Playing after eating

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Playing after eating

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:40 am

I've heard that some dogs can get sick from playing after eating a meal, things ranging from they end up puking their food back up, some stomachs end up turning, or some even dying(?!) (I don't remember exactly everything, just that they should not play after eating). This is only what I have heard from other dog owners, not researched it yet.

So I ask, does anyone else's Tamaskan love to play after eating? I try to get Ulric, and now Zelda, to remain calm for at least an hour before letting them play again after eating. Should I continue this or let them play?

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Playing after eating

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:37 am

I've always been told that if the dog has exercised (no matter how long; or rough-housed with other dogs a great deal), then wait at least 1 hour before feeding them. The same goes for letting a dog wait at least 1 hour after eating before they get to exercise/rough-house/strenuous activity.

So, I always practice the 1 hour (sometimes 45 min) rule for:
1. Car Rides
2. Before exercise
3. After exercise (even if it's a 3 min full out run in the yard)

I don't even let Abby play fetch in the house after she eats. :P

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:01 am

I found out the hard way that, although Wylie can play after eating (he normally sleeps now so it's not a problem), Sam will hurl his entire meal. I don't like letting them play for at least 45 minutes so I send Sam away and let Wylie sleep.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:16 am

playing with a full stomach is indeed bad. The worst that can happen is indeed that the stomach turns and when not helped soon enough on that the dog dies............

Always before and after no playing rule........

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Wed May 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Would I assume this also applies to other stress sources as well ?
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Thu May 16, 2013 4:54 pm

With most of our dogs we had I noticed that they got really hyper/playful ESPECIALLY after eating (before dropping dead into some deep sleep), even when walked out for a long while before that.

Although especially for larger dogs I would not recommend playing/exercise directly to shortly after eating.
Friends had a large Fila Brasileiro girl, and she died because her stomach turned, which happened probably because she played right after she ate. Sad.
So really, I wouldn't chance it. If my dog gets hyper/playful I usually either send him to bed or have him lying next to me while tugging a bit on his toy before he goes to full-belly-nap.