surgery on both ends

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

surgery on both ends

Post by AngieH » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Paka is undergoing surgery Monday (tomorrow) to close a fluid pocket in her gum so her adult tooth can come in properly. (she stabed herself in the upper left gums with her treated teething bone causing inflamation and producing a pocket of fluid that did not close after drainage and treatment.) Our vet is working with a canine dentist to insure her permanent teeth come in correctly and are not affected.

Since general anesthesia is required, we decided to have her spay done at the same time to spare her a second surgery later this year.

This isn't what we planned but weighing the risks, we would rather have the spay done early than have her anesthetized a second time.

The poor little thing. :cry: Her pretty little face swelled up and she didn't want to eat until the vet drained the fluid. An anti-inflammatory is keeping the swelling down while we wait for her surgery tomorrow.

Of course, since kibble can aggravate the situation, the vet has prescribed canned dog food or fresh meat only (no bones) until after her follow-up appointment to verify her gums have healed properly and her molars are secure. Paka is LOVING the diet :lol:

It's true I was looking for a way to win my husband over to raw... but I sincerely didn't want it to be like this. :roll: Still, this just might be what wins Paka her raw diet approval from her Daddy! 8-) sly little thing, I'd almost think she did it on purpose is she wasn't so misserable that first morning.

I had a dream last night that Paka came home with a cone around her head to protect her mouth and a cone around her waist (like a skirt) to protect her lady-bits! (she looked like a furry dumbbell!)

I'm trying to keep a stiff upper lip and stay strong and pragmatic, but I can't imagine spending Monday night without her while she is recovering at the vet's. And I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about her. :|
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: surgery on both ends

Post by Ryphen » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Aww, sorry to hear that. It's never any fun when they hurt themselves and require surgery. On the bright side, at least she has yummy new food to enjoy. Kumho loves his raw diet but has a bit of a food guarding issue with it.

Being an otherwise healthy dog, Paka should do well with the surgeries and recover quickly. If they bury the spay sutures, she probably won't need a cone at all. Though the idea of a skirt is amusing.

Kumho sends kisses to his sister and hopes she feels better soon.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:02 am

Hoping all goes well.

Canadia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Canadia » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:09 am

Best of luck to you guys x

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:37 am

Good luck with the surgery tomorrow, hope everything goes well for her :P

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:39 pm

Best of luck hope everything goes well.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Thank you everyone. We just dropped Paka off. She was enjoying herself when we left. She likes our vet. We expect to hear from the office around noon with a surgical report.
~Nin

Gabriele58
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Gabriele58 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:06 pm

Keeping Paka in my thoughts today. I know how difficult it is when you have to leave them for surgery and none of us like to see our babies in any kind of pain.

I hope all goes well with the surgery and that Paka feels better real soon. :)
~Gabriele~

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Paka woke up this morning in her own bed with her family. :) She appears to not be in any pain but toward the end of her first day home yesterday, she was walking with small steps (to avoid stretching the muscles of her abdomen?) and she is reluctant to jump up or down from the people bed. (which is a good activity to avoid for a few days anyway!)

Her pretty face is back to normal and it turns out, all the vet had to do with her gum was pull out the puppy molar. It was loose and it's movement kept shifting the margins of the fluid pocket preventing them from healing together. With the tooth gone, it's sealing nicely now.

Her spay incision is very neatly sewn and, so far, Paka is mostly leaving it alone. If we do catch her licking, we tell her "leave it" then, if she tries to do it again, we put the cone on her. She seems to have figured out she can get away with just the first lick or two but then, she better stop. I can live with that.

We went for a short walk "around the loop" of our neighborhood. (about 1/4 mile) instead of our usual Wednesday morning trip to the dog park.

It's wonderful having her home, safe and sound.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and well wishes.
~Nin

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Glad to hear everything went well :)
Image Image

Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Lynwae » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm happy too :)

Canadia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Canadia » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:03 pm

Glad to hear Paka is doing well x

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Glad she is doing well, :) can't wait for those stitches to come out.

Nahani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nahani » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Glad she is doing well and teh surgery went as planned. Good luck for a speedy recovery Paka! :)