Ideal conditions

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Kattejuice
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Ideal conditions

Post by Kattejuice » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:17 am

Very quick backstory; I'm wanting to get a Tam sometime in the future. I will also be finishing my degree and after that finding a place to move to.

This leaves me with quite an opportunity to try and choose a place that is ideal, or close, for the dog.

So that got me thinking, what would you say were the ideal living conditions for a Tamaskan? In regards to: location, indoor features, outdoor features, weather, owner time at job vs home, amount/hours of walks/owner activities each day, company (second dog/other pets) and anything else you might think of.

Here's some considerations regarding my conditions so far;
I live in Denmark so the weather is already decided. Temperate, mostly cool with just about one hot month in the year. From what I've gathered in the forum so far is that this should at least not be an issue. There will be shedding though so I'm avoiding houses with carpets.

Houses/type of house I'm considering is countryside or outskirts of town/city. Not just for the dog but I like that anyway.

The Tam will be my first dog. I know already that is not ideal but also read here that it gas worked out excellent for some of you also with a Tam as the first.

Looking forward to your answers!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Ideal conditions

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:38 pm

I would say that the Danish climate is pretty much ideal for a Tamaskan pup. If you have the choice, then a house in the countryside/outskirts of the city would be ideal, with lots of safe land nearby to explore and for hiking/camping, etc. It's a good idea to avoid carpet flooring and stick to tile or wood/laminate if possible (much easier to keep clean!) If possible, a house without a lot of stairs (otherwise you have to carry your pup up and down the staircase for the first 6 months or so)... a bungalow / ground-floor open-plan house gives you a lot of potential but, again, it depends on what is available to you. A well-secured (properly fenced) backyard or containment area is important to keep your pup safe and secure when not inside the house. As far as owner time at job vs home: the more time you can spend with your pup the better. If it has to be left home alone on a daily basis then it is a good idea to have another dog for companionship as dogs are extremely social animals and Tamaskans are highly pack-oriented so they will get lonely/bored if left home alone for extended periods on a regular basis, with nothing to do. When you pup is young, if it has to be left alone then it's a good idea to get a pet-sitter or friend/family member to help with "baby sitting" duties so your pup isn't left unattended/unsupervised for long (they're like children and can get into all kinds of trouble if you don't keep a good eye on them). Anyway, good luck! :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Kattejuice
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Kattejuice » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:08 am

Hey Sylvæn!

Sorry for replying awfully late.

That's really good to hear. And useful feedback, thank you. I'll keep it in mind.

I'm a bit surprised by the thing with avoiding stairs though. Could I ask you to elaborate? ^^

Jadzia1313
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jadzia1313 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi,

Stairs, jumping, and hard.long running should be limited during the puppy's growth stages. Too much too soon can cause environmental impacts on the proper growth plate closures occurring during development. It can lead to things like hip dysplasia in later years.

A good puppy exercise chart guide can be found here:
https://www.puppyculture.com/new-approp ... rcise.html

Michelle

Kattejuice
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Kattejuice » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 pm

Oh my I had no idea!
Well that explains it. The link also seems to explain it nice and detailed.

Thanks for letting me know Michelle!