Zeus has lymphoma.

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Zeus has lymphoma.

Post by wolfwannabe » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:05 pm

During the weekend of 14th and 15th of April 2012 Zeus started to go off his food, by Wednesday 18th he completely refused to eat, I thought perhaps he had cracked or broken a tooth or something. Whilst examining his mouth I felt two lumps in his throat just under his jaw.

On Thursday 19th off we went to the vets as soon as she felt the lumps she started to feel him all over and felt four more, two on the back of his back legs and two on his chest in front of his front legs. Dee (the vet) told me it was his lymph nodes and could be due to an infection but it was also possible it was lymphoma, my heart sank, I tried to think possitive but I had a very bad feeling. Dee recommended a blood test to start with, so blood was taken and we went home, I was shocked and shaken.

Friday 20th, blood results returned and and showed Zeus's liver wasn't working properly, so we had to go back to the vets. This time we saw Ben (vet) he checked Zeus over again and agreed with Dee and recommened a fine needle aspirate of the lymph node, so that's what we did. Home again I started to research and wished I hadn't, my bad feeling got worse.

We had terrible weekend with Zeus getting worse, barely eating, I had to hand feed him cooked chicken breast every couple of hours, it's the only thing he would eat, even then only a couple of mouthfuls before refusing more.

Monday 23rd. The results from the fine needle aspirate. It was possitive for lymphoma. We made an appointment for Wednesday to discuss with Ben (vet) what happens next. I just sat stunned and then cried until Zeus started to get upset so I had to pull myself together for him. (Zeus gets very upset and stressed if I cry)

Wednesday 25th. At the vets Ben explained about lymphoma and what my options were.
1. Put Zeus to sleep now. NOT an option for me NO way. (apparently some people do... shocking)
2. Do nothing and Zeus would go down hill very quickly and been gone in a matter of weeks. Again NOT an option for me.
3. Steriods. These would help and improve his life but would not extend it, again it would only be weeks. Maybe an option.
4. Chemotherapy. Scary thought. But with what I read on the internet and with what Ben explained to me. Maybe not so scary. AND could extend Zeus life by months possibly 6 - 18 months
So we desided to try the Chemotherapy with steriods, so Zeus had to stay for a couple of hours for his first Chemotherapy drug injection.

Zeus has been fantasic though out all of the proding and poking, shaving and injections, he has taken it all in his stride. He still wags his tail at the vet and doesn't seem worried by everything that is going. Everyone at vets loves him, he is being such a good boy, I am so proud of him.

Zeus has to take 11 tablets a day at the moment, and go back to the vets once a week for further Chemo.

I am so devastated by what is happened to my wonderful boy, I won't give up and will fight for every day with him for as long as Zeus wants to fight and live. He still loves his walks and is starting to eat a little better now but I still have to hand feed him.

I will keep you updated on his progress. I'm hopeing for many months to come.

Sorry for the long post. Hope its ok to post this here Zeus is not a Tamaskan.
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Zeus has lymphoma.

Post by nivenj » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:20 pm

I am so sorry to hear your news :-(

My thoughts will be with you and Zeus in the coming days/weeks/months and I hope that things do improve for both of you.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Chantelle
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Chantelle » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this, I went through a similar thing with my Border Collie (sarcoma of the nerve sheath), it's a devastating and heart wrenching thing. I wish you all the best in your journey and that the best possible outcome happens.

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:23 pm

That's a real shame. I'm sorry for you both.

Nahani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nahani » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:39 pm

Oh no that's just awful. Our hopes and thoughts are with you all. Love and hugs to Zeus..Xx

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:33 pm

Thank you everyone, he is going to very loved and spoilt, I'm taking him to all his favourite walks.

On a possitive note. He ate two whole cooked chicken breasts tonight out of his bowl, I didn't have to hand feed him, it made me so happy.... silly I know.
Mel.

MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MelB » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:17 pm

What a horrible shock for you all.
I hope Zeus does well it sounds like he's made a huge improvement already (yay for chicken breasts!)
Thinking of you & Zeus

Canadia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Canadia » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Glad to hear his appetite is better - He's a lucky boy to have someone like you x

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:26 pm

So sorry to hear this :( I hope the Chemo works and he lives for many more months.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:36 pm

So sorry to hear this shocking news :( You two will be in my prayers and hope he has many months, preferably years, ahead of him. <3

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:15 pm

So sorry to hear this. Hope he's pain free for a long time to come. He sounds like such a brave boy.
Image Image

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:38 pm

so sorry to hear this shocking news but he couldn't ask for a more dedicated owner - I will hope for the best.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:47 pm

I have pm'd you.

Stormslegacy
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Stormslegacy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:15 am

I'm so sorry, I hope that all goes well with the treatment!

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:47 am

So sorry to hear that. Good luck to you both and just take one day at a time!

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:48 am

Sorry to hear about Zeus :( I hope the treatment will work well for him and you can enjoy him for many more months to come.

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tarheel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Oh my gosh. This is terrible. I so feel for what you must be going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Zeus. Is this something that could be in his genes? Is there a need to test litter mates or Dam and Sire?
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:22 am

So sorry..... :cry:

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:26 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your news :( I wish the best of luck

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:41 am

:cry: I'm crying for reading this. I hope you have a lovely time with him for the rest of your time together. Never give up hope. My thoughts are with you and Zeus.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:48 pm

I am so terribly sorry for you and Zeus. He is a magnificent creature with an incredible spirit. I hope you are given many opportunities to make the most of your precious time together.
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Lynwae » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:38 pm

I'm so sorry bfor both of you.
I send you my best loving thoughts.

Gabriele58
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Gabriele58 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about Zeus. What a terrible time this must be for you :( . I will keep both you and Zeus in my prayers and hope for some sort of remission so you have lots more time to spend with your special boy. Hugs
~Gabriele~

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:58 pm

Thank you everyone for all you kind words.

A quick update.. Zeus is now eating well, almost back to normal. I am now giving him three small meals a day and a few treats in between, he's happily clearing his dish. I'm giving him small meals because I don't want over load his tummy.

He is also much more like himself, happy, cheeky and full of life.
Mel.

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:09 pm

Tarheel wrote:Oh my gosh. This is terrible. I so feel for what you must be going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Zeus. Is this something that could be in his genes? Is there a need to test litter mates or Dam and Sire?
I don't know if lymphoma is genetic, I have emailed his breeder but she hasn't got back to me yet. I do know the dam and sire are now retired, the dam had at least four litters that I know of, at least two with the same sire. I do worry Zeus's siblings and half siblings could be affected and wish I could warn them.

I have Zeus's pedigree if anyone wants to see it, he is a full Northern Inuit only registered as a British Inuit.
Mel.

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:33 pm

poor Zeus and poor you, :shock: sorry to hear your sad news keeping everything crossed all goes well for you .

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:35 pm

DAM - MALLIKA CHENOU OF SHOSHONE (LUTA)
G.DAM - MAHLEK CRY ME A RIVER AT MIYACA (RIVER)
G.SIRE - MAHLEK PAWNEE AMMIK

SIRE - MIYACA ZAZU OF SHOSHONE (ZAZU)
G.DAM - DAYTONA THE MOHAWK
G.SIRE - MAHLEK KENKAMKEN

I do have another generation on his pedigree and 6 out of 8 are Mahlek dogs. I have been told quite a few N.I.'s have had this terrible desease.

Although I'll never regret buying my lovely boy, he's such a special boy and I love him so very much, BUT if I knew then what I know now about the health problems in N.I.'s (Zeus has always had skin problems and tummy problems).... Well..... Lets just say never again...
Mel.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:06 pm

MAHLEK is the breeder's name spelt back to front. She is known to do many close related matings so it is not surprising that so
many NI's have health issues as many come from this particular kennel. She has also had dealings with the RSPCA which stands for
Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Any further info on this kennel will have to be by pm to me sorry.

shurr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by shurr » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:30 am

that's terrible I'm so sorry :[

I hope the treatments go well though and hoping for the best.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:45 am

So sad, my thoughts are with you!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

shurr
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by shurr » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:50 am

the above post was by my girlfreind since we share an account. I hope for the best for you. Years ago my family rescured a dog from the pound and it later developed cancer, I cant recall what type it was, but she managed to hold for for 2 years happily before it got her. I hope Zues make it much longer, hes an amazing sounding dog.

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sat May 05, 2012 6:45 am

I'm so sorry to hear this. And even more saddening is to read about the irresponsible (to me) breeder, imagining how many other dogs and their loving unsuspecting owners can face health problems. I hope you have the best and longest time together as possible, and I wish you strength when in comes to the sad decision to let Zeus go...

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sat May 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Sorry to hear this sad news, I hope the treatment works and you get many more years with him.

wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by wolfwannabe » Sun May 06, 2012 5:01 am

Update

Zeus was doing very well until Wednesday, he had hjs second chemo injection, that night he became very sick, I had to sleep on the floor with him to keep him calm. He would only sleep while I stroked him.

Thursday back to the vets, Ben (vet) thinks he got an intestinal infection, he gave him two injections, an antebiotic injection and one to stop the sickness. Also more tablets and a Antepsin suspension to line his tummy.

Saturday my boy is a fighter :) he is almost back to normal now :)

I think the infection was my fault, I allowed him to play in flooded fields on Tuesday, he was having so much fun I didn't have the heart to stop him. I feel guilty and am very glad he managed to fight back (with a alot of help from Ben) I will be much more careful in the future.

I just wanted to add... Please insure your dogs.... I didn't.. I thought if something goes wrong "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it." Well that bridge is very very long and oh so steep :(
Mel.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun May 06, 2012 6:42 am

Glad he is doing a little better. He really loves you and it shows <3

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Mon May 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry to read about that :(
I hope Zeus will recover! It's always terrible to see your loved pets suffer. Keep your heads up!

On a sort of related note, I'm not much of a fan of chemotheraphie (my mum had to went through it and it really did long-term damage her system) and I heard medical cannabis does help people who have to take it. I wonder if it may help dogs also, or if it doesn't compute with their system?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 pm

if it works for people it should work for dogs too... the difference is that a human would know what is going on and what to expect etc, whereas it could be a traumatic or scary experience for a dog if it isn't administered in small doses. then again catnip has no effect on humans (but it is a drug to cats) so by that logic cannabis might not work for dogs after all...
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 am

Cannabis does have a similar effect on dogs as it does humans. We heard stories in a toxicology class of people that would bring their dogs in after they got into their stash and be very reluctant to tell the vets exactly what happened. If the dogs had enough of it, it was usually fairly obvious what happened. Not sure if it's ever been used as part of a chemotherapy regime for dogs though.

Sounds like Zeus is responding to his treatment, even if there are some bumps along the way. Continued good luck!

blackmeadows
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by blackmeadows » Wed May 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Sorry to hear the news, but I am happy to hear he's hanging in there! You both will be in my thoughts.

Julie
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Julie » Thu May 10, 2012 3:53 am

I am so sorry to hear about your Zeus. My thoughts are with you and I hope the Chemotherapy puts that terrible lymphoma into remission so Zeus has many more years for you to love and spoil him.