Chronic diarrhoea

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
AndyBR
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Chronic diarrhoea

Post by AndyBR » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Hi, I would be grateful if any other Tamaskan owner can offer any advice. Willow is 3 (4 in June) and has had chronic diarrhoea for 4 weeks. Initially was on Royal Canin Chicken & Rice sensitive but went straight through her. Vet gave her Pro-kolin which seemed to work for a day but back to runs again soon after. We boiled up our own chicken and white rice but our normally 'eat all thats put in front of her' gradually went off the rice and would ignore it completely!! All this time her poo is cow pat consistency to fire hose liquid!! She was losing weight too. She started off around 23kgs and has dropped down to 19.6kgs

She has since had a blood test and it showed her pancreas is functioning normally. Further blood tests to check blood biochemistry should her blood protein and albumin to be low. Vet considered small bowel biopsy as there is obvious malabsorption but, rightly so, is reluctant with blood protein as low. On steroids at the moment and the first 24 hours on them she had her first solid poo for a month!! Unfortunately our elation was short lived. She then went back to cow pat consistency to liquid again in the space of a week while still on steroids. She is fed 3 times a day on boiled chicken and Burns Chicken & Brown Rice. She has no infection and is not dehydrated and before she was on steroids she was very subdued. Should probably mention too that she was in season this whole time although that has now finished.

Is there a connection to her being in season? Does she have a food allergy?? (The only constant food has been chicken). We are extremely worried about her. Back to vet tomorrow for more bloods. Has anyone experienced anything similar??

Many thanks in advance

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Chronic diarrhoea

Post by Katlin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Try something lower in protein like Go! Salmon, maybe that will help? Royal Canin isn't a great quality food because it's packed full of grains and fillers. This sounds like a doggie version of a gluten / corn intolerance.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:06 am

Have you tested her for Giardia?! (is the diarrhea greasy / slimy / runny with a yellowish color?)
In her case, I definitely recommend a BARF diet - avoid kibble diet at all costs (or at least stick to a grain/wheat-free kibble).
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:45 am

hi andy,
we had a similar thing with our girl lexi last year and it all stemed from her season. our vet seemed to think it was a hormonal thing tied in with her season. she also lost around 4 kilo in weight which was worrying but is now a healthy 29 kilo. we changed her food onto the harringtons moist tray food with beta pet maintainance which she thoroughly enjoys and it is keeping her weight on nicely. also she gets runny pooh when she has been running through the stagnant burns then licks her paws but only for a day. i wish you luck with her as i know what a worry they can be.

AndyBR
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AndyBR » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:04 pm

UPDATE: Thanks for the replies. Heartened to knows there are people out there offering help :)

Willow had her visit at the vets and she has put on a little weight. She now weighs 20.4kgs. Vet gave her a good check and her temperature is ok and she is not dehydrated. Her abdomen is soft and is not tense at all. On palpation of her abdomen there are no lumps, bumps or anything out of place. Vet is very reluctant to change her diet at this time but to feed her little and often. She would rather have Willow's diarrhoea more under control. We mentioned giardia but the vet wasn't convinced. We will get a stool sample anyway to rule out parasitic and bacterial infection.

We've to continue with the steroids and she is now on Metroclopramide to slow down her gut process so she isn't 'producing' too regular. It will also alleviate any gas build up :)

Not a brilliant outcome but she is no worse than she was. When we get this under control we will look into changing her diet.
Fingers crossed Willow shows improvement soon. What do other owners feed their Tamaskans??

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:00 pm

Wylie gets a mix of raw chicken, fruit, veggies, and NOW turkey for puppies.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:40 pm

We feed Taste of the Wild kibble. I'm not sure if that's available in Scotland (but it is here in the US). We have found that the grain free foods are key. Otherwise ours have runny poos. I also cook for the dogs to make our own wet food. I take 2 pounds of chicken, venison or turkey and some veggies and water. First, fill the pot with water, throw in veggies and cook until soft. Then use either a hand blender to mix or throw veggies in a blender to puree. Return all veggies and water to stock pot. Throw in diced meat and cook through. You now have "dog soup" to put over top of kibble. Ours never miss a meal now. Prior to this, it wasn't uncommon for Freyja to refuse a meal. I think it's a moisture thing. And a stinky thing.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:45 pm

I think it exists in Scotland. That brand is very popular.

AndyBR
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AndyBR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys :) Things are still on going with Willow. Mid week she was very lethargic and had visibly lost weight in a couple of days. Vet treated her for giardia even though stool sample result is still awaited and there has been a difference. Within a few hours she was back to her old self and even slept all night!! (first for 5 weeks). Poo is still loose but not liquid and still with a lot of gas! Think we may still have to have a small bowel biopsy done though.

Back at vet on Wednesday...will keep you posted

Andy

PS. Have been looking into TOTW and the only place we can get it is from zooplus.com :(

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 pm

At least something seems to be helping. Wishing you continued good luck.

MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MelB » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:45 am

Glad something has improved.

We use James Well Beloved Lamb & Veg for Cindy. It is cereal free. I don't know if this would help Willow.....

Perhaps worth a try. James well Beloved will send out samples if you want to see if it will even be eaten (before trying a bit more to see if it improves matters)

AndyBR
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AndyBR » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Oh no :( the latest round of stool sample results have come back and they show nothing untoward :( No parasites, no campylobacter, no fungi, no bacteria...no nothing, just watery poo! :( Willow has now been referred to Glasgow Vet School and we will be going there within the next couple of days.

We can only that it is dietary. Vet School will conduct tests for allergies and such. Michael, the Director of Natural Instinct, has very kindly offered to feed Willow free for two months and pay for blood tests.

I will keep you informed of Willow's progress.

Andy

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:56 am

Wow! That's nice. I'm assuming tests like that wouldn't be cheap.
Image Image

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 am

AndyBR wrote:Michael, the Director of Natural Instinct, has very kindly offered to feed Willow free for two months and pay for blood tests.
Wow! that's great - good luck!
I really hope you'll be able to get to the bottom of it... and hopefully there will be some signs of improvement in the near future.

AndyBR
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AndyBR » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:34 pm

Hi guys,

Willow has been to the Glasgow Vet School and had and ultrasound scan and blood taken. Scan was fine but showed some thickening to her small bowel. Her bloods revealed the folate and protein to be very low. She had also lost more weight. She was kept in overnight to have stomach and small bowel biopsies done via endoscope and sent for pathology and culture.

That was last Tuesday and she has had a vitamin B12 injection and been on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Hydrolised Protein diet to try and get her blood proteins up. She is also prescribed Metronidozole and Prednisone. Her stools are still loose but we are now a a very thick cow pat consistency.

Vet phoned earlier today and said Willow has idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease. No cultures were obtained. We are back at our own vet tomorrow for another B12 jab and to check her weight (we think she's put some back on). Back at Vet School in three weeks.

We are now definitely thinking of changing her diet but at the moment we have to keep her on the hydrolised protein. Have contacted Michael of Natural Instinct (see earlier posting) and fingers crossed that we have a solution.

Andy x

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:30 pm

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Who are Willow's parents? Tams are known to have 'sensitive' stomachs (which is why BARF diet is recommended, and kibbles with grain must be avoided like the plague) but it sounds like Willow has an even more serious medical condition, which might be genetic.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Fingers and paws crossed for you here... Poor girl :(

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:08 pm

May Nirvana bring hopes to her recovery

nine00
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by nine00 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:19 am

My boy Loki had runny stools for his first year or so. In that time period, I tested with different kinds of kibble and finally settled on Blue Buffalo (Chicken and Brown Rice). This kibble seemed to stiffen up his stool a bit but he still has the occasional bout of loose stool. I hope this clears up for you and your girl soon!

AndyBR
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AndyBR » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Hi guys,

Its been a long time!! Willow is stable and I'm happy to say has been for a wee while. Never wanted to say anything in case it tempted fate. She has idiopathic inflammatory bowel disease but it is diet controlled. She does still have to take medication but the dosage is slowly being reduced. Her weight is stable at 26.6kgs. She is on Fish4Dogs Salmon & Potato and is doing really well on it. Regular blood tests at Glasgow Vet School to check her protein levels are maintained.

Compared to April 2013 she is doing brilliantly :D When we were first seen at the Vet School she was on the verge of multi-organ failure due to her protein being so low. Laura (our Vet at the School) has been absolutely brilliant and we are so grateful to her for saving Willow's life. We were that close to losing her. She will always be on medication but we are getting it to the lowest dose possible. We also have to be very vigilant about what she eats. She has, on occasion, sneakily eaten the cat's food and within 12 hours she suffers for it. That'll be her loose for 2-3 days. We also cannot let her loose of lead in case she injures herself as she is taking immuno-suppressants.

All in all its been a looooonnnngggg journey but I still keep fingers crossed that all will be ok.
Willow at back door.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:16 am

It's so good to hear of a great update on Willow! She is looking pretty good :)

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:03 am

Good to hear you've got it sorted out. Hope she continues to do well. :)

AndyBR
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AndyBR » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 pm

Thanks so much :D I am sorry that it did take so long to update but just wanted to make sure things were ok. The next step is to reduce her medication. The steroids will hopefully no longer be needed in the next two weeks. We've gradually been reducing the dosage over the past couple of months and the last lot of blood tests showed that her adrenals are producing their own cortisol. Long term use of steroids can prevent this. The next step is reducing the immunosuppressent. It's a really nasty drug and she's been on it for a year now. Vet said if she was going to react to it she would've done so before now.

Slowly but surely we're getting there. Thanks you to everyone who offered advice and support...you're a great bunch of guys :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.