How did YOU discover the Tamaskan breed?

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: NEWCOMERS TO THIS FORUM

Post by JulieSmith » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:21 pm

We saw a northern inuit in a pub and looked them up on wikapedia. From the description of the NI on there we did not think it was the dog for us so I followed the links for other wolf dogs till I came across Tamaskans and fell in love.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: NEWCOMERS TO THIS FORUM

Post by Gaby » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:31 pm

I'm not really a newcomer, but I first heard from the breed on a Dutch Dog forum. I've searched around on the internet and became a member of the Tamaskan forum.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: How did YOU discover the Tamaskan breed?

Post by Blustag » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks guys keep them coming :D

maartendq
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by maartendq » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:23 pm

I found out about them by looking at the new TV-series "Game of Thrones" where they use northern Inuits as "Dire-wolves". In the series childeren found puppies and decided to raise them, the dogs have a nice role in the story. Immediatly started looking on the internet what breed they used in the series and found out it was the northern inuit. After some more time of browsing I also discovered the Tamaskan and that's how I ended up here :).

PS: If there are any people who loved the Lord of the Rings sage, I can really recommend "Game of Thrones" :)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:38 pm

I was looking at arctic breeds and seeing if there was one existed that had decent recall... I stumbled upon the Tamaskan. I did a search and the first I site I came to was RPK... His dogs didnt fit the standard he had posted on his site... Also didn't like the idea of buying a puppy through paypal... The next site I stumbled on was Bustag and then the TDR... I was sold

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:01 pm

On the danish dog site hundegalleri (doggallery) someone mada a post on peoples top 5 (or something like it) dog breeds, and i was browsing the thread. the dogs I didn't know I looked up and there I found the Tamaskan breed.

1½ years ago I wouldn't have considered an Arctic breed because I didn't think I was experienced enough to such a dog, but at the time I came across the Tamaskan I was living with a girl and we had a malamute/husky mix which we got from a shelter - only ever considered him because she grew up with husky and husky mixes.
After having Kovo in my life I was convinced that I had what it took (specially since we got him from a shelter with problems and he was a grown dog)
I searched everything I could find and finally got to the forum where I read as much as possible, till I finally decided that I would like to have a Tam in my life. And then contacted Lynn to start screening..

Little did I know that a Tam would be in my lift THIS fast - she is loved by me and my whole family, and she loves every member in it!
>> Nino <<

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:21 am

My husband and I decided it was time to add a puppy to our empty nest and were torn between Husky, Malamute, and German Shepherd. While reading an obscure German Shepherd website, I stumbled upon a link discussing the GSD's genetic contribution to other breeds and voila! There was a Tamaskan! It was love at first sight for me and my husband both!

Of course, the next thing we discovered was how rare the breed was. Didn't matter. We were prepared to wait as long as it took.

How nice we only have to wait until this winter! :D
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:46 am

so ill elaborate on what i posted earlier:
was looking on wikipedia at dog breeds and saw the tamskan. the first website i looked at was J&J and i was floored by how gorgeous the dogs were! then i saw the tarheel website next. i fell in love with their dogs too! i think from there i found the TDR website and from there i found the forum. i just watched the forum and read as much as i could about these dogs for a long time. finally i decided to participate on the forum and bam there ya go! i think i've seen the forum change 3 times...? anyways, it seems like have links on each tdr website (breeders and anyone else) really makes it easy for someone to bounce around between all of the tdr and find what they need. and i think anything that promotes the forum is a great idea- you just cant get any better than this! getting first-hand info from the creaters, breeders, owners, fans! i wish all dog breeds had this!! when i was looking for akita info i immediately searched for an akita forum like this and suddenly realized that this forum is very unique haha :mrgreen:

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:14 pm

I found out about the breed while looking up the Wikipedia about a Siberian husky. It was a dog my sister had wanted and I too wanted some kind of artic looking dog to cuddle :P So I ended up following the links and found the tamaskan: P I instantly fell in love with the breed, so I did a Google search for the Tam to see more pics and get more info and I found Lynn's website :D

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:26 pm

We found Czechoslovakian Wolfdog through research about German Shepherds. Some time after purchasing our CSW, I researched other wolfy breeds, working line Huskies, Lundehunds, wolfdog hybrids, Saarloos, Utonagan and so on. I looked into Tamaskans because I read they were created using also CSWs, which immediately caught my attention. Then I saw a photo of Tamaskan on deviantart.com and through the artist I found my way here on this forum.

CSpiker86
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by CSpiker86 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:31 pm

i found out about this wonderful dog through my sister TParham 86 :D as she mentioned i LOVE siberian husky's and always wanted one (Still do) my sister then told me about the Tamaskan breed she found when researching alternative artic breeds, and i was instantly hooked! ;) An now I am soon to be a proud owner of a male Nanna pup :D

Sammi58
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sammi58 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:50 pm

I found out i think through Yahoo answers! xD Because i was looking for dogs that of coursed looked like wolves.. That lead me unfortunately to rightpuppy kennel. >.> But of course I did my research, which lead me to the TDR. Which I have to say, I'm glad I did, because if not I would not have been on these fourms as i am today, and this fourm is so beneficial to those who want to learn about the tamaskan, and what breeder we would want our dog from. :) And its always lovely to interact with everyone else.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:11 am

Hmm, I can see that nobody has posted on this topic for four months but I might as well share how I learned about this breed so that more newer members on the forum can continue to share with our moderator HiTenshi16 who started this topic about how they learned about this breed. :lol: To be honest, I feel that it'll be sad to let an interesting topic like this one die out and partially because I'm always curious as to how other people learned about the existence of rare breeds.
It started back in 2008 when I was google-searching "Wolf-like dog breed without any wolf" and among the search results was a youtube video posted by Debby Stainforth titled "Tamaskan Vodcast" which upon watching it got me drawn into the breed. Like her, I did at one point dreamt about owning a wolf-dog but eventually realized that I cannot handle a semi-exotic canine despite having known a pack of Eastern Wolves at Kawartha Lake.
Initially I was skeptic as most of you already know by now that there are many commercial breeders out there selling mutts with bizarre names like "Kugsha" or "Keuleman" and in some cases they are wolfdogs that the breeders have attempted to hide the wolf-content partly cuz they're in places like Michigan where wolfdogs are banned.
After reading much of the information on the TDR's official website and several wolfdog education websites that mentioned the Tamaskans and Utonagans as being "wolf lookalikes with no wolves", I was eventually convinced that the Tamaskan is a pure domestic dog and overtime got hooked and began searching for any nearest breeders but there were no Tamaskans in Canada at the time nor were their any breeders. My interest in the breed grew from there though it wasn't until 2009 that I started contacting multiple breeders like Blufawn and Tarheel to learn a bit more. In fact, there still isn't a registered breeder here currently since the NTCC is still new but I'm now confident that we're going to have a lot here in the future. Though prior to the establishment of the NTCC I was planning on getting a pup from Tarheel because I've communicated with them more than any other TDR breeders at the time and because they as well as J&J from Long Island were the closest to me.

Overall, I think that if it were not for Debby I may never have known about the TDR or the Tamaskan breed so I want to thank Debby for posting that video. :D Debby was the person who, although unknowingly at the time, indirectly got me drawn into the breed. Also (not to get off topic but), if it weren't for the link to the TDR's official websites and the NTCA's warnings I think I could have accidentally slipped into one of RPK's traps only to later on realize the truth about him way too late so I'm grateful to the multiple TDR breeders out there for warning me in those emails about RPK ahead of time. Also as a side not to the Bannows, even though there will likely be a breeder here in Ontario at some point in the near future, I'm still interested in getting a dog from Tarheel after finishing school and having a stable job because I really love Blaze and his daughter Kana's reddish coat and have been dreaming about training a pair of red Tamaskan dogs to pull a small wheel sled. :P

So that's how I learnt about the breed. If anyone else out there would like to share with us about how they were drawn into this amazing breed then feel free to revive the topic :)

Dozer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dozer » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:30 am

I think this is still a Topic to answer to even if the last post was a time ago.

I am also on a few other forums and because of my previous breed on wolfdog forums.
There was also someone with wolfdogs and Tamaskan.
Because I never heard of it I looked some info up on google.
And as we all know there is a lot to find but all in, well how will I say it, what I call with human stuff.
So I asked that person if I could meet her and that she could tell me a few things.

She was fine with that and when I met her and her great dogs she understood right away what I mean with human stuff and she explained a lot to me without that stuff. But also said that if I wanted to know more for myself that I had to do my search for my own by the parties and gave me the links to forums and some sites.

Well and that is where I am now, searching for myself to look if this could be a dog for me in the future :mrgreen:
Because I am still reading a lot and at this moment it isn't the right time for me to take a new dog no matter what kind of breed I have all the time to look to more dogs of this breed to make up my mind but to be honest I loved the ones I saw in my first meeting with them so I think that in the future their will be one on my side :mrgreen:

sequoia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sequoia » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:09 am

I was considering a Native American Indian Dog (NAID), and then started looking at the American Indian Dog. Somehow I stumbled upon the Tamaskan and Sarloos :)

Needless to say, I've been fascinated with the Tamaskan every since!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

PawPrint
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by PawPrint » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:44 pm

I discovered the Tamaskan in the breed directory of Dogs Today. This lead me to look up Blustag and find the TDR !

Tinuviel
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tinuviel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:00 pm

With one of my best friends, I've checked the picture list of dogs on Wikipedia, just to see, which ones look pretty cool or very weird or so. Nothing serious, just for fun...There I saw the picture of the Tamaskan dog. First I thought "Oh, just another wolfdog breed", but after reading the article I was completely amazed by this dog and since then, for me it's clear: One day I will have a Tamaskan!

Now I have just to convince my boyfriend :twisted:

Luna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luna » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Me and my fiance are particuarly interested in wolves, and always wanted a 'wolfy' looking dog. After lots of internet searching I came across the Utonagen, then the Tamaskan. We instantly prefered the look of the Tamaskan, and the the wealth of information and the 'openness' of the breeders and fans through the forum was really refreshing. I too saw the RPK website whilst searching, and was truely horrified that you were supposed to buy a puppy like an item of clothing using paypal - without any checks or correspondance - crazy. Anyway, now we have our Luna and it was the best decision we have ever made :-)

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:40 pm

I was on Dog Breed Info I believe and just so happen to see them. Then I saw RPK photos at the time and loved the look. I got in contact with Takari but didn't like the sound of the Aatu so I did more research and came across this forum and other tam breeders (:
Katurah

Sibe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sibe » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm actually studying a low level vet technicians course atm, I followed a link from a breed dictionary from my training institute about Sibes, (which i often do because i have 2 of them) then another link from that page and eventually ended up here, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 934AACUvvP

Having never heard of the name till maybe 4 days ago, I then googled them :)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Sibe wrote:I'm actually studying a low level vet technicians course atm, I followed a link from a breed dictionary from my training institute about Sibes, (which i often do because i have 2 of them) then another link from that page and eventually ended up here, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 934AACUvvP

Having never heard of the name till maybe 4 days ago, I then googled them :)
Yeah I lot of people had learnt about the breed the same way as you did. I first learnt about if from Debby's video as mentioned above.

At first I was skeptic about the idea of a dog looking like a wolf without any actual wolf-content due to multiple reasons and the fact that I've gotten along with actual Eastern wolves and several wolfdog crosses so..... well let's just say my expectations for "looks" were too high at the time. Obviously a dog without wolf-content can never look 100% like an actual wolf, what a nutshell I was to expect too much. :roll:

http://www.tamaskan-dog.com/Information/defra.htm

But now I have put the breed as #1 on my top favourite and when I'm more financially stable (after graduating from my current program and paying off the loans) I'd love to travel down to North Carolina to meet the Bannow family before signing my name on their waiting list.

RCPaws
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RCPaws » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:56 am

I found out about the breed while on a service dog group while discussing what breeds were ideal for service dogs. I had mentioned that I was looking at NAID, huskies and GSDs. She had suggested I take a look at the Tamaskan. So here I am. I am in the early stages of my research.

RC Paws
Montana

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 am

RCPaws wrote:I found out about the breed while on a service dog group while discussing what breeds were ideal for service dogs. I had mentioned that I was looking at NAID, huskies and GSDs. She had suggested I take a look at the Tamaskan. So here I am. I am in the early stages of my research.
It depends on what service you have in mind:] Generally GSDs and Belgian Shepherds are unsurpassed working breeds.

RCPaws
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RCPaws » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Czertice wrote:
It depends on what service you have in mind:] Generally GSDs and Belgian Shepherds are unsurpassed working breeds.
I should have said Assistance dog as I forget the cultural differences. I had a Belgian Malinois years back as well and he was just awesome, yeah you cant get better working dogs ;)

RC Paws
Montana

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:02 pm

RCPaws wrote:
Czertice wrote:
I should have said Assistance dog as I forget the cultural differences. I had a Belgian Malinois years back as well and he was just awesome, yeah you cant get better working dogs ;)
I see. Well other than these breeds it might be better to search for a particular kind of character in any kind of breed or mix. You find Poodles that can do Schutzhund, Weimaraners that excel at obedience, in Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs you'll find working characters close to German Shepherds, or you can get a CSW that just doesn't care for any kind of training;]
If you have specific breeding commitees in the US, you could ask them to point you to particular matings, where working abilities are probable, and maybe get an experienced breeder of the breed to pick the right puppy from the litter for you. Insiders will know best, they often know the dogs personally, and they hear all the secret gossip;]

RCPaws
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RCPaws » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:13 pm

Yes, I am just beginning my search to see if this breed might work for me. Then I will be contacting breeders either in the US or abroad. My current dog is an import. I am partial to having good dogs that work. With certain breeds I do feel that Americans have screwed up and you have to be extremely careful where you get them from. I am starting slow. I am not even wanting a pup for at least 2 yrs. Most of my friends think I am a little crazy.

RC Paws
Montana

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:58 pm

RCPaws wrote:Yes, I am just beginning my search to see if this breed might work for me. Then I will be contacting breeders either in the US or abroad. My current dog is an import. I am partial to having good dogs that work. With certain breeds I do feel that Americans have screwed up and you have to be extremely careful where you get them from. I am starting slow. I am not even wanting a pup for at least 2 yrs. Most of my friends think I am a little crazy.

it's good your putting so much time and effort into it... and i think uk breeders have screwed up certain breeds too... i was looking for a white GSD after my GSD but the hips in the uk are horrific from most breeders... my main passion are GSD's but i couldn't go thru it again, watching her suffer more each year... my girl was in pain by the age of 5 (started earlier) and she lived till about 9. and crazy people have more fun ;)

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

RCPaws
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by RCPaws » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:00 am

I find with my dogs having to do so much for me with the hearing alerts and mobility help (basically the dog helps me walk and I dont look like a drunk :D ) In the past I was in a wheelchair and my dog pulled it. I also have the dog retrieve, open/close doors, turn on/off lights and get help (find a person). If the dog alerts to medical conditions then that is awesome.

But I dont want to put time and effort into training a dog only to have a dog fail with health problems that could have been avoided by a little research. Yes, things happen and I have had it happen. As we all know accidents happen. But when a well bred dog is out there its less likely.

I love my Beaucerons and I love the breed, but I know I will compare if I get another one and I cant do that to J. I also need a friendlier dog :)

RC Paws
Montana

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:40 am

RCPaws wrote:Yes, I am just beginning my search to see if this breed might work for me. Then I will be contacting breeders either in the US or abroad. My current dog is an import. I am partial to having good dogs that work. With certain breeds I do feel that Americans have screwed up and you have to be extremely careful where you get them from. I am starting slow. I am not even wanting a pup for at least 2 yrs. Most of my friends think I am a little crazy.
I think it is awsome you do your research. I hear and see way too many stories of how people just get the first cute puppy they see. Some get lucky, but more often than not they are surprised that dogs have character, and that dogs get hereditary illnesses. :cry:
TerriHolt wrote: it's good your putting so much time and effort into it... and i think uk breeders have screwed up certain breeds too... i was looking for a white GSD after my GSD but the hips in the uk are horrific from most breeders... my main passion are GSD's but i couldn't go thru it again, watching her suffer more each year... my girl was in pain by the age of 5 (started earlier) and she lived till about 9. and crazy people have more fun ;)
I thought white GSDs are excluded from breeding? Yes, the hips are problems not only in UK. From what I hear, completely healthy GSDs are hard to come by all over Europe. And the don't keep their agility for long. It's been that way already fifty years back. That's why the army in Czechoslovakia even started the crazy experiment of crossing wolves and GSDs. (I'm eternaly grateful they did, but the GSD people used to get fits over that, haha.)

Marshall
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Marshall » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:42 pm

I was just 16 when I first found out about the Tamaskan. I was looking on the internet at multiple northern breeds because my family was finally looking to get a dog again and those breeds, especially the Siberian Husky, has always been a favorite of mine. I think I may have found the Tamaskan on either Wikipedia or the Dog Breed Info website. I instanly fell in love with the breed and after hearing how much easier they can be trained off leash (compared to sibes) along with their super sweet personality and athleticism I wanted the Tamaskan to be my next dog. However at that same time another dog needed us more so we decided to adopt her and she became one of the most amazing dogs iv'e ever known. But the Tamaskan is still #1 on my dog breed list :lol:

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:50 am

Marshall wrote:I was just 16 when I first found out about the Tamaskan. I was looking on the internet at multiple northern breeds because my family was finally looking to get a dog again and those breeds, especially the Siberian Husky, has always been a favorite of mine. I think I may have found the Tamaskan on either Wikipedia or the Dog Breed Info website. I instanly fell in love with the breed and after hearing how much easier they can be trained off leash (compared to sibes) along with their super sweet personality and athleticism I wanted the Tamaskan to be my next dog. However at that same time another dog needed us more so we decided to adopt her and she became one of the most amazing dogs iv'e ever known. But the Tamaskan is still #1 on my dog breed list :lol:
Will you be getting one in the future?

Marshall
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Marshall » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:06 am

AZDehlin wrote:
Marshall wrote:I was just 16 when I first found out about the Tamaskan. I was looking on the internet at multiple northern breeds because my family was finally looking to get a dog again and those breeds, especially the Siberian Husky, has always been a favorite of mine. I think I may have found the Tamaskan on either Wikipedia or the Dog Breed Info website. I instanly fell in love with the breed and after hearing how much easier they can be trained off leash (compared to sibes) along with their super sweet personality and athleticism I wanted the Tamaskan to be my next dog. However at that same time another dog needed us more so we decided to adopt her and she became one of the most amazing dogs iv'e ever known. But the Tamaskan is still #1 on my dog breed list :lol:
Will you be getting one in the future?
Yup im hoping to actually get one this year if everything goes smoothly :D

Gabriele58
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Gabriele58 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:18 pm

I have had a fascination with wolves for over 20 years now, ever since I attended a presentation on the Grey Wolves of Algonquin in Algonquin Provincial Park. The presentation was followed by going to a "wolf howl" where the rangers howled and then waited for wolves, which they had located previously, to answer. That was one of the shining moments of my life, hearing those wolves and their pups answer back. After that time I was lucky enough to actually have close contact with wolves in the park on 3 separate occasions. The 3rd ended very sadly for me as the wolf I had seen was already known to be aggressive towards dogs and then he went onto a campsite and apparently grabbed a 2 year old around the neck and tried to carry her off. The child was not seriously hurt, but the wolf was shot after that incident :cry: As "cool" as it might seem to have a wolf as a pet, they belong in the wild or protected areas, not in your home.

My partner also loves wolves and got it into his mind that he wanted a pet with at least some wolf content. This led to many "discussions", with the conclusion basically that he was stuck with our small dog and cats because there was no way I would allow an animal, no matter how beautiful, around my other pets and grandchildren if there was even a small chance that harm could come to them.

This led me to the same place as many others in this Forum, to my best friend "google". I typed in "Dogs that look like wolves" and was brought to information on several breeds, including the Tamaskan. The more I read and the more pictures I saw, I knew that this was the answer. My partner could have a big dog that even looks like a wolf and he could be happy and I'd have the peace of mind knowing that our other pets and my grandchildren would be safe in the presence of our DOG.

That's how it all started and now I'm eagerly awaiting our first puppy. I say "first" because we have grown so much in love with the breed that we want to make more available in Canada. When we take our dogs camping in Algonquin and people wonder about our "wolves", I can assure them that our dogs have no wolf content and maybe my initial love of wolves that led me to the Tamaskan will be multiplied to others many times over.

I truly am a "Tamthusiast" :D
~Gabriele~

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:00 am

I don't remember what initiated my search for Tamaskans.

But I think a friend posted a photo of an Utonagan on tumblr and it showed up on my dashboard.
I loved their looks! Something which looked like a wolf but was a dog? That sounded too awesome to be true!

When googling the breed I also came across Tamaskans and found that there are breeders in Germany. At first I was a little put off when I read that they're technically crossbreeds from nordic breeds like Huskies and Malamutes which I know for their high energy level and need to work, as well as their stubbornness.

After asking several questions to a Tamaskan owner on youtube (and figuring that they're not as much of a handful as Huskies are) she redirected me to this forum and said it would be the best place to inform myself further on the breed (which is how I came here!)

I've wanted a dog since I moved out from home (which is now 4 years ago), but couldn't because I was sharing a flat with a classmate and friend who was allergic to dogs as kid, and we didn't want to chance it of her getting sick.
Back then I wanted to get a Podenco, I always loved dogs which look like old-type dogs (pharaoh hounds and wolf-like dogs included) or generally have triangular, upstanding ears.

I'm turning 25 this year and I hope I can finally make my dreams come true sometimes around next year, when I have settled down in some bigger flat maybe and have a stable income and working hours.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:27 am

Tatzel wrote:I don't remember what initiated my search for Tamaskans.

But I think a friend posted a photo of an Utonagan on tumblr and it showed up on my dashboard.
I loved their looks! Something which looked like a wolf but was a dog? That sounded too awesome to be true!

When googling the breed I also came across Tamaskans and found that there are breeders in Germany. At first I was a little put off when I read that they're technically crossbreeds from nordic breeds like Huskies and Malamutes which I know for their high energy level and need to work, as well as their stubbornness.

After asking several questions to a Tamaskan owner on youtube (and figuring that they're not as much of a handful as Huskies are) she redirected me to this forum and said it would be the best place to inform myself further on the breed (which is how I came here!)

I've wanted a dog since I moved out from home (which is now 4 years ago), but couldn't because I was sharing a flat with a classmate and friend who was allergic to dogs as kid, and we didn't want to chance it of her getting sick.
Back then I wanted to get a Podenco, I always loved dogs which look like old-type dogs (pharaoh hounds and wolf-like dogs included) or generally have triangular, upstanding ears.

I'm turning 25 this year and I hope I can finally make my dreams come true sometimes around next year, when I have settled down in some bigger flat maybe and have a stable income and working hours.
And we ended up having long conversations :lol:

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:31 am

Haha, yes!
Which were very informative, too!

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 am

Odd thing is, I'm really not sure where I came across Tamaskans :?. I used to look after a pack of wolves at a safari park in the 90s and would still be happy to sit and watch them all day, every day. After moving on to better things I used to occasionally wonder about wolf lookalike dogs, but was never in a position to own one. I prefer big dogs, I prefer wolfy-looking dogs. I met a utonagan some years back and thought it was gorgeous, but again, circumstances weren't right. I think I was randomly googling things a week or so ago and found the TDR and other websites (Youtube was particularly useful, more Tam owners should definitely post videos there). For the first time I'm sort of in the right place to get one, so decided to start properly researching the breed. And here I am. :shock:
"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Sion wrote:Odd thing is, I'm really not sure where I came across Tamaskans :?. I used to look after a pack of wolves at a safari park in the 90s and would still be happy to sit and watch them all day, every day. After moving on to better things I used to occasionally wonder about wolf lookalike dogs, but was never in a position to own one. I prefer big dogs, I prefer wolfy-looking dogs. I met a utonagan some years back and thought it was gorgeous, but again, circumstances weren't right. I think I was randomly googling things a week or so ago and found the TDR and other websites (Youtube was particularly useful, more Tam owners should definitely post videos there). For the first time I'm sort of in the right place to get one, so decided to start properly researching the breed. And here I am. :shock:
I've been to Woburn many times and getting anywhere near the wolves was always a challenge as they stayed well clear of the cars (the same couldnt be said for the monkey enclosure :-)

I came across Tamaskan by accident whilst researching the NI/CSV cross. I was looking into pet insurance and when I was explaining it was a cross between a NI and CSV to the broker, he came back about 5 mins later and told me they didnt insure CSV Xross (or indeed any wolf hybrid),it was he who suggested I looked at Utangan or Tamaskan as they did insure those.

I've never looked back :-)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Sion
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sion » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:27 pm

nivenj wrote:I've been to Woburn many times and getting anywhere near the wolves was always a challenge as they stayed well clear of the cars (the same couldnt be said for the monkey enclosure :-)
The trick is to sit there for a few hours, you'll see heaps of interesting behaviour. I used to get cross with people rushing through the wolf enclosure to get to the lions, who really do bugger all except eat and sleep. :D
"Progress doesn't come from early risers — progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things." - Robert Heinlein

j88
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by j88 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:00 pm

I was really interested in finding some sort of Husky or Malamute hybrid, and wound up on Wikipedia under the 'Spitz' section. I saw the picture of the Tamaskan and was blown away. The rest has been a matter of fervent googling, reading breeder websites, and (obviously) joining this forum.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:57 pm

j88 wrote:I was really interested in finding some sort of Husky or Malamute hybrid, and wound up on Wikipedia under the 'Spitz' section. I saw the picture of the Tamaskan and was blown away. The rest has been a matter of fervent googling, reading breeder websites, and (obviously) joining this forum.
:lol:
I fooled around on wikipedia a lot back then and had the gut feeling that someone might get excited by the Tamaskan breed when I added the link to that "spitz" page and pasted the photo that I copied from the original Tamaskan's wikipedia page two years ago. Tamaskans are descended from northern-spitz and share all of the general traits of that type after all so I felt they should belong on that page.

Cakesandcats
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cakesandcats » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Sion wrote:I think I was randomly googling things a week or so ago and found the TDR and other websites (Youtube was particularly useful, more Tam owners should definitely post videos there). For the first time I'm sort of in the right place to get one, so decided to start properly researching the breed. And here I am. :shock:
Sion sent me the YouTube link to the Tamaskan and cat (Shay and Kizzy) with the suggestion that this would make a good playmate for our teenage ASBO Maine Coon. I then spent several hours on YouTube, emailed Bluefawn for more information. Jennie directed me to the forum, and now I’m completely hooked! Especially, having talked to Sion and agreed that our lifestyle may make it possible to get a puppy later this year, not ‘at some point in the future’ as I was originally thinking….. :D

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:56 pm

Cakesandcats wrote:
Sion wrote:I think I was randomly googling things a week or so ago and found the TDR and other websites (Youtube was particularly useful, more Tam owners should definitely post videos there). For the first time I'm sort of in the right place to get one, so decided to start properly researching the breed. And here I am. :shock:
Sion sent me the YouTube link to the Tamaskan and cat (Shay and Kizzy) with the suggestion that this would make a good playmate for our teenage ASBO Maine Coon. I then spent several hours on YouTube, emailed Bluefawn for more information. Jennie directed me to the forum, and now I’m completely hooked! Especially, having talked to Sion and agreed that our lifestyle may make it possible to get a puppy later this year, not ‘at some point in the future’ as I was originally thinking….. :D
That's the problem with Tamaskans, they are seriously adictive :lol:

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:09 am

JulieSmith wrote:
Cakesandcats wrote:
could even say contagious... :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:18 am

TerriHolt wrote:
JulieSmith wrote:
And the only known cure is to get one, or two, or three..... :lol: :lol:

Cakesandcats
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cakesandcats » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:20 am

JulieSmith wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:
JulieSmith wrote:
Don't say that - that's how we ended up with nine Maine coons, we only planned to get one..... :lol:

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:20 pm

JulieSmith wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:
JulieSmith wrote:
It's the truth, I haven't had my tam for even a year and I want to have another one by the end of the year.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:13 am

Well I think the reason why a lot of us, including me, are addicted to the breed is due in part to many of us here being wolf-enthusiasts and with a breed resembling those wild canines, what kind of wolf enthusiast wouldn't be addicted to the Tamaskan dog? :lol:

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:05 pm

I was in school one day in 2008 (?), when I found a site with a long list of "German Shepherdish-breeds", meaning breeds that were either variations of the GSD or the GSD had been used in developing them. (I have no idea how I ended up there, as I am not a fan of the GSD.)

They had the Saarloos and CsV listed there (two breeds that I was already familiar with), and accused us Europeans of breeding wolflike dogs "because of a romanticization with wildlife, due to most of Europes wolf population being diminished. In North America however, where the wolf population is strong, there doesn't seem to be the same longing for wolflike breeds".

:roll: I have no idea, but that was basically what they said.

Then the Utonagan was also listed, and that was apparently "yet another example of the European people's romanticization with nature"...

I found out more about the Utonagan, and discovered Tamaskan that way.
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Tiantai wrote:

Quite funny to see myself and ( just 6 back then) the dogs on this podcast... Magu and Tolinka still pups :P
They have doubled by now :lol: