Tamaskan's in Rural Areas

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
besherman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Tamaskan's in Rural Areas

Post by besherman » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi,

My soon-to-be 13 year old daughter is very interested in Tamaskans. Since we are not ready to get one quite yet, we are using this time to do our homework about Tamaskans and to make sure the breed is a good choice for us (and we are a good choice for a Tamaskan).

One issue that I have not seen addressed is country living. We live in rural Oregon on 180 acres. We do not have a fenced yard and never use a leash for our two (older) Australian Shepherds. When we go on walks on our property, they stay with us and they come when called. Individually (but never together), they can be let out on their own for short periods.

Assuming proper training, would this lifestyle be suitable for a Tamaskan? I would be obviously be concerned if the dog would have a tendency to run off and not return when called. I would also like it to stay on our property, as our Aussies do. A dog resembling a wolf could be in danger if it wandered off onto neighbors' properties (although we would notify them all in advance about our new dog, but still....).

Thank you,
Bruce Sherman

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Tamaskan's in Rural Areas

Post by Tiantai » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:59 pm

besherman wrote:Hi,

My soon-to-be 13 year old daughter is very interested in Tamaskans. Since we are not ready to get one quite yet, we are using this time to do our homework about Tamaskans and to make sure the breed is a good choice for us (and we are a good choice for a Tamaskan).

One issue that I have not seen addressed is country living. We live in rural Oregon on 180 acres. We do not have a fenced yard and never use a leash for our two (older) Australian Shepherds. When we go on walks on our property, they stay with us and they come when called. Individually (but never together), they can be let out on their own for short periods.

Assuming proper training, would this lifestyle be suitable for a Tamaskan? I would be obviously be concerned if the dog would have a tendency to run off and not return when called. I would also like it to stay on our property, as our Aussies do. A dog resembling a wolf could be in danger if it wandered off onto neighbors' properties (although we would notify them all in advance about our new dog, but still....).

Thank you,
Bruce Sherman
Welcome aboard, Mr. Sherman

You came to the right place and I hope that you find the right dog within the community, too. While I cannot directly answer some of your questions relating to your lifestyle and expectations partially because I have yet to own a Tamaskan, all I can say is based on what I have read off from previous owners, it depends on the individual dog that you end up with and which reputable breeder's lines that you obtained them from. There are owners in both North America and Europe who are raising dogs that are well-trained, very obedient, and fairly calm on the walk. Some are capable of being followed off leash while others cannot.

But there are also some owners whom - despite doing all the right things - unfortunately have a dog that MUST stay on leash at all times or that goofball would wander too far off and make the owner worry. I recommend talking with the owners and breeders themselves and forming your own decision based on your experience with them and what you learn about their dogs. The Tamaskan is still a fairly young breed with a lot of work to be done. ;)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:26 am

My Tamaskan isn't great offlead, which is unacceptable in the city near busy roads. But when I go out to the lake or to the acreage he sticks fairly close to me. I tested him out in a huge forest by running away and hiding behind a tree and he lost it - he was running around howling looking for me.

That's my experience.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rhadamant » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:11 pm

I've got two Tamaskans and they're both great off leash. I actually live in a busy suburb and I'd happily let my dogs off leash in my unfenced front yard, no hesitations. It all comes down to training as far as I can tell.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:01 pm

It will depend on the lines you adopt from. Speaking to breeders and learning how their dogs and knowledge on previous litters will help give you an idea if your future Tamaskan may be reliable off lead.

besherman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by besherman » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:04 pm

Thank you all for your informative replies.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:43 pm

My experience (and only mine (a science of single instances being no science at all))

Kona's better in rural areas - I am enough of a "nervous parent" not to risk him in more urban settings.
Having said that, one can use the Tamaskan's high pack drive (read: separation anxiety) to advantage - they generally don't like to be separated by a lot of distance or time. He's more likely to come back promptly across a field or other open space than he is where there are a lot of distractions. Having said that, he's more likely to play with wildlife (deer, geese, sheep) than hunt them - but when rodents (Squirrel or chipmunks) are involved, hold on for dear life - because he's off and running.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rhadamant » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:34 am

Anyone here ever buy GPS collar trackers like the one www.whistle.com sells? I'm just curious if anyone here has any experience with trackers of that sort. I know the old hunting trackers are pretty sub par, the run off of radio signals and they're range is very limited, but GPS tracker range should be theoretically infinite as long as the dog isn't in a building or underground.

besherman
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by besherman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:23 pm

Last night around the dinner table, we were discussing all the replies we've received (and which we very much appreciate) and my middle daughter asked this very question. So we'd love to hear any input on the GPS question, too.

Thanks again!
Bruce

rhadamant
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rhadamant » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:59 am

besherman wrote:Last night around the dinner table, we were discussing all the replies we've received (and which we very much appreciate) and my middle daughter asked this very question. So we'd love to hear any input on the GPS question, too.

Thanks again!
Bruce
I ended up asking a few of my buddies that hunt with their German Shorthaired Pointers. I remember them complaining that GSPs are often bad at recall and yet are supposed to be birding dogs. Radio locations didn't work because they've got limited range and need line of sight. One of my friends swears by his GPS collar, and seeing its a very tried and tested technology, its probably safe to say that's your truest best, that and of course having them microchipped.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:16 pm

I could be wrong, but I believe Basalt uses GPS collars on her studs.