Tamaskans and cats living together

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
Luna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Tamaskans and cats living together

Post by Luna » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:08 am

Hi, sorry if this has been covered before (have had a look but can't find a post that covers it). I haven't got my Tamaskan puppy yet, but when I do she will be living in our house with our two cats. Like with many cats and dogs the amount of tolence or friendliness they show towards eachother I'm sure depends heavily on the individual animals. I have read that Tamaskans are great around family pets. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience in keeping both cats and Tamaskans. I suppose I'm a little anxious about both the cats and puppies safety. Our cats are friendly to humans, but have never come into contact with dogs before - so naturally I'm apprehensive.
Thankyou!
Francesca

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Tamaskans and cats living together

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:23 am

Sylvaen has lots of cats with her two Tamaskans and I'm sure they all really love each other, you should be able to see them in the " Other Pets" gallery :)
When we had our cat, my Tamaskan Ulric loved playing with him and he loved playing back. When I was brushing Ulric outside, my cat would lay on him and Ulric would not mind one bit.
I'm sure there are other Tamaskan owners on here with cats as well ;)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:56 am

We do not have a cat, but my daughter took Saga to stay at a friends who has a couple of cats (they are used to dogs) one came up and said hello the other was not so sure. Saga behaved herself with them and she is only 6 months old. One cat loved Saga so much he jumped in the car as they were going to say bye and it has never jumped in the car before

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:16 am

Nova is always chasing cats. We have a cat and Nova plays a little too rough with him, but now it is a little bit better. The cat can be indoors without Nova attacking him ALL the time.
...and she is obsessed with cats she sees outside :roll:

:)

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:19 am

I have three cats and two Tams. The cats are quite old and really cant be bothered with the dogs. The two female cats stay upstairs. The tom cat has more interaction but Mischa thinks he belongs to her and puts herself between him and Ayasca and growls. They are ok with him, a little jumpy maybe, the cat could care less. Outside is different, if they see a cat they want to chase it :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:59 am

i have 2 cats who was only used to the one dog i had. sam did chase them but one of them puts him in his place but my other cat runs so obviously sam chases. i have a baby gate at the bottom of the steps so if he gets too much for them then they have their own retreat to a 'safe' zone. he is getting better at not chasing them with firm 'no's' and gets sent to bed (his dog bed). he wouldn't hurt them, he just wants to play but as cats are small, they don't like rough play.

saga sounds like she controls her self better than sam, so like you said... it would depend on each dog. it would help if your cats was used to dogs or can tolerate them. one of mine can but the other can't.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:15 pm

I would not say Saga was better controlled if they run she chases, but that is more that she wants to play. I think having a grumpy old terrier has taught her small things don't play rough you get a quick nip if you try and it hurts :? Holly is the boss even if she can now walk under Sagas tum if she wants to :lol:

I think as long as the cats have a safe place to go away from the dog with a bit ( lot) of training they can get on, cats have a good set of claws and that usually teaches dogs to be careful :mrgreen:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Sølve is really interested in cats, but the only one she met was the one living next door and it didn't like her (as in chased sølve!) sølve kept wanting to play and was very interested in the cat though.. its the plan to let her get used to cats but just dont have any around to do so with
>> Nino <<

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Luna wrote:Like with many cats and dogs the amount of tolence or friendliness they show towards eachother I'm sure depends heavily on the individual animals. I have read that Tamaskans are great around family pets. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience in keeping both cats and Tamaskans. I suppose I'm a little anxious about both the cats and puppies safety. Our cats are friendly to humans, but have never come into contact with dogs before - so naturally I'm apprehensive.
I have 2 Tamaskans and 6 cats.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=683

When I first got Jasper as a puppy, I only had 3 adult cats... (the other 3 cats came later on, as kittens) - the dogs are great around the cats, they all get along fine.

In the beginning you just have to be careful when you introduce them because if the cats haven't come into contact with dogs before, they might attack the puppy... the pup will be curious about them but if the cats scratch the pup's eyes, it could go blind. As long as you carefully supervise the situation and monitor their interactions for the first few days, everything should be OK. The cats will definitely dominate the household. Just take it slowly and, before long, they will be great friends! :)

The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Luna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luna » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:07 pm

Thankyou everyone for your advice and experiences, it's really good to know that it can work. I will be majorally vigilant, that puppy won't be leaving my side!! Fingers crossed they react well and we have a happy house. That video is amazing, super cute :-)

jengianfrancesco
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Living with cats

Post by jengianfrancesco » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:25 pm

I have 2 female cats currently and my husband is interested in getting a Tamaskan. I wanted to find out if we would have any prey drive issues with the dog attacking the cats and hurting them.

Gabriele58
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Living with cats

Post by Gabriele58 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:53 pm

From what I've seen in photos and videos of Tams with cats, they seem to get along quite well. At least I hope that's the case because I have 3 cats and plan on getting a Tamaskan hopefully in the very near future.

I'll let the experts handle this one, but here is a video I saw on youtube that might at least partially answer your question.

Hope you get a chance to increase your family soon :)
~Gabriele~

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:15 pm

my tam, Sam and 1 of my cats...

you will have to decide, as the owner and protector of your cats if your cats will adapt to a new family member tho... even if the dog is ok, sometimes a cat will not adapt to a new dog in the house...

i didn't think about this till late last year when i helped my friend from school get a lab pup... it didn't bother the cat but the cat just didn't like it... so she gave the cat away :( (not saying in anyway you would do this, please don't be offended... i'm just saying it could get difficult if your cats don't like it ;) ).

:Edited: for smaller pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:20 pm

My Tamaskan loves my cats, of course if they run he will chase them (and they do not like that).

He did not grow up with them, got them as kittens last year. I think the only thing you should worry about is your cats accepting a new dog ;)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:06 pm

We already had a topic about cats and Tamaskans living together so I merged the 2 threads into 1. :)

Some more videos here:
http://www.tamaskan-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2323

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:49 pm

My cat adopted us years ago when she was young. Her last owner had another cat and they didn't get along so she moved out! 'Course she came to us before we had a dog and was too old to move again when we did get a puppy! Now she tolerates Maya but they're not exactly best friends! Maya often gets a quick swipe when she licks and nudges the cat too much!

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:25 pm

My Tam loves the cat. Luke had no expericence with dogs when I adopted him but he's adjusted quite well, so I lucked out ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cakesandcats
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cakesandcats » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:36 pm

This is so reassuring! One of the reasons I joined the forum is that we're still in the 'looking into' stage of getting a Tam, and as I breed maine coon cats, I'm concerned how they'd integrate.

We've already got a dog (a three legged bichon), and prior to that had a border collie, and we also 'baby-sit' a friends spaniel on a fairly regular basis, so the Coonies are all used to dogs - to the extent that when our neighbour's cat-killing lurcher comes to visit (on a lead) he sits and trembles because our cats don't run away from him... they go up and pat him on the head and sniff him as they think that's what one does with dogs!

From all the posts, pictures and videos, I'm assuming that, when we are finally in a position to get a puppy, that as long as we introduce them properly we should be fine :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Cakesandcats wrote:This is so reassuring! One of the reasons I joined the forum is that we're still in the 'looking into' stage of getting a Tam, and as I breed maine coon cats, I'm concerned how they'd integrate.

We've already got a dog (a three legged bichon), and prior to that had a border collie, and we also 'baby-sit' a friends spaniel on a fairly regular basis, so the Coonies are all used to dogs - to the extent that when our neighbour's cat-killing lurcher comes to visit (on a lead) he sits and trembles because our cats don't run away from him... they go up and pat him on the head and sniff him as they think that's what one does with dogs!

From all the posts, pictures and videos, I'm assuming that, when we are finally in a position to get a puppy, that as long as we introduce them properly we should be fine :D
Usually it's best to introduce cats to your dog (this goes for ANY nreed, not just Tamaskans) only IF you are confident that they'll learnt to get along well which is often true for pups and kittens/cubs but for adults it's sometimes more difficult for a cat to accept even a pup but this also depends mainly on your cats' personalities and agenda. The reverse is true for introducing a cat to your adult dog. But I've seen pit bulls getting along with cats perfectly and my family in Vietnam has two former feral cats who get along well with their neighbour dogs. My neighbourhood is full of feral cats that also get along with the dogs around the area, I've seen them sleeping side by side with a Lakeland Terrier at his sideyard from the house across the road from mine and I dare say they get along with other dogs and domestic cats better than with people. ;) But yes, do make sure you know if your cats will be happy with a dog or any other non-felines before you actually introduce a dog into their lives. Personalities can dictate their reactions to some extent.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:04 am

I have three Tamaskan and one cat, they all get along fine, sorry no photos though.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

maraach
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by maraach » Tue May 01, 2012 12:17 pm

TerriHolt wrote:my tam, Sam and 1 of my cats...

you will have to decide, as the owner and protector of your cats if your cats will adapt to a new family member tho... even if the dog is ok, sometimes a cat will not adapt to a new dog in the house...

i didn't think about this till late last year when i helped my friend from school get a lab pup... it didn't bother the cat but the cat just didn't like it... so she gave the cat away :( (not saying in anyway you would do this, please don't be offended... i'm just saying it could get difficult if your cats don't like it ;) ).

a burmese with a dog.... i had to admit, i was curious.. my burmese dominates anything that comes into the house.

Dozer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dozer » Wed May 02, 2012 5:34 pm

Have no photo's because they are not my dogs but someone I know that have tamaskan also have cats ( she had 3 but recantly one died) They all get along just fine also her other dogs and the cats and even birds

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed May 02, 2012 6:16 pm

Dozer wrote:Have no photo's because they are not my dogs but someone I know that have tamaskan also have cats ( she had 3 but recantly one died) They all get along just fine also her other dogs and the cats and even birds
Considering the size of her house and the number of animals (and people) all living under one roof - I'm really glad to hear that they all get along just fine, otherwise it would be a real nightmare situation.

Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Lynwae » Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 pm

We are working on it!
Ayla is here for two weeks now, and the cats tolerate her well, even if they are not the biggest friends in the world.
But the cats have never seen any dogs before, so they need time :)

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu May 03, 2012 1:21 pm

Hope jack and balto will get along! Just have to wait another 6 months to find out lol
Image Image

Dozer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dozer » Thu May 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
Dozer wrote:Have no photo's because they are not my dogs but someone I know that have tamaskan also have cats ( she had 3 but recantly one died) They all get along just fine also her other dogs and the cats and even birds
Considering the size of her house and the number of animals (and people) all living under one roof - I'm really glad to hear that they all get along just fine, otherwise it would be a real nightmare situation.
Hahaha I totally agree on you here. It would not be my way to live but they all (people and animals) are happy.
I do like their calmness in things tough but wow like you say what a nightmare it could be if it all didn't get along.
But for this topic it does show that it all is possible.........

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Thu May 03, 2012 3:06 pm

we don't have a big house either and right now 2 dogs and 8 cats
Ravi does very well with the litter of 5 kittens we have, they are almost 5 weeks now and running all over the place
although Ravi is not allowed to play with them cause he's not carefull enough

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 pm

I almost did not notice the kittens in the photo :)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu May 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Nice to see the little kitties have some huge buddies to look after them, and by huge buddies I mean by your other dog and Ravi under your supervision :P

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri May 11, 2012 8:42 pm

maraach wrote:

a burmese with a dog.... i had to admit, i was curious.. my burmese dominates anything that comes into the house.
My cat is a Ragdoll, more laid back than a Birman or Burmese... Al-tho i think you was thinking of a Birman?... A Burmese is a short-haired "self-coloured" cat usually of one colour only with the exception of the 4 Tortie or tortoisehell colours while the Birman is a "pointed" cat, similar colour to Siamese or Colourpoint Shorthairs. They also have longer coats than Burmese... And the main difference between the Birman and Ragdoll's are that Ragdolls are a larger cat with a longer body and come in 3 main patterns, Point, Mitted and Bi-colour. Birmans have a roman nose (looks like a bump when looking on the side) and have a different shape to their head.

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi Terri, do you mind if i use this picture on the British Tamaskan Website as an example of Tams and Cats getting on together?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:02 pm

No problem :D I'm sure Phoenix and Sam would be honored...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:36 pm

I love ragdolls, my big lilac point (blue-bell RIP) looooved my black lab Lily. They would sit beside eachother and sleep all the time. I didn't have a camera at the time so no pictures.

I'm hoping once we get my Tamaskan girl I can get an older cat, as much as I'd love a kitten, the humane society has 452 cats and 90% are adults, the kittens will find homes without a problem but it's the 6-12 year olds that really need a home. We'll have to see...
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:07 pm

I want a cat in the future.. the Ragdoll is at the top of my list so far :)
>> Nino <<

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:03 am

We have 4 cats and they all lived together in the house up to 8 dogs. We added 4 more pups last year and now decided to split them up. 4 pups tend to work together and that was a bit more dangerous with the cats.
Merely because if 1 starts running after a cat, a 2nd will follow and so on. Not even to hurt the cat, more to play with it. But with this many young, and not too careful, dogs and old cats ( 14 year old) we decided to avoid problems.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:09 pm

I just made a new photo album on facebook of my Tamaskan Dogs + Cats who all live together. :)

frogline
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by frogline » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Tamaskan live with cats... ok...
but not all cats agree to live with Tam...........

Heyden would like to play with Khloé and Klarence, but both are in opposition with the idea!...
So, Klarence, blind-cat, all teeth outside of mouth, straight hair on the back, begins to accept the remote presence of Tam!!!
Maybe, in few months, I'll be able to post marvelous pictures from my Animal-Team!...

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:38 am

Balto gets along with me cat fine. He was very curious and a tiny bit scared at first, but now they just ignore each other. Balto has also met my friends six (!) Cats and was fine with them. Slightly different story if we see a cat on our walks lol.
Image Image

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Nino wrote:I want a cat in the future.. the Ragdoll is at the top of my list so far :)
Funny, a LOT of the feral moggies living in my neighbourhood appear to have Ragdolls in them. If you were to return to Canada and interested in importing one of them back, the Downsview Animal Care Shelter is a good place to find them. I've actually co-operated with another person in my neighbourhood in luring and scooping up some of the kittens in the spring so that he can take them to the Downsview Animal Care shelter where they get cleaned, vaccinated, fixed, and put up for adoption. Some of the kittens later get sent to the bigger Toronto Animal Rescue, a no-kill shelter where potential adopter get thoroughly screened before any adoption is possible. A person I know in downtown actually owns one of those cats, a Ragdoll x Bengal moggie.

Many of these cats also interact well with the dogs in the neighbourhood. I've seen some sleeping next to one of my neighbour's side yard guard dog one night but they take off the moment a person comes near them.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:11 pm

I've looked into getting an F2 Savannah lately but after talking with a breeder in Scotland i decided it wouldn't be fair on my youngest cat who is very timid... and the 4k price tag put me off a bit :lol:
My cats are ok snuggling with Sam but they won't play... Even if he play bows and puts his face on the floor. How mean are they :lol:

I've been thinking about them because they are supposed to be the better cat to have with a bouncy dog who wants to play and will actually play back. I got told they'd be around the 2k mark so double what i was expecting...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:46 pm

if you want a cat that's more capable to interact with dogs I suggest you to look into the Turkisch Van
they don't have a very special apperence but you won't find a character like theirs in any other cat
next to liking water they also very often like dogs especialy when they grew up with them

and Vans aren't that expensive ;)

I breed Vans and I had a litter last year, one off them like the dogs even better then her brothers and sisters :lol:
and the biggest male from that litter loved to play with Ravi (jumping on and grabbing Ravi in the nek)
and the one that went to my mother just loves my parents dog, here's a video of him and the dog (don't know if you can see it)
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vi ... 2075274069

and this is the one who liked te dogs(specailly my gsd) better then her siblings
I made sure she went to a home with dogs and she still adores 'her' doggies :mrgreen:

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:01 pm

I also have two cats, ages 5 and 8, and they were NOT happy when I brought Max home. Oddly enough, they adjusted to him very quickly, albeit, still not thrilled. As Max has gotten older (now 14 mos) he does tend to chase them, but only because he wants to play. Not sure what is meant by prey drive - if Max see's something small running around, he gives chase, but once he catches up with it, it's all about play. Unfortunately, his paws usually cause more harm (to me as well) than his teeth :roll: .

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:59 am

Vajente wrote:if you want a cat that's more capable to interact with dogs I suggest you to look into the Turkisch Van
they don't have a very special apperence but you won't find a character like theirs in any other cat
next to liking water they also very often like dogs especialy when they grew up with them

and Vans aren't that expensive ;)

I breed Vans and I had a litter last year, one off them like the dogs even better then her brothers and sisters :lol:
and the biggest male from that litter loved to play with Ravi (jumping on and grabbing Ravi in the nek)
and the one that went to my mother just loves my parents dog, here's a video of him and the dog (don't know if you can see it)
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?vi ... 2075274069

and this is the one who liked te dogs(specailly my gsd) better then her siblings
I made sure she went to a home with dogs and she still adores 'her' doggies :mrgreen:

The top one reminds me of Phoenix swatting Sam when he wants to play, except there is more whining, hissing and moaning going on with a few spits... That is a seriously adorable white kitten! Always has a soft spot for white cats (i secretly re named my neighbors white cat ghost when i was little :D ).

Do they not grow up as timid as a lot of cats?
I mean, to be fair to phoenix (my Ragdoll) i think if he had grown up with a dog like Sam, he would be less fearful. My GSD he grew up with barely moved except to bark at the door, eat, go toilet, drink and snuggle. She never chased and was too fragile to play so he got used to the quiet life.
Nico (my Maine Coon) got sold to me as an outgoing kitten... But if you even whisper "boo" he'll jump. He's like a cat that has been mistreated all it's life. I feel sorry for him really, must be pretty hard going through life scared of everything. I just made the mistake of thinking, because they grew up with a dog they'd be ok with another...
Dottie wrote:I also have two cats, ages 5 and 8, and they were NOT happy when I brought Max home. Oddly enough, they adjusted to him very quickly, albeit, still not thrilled. As Max has gotten older (now 14 mos) he does tend to chase them, but only because he wants to play. Not sure what is meant by prey drive - if Max see's something small running around, he gives chase, but once he catches up with it, it's all about play. Unfortunately, his paws usually cause more harm (to me as well) than his teeth :roll: .
Yes, this is the problem i have. Been looking for a way to describe it without making Sam look like a demon dog because he only wants to play with the scaredy cats.
When i first brought Sam home, and people still don't believe me, but they didn't talk to me for a month! They moved up stairs, didn't come down for snuggles, didn't even tell me they wanted feeding... I had to go looking for them to make sure they were still in the house and hadn't done a prison break :lol: ...
Anything small running, i have to be quick with the "leave it" because if i'm too slow the cat gets a paw to the head. If the kids run, he will join them and grab their sleeve to run with them... Kinda like 2 kids running holding hands...
If the cats are just casually walking round he doesn't bother but if he makes a sudden movement like moves his foot to get comfy, he startles them into running. He does only want to play in the end, i think he thinks everyone runs to engage in play with him... That's why i've been on the hunt for a more durable (affordable) cat that won't make Nico's life even more scary (i won't say miserable because he is happy most of the time, just jumpy) but will still play with Sam.

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 am

TerriHolt wrote:The top one reminds me of Phoenix swatting Sam when he wants to play, except there is more whining, hissing and moaning going on with a few spits... That is a seriously adorable white kitten! Always has a soft spot for white cats (i secretly re named my neighbors white cat ghost when i was little :D ).

Do they not grow up as timid as a lot of cats?
I mean, to be fair to phoenix (my Ragdoll) i think if he had grown up with a dog like Sam, he would be less fearful. My GSD he grew up with barely moved except to bark at the door, eat, go toilet, drink and snuggle. She never chased and was too fragile to play so he got used to the quiet life.
Nico (my Maine Coon) got sold to me as an outgoing kitten... But if you even whisper "boo" he'll jump. He's like a cat that has been mistreated all it's life. I feel sorry for him really, must be pretty hard going through life scared of everything. I just made the mistake of thinking, because they grew up with a dog they'd be ok with another...
my parents dog never starts the play, he is not a real playfull dog, it's the cat who gets him playing.

Turkisch Vans are very dominant and arrogant cats, fear or timidness is not something you'll find often in these cat's. I do have a male who is a bit of a scardycat but that's not normal for a Van(and still you don't want to break in here cause he will kill you :mrgreen:).

The kittens were the ones that went to the dogs to get them to play with them not te other way around. Ravi was actually scared off them at first(cause the mama kept attacking him, she is a real bitch if she has baby's) it was the kitten wo chased him :lol:

yesterday I rode my horse to my mams house for the first time, their Turkisch Van had never seen a horse before and he kept on wanting to go to the horse, if it was up to him he was going to catch it :lol: fear is not something he knows. Also the reason why I would never let them outside by them selfs, my first Van would just go laying in the middle of the road, to arrogant to move aside if a car was coming, cars had to go around him :roll: