How much excercise does your tam need?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

How much excercise does your tam need?

Post by martinbernstein » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:04 pm

Froya, my three year old Tamaskan gets a varying amount of exercise. When we were hiking across the country she walked up to 20 miles a day carrying 20% of her body weight on her back, and loved it!

Now that we live a more sedentary lifestyle she gets between 3 to 6 miles of walking or jogging every day, and is perfectly fine with that. And she's a well behaved dog as far as northern dog breeds go.

Some bad dog behaviors cannot be modified simply by excercising sufficiently, but it can go a long way in reducing the severity of behavior problems. I'm curious to know how much exercise other tams need to not be off the wall batshit insane (severe separation anxiety behavior, trying to escape, major leash pulling, fighting leash, fighting dogs, etc)?

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: How much excercise does your tam need?

Post by Katlin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:42 am

Wylie needs about 1 hour of solid, full out running a day. He can do with 3-4 walks but he really loves to run. If I don't run him he gets the "zoomies" in the basement and will lose his mind running around, raping Sam's face, trying to steal my socks off my feet, ect. I either have to run him with Sam, or take him longboarding where he runs in front, but just off to the side of me (no real pulling yet). If he's tired and we've worn him out then he'll drink, eat, chew his toys for a bit, and then pass out.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Vroni » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:12 am

Jack is now 2,5 years old and he do not need much excercise. I do walk half an hour or an hour with him in the morning where he can sniff everywhere. Than we are at work for 8 hours (he is outside and I am inside) and in the evening we drive to friends where he can play, to the horse or we do nothing. He is such a good and calm dog, I would never want another! In summer he is a lot more calmer than in winter. In winter we do pulling with the scooter a lot which he really loves.
But I know Tamaskans which do need much more excercise!
The only thing he really needs is contact to other dogs (specially wolfdogs or nordic breeds) and he get this minimum 1 time a week.
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 am

In winter both tamaskans get a lot of training as sleddogs, but in spring/summer they actually dont need anything...
They are perfectly happy living as couch potatoes :lol:

They love it when I take them out... But they dont need it. No problems with behavior or overly active or what ever.
The only thing I can get Kal-le really depressed with, is not spending enough time with us as a family. When he is outside in the kennel with the other dogs, he gets seriously sad and lethargic.
He is a real family dog.
Magu is easier. He ha no problem with staying in the kennel all day.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

We try to give our dogs at least a 30 minute walking the morning everyday. Ulric had to go 2 weeks without any walks per vet because he broke a toenail during one of our walks (we have very rough asphalt roads and no sidewalks in my neighborhood). With or without walks he is happy either way, loves his walks, but is also happy being a couch potato. As long as he has his puzzle games (mental exercizes) while I am gone at work, he does not get into trouble.
Zelda is different, if we take her for a walk, it is like the walks make her more hyper. After coming home from one, she is more bouncy and playful (more likely to get into trouble). We don't mind it though :)

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Balto can take it or leave it. He comes to work with me and several times a day goes out in an exercise yard for a wee and a "run" (hr usually just walks around sniffing and weeing). Depending on the dogs boarding, he has a play mate, and he also plays with my other dog when we get home (I don't take tyson to work often, he has some anxiety issues).
Image Image

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:05 am

Mowgli gets walked for 15-30 minutes 3 times per day (longer on weekends), and we take him to the dog park in the evenings for about 40 minutes (he's 8 months - 5 minutes per month so as not to over exercise him). He is Mr. Lazy during the day and sleeps for the most part. On rainy days his walks are short and we don't go to the park, but he's typically just as mellow. If he doesn't get out for a good run for a few days straight he can be a bit boisterous, but his bursts of energy are short lived. We try to do a few training exercises daily as well to keep him mentally stimulated.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:13 am

Some bad behaviours actually DO go away when a dog is at a pretty old age. Snoopy the Alusky used to give me hell, escaping, chasing animals, climbing into places that even a cat wouldn't (Miran knows the full story) but now as an old dog he doesn't do them anymore, just running and happily minding his things

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:40 pm

In summer when it is lighter longer Sam gets 4 hour walks... 2 hour in the morning and 2 hour in the evening... In winter he is good with his 2 hour in the morning. He doesn't really need to walk because he is not bouncing off the walls if i don't take him on rainy days (he hates rainy days and refuses to walk in puddles), he just likes to walk.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by martinbernstein » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:28 am

Interesting to see the differences in exercise needs for different tams. My Karelian Bear Dog is much more hyper and needy than my Tamaskan, and he's the real reason I walk both my dogs as much as I do. Froya (Tamaskan) would likely be ok with two or three 15 minute walks a day.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:26 pm

My Zephyr gets a 3 mile walk a day in the summer... then we go out and do other things on an almost daily basis (Park, beach, Pet Store, hike..ect) IN the winter we go dog sleding every other day 3-10 miles average and then on the days in between we go on a short 2 mile walk. He has more energy in the winter when it is cooler.