for catagorising the colours in the standard, I think you're at risk of over complicating things by splitting shades into different groups.
You get wolf grey Estrela's, they're not split into light and dark, it's wolf grey, you get lighter ones and darker ones, some have black guard hairs, some don't, some have brindling, some don't.
Again using Labrador's as an example, you get yellow ones, that ranges from light cream to fox red, red fox. They're not split into light and dark.
Agreed. Well said. I suppose a better question would be: how much red does a dog need to have to be considered Red/Grey and not Wolf/Grey? If a dog is registered as Wolf/Grey as a puppy, but is actually considered Red/Grey when matured, will the color on the dog's paperwork change to reflect that?

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:49 pm

arianwenarie wrote:
Taz wrote:I'm going to post here what I said on FB

Agreed. Well said. I suppose a better question would be: how much red does a dog need to have to be considered Red/Grey and not Wolf/Grey? If a dog is registered as Wolf/Grey as a puppy, but is actually considered Red/Grey when matured, will the color on the dog's paperwork change to reflect that?
Afraid I can't answer that one.
My opinion, or suggestion, would be that in such a case, where there is a marked change in colour when the dog has reached adulthood, then the owner could request that the info is updated to reflect that.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Taz wrote:
arianwenarie wrote:Agreed. Well said. I suppose a better question would be: how much red does a dog need to have to be considered Red/Grey and not Wolf/Grey? If a dog is registered as Wolf/Grey as a puppy, but is actually considered Red/Grey when matured, will the color on the dog's paperwork change to reflect that?
Afraid I can't answer that one.
My opinion, or suggestion, would be that in such a case, where there is a marked change in colour when the dog has reached adulthood, then the owner could request that the info is updated to reflect that.
Whups, I actually meant that as a catch-all question to everyone reading this thread. Not so much to you. Sorry for the confusion. lol. :oops:

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:04 pm

arianwenarie wrote:In regards to the cream/white breeding dogs - will there be an additional breeding requirement where both potential mates will need to be color tested? I am (VERY!) afraid of liver popping up in the breed. :?
Liver (bb) is not related to the white/cream (ee). Any dog could carry and pass on liver (IF liver is present in the bloodline), no matter the color as it is carried recessive like with the white/cream. Even though the white/cream covers the liver color you can still tell if the dog is liver or not as a white/cream (ee) dog normally has a black nose and eye rims but if it's liver then all the black will turn to brown so in that case the white/cream dog would have a brown nose and eye rims.

It's very well possible for livers to show up in the future as some Tamaskan bloodlines do carry it. The 'Malamute' x Jackal pups (Flower litter) can carry it and the 1st Muensterland litter can carry it. Winnie also carries liver, she is not used within the TDR but maybe some of her pups will? ANCD could also carry it.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:18 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:Unless there are health reasons why a Tamaskan could not be accepted white/cream (like blindness or deafness for example, but I believe that is solid white, without cream or maybe grey overlay)
Winter is recessive red (ee), like with White Swiss Shepherd for example, there's no health issues involved color wise. 'Extreme White Spotting' (S Locus) is what can cause health issues (like deafness) in dogs. These dogs are usually almost completely white. The 'white' is loss of pigment, and if this is around the ears... then they could be deaf.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:17 am

I have a question, is there a link between cream-colour and slightly light masking? Like say if a cream colour was bred with a red-grey?

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:20 am

Tiantai wrote:I have a question, is there a link between cream-colour and slightly light masking? Like say if a cream colour was bred with a red-grey?
no, but the cream could hide bad masking

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:31 pm

As I've said before, I think that if there is to be a category for Arctic wolf coloration, that it NEEDS to have at least some gray overlay. In Arctic wolves, they still have the "stripe" down their back just like other wolves, and even black tipped tails on some. So, if we add a category for that, the color needs to reflect that, otherwise we are just adding in white dogs, which don't reflect wolf coloration.
-Crystal

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:52 pm

well the closest to the color of arctic wolves would be the very light saddleback colored husky's

http://files.dogster.com/pix/dogs/87/80 ... 549953.jpg

though I don't think it's realistic to try and breed this coloring cause you would probably get more darker saddlebacks then light ones
and the darker ones do not look wolfy

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:30 pm

The Canadian Eskimo Dogs also have that stripe down the back.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:17 pm

Valravn wrote:The Canadian Eskimo Dogs also have that stripe down the back.
So do some Labrador Huskies from the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. Although those dogs also have a history of breeding with the Atlantic Grey wolves a few decades ago when some went feral for a time.

JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenTehLuv » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:08 pm

I do agree there should be two different colors since there are actual difference between the two. I personally like wolf grey moreso than silver grey and being able to talk to a breeder about the two when it comes to what should be listed on the breeding registration papers would be useful.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:20 pm

JenTehLuv wrote:I do agree there should be two different colors since there are actual difference between the two. I personally like wolf grey moreso than silver grey and being able to talk to a breeder about the two when it comes to what should be listed on the breeding registration papers would be useful.
I guess what I don't understand is this: What's the difference between GREY and SILVER? To me, "silver" is just a very pale grey. It's all about the intensity of the GREY COLOR.

To me, it's akin to creating a new color category for Labrador Retrievers: there's supposed to be Chocolate (liver), Black, White (very light yellow), Yellow and Red (dark yellow). What's the point? It creates confusion...Why should color intensity determine a new color when in actuality, it's NOT a completely different color?

I would understand adding cream/white as a color category because it's neither wolf grey, red grey nor black grey. Cream/white is truly a color.

darazan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by darazan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:47 pm

Vajente wrote:well the closest to the color of arctic wolves would be the very light saddleback colored husky's

http://files.dogster.com/pix/dogs/87/80 ... 549953.jpg

though I don't think it's realistic to try and breed this coloring cause you would probably get more darker saddlebacks then light ones
and the darker ones do not look wolfy
If it's not realistic to breed such a coloration, then I don't see the point in adding in that category. The darker saddlebacks don't look wolfy, truly.

As for the "Silver Gray" being considered a separate category from "Wolf Gray" I suppose that really depends on how Wolf Gray is defined. Would Wolf Gray have to have some tannish coloration whereas Silvers would not? I think that if it's simply that Silver Gray is the light end of the Wolf Gray spectrum, then there's no need for a separate category, but that if there are definable features of Silvers that are distinct from Wolf Grays beyond how light or dark the coat is, then separating those dogs out into a different color category is perfectly reasonable. After all, the Black Grays have distinct features from the other two colors, so there's no reason not to have Silvers meet such criteria as well.
-Crystal

JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenTehLuv » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:13 pm

The fact that people find it easier to talk about the two different colors means that it might be worthwhile to consider having silver grey be in its own catagory since its far easier to specify which color a person may be referring to. Wolf grey can have some red in it without being considered red grey, and that's how I see silver grey should be used. Just because silver grey may have some darker greyin it doesn't mean it should be the same as wolf grey since the coloration IS different between the two.

Whispyr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Whispyr » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Going to re-iterate what I said on the fb thread as well.

Definitely should include the cream color. After more thought, even if only one was added to describe the light tamaskans accurately, such as Silver Grey. Or adding both colors as was suggested earlier would be even better. ^^

Whispyr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Whispyr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:09 am

Going to attempt to get this thread going again with a recent litter born with some white pups (official classification has not been determined, though they appear white, not cream). I will be completely open and honest in that I would be interested in having a white Tamaskan for breeding, but the discussion was kind of left at a stale mate.

Who or where or what would need to happen for a decision to be made about this? Not sure who I should speak to or if it should just be having everyone continue to debate on this thread.

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:23 am

white is on this moment not an accepted color (and I hope it's not going to be either)

white and cream are the same btw, they are e/e which is recessive red, recessive reds can be as light as looking white or a deep red color and everything in between.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:07 am

Vajente wrote:white is on this moment not an accepted color (and I hope it's not going to be either)
At first I was in favor of adding cream as an accepted color but now, the more I think about it, the more I realize it would probably be a mistake... (much like adding liver or blue). I am curious to see how the cream pups will turn out, but I don't think they will look particularly wolfy as they will be solid white without a darker overlay.

However, I still hope to see a separate color category added for the classification of the light silver/white grey Tams (aw/aw) that already exist, which DO meet the current breed standard: Summer, Skye, Vega, Inkantan, Mika, etc etc.

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:33 am

I also don't like it. they will probably end up like winter, a grey overlay is definitely not possible e/e can't produce black hairs

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:07 am

I am sure I am just repeating myself, but I am still hoping to see white/cream added as an accepted coat colour, but that is because of my biased opinion with my love for Arctic/Polar Wolves. If white wolves did not exist, or there were health issues related to a Tamaskan being that colour, then I would be against it.
I do not think though, that anyone should breed specifically for that colour, or specifically for any colour for that matter, for example, one breeder breeds their dogs to get mostly dark coats, another breeder aims for a lighter colour.

With the recent litter born, I am also curious to see how they turn out.