Is the Tamaskan the right fit for me? Please help.

All topics pertaining to the temperament / character of the Tamaskan Dog.
A11bandit
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Is the Tamaskan the right fit for me? Please help.

Post by A11bandit » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:57 am

Hi There. I have posted this under the "introductions" heading but thought it may get a few more views here. I have been researching Tamaskans and have found their human connections to be generous with the time and expertise and wonderfully dedicated to the breed. While I am in love with almost everything I have learned about this incredible breed, I am afraid I have locked into a few "red flags" that have lead me to believe a Tamaskan may not be the right fit for our family. I would greatly appreciate all honest feedback here. I have talked myself out of adopting a Tamaskan (breaking my heart) for the good of the puppy and want to make sure I am not overreacting.
Through great conversations with owners (thank you!) I am convinced a Tamaskan will make a wonderful and loving companion to every member of my family including my 7 & 12 year old children. I am also confident if I put in the proper time and effort, I can train a Tamaskan to be an obedient pet. I am mainly concerned in a few areas however. First, our dog will have two big walks a day to a large park and play with the kids but not more vigorous exercise. We don't have a yard we can leave him to run. Second, while I will crate the puppy while he is young, my hope is to one day give him free roam of the house even when we are gone. I would like to be able to leave him alone (no other pets) for up to 4 hours at a time if necessary. Do you believe this is realistic? I am also hoping to be able to let our Tamaskan off leash for his romps in the park and perhaps on our walks. I would like to know that is a possibility. Finally, I am worried about the prey drive. We live in a neighborhood filled with cats, squirrels and raccoons. My neighbors all know one another. If a cat goes missing, I would not be able to forgive myself nor do I think they would forgive me! I would love to be a part of this special breed and community you are creating, but I also want to be respectful and responsible. Please tell me I am making the right decision by looking into another breed (Norwegian Elkhound). Thank you!!!

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Is the Tamaskan the right fit for me? Please help.

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Hello!
I think some of this is down to the individual. For instance, some folks report high prey drive, while others do not. Freyja has killed quite a few things, including a woodchuck. She is keenly interested in the squirrels, birds, rabbits, cats and other critters in our neighborhood. She got away from me last year during an early morning walk and went after a skunk. That didn't end well. LOL
I think the activity level you are describing that you could provide a dog is good. But again, the crating issue comes down to the individual dog. I can trust Freyja most of the time to have free roam throughout the house. BUT, things need to be put away. We put the trash in a place where she can't get to it. Any item she could grab is put away (children's toys, boxes of tissues, a stray glove, shoes, etc.) Darwin likes to chew on books. We haven't given Raven the opportunity to have free roam of the house yet, and she's two years old.
Just my thoughts. Hope this is helpful.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:21 am

Hi, you seem very responsible by looking so carefully into this, which is awesome. :)
I also decided not to get a Tamaskan (mostly due to the separation anxiety, car sickness, exercise needs and off-leash problems present in some lines), but I'm just thinking about your other choice, the Elkhound.

I live in Sweden and as soon as you live some way from the cities (especially in the north, where I grew up), you see lots of hunting dogs, not the least Swedish and Norwegian Elkhounds. My concern is simply that they're not considered anything but a big game hunting dog (= huge prey drive and requires great deals of exercise), and while I don't really know your situation, I'm not sure how an Elkhound would be a better fit than a Tamaskan. :)

But I don't know if the Elkhounds in the US are bred differently than here in Scandinavia?
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:25 pm

You cannot hunt big game (moose) here in the US with dogs. That's the only thing that comes to my mind.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:41 am

I have a Norwegian Elkhound and a Tamaskan. My Norwegian is 11 yrs old and is very smart, easy to deal with, but was very hard to train as a youngster. My Tamaskan was much easier to train! I attempted to crate him as a pup and he was an escape artist BUT he proved to be more trustworthy then my 2 other adult dogs. Seriously, I could trust my Tam pup over my Norwegian and my Aussie dogs. My Tamaskan had a few issues going thru adolescence into adulthood, though. They are very smart dogs and you need to start training them from day one.