Are these dogs Tamaskan or a different breed?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by balto13 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:52 pm

The pictures provided of the original dog are pretty dark and not very easy to guess what other breeds could be in there, but I personally wouldn't say some husky is impossible. I am guessing you got those pictures from google? May not be the best source for "wolfy" looking huskies. Mix is pretty all encompassing as nobody knows what other breeds are in there and this dog is not pure wolf, did you read husky mix as " 50% wolf and 50% husky"? Because I would agree that it's not that black & white but husky is a very valid possibility.

User avatar
caninesrock
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:44 pm
Location: USA

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by caninesrock » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:27 am

balto13 wrote:The pictures provided of the original dog are pretty dark and not very easy to guess what other breeds could be in there, but I personally wouldn't say some husky is impossible. I am guessing you got those pictures from google? May not be the best source for "wolfy" looking huskies. Mix is pretty all encompassing as nobody knows what other breeds are in there and this dog is not pure wolf, did you read husky mix as " 50% wolf and 50% husky"? Because I would agree that it's not that black & white but husky is a very valid possibility.
The pics look fine to me. I can see the dog clearly. I never said there isn't any husky at all in there. I just don't think he looks anything like a purebred husky. I got the pictures from http://www.huskycolors.com/colors.html as mentioned above.All husky photos on that site were donated by owners and/or breeders of those dogs. I never said he was a pure wolf. In the full body pic, it's clear that he is way too small to be a pure wolf. But I am convinced that he is a wolfdog with atleast some wolf in him, and yes possibly crossed with husky. Heck,it's now known that Tamaskans have wolf in them, and they look less wolfy than the pictured dog.With wolfdogs, you can't really tell percentages,but if I had to put a percentage on him, I'd go with maybe 60% wolf and 40% husky as he looks more like a wolf than a husky imo,though I guess I can see a tiny bit of husky there.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by balto13 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:15 am

caninesrock wrote:
balto13 wrote:The pictures provided of the original dog are pretty dark and not very easy to guess what other breeds could be in there, but I personally wouldn't say some husky is impossible. I am guessing you got those pictures from google? May not be the best source for "wolfy" looking huskies. Mix is pretty all encompassing as nobody knows what other breeds are in there and this dog is not pure wolf, did you read husky mix as " 50% wolf and 50% husky"? Because I would agree that it's not that black & white but husky is a very valid possibility.
The pics look fine to me. I can see the dog clearly. I never said there isn't any husky at all in there. I just don't think he looks anything like a purebred husky. I got the pictures from http://www.huskycolors.com/colors.html as mentioned above.All husky photos on that site were donated by owners and/or breeders of those dogs. I never said he was a pure wolf. In the full body pic, it's clear that he is way too small to be a pure wolf. But I am convinced that he is a wolfdog with atleast some wolf in him, and yes possibly crossed with husky. Heck,it's now known that Tamaskans have wolf in them, and they look less wolfy than the pictured dog.With wolfdogs, you can't really tell percentages,but if I had to put a percentage on him, I'd go with maybe 60% wolf and 40% husky as he looks more like a wolf than a husky imo,though I guess I can see a tiny bit of husky there.

I am sorry if I have offended you, I never said that you claimed that the dog was pure wolf or that there was no wolf content, but she never claimed it was pure husky :? I was trying to say that husky mix (as in has some husky in him) is possible .

edit: turned up my brightness and can see the pictures better

User avatar
aerowrx
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:07 am
Location: USA

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by aerowrx » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:53 am

Looks like high content wolf dog or at least mid content with some kind of wolf mimic breed. It looks more wolf than a 50% content wolf dog I've seen

User avatar
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 5203
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 am

aerowrx wrote:Looks like high content wolf dog or at least mid content with some kind of wolf mimic breed. It looks more wolf than a 50% content wolf dog I've seen
IMHO: his eyes are too rounded for a high content or mid-content wolfdog (and not light enough). He also has tan coat markings - probably mostly husky mixed with GSD or perhaps some other random domestic breed.
Image
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

User avatar
Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1306
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:37 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by Lynwae » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:51 pm

caninesrock wrote: With wolfdogs, you can't really tell percentages,but if I had to put a percentage on him, I'd go with maybe 60% wolf and 40% husky as he looks more like a wolf than a husky imo,though I guess I can see a tiny bit of husky there.
You're leaving in a dream.

Here is an exemple of a 60% content wolfdog, 7months old!!!!
1090988_10200365178953138_1758042624_o.jpg

Cant you see the differences with the one you showed to us?
He's a nice dog, for sure, but at most a low content. No more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1306
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:37 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by Lynwae » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:02 pm

I will be more precise :
The fur isn't enought tight and long for even a mid.
The eyes haven't the right shape and are very round.
(The color doesn't mind as some wolf have a very dark ember eyes color)
The muzle is too short an has not the "right" shape.
The mask is very good anyway.
You found the color very good, but one of the easy spotting wolf characteristic in this type of coat is black hairs on the front legs. I don't see that on reeby.
The legs are too shorts.
The ears are not at the right place for a wd and don't have one of the accepting form and height.
Well. He's a husky mix, possible low content. And that's very good for him and his future owner. :)

User avatar
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 pm
Location: Canada (North York, Ontario)

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by Tiantai » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:53 am

What breeds of dogs are behind that 60% mid-content?
Image

User avatar
Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1306
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:37 am
Location: France
Contact:

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by Lynwae » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:55 am

A little bit of CZV (1/4)
The lines of Southern Breeze (3/4), and she used german sheperd and malamute at the beginning of her line, a few gen back. :)

User avatar
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2558
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:16 pm
Location: Canada (North York, Ontario)

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by Tiantai » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:43 am

Lynwae wrote:A little bit of CZV (1/4)
The lines of Southern Breeze (3/4), and she used german sheperd and malamute at the beginning of her line, a few gen back. :)
I see, I suspected that the dogs MUST have been northern spitz types too because I've seen upper-mid contents that were produced from generations of crossing non-spitz and then backcrossed with other mid contents and look less wolfish as a result. From my understanding, most upper-mid contents who look VERY wolfish are because their dog genes are derived from HUskies, Malamutes, or German Shepherds. But when people cross wolves with Poodles like the experiment done in Germany decades ago or with labs, golden retrievers, rotts, or even with none-lupine spitz like the chows, even an upper mids of such wolfdogs would look less wolfish because those dog genes buffer some of the wolf-like traits a bit more.
Image

Whispyr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:11 am
Location: North America

Re: Is this a Tamaskan, Wolfdog cross, or something else?

Post by Whispyr » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:38 am

I could have swore I saw this picture, as well as some others recently in another topic on the forum that it was from a Canadian line of working dogs. Need to hunt around for a bit.

User avatar
Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:17 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Dealing with "That's a Wolf!"

Post by Tatzel » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:14 pm

blackthumb wrote:
Katlin wrote:Hahaha glad that's cleared up! You have dogs from Kevin, yes?
No, we got ours from folks in the Baltimore, MD area, not sure where they got theirs from originally.

I believe Kevin had arranged to breed one of his to their bitch, but I don't think that worked out - they didn't have too many nice things to say about Kevin.
I... I don't want to be offensive or anything, but I don't think it is correct to call your dog Tamaskan.

Of course you could argue wether Tamaskans are nothing but well-bred mutts at this point either, but honestly the dog on your icon does neither fit the standart of a Tamaskan (masking), nor does it look like any of the other Tams, and a questionmark remains on who the parents are (were both of them registered Tamaskans? What line(s)?)

Don't get me wrong, your dog looks nice, but I don't think calling it a Tamaskan is correct.
Image

User avatar
blackthumb
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:39 pm
Location: South Central Pennsylvania

Re: Dealing with "That's a Wolf!"

Post by blackthumb » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Tatzel wrote:I... I don't want to be offensive or anything, but I don't think it is correct to call your dog Tamaskan. Really? Since the mother and father are Tamaskans, what would YOU like to call them?

Of course you could argue wether Tamaskans are nothing but well-bred mutts at this point either,Correct, they are beautiful mutts, however, considering the controversy and deceit surrounding them, I'm not sure all of them are even "well-bred". but honestly the dog on your icon does neither fit the standart of a Tamaskan (masking), nor does it look like any of the other Tams,Actually, Loki and Hank are almost IDENTICAL to alot of the dogs I see on this very site and on the FB page) and a questionmark remains on who the parents areYOU question their parentage. Why is that important to YOU? (were both of them registered Tamaskans?Sire is white, so it's a no-go for him, however the dam IS registered. What line(s)?) Quite frankly, none of your business. I'm not being secretive, but I'm not selling, breeding or showing, so why do you care SO much?

Don't get me wrong, your dog looks nice, but I don't think calling it a Tamaskan is correct.
That's part of the beauty of living in America, you can "think" anything you like, regardless of the facts - no thought-police...yet ;)

I've been asked about his lineage before, which strikes me as curious. I have no desire to "make a buck" off of these dogs, they are simply our family companions. Two males can't produce offspring so obviously we're not planning on breeding them and folks with a "registered" Tam bitch would most-likely not be interested in breeding with non-registered dogs, so again...what is your problem?

You don't want them to be called Tamaskans, yet both parents are Tamaskans. I have no interest in lying, what possible gain is there?

You don't like Loki's mask. Whoopie-doo! Notice many, MANY of the Tam pix have dogs with light masks, and remember, Loki is still only 10 months old, his mask may, or may not come in. Regardless, he's still a Tam. Lately, his tail has started to curl over his back instead of the sickle curve he had when he was younger, and it actually touches his back. OH DEAR!!!!! Guess what, I don't care AND that big curly tail doesn't change his parentage one single bit. He's a bulky dog, with a light mask and a curly tail, however, his brother, Hank, is long, lean and has that typical Tam straight tail.

I don't consider your post and questions "offensive", I do, however, consider them a sign of snobbery. I live a simple life and don't consider a registered dog as a status-symbol worth chasing, my status comes from my quiet deeds and good standing in my community. If possessing little pieces of paper that say your dog is "registered", and having your dog's name, alongside yours, on a dog website is so important to how you live your life, good on you, but that's not my style and I'd rather not participate in that type of behavior.

Enjoy your day, Tatzel, and thanks for the stimulating convo. It's always interesting to interact with someone so much different from oneself.
Personal Responsibility. Get it. Use it.

User avatar
Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1817
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Pennsylvania | USA
Contact:

Re: Dealing with "That's a Wolf!"

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:51 pm

I don't think we need to sling mud at folks who are here to learn. Let's try and be civil to one another :D
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Dealing with "That's a Wolf!"

Post by balto13 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:07 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I don't think we need to sling mud at folks who are here to learn. Let's try and be civil to one another :D
very well said Hawthorne! :D <3

User avatar
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 4802
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Princeton, TX US
Contact:

Re: Dealing with "That's a Wolf!"

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:49 am

blackthumb wrote:Really? Since the mother and father are Tamaskans, what would YOU like to call them?
blackthumb wrote:Sire is white, so it's a no-go for him,...
There is only one white Tamaskan, and he lives in the Netherlands with Wolfsbane. So that would make your boy's father not a Tamaskan, therefore making your first comment incorrect.
blackthumb wrote:... however the dam IS registered.
If she is registered under the Tamaskan Dog Register (TDR), then yes, she is a Tamaskan. If she is "registered' under some different registry, then she is most likely is not a Tamaskan.
blackthumb wrote:You don't want them to be called Tamaskans, yet both parents are Tamaskans. I have no interest in lying, what possible gain is there?
The parents of your dogs would have to be Tasha (Moonstone Lovelight) x Moose (Blustag Wanderer) or from Tundra (Moonstone Eternity) x Moose (Blustag Wanderer) or your dogs grandparents on both sides be Tasha (Moonstone Lovelight) x Moose (Blustag Wanderer) and/or Tundra (Moonstone Eternity)x Moose (Blustag Wanderer) to be a full Tamaskan because RPK only had 3 Tamaskan dogs and would breed them and their offspring, then later adding other mixed breeds making them no longer Tamaskans.
I myself am against misrepresentation of any kind, you already pointed out how the father is a white dog, which is not a Tamaskan (registered or not does not matter) and none of the 3 dogs that RPK started with had any white dogs behind them, so your dogs are only Tamaskan mixes, if that. When your dogs don't meet the breed standard and are not Tamaskan dogs, you must understand why it bothers others when you call your dogs Tamaskans (like Tatzel for example who does not even have a Tamaskan dog).
blackthumb wrote:Actually, Loki and Hank are almost IDENTICAL to alot of the dogs I see on this very site and on the FB page)
I believe this is a matter of opinion, I myself really disagree with this. There is only one Tamaskan with a full white mask, few others with more faded masks.

I mean this in no way to be "mud slinging" or "snobbery" but just represent your dogs for what they really are. Registered status does not make them Tamaskans or not, as I said earlier, RPK had 3 Tamaskan dogs originally, only one litter was actually registered before anything was found out about him. He still bred Tamaskans for a while, even though they were not registered, but as soon as he started adding his other breeds, the new dogs born from the Tamaskan x other breed are not Tamaskan dogs but just mixed breeds.
While I had each of my foster dogs who was suspected to be part Tamaskan because of their looks, I would often tell anyone who asked that they "were possible Tamaskan mixes or just Husky mixes".
I don't mean to "police" what people think or call their dogs, I don't mean to seem "snobbish", I am just against misrepresentation of any kind. Please forgive and understand me for this.
Image

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Dealing with "That's a Wolf!"

Post by balto13 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:14 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:
blackthumb wrote:Really? Since the mother and father are Tamaskans, what would YOU like to call them?
blackthumb wrote:Sire is white, so it's a no-go for him,...
There is only one white Tamaskan, and he lives in the Netherlands with Wolfsbane. So that would make your boy's father not a Tamaskan, therefore making your first comment incorrect.
blackthumb wrote:... however the dam IS registered.
If she is registered under the Tamaskan Dog Register (TDR), then yes, she is a Tamaskan. If she is "registered' under some different registry, then she is most likely is not a Tamaskan.
blackthumb wrote:You don't want them to be called Tamaskans, yet both parents are Tamaskans. I have no interest in lying, what possible gain is there?
The parents of your dogs would have to be Tasha (Moonstone Lovelight) x Moose (Blustag Wanderer) or from Tundra (Moonstone Eternity) x Moose (Blustag Wanderer) or your dogs grandparents on both sides be Tasha (Moonstone Lovelight) x Moose (Blustag Wanderer) and/or Tundra (Moonstone Eternity)x Moose (Blustag Wanderer) to be a full Tamaskan because RPK only had 3 Tamaskan dogs and would breed them and their offspring, then later adding other mixed breeds making them no longer Tamaskans.
I myself am against misrepresentation of any kind, you already pointed out how the father is a white dog, which is not a Tamaskan (registered or not does not matter) and none of the 3 dogs that RPK started with had any white dogs behind them, so your dogs are only Tamaskan mixes, if that. When your dogs don't meet the breed standard and are not Tamaskan dogs, you must understand why it bothers others when you call your dogs Tamaskans (like Tatzel for example who does not even have a Tamaskan dog).
blackthumb wrote:Actually, Loki and Hank are almost IDENTICAL to alot of the dogs I see on this very site and on the FB page)
I believe this is a matter of opinion, I myself really disagree with this. There is only one Tamaskan with a full white mask, few others with more faded masks.

I mean this in no way to be "mud slinging" or "snobbery" but just represent your dogs for what they really are. Registered status does not make them Tamaskans or not, as I said earlier, RPK had 3 Tamaskan dogs originally, only one litter was actually registered before anything was found out about him. He still bred Tamaskans for a while, even though they were not registered, but as soon as he started adding his other breeds, the new dogs born from the Tamaskan x other breed are not Tamaskan dogs but just mixed breeds.
While I had each of my foster dogs who was suspected to be part Tamaskan because of their looks, I would often tell anyone who asked that they "were possible Tamaskan mixes or just Husky mixes".
I don't mean to "police" what people think or call their dogs, I don't mean to seem "snobbish", I am just against misrepresentation of any kind. Please forgive and understand me for this.

Really? After Hawthorne had already addressed the situation? I find this to be a bit overkill :oops: The thing is, you do sound snobby and like a breed police. It's not educational and makes it easier for the people you're fighting (non TDR registered breeders) to say "see, look at how they treat you. We're nicer here". It's actually how a lot of the people who get non registered tams. There is a way to address people, it's not their fault that there are so many breeders claiming to be "real" breeders when the breed isn't even really recognized by a kennel. It's a sticky situation and I find that most people don't even mean to "give the breed a bad name" when they call their dogs tams or tam mixes .... no wonder that other user said they were so afraid to be shunned on the forum :?
Salandbarbara wrote: I thought I was going to get a beautiful Tamaskan pup and be part of this awesome community of Tam-lovers. Now, after the countless hours of reading, I have a feeling that I will be shunned from the community and my future family member will be also.

I am not saying people shouldn't be educated, far from, I just would like to see people who find it their "duty" to "educate" people on their dog breeds to do it with at least with more tact. It's not black/white, you don't have to chose from hurting somebodies feelings and telling them the truth. I will have to log off now, this has hit a spot for me because I was treated pretty rudely when I first came into the community but Kevin was too fishy for me to give him a chance AND eventually two TDR breeders took me under their wing and apologized for my previous experience. Good on them, and other tam reps, for being polite!

User avatar
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 4802
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Princeton, TX US
Contact:

Re: Are these dogs Tamaskan or a different breed?

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:03 am

balto13 wrote:Really? After Hawthorne had already addressed the situation? I find this to be a bit overkill :oops: The thing is, you do sound snobby and like a breed police. It's not educational and makes it easier for the people you're fighting (non TDR registered breeders) to say "see, look at how they treat you. We're nicer here". It's actually how a lot of the people who get non registered tams. There is a way to address people, it's not their fault that there are so many breeders claiming to be "real" breeders when the breed isn't even really recognized by a kennel. It's a sticky situation and I find that most people don't even mean to "give the breed a bad name" when they call their dogs tams or tam mixes .... no wonder that other user said they were so afraid to be shunned on the forum :?
Salandbarbara wrote: I thought I was going to get a beautiful Tamaskan pup and be part of this awesome community of Tam-lovers. Now, after the countless hours of reading, I have a feeling that I will be shunned from the community and my future family member will be also.

I am not saying people shouldn't be educated, far from, I just would like to see people who find it their "duty" to "educate" people on their dog breeds to do it with at least with more tact. It's not black/white, you don't have to chose from hurting somebodies feelings and telling them the truth. I will have to log off now, this has hit a spot for me because I was treated pretty rudely when I first came into the community but Kevin was too fishy for me to give him a chance AND eventually two TDR breeders took me under their wing and apologized for my previous experience. Good on them, and other tam reps, for being polite!
How else would you explain to them that they are wrong on what their dogs are? How would I explain with more tact? I really don't understand how I am mean or hurting feelings in this way? If I were to of gotten a dog from a fake breeder and it is not the breed I thought it was, I would like to know and call it what it really is! I'm not trying to say it's their fault, it is the "breeder" for conning them. I am not shunning their dogs, I have not said that just because their dog may not be Tamaskan, that I don't want to see it or that they should not join in any activities with Tamaskans, I really would love to see more photos (who does not like photos of dogs?) and engage in conversations about our dogs.

I really am sorry for my "snobbery", I really am sorry for my way of thinking, and I really am sorry for being aweful at explaining anything (many who know me know I am not good with words), and maybe my people skills just suck, I'm sorry. :(
Image

User avatar
Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 8:44 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Does anybody know if this really is a Tamaskan Dog?

Post by Nimwey » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:57 am

Kootenaywolf wrote:Image
I hadn't seen several of these pictures before, and I have to say, you could actually make me believe this was a real wolf. :o (And normally I don't think CsV are that similar to wolves at all.)
Maybe I would expect less pointy ears and a slightly longer face, but let's face it, the wolf is a very varied species and those things differ a lot between subspecies and populations.

So you're sure he doesn't have any more wolf? :lol: Although looking at the two other pictures of the same dog, I'm pretty convinced (there he looks very doggy).
I'm in love with that picture however. :)
Image
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:40 am

Re: Are these dogs Tamaskan or a different breed?

Post by balto13 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:37 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:
balto13 wrote:Really? After Hawthorne had already addressed the situation? I find this to be a bit overkill :oops: The thing is, you do sound snobby and like a breed police. It's not educational and makes it easier for the people you're fighting (non TDR registered breeders) to say "see, look at how they treat you. We're nicer here". It's actually how a lot of the people who get non registered tams. There is a way to address people, it's not their fault that there are so many breeders claiming to be "real" breeders when the breed isn't even really recognized by a kennel. It's a sticky situation and I find that most people don't even mean to "give the breed a bad name" when they call their dogs tams or tam mixes .... no wonder that other user said they were so afraid to be shunned on the forum :?
Salandbarbara wrote: I thought I was going to get a beautiful Tamaskan pup and be part of this awesome community of Tam-lovers. Now, after the countless hours of reading, I have a feeling that I will be shunned from the community and my future family member will be also.

I am not saying people shouldn't be educated, far from, I just would like to see people who find it their "duty" to "educate" people on their dog breeds to do it with at least with more tact. It's not black/white, you don't have to chose from hurting somebodies feelings and telling them the truth. I will have to log off now, this has hit a spot for me because I was treated pretty rudely when I first came into the community but Kevin was too fishy for me to give him a chance AND eventually two TDR breeders took me under their wing and apologized for my previous experience. Good on them, and other tam reps, for being polite!
How else would you explain to them that they are wrong on what their dogs are? How would I explain with more tact? I really don't understand how I am mean or hurting feelings in this way? If I were to of gotten a dog from a fake breeder and it is not the breed I thought it was, I would like to know and call it what it really is! I'm not trying to say it's their fault, it is the "breeder" for conning them. I am not shunning their dogs, I have not said that just because their dog may not be Tamaskan, that I don't want to see it or that they should not join in any activities with Tamaskans, I really would love to see more photos (who does not like photos of dogs?) and engage in conversations about our dogs.

I really am sorry for my "snobbery", I really am sorry for my way of thinking, and I really am sorry for being aweful at explaining anything (many who know me know I am not good with words), and maybe my people skills just suck, I'm sorry. :(
I think there is always a nicer way to explain things to people. Not that I should talk after that rant I went on, but it gets old seeing the same people harp and harp on others when I get the feeling most people here just want to talk about their dog. Not get publicly told off. You don't always have to bluntly say "you're wrong" or "you're misrepresenting the breed". Try getting to know a person and their dog first. Or if you have to point out how wrong they are right off the bat could you at least try to keep it short and sweet? even a "Your dog is cute, I don't know if it's a pure tam (registered or none registered) but I also don't know the parents." - try to remember that their dog is their family, and you CAN be tactful and not just assume they don't want to hear the truth so darn it all and just wag your finger at them :/ Anyways, I am taking this thread way way off topic and beating a dead horse. I just hope in the future other MODS handle the situation like Hawthorne did and leave it at.

User avatar
Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:00 am
Location: 9500 Villach

Re: Are these dogs Tamaskan or a different breed?

Post by Cornelia1986 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm with balto 13 in this topic - I know that HiTenshi do not want to be rude. Dogs and breeding is always an emotional thing - and there is no way to speak really objectively about this topic if you are personally involved with a Tamaskan/Tamaskan mix or whatever. If blackthumps dogs are no purebred Tamaskan dogs - who cares? Ziva from Sunkmanitu and other foundation dogs are now Tamaskan dogs even if their parents where mixes/Huskeys/Sarloos Wolfdogs and so on. I would have a problem with it if blackthump would want to breed them but he do not want to. Also other Tams have bad/huskylike maskings - and still they are beautiful and adorable.
And if blackthumps dogs are just Tamaskan-look-alikes and no purebrd Tams then this is also fine. We do not need to write it over and over again. This discussion did take place earlier and everyone made his/her opinion clear. Maybe we can stop now-for a better togehter.
I think it is better to have to pissed people on the Forum than one in triumph and one who quits his/her membership. :lol:
Hope everyone gets what I try to say :)
There once was a wolf-
a wolf lonlier than the mountains

User avatar
Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:17 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Are these dogs Tamaskan or a different breed?

Post by Tatzel » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:07 pm

I just think it's incorrect to call your dog a Tamaskan when it appearently is not!
It's just like calling a GSD-mix a pure GSD if it is not. It's just incorrect, plain and simple.

For all that matters, just because your dog is not a pure Tamaskan does not mean that it takes away anything from it's beauty. It's just not what you expected to obtain, which however is not the fault of the people who pointed out that you have appearently been scammed, so please don't turn your negative feelings towards us.
Image

User avatar
arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 5:07 pm
Location: USA

Re: Are these dogs Tamaskan or a different breed?

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:19 pm

I've been trying very hard to keep my mouth shut in this little quibble, but it keeps going....unfortunately.

I understand how both parties feel, but this public thread is NOT the place to continue quibbling. Please, as a fellow user of this forum, I'm asking those involved to take this into private messaging. If a debate is what you're looking for, then please join the Tamaskan Debate & Discussion page on facebook - it's there for a reason. Start a new post there and talk away...but civilly.

Post Reply