Very conflicted and a bit depressed over the Tamaskan

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
xiacross
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Very conflicted and a bit depressed over the Tamaskan

Post by xiacross » Fri May 22, 2015 3:20 am

Hi Forum,

After reading my posts, it seem you bunch are a great group! I have been doing research on the Tamaskan dog for five years since I was in college and always dreamed of bringing one into my life. I honestly think it can make me a better person through motivating me to do dog training which improves some type of leadership skills, caring for a dog helps improve parental skills (in some aspects) and overall can just make me a better person.

But I am here to ask advice on my current conflicting feels and a situation which is making me feel a bit depressed. I honestly can't say for sure I am up to the challenge of owning a Tamaskan dog but after waiting for so long I just can't anymore which is why this situation is making me depressed.

Right now I am at a place where it is more fitting to own a dog compared to when I was still a student. I am working full time with the budget to afford a dog, however I work 9-6 and live with my girlfriend (who is not too keen but is thinking allowing me to get a Tamaskan because she know how much it means to me). We live in a 900 sqft condo which is not small for a condo but definitely small for a Tamaskan. She works 9-5 as well and so there is no one to attend to the dog while we are gone. However I do go back to my parent's house which is a large suburban house with a big yard on the weekend.

So the questions that I need advice one is:

1. Will getting a dog walker combined with a lower energy puppy that is crate trained compensate for the condo living arrangement.

2. We are both young professionals, other than work our schedule is pretty much free most most of the time so after work and weekends we have all the time to spend with the dog. Is this enough time and attention for a Tamaskan?

3. This may be hard to answer but does getting a breed like Tamaskan that require a lot more attention and effort than other breeds can negatively affect my career by eating up the time. Or as I mentioned in the beginning I feel like dog ownership can improve myself as a person, could dog owner be actually a perfect counter balance with a intense career? I actually hope to be an entrepreneur one day.

Please help me out here. And excuse the long post however I need to talk to experience owners about this. One other thing to mention is that in our EXACT same building I saw a Tamaskan and the owner told me he was from Tamakar so obviously Tamaskans have lived in an apartment exactly like mine (how well the tamaskan is taken care I am not sure, from the looks of it all seemed fine to me).

I also have contacted Oslette because they are the closest breeder to Toronto, but she did not reply yet. Also filled out a puppy application at Tamakar but I don't think they have litters since 2013.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Very conflicted and a bit depressed over the Tamaskan

Post by Katlin » Fri May 22, 2015 1:36 pm

Reading your situation I would say no. Not unless you were willing to pay for daycare every day, especially for the first few months of puppy's life. My boy stays home alone for 6 hours now, but he is walked hard every day and is old enough to do so. I also bring him to the grooming salon with me for a change of pace.

When I got my puppy I was working in places I could bring him to work with me, and I also had a sitter that watched him during my longer emerg clinic shifts. You don't know that you're going to get a lower energy puppy and you have to know that sometimes crate training will not work. It did not work for my dog, even though I had the exact same plan as you.

I don't think the space of your apartment is a huge issue. So long as you find ways to entertain your puppy. Remember that it can't go for walks until it's 4 months old in Canada, so that's 2 months that your stuck with crazy puppy energy.

If I were in your situation I would say no, I would not get a dog. I will also say that I don't think too many breeders will sell to a couple working 5 days a week away from the puppy.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri May 22, 2015 11:03 pm

I would say no too - but because your girlfriend is not Keen, not because of your working hours.
Image Image

xiacross
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by xiacross » Sat May 23, 2015 12:29 am

Thanks for the reply. I guess it is just not fated, sigh.

Wolfsbane
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfsbane » Thu May 28, 2015 8:08 pm

xiacross wrote:Thanks for the reply. I guess it is just not fated, sigh.
Maybe find another girlfriend :mrgreen:

Sorry... that's maybe a bit mean of me. I don't think your house is the problem, I've lived in an apartment with my dogs and slept in trailers/tents for periods of time. Even if I had a very large garden my Tamaskan wouldn't care for it, she just wants to be near me. I exercise her regularly, all she does inside the house is sleep. Your work schedule and that of your girlfriend could be a problem, Tamaskan don't like to be alone. When I was still together with my boyfriend we arranged it so that we had different working hours (I would be gone during the day and he in the evening/nights), so the dogs were rarely alone. Now that I'm alone things have become a lot more complicated... My Tamaskan Konah (6 year old female) is my shadow, she hates being separated from me. I had to turn down several good jobs because they required me to work at an office for 32+ hours every week without the option to bring Konah, and leaving her at home for so long is not an option. She would be so unhappy :(
I have recently registered myself as Freelancer so I can stay at home, but at the moment I'm still not making any money unfortunately. I'm very broke, which sucks... but I rather be broke together with Konah than having a decent job and house without her ;)

I know I'm not the only one who had to turn their lives around for the sake of their dogs, they are a big responsibility. If you are not able/willing to make certain adjustments then this breed is not for you.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri May 29, 2015 1:13 am

Wolfsbane wrote:
xiacross wrote:Thanks for the reply. I guess it is just not fated, sigh.
Maybe find another girlfriend :mrgreen:

Sorry... that's maybe a bit mean of me. I don't think your house is the problem, I've lived in an apartment with my dogs and slept in trailers/tents for periods of time. Even if I had a very large garden my Tamaskan wouldn't care for it, she just wants to be near me. I exercise her regularly, all she does inside the house is sleep. Your work schedule and that of your girlfriend could be a problem, Tamaskan don't like to be alone. When I was still together with my boyfriend we arranged it so that we had different working hours (I would be gone during the day and he in the evening/nights), so the dogs were rarely alone. Now that I'm alone things have become a lot more complicated... My Tamaskan Konah (6 year old female) is my shadow, she hates being separated from me. I had to turn down several good jobs because they required me to work at an office for 32+ hours every week without the option to bring Konah, and leaving her at home for so long is not an option. She would be so unhappy :(
I have recently registered myself as Freelancer so I can stay at home, but at the moment I'm still not making any money unfortunately. I'm very broke, which sucks... but I rather be broke together with Konah than having a decent job and house without her ;)

I know I'm not the only one who had to turn their lives around for the sake of their dogs, they are a big responsibility. If you are not able/willing to make certain adjustments then this breed is not for you.
Would like the point out that many tamaskan stay home alone all day with no issue.
Image Image

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri May 29, 2015 2:35 am

Booma wrote: Would like the point out that many tamaskan stay home alone all day with no issue.
2 month old puppies? If so then the breeder didn't make a good decision when they placed the puppy, and the owner didn't make a good decision purchasing a puppy. If you are away for more than 5 hours then you should not get a young puppy. Lots of people say they will take them to daycare every day, but many places won't allow that until they are 4 months old. Most places will allow only up to 2-3 days here.

I definitely agree with Rahne, and I've also had to turn down jobs and decent pay for Wylie. But that's the way it is.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri May 29, 2015 2:37 am

Katlin wrote:
Booma wrote: Would like the point out that many tamaskan stay home alone all day with no issue.
2 month old puppies? If so then the breeder didn't make a good decision when they placed the puppy, and the owner didn't make a good decision purchasing a puppy. If you are away for more than 5 hours then you should not get a young puppy. Lots of people say they will take them to daycare every day, but many places won't allow that until they are 4 months old. Most places will allow only up to 2-3 days here.

I definitely agree with Rahne, and I've also had to turn down jobs and decent pay for Wylie. But that's the way it is.

You want to point out where I said anything about leaving a 2 month old puppy alone??????
Image Image

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri May 29, 2015 4:29 am

Booma wrote:
You want to point out where I said anything about leaving a 2 month old puppy alone??????
:roll: Settle down. I'm just saying that yes, some tamaskan adults can be left alone for a period of time, but the original post is asking about a puppy. That's why I decided to answer the puppy part of that question.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Wolfsbane
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfsbane » Fri May 29, 2015 8:38 am

Yup, and there's also many that don't... those who will destroy crates, tear up the house, howl / bark.
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Miran
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Miran » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:41 pm

Even if they can. With Tamaskan you have to adjust even with the easiest one.
Okay I didn't had to adjust but that was because of I already had woofers where I had to adjust on so.......