Shedding - Tamaskans vs german shepherds (and other breeds)

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Shedding - Tamaskans vs german shepherds (and other breeds)

Post by chelle784 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:20 pm

I was wondering just out of interest, those of you with german shepherds and tamaskans - which do you find sheds the most? I've heard that german shepherds shed a lot throughout the year but is it really that much more than the tamaskans during their seasonal shedding?

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Shedding - Tamaskans vs german shepherds (and other bree

Post by chelle784 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:28 am

Oh ok no1 has a gsd and tamaskan! What about other comparisons?

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:21 am

There are a couple users here who either have both or have had both before. They just might not want to post or have not been on here since you've posted the question (some people are hardly on here)

sometimes when you look for answers you get a bunch, and sometimes you get crickets :lol: I know that doesn't really help but I wanted you to know that your question hasn't gone completely unseen :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:07 am

We have 2 Tamaskans and a German Shepherd mix (Lab/ Australian Cattle Dog x German Shepherd). Our Tamaskans look like they shed more, but that also may because their longer light coloured fur is more noticeable than our mix's shorter black fur.

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:40 am

my tam and GSD shed about the same amount of hairs but my GSD's coat seems to be more efficient in shedding, it is done sooner and doesn't tangle

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:12 am

Thanks for your replies :)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:16 pm

now we have not had our GSD for more than 7 months and she is yet a puppy, but she seem to shed more allround although the Tamaskan did shed a lot a few times a year (and when stressed)..
probably around the same deal when it comes down to it..
>> Nino <<

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:51 pm

I had a GSD before my Tam and i have found my Tam sheds a lot more than my GSD ever did...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

kcyin1569
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kcyin1569 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:36 am

Speaking as a professional dog groomer, I don't think it would really matter whether or not a GSD or a Tam sheds more than the other. To be honest, I'd assume that they shed about the same if properly taken care of (brushed thoroughly once a week or so, and every day during the changing of seasons). I'd only assume that Tams would shed a little more due to their Northern bloodlines and heritage, but only when in an area that can be quite warm in summer (or warm all around). As long as you brush and bathe your GSD and/or your Tam on a regular basis, the shedding for both should be to a minimal.
When the wolves cry
to the Blue Corn Moon,
When they howl at
the passing of mountains,
When their gold eyes
pierce your mind and soul,
When you become one
with the wolf within,
then I will love you.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:18 pm

My boy's shedding is bizarre lately...

He sheds evenly during summer, daily brushing is needed (GSD only needed weekly grooming).
But now it's the end of summer, it's considerably cooler than it was but he now needs brushing 3 times a day or he ends up with those fur tufts sticking up... After a 4 hour period, he looks like a neglected dog that hasn't been brushed for weeks...

4 hours after a 2 hour grooming sesh.

Could diet have anything to do with increased fur loss? Just curious... Just seem's weird.

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Thessa
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Thessa » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:02 pm

TerriHolt wrote:
Could diet have anything to do with increased fur loss? Just curious... Just seem's weird.
I think it does. When our SWS was on kibble we vacuumed the hous every day en at the end of the day it already looked like a snow globe ( SWS are known for shedding a lot). We brushed her 2 a week with the furminator but that didn't matter. Since we feed raw (based on BARF) we only have to vacuum every 2 or 3 days.
But she's also shedding a lot this summer. We think that's because of the weather since it changes constantly (2 days ago 32 degrees and now 17).

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:05 pm

Thessa wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:
I think it does. When our SWS was on kibble we vacuumed the hous every day en at the end of the day it already looked like a snow globe ( SWS are known for shedding a lot). We brushed her 2 a week with the furminator but that didn't matter. Since we feed raw (based on BARF) we only have to vacuum every 2 or 3 days.
But she's also shedding a lot this summer. We think that's because of the weather since it changes constantly (2 days ago 32 degrees and now 17).
I am feeding raw but he has developed a refusal to eat. Over months he would lose weight one month by a couple of kg then put it back on the following month. But last month he lost 3kg and the month before he lost 4kg because he is eating 1 or 2 of his daily meals. His excessive fur loss started within this time frame which is why i thought it could be that. I've been looking into supplements for lack of eating, like we have Complan Nutritional Drink‎ (my granddad uses it because he can't eat anything) to see if that will stop his excessive moulting.

But now i know it could be that, i'll just have to deal with excess fur and grooming and hope his appetite picks up in cooler weather (and continue to try to force feed him, usually "the cats gonna get it" works but i don't want him to eat my cat if he just happens to walk past :lol: )...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein