TEETH (molars)

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

TEETH (molars)

Post by susann » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:39 pm

is there a different between molars when it comes to dogs (tamaskans) vs wolves?
Someone told us that dogs molars are tiny... and a wolfs molars are bigger.
There are a big different between Maccons and Midas molars.. :?

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: TEETH (molars)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:26 pm

That's an interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I do have a gray wolf skull here (from Alaska) that I could photograph and post. However, the dog skull I have is no where near in size to the wolf skull--so it's hard to compare. I've always read, however, that it's the size of the canines that was the big difference between domestic dogs and wolves.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Hawthorne wrote:That's an interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I do have a gray wolf skull here (from Alaska) that I could photograph and post. However, the dog skull I have is no where near in size to the wolf skull--so it's hard to compare. I've always read, however, that it's the size of the canines that was the big difference between domestic dogs and wolves.
Yes.. I know about the canines... but then a vet told us that a dogs molars are smaller than a wolfs.
Novas are small, Midas are small, Avons are small and Maccons are bigger.

I can try to take a photo of their molars :)

Just curious if the vet is right or wrong :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Hawthorne wrote:That's an interesting question. I don't know the answer, but I do have a gray wolf skull here (from Alaska) that I could photograph and post. However, the dog skull I have is no where near in size to the wolf skull--so it's hard to compare. I've always read, however, that it's the size of the canines that was the big difference between domestic dogs and wolves.
Yes.. I know about the canines... but then a vet told us that a dogs molars are smaller than a wolfs.
Novas are small, Midas are small, Avons are small and Maccons are bigger.

I can try to take a photo of their molars :)

Just curious if the vet is right or wrong about the molars :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:48 pm

photos of a wolf skull. This is Canis lupus from Alaska.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Great skull.. big :)
The first, second (and third) tooth behind the canines is the teeth the vet was talking about. She said that these teeth are the ones that are tiny on dogs and bigger (like the teeth on the skull) on wolfs.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 am

I can recall from skulls in the Royal Ontario Museum in the fossil section that the Grey wolf's fangs were 3 inches long (roughly estimated as I could not measure what was behind the glass) while the carnassials were very broad. However, when I looked at a few medium to large dogs owned by people I know including Snoopy my family's Alusky, they always turned out smaller. Snoopy's fangs and carnassials are more narrow. Though he's only one dog out of the millions on the planet. I know that many large dogs such as the Kurdish Shepherds do have the ability to break a person's bones from a heavy bite (most breeds with broader skulls have ACTUALLY surpassed the bite levels of a wild Grey wolf by the way) but I still don't know for sure if their teeth are as big or bigger than the wolves since I have yet to encounter some of those dogs. I do know however that the Pit bulls have broader teeth than the Siberian Husky based on four friendly (and licky) dogs that I've met and the Newfoundland dogs also have quite a scary mouth full of broad teeth though neither of those breeds have anything close to the pure wolves. The one Newfoundland that knocked me over sure looked like he could out-bite the pit bulls however :shock:

So in the end, I haven't seen any dog with teeth larger than the wild wolves but I DO believe there are.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:59 pm

Three inch canines? Maybe root and all, or maybe of dire wolves, but not on gray wolves. As you can see from the photo above, the canine is about an inch long.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Yeah I probably measured from the roots :lol:

And no it wasn't a dire wolf, the sign said Canis lupus occidentalis, a subspecies native to the Mackenzie Valley and the same one that was reintroduced into the Yellowstone