Elevator Speech

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
BlossomB
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Elevator Speech

Post by BlossomB » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:53 am

Everyone knows what an elevator speech is, right? Be able to explain a topic in a detailed manner, but kept short enough to be able to pitch in the time of an elevator ride. Hence the name elevator speech :)

Anyway, after immersing myself in the Tam community for the past year or so as much as I can, whenever I tell anyone about the breed, I have my typical short-ish pitch. I'm wondering, though, anyone have a really good "elevator" speech to describe this breed in progress? :) It's always exciting to promote this breed, but it'd be nice to have my little slogan in the back of my head that I can easily and accurately pull out in any conversation. (Otherwise I go on and on talking about Tamaskans ahaha)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Elevator Speech

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Really short version: Yes, they're bred to look like that. LOL

Seriously, though: Tamaskan Dogs (I always include "Dogs!" It differentiates us from "American" or "Wolfdogs") are a multipurpose working dog bred to retain traits of a pulling and tracking breed. They are bred to look like wolves but without the temperament issues. Ours enjoy hiking, pulling in harness and snuggling on the couch. They have a lot of personality: they are playful, clownish, quick to learn, obedient, intense, play rough, and love to howl. They rarely bark. (though I'm finding that I lie about this because Raven has turned out to be a barker…where on earth did she get this from?) Most are food motivated: the stinkier the treat the better.

Hmm….I used to love saying "they are bred to look like wolves but without any wolf content." Can't say that any more :( I did love the old slogan. I do hope that someday we can use it again.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

BlossomB
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by BlossomB » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:16 pm

Hahaha, yes I've used the short version many of times ;)

So, I always thought they followed your old slogan? Or do you mean, just some may have wolf content but still aren't a wolf-breed?

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:07 pm

No, "The Wolfdog without the wolf" was dropped over a year ago because for some dogs it isn't true any more. However, I personally still find it a goal to try and continue to achieve (that is, breed away from wolf and wolfdog content). That was my original attraction to the breed: all the great looks with none of the content. But yes, it does depend on the line and the individual dog.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:31 pm

I usually explain it as "a dog bred to have wolfish characteristics but without the wolfish behaviours" and then I often say a sled dog breed too as they are in that category (and more people are aware of that category rather than the spitz category)
>> Nino <<