Pyometra

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Pyometra

Post by Sylvaen » Thu May 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Bad news: veterinary diagnosis confirmed that Vala has Pyometra.
Good news: it is open-cervix Pyometra and the prognosis - treatment with Alizin (proligeston) - looks somewhat hopeful...

http://www.belbergere.com/documents/Ali ... atment.pdf

Otherwise, Vala seems totally healthy and active... eating and drinking normally, lively, etc. If it wasn't for the discharge (pus) I wouldn't have realized that anything was wrong - luckily I am very attentive and noticed right away. If I hadn't seen the bloodtest results and further confirmation by ultrasound, I almost wouldn't believe she was so sick. We walked 8km (from the vet clinic to home) and she pulled the whole way.

At only 1 year old, and never (yet) mated, you just don't expect it... hopefully (*fingers crossed*) we discovered it in time and the treatment will be successful. Otherwise she will have to be sterilized/spayed, which means no Vala puppies.

I am feeling somewhat optimistic though, just as I had a strong feeling it was Pyometra the moment I discovered it (and therefore took her straight to the vet) despite no other symptoms, I also had/have a good feeling that she will recover (hopefully). She is on daily antibiotics for the next 8 days, and has to have a repeat injection of Alizin (proligeston) in 24 hours, followed by another ultrasound scan in 8 days and, if necessary, a repeat injection of Alizin (proligeston).

IF the treatment is successful, then the vet insisted that Vala will have to be mated during her next heat cycle (in 5-6 months from now) to ensure the future health of her uterus. She will be around 18 months old at that time (she is now 13 months old). We weren't planning to breed her until she was 2 years old (or closer to that age, in spring 2014) but it looks like we don't have much choice. Her fertility might be slightly reduced but hopefully not... anyway, for now we just have to hope that this treatment will work.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Pyometra

Post by Katlin » Thu May 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Well I hope that these injections work! If you do have the opportunity to breed her, will you?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu May 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Katlin wrote:Well I hope that these injections work! If you do have the opportunity to breed her, will you?
Thanks. Yes, next time she is in heat we will breed her. My male of choice for her would be Magu (in the Netherlands) but it is a long way to drive, especially considering the fact that her fertility might be reduced, but we'll see what we can organize.

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Thu May 02, 2013 8:10 pm

You have no idea that I am so glad you found this so early......( I think you know what I mean here)
Hope you are also early enough that the treatment works good and that you do not need to spay her, but sorry to say but most the cases I heard of they almost always consists of the removal of the uterus and ovaries.

wolfwoman
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by wolfwoman » Thu May 02, 2013 8:18 pm

I hope the treatment does his work, and she can in next heat get some puppy's !!
http://www.vantaelsesluske.nl __ greetings Stefanie

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Fri May 03, 2013 2:16 am

I hope everything works out, and in several months you can welcome in some beautiful tam puppies :D

Poor vala, give her some hugs for me :(

Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cornelia1986 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:37 am

Poor Vala!
Does anybody know why Pyometra arises? Is this a virus, a bacterially or a environment thing?
Fingers crossed the inoculation will help your baby girl! Thank god you found out so early!!!
There once was a wolf-
a wolf lonlier than the mountains

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 am

Sylvaen wrote:
Katlin wrote:Well I hope that these injections work! If you do have the opportunity to breed her, will you?
Thanks. Yes, next time she is in heat we will breed her. My male of choice for her would be Magu (in the Netherlands) but it is a long way to drive, especially considering the fact that her fertility might be reduced, but we'll see what we can organize.
Did the vet say her fertility may be reduced?
Never heard of that side effect before...

And yes...It sure is a long drive! But we do have a bed for you ;)

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Fri May 03, 2013 10:25 am

For now: Lets just hope she reacts to the treatment! And I am happy that, within this scenario, it is at least an open pyometra.
The closed ones are even more scary.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and her!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 am

Hope it all works out ok for her (and you)...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri May 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks everyone. We won't know for a few more days if the treatment is working (or if it will be successful) but so far, so good.
weylyn wrote:You have no idea that I am so glad you found this so early......( I think you know what I mean here)
Hope you are also early enough that the treatment works good and that you do not need to spay her, but sorry to say but most the cases I heard of they almost always consists of the removal of the uterus and ovaries.
Yep, I know what you mean... I am also very relieved that we discovered it in time, but I am a bit annoyed / surprised that she even got it in the first place - it is just "one of those things" that can happen at any time but you just don't expect it to happen to you, until it does. As you say, as soon as I discovered it my heart sunk: I was pretty much certain that she would have to be spayed/sterilized immediately (I figured that was the only 'cure' until I did a bit more research online). http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/ve ... ail/773936
In certain cases, such as young, valuable breeding bitches with an open-cervix pyometra that
are not critically ill, medical management may be considered. Injections of a hormone called
prostaglandin f 2 alpha are given for 3-5 days, along with antibiotics and fluids. There are side
effects to the prostaglandin, including panting, drooling, diarrhea and vomiting. If the animal has
not responded well to medical management, surgery needs to be considered.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vmth/smal ... ometra.pdf
Is there an alternative to spaying?

In some cases, such as a valuable breeding dog with an open pyometra, the condition can be treated medically. Medical treatment involves using prostaglandin to contract the uterus and expel the infected material through the cervix. This approach is not always successful, and it can have some serious drawbacks. The outcome with medical treatment depends on whether the cervix is open or closed. Open pyometra has a higher success rate with medical treatment, whereas the success rate for closed pyometra is low. Also important to note is that there is a good chance of recurrence with medical treatment. The chance of successful breeding following treatment is only 50-75%. Your veterinarian can advise you which method of treatment is best for your pet.

http://www.brightwoodanimalhospital.com/pyometra
Luckily she met all the criteria for treatment, but then my local vet said he never heard of Pyometra ever being successfully treated with hormones and antibiotics, and he wanted to book her in for surgery the very next morning! I persisted though, and phoned my other vet who, it turns out, has successfully treated several cases (in cats and dogs) using a newer treatment (Alizin injections) rather than the 'outdated' prostaglandin injections. Unfortunately, he said the rate of re-occurrence is quite high but as long as she is mated during her next heat cycle, hopefully that will prevent her from getting Pyometra again. (There's also a risk that she will get it again during the 'skipped' heat cycles, but we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it.)
Cornelia1986 wrote:Poor Vala!
Does anybody know why Pyometra arises? Is this a virus, a bacterially or a environment thing?
Fingers crossed the inoculation will help your baby girl! Thank god you found out so early!!!
It is a bacterial infection of the uterus that affects unsterilized bitches (usually older females) which have not yet had a litter. It usually happens directly following a heat cycle, when their bodies are producing progesterone (fake pregnancy) as part of their normal cycle... excess progesterone provides favorable conditions for the uterus to become infected and fill up with pus. It is especially dangerous if the cervix closes and the pus becomes trapped as it has no where to drain so the uterus will continue to expand with pus until it bursts open, releasing the toxins into the body, by which point it is deadly. Even with open cervix cases, internal organ infection is still very dangerous because the body has to filter out the toxins via the kidneys and the bacteria can cause toxic shock syndrome / septicemia.
Karen wrote:Did the vet say her fertility may be reduced?
Never heard of that side effect before...

And yes...It sure is a long drive! But we do have a bed for you ;)
Thanks Karen :)
Yes, there is the potential for reduced fertility due to uterine scaring (damaged caused by the Pyometra)... but since it is open Pyometra, I am hopeful the damage/scaring (if any) would be minimal.
Following such treatment, the bitch must be bred on her next estrous cycle, or the pyometra will likely recur. She should receive antibiotics during proestrus and estrus, and her white blood cell count should be monitored after breeding. Early pregnancy should be confirmed by ultrasound to differentiate from pyometra. It may be wise to establish the number of puppies desired from this dam and breed her on her next few consecutive cycles, get two or three litters from her, and then spay her. If she is a young bitch with pyometra due to a cause such as estrogen treatment, it may not be necessary to breed her on every heat. She should be carefully monitored however.

The likelihood of a bitch returning to reproductive capacity after pyometra varies. If she was never successfully bred before, she probably still won't get pregnant. If she has previously whelped and is in good health, chances are 50 to 75% that she will be able to bear another litter. Her fertility may be reduced due to damage to the uterus caused by the pyometra. If there is uterine scarring, there are fewer locations for the new embryos to implant, and litter size will be smaller. As well, remember that pyometra mainly affects older bitches, at a time when their fertility is naturally declining anyway.

http://www.vizsladogs.com/ARTICLES/pymoetra.htm

Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cornelia1986 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Thanks Debby for the explanation! Even if I will not get a female I want to get as much informations as possible to become also a Tamaskan-Profi!
I hope Vala is doing good and the medication will help her! Still fingers and toes crossed!
There once was a wolf-

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 pm

No problem :)
So far Vala seems to be OK... it looks like there is less discharge so hopefully the antibiotics + Alizin treatment is working. We will go back in 7 days for another ultrasound to check if her uterus is back to normal (not inflamed / full of pus) so hopefully we will have good news next week.

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Sat May 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Will cross my fingers! Really hope she will be ok and will be able to become a mommy next season :)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu May 09, 2013 6:52 pm

Oh draticute, I hope she is fine now. It's sucks when these things happen to a bitch especially when she's on the breeding list and I REALLY HOPE her fertility was not affected by this because while I'm aware that you still have other potential breeding females, it is always disheartening to see another dog being removed from the potential breeding zone all because of a pyometra or any secondary infections like canine vaginitis. May the Tree of Enlightenment shine a bright future for Vala.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Fri May 10, 2013 3:26 am

It may seem old-fashioned, but I'll pray with Saint Roch (the patron saint of dogs) for her complete recovery!

Mark
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sat May 11, 2013 9:59 am

Poor Vala, i hope she recovers soon and successfully! I did a little googling of the term and now I regret it, the pictures are horrendous... :( Thankfully you noticed it early, what a terrible death it must be, when the uterus bursts.

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Tana also has a small infection in her uterus:/ Nothing serious yet, but still. I became suspicious, when she bleeding almost all the time, when she was in heat. We went to the vet yesterday and checked uterus with the ultrasound. Tana is happy and playfull like always, so we decided to wait a few weeks and then check again.

Debby, I will be veery happy, if you can answer ASAP (mail). I must know, if I will her neutered or not. Vet thinks that this is the best option, if we won't have puppies. I agree.

Best wishes to Vala!

wolfwoman
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by wolfwoman » Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 pm

How is Vala now?
Do the medicine help her ?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu May 23, 2013 11:21 am

Tana wrote:Tana also has a small infection in her uterus:/ Nothing serious yet, but still. I became suspicious, when she bleeding almost all the time, when she was in heat. We went to the vet yesterday and checked uterus with the ultrasound. Tana is happy and playfull like always, so we decided to wait a few weeks and then check again.
I'm very sorry to hear this, but please don't wait! IF there is ANY infection, it is very important to start her on antibiotics immediately. Vala was also totally healthy / happy / active / playful / eating normally - I wouldn't have known that anything was wrong with her at all (apart from noticing the discharge that she kept licking) until I saw her blood test results, which were totally off the chart: a few more days and she would have gone into septic shock!

Definitely get Tana blood tested today and see what the results say... if she has an active infection (very high white blood cell count) then she must start antibiotics right away, because it can rapidly turn deadly. If you notice a discharge then it means the infection is draining out (via her open cervix) BUT the infection is still being produced in the uterus: it must be treated. IF it goes untreated for a while, and her cervix closes up in the meantime, then the infection becomes trapped and cannot drain out of the uterus. Her uterus will then slowly swell up with pus until it bursts, flooding her body with toxic bacteria and she will go into septic shock: at which point she will likely die within 24-48 hours. The only effective treatment for pyometra is to start her on Alizin injections right away (one today, one tomorrow, and one more in 8 days) with an antibiotic pill every morning and every night (total = 250mg per day).

So far, Vala has responded very well to the treatment and she will have her final (control) check up tomorrow. It *looks* as though the pyometra has been completely treated... but we will see for sure on her final ultrasound tomorrow. If the treatment is successful then we *must* mate her on her next heat cycle to ensure it doesn't happen again next time. Of course, we still have to have her hip scored in the meantime so if she gets a bad score she would be sterilized/spayed anyway and not used for breeding.
Tana wrote:Debby, I will be veery happy, if you can answer ASAP (mail). I must know, if I will her neutered or not. Vet thinks that this is the best option, if we won't have puppies. I agree.
I will reply right now! :)

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Thu May 23, 2013 12:28 pm

Sylvaen wrote: So far, Vala has responded very well to the treatment and she will have her final (control) check up tomorrow. It *looks* as though the pyometra has been completely treated... but we will see for sure on her final ultrasound tomorrow. If the treatment is successful then we *must* mate her on her next heat cycle to ensure it doesn't happen again next time. Of course, we still have to have her hip scored in the meantime so if she gets a bad score she would be sterilized/spayed anyway and not used for breeding.
Happy to hear that. Keeping my fingers crossed for next appointment and good hip scores - common Vala :D

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Thu May 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Can only advise to listen to Debby!
And take into notice that there are 2 different pyometras: The open one where you can see discharge.
But there is also a 2nd one which is even more dangerous! : The closed one. You dont see any discharge, not even in the beginning of the infection.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu May 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Karen wrote:Can only advise to listen to Debby!
And take into notice that there are 2 different pyometras: The open one where you can see discharge.
But there is also a 2nd one which is even more dangerous! : The closed one. You dont see any discharge, not even in the beginning of the infection.
Exactly... and it can start as open pyometra and then progress to closed pyometra. It all depends how long ago her heat cycle was and the current position of her cervix, which will eventually close up after a certain amount of time (depending on her hormone levels). This is why, if you see discharge now, then NOW is the time to treat it: before the infection becomes closed / trapped within her uterus with no where to drain. In a couple of weeks it might seem like the infection has cleared up on its own, because you won't see discharge anymore, but actually it is still happening inside her body and so it is a much more serious problem (and more difficult to treat). By this point, sterilization/spaying (removal of ALL her reproductive organs) is the only 'cure' and if her uterus already bursts open, then it is certainly life-threatening. Either way, it is a very serious situation that requires immediate intervention. I highly recommend starting Alizin treatment NOW (along with antibiotics) and then you can decide in the near future whether or not to spay/sterilize her: if the treatment is not successful, if she doesn't get a good hip score, or if you don't plan to breed her in the future.

wolfwoman
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by wolfwoman » Thu May 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Sylvaen wrote: So far, Vala has responded very well to the treatment and she will have her final (control) check up tomorrow.
Good to hear!
Hopefully, the last check tomorrow all right !!

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Thu May 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Great news!
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Please keep us updated on this. I look forward to hearing that the situation is getting better

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat May 25, 2013 10:44 am

So far, so good. The vet couldn't even find the uterus on the ultrasound yesterday so it looks like the infection is gone completely... we will go back for a follow up exam / ultrasound in 1 month. :)

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Sat May 25, 2013 11:19 am

Great news!!!
Don't appologise for your ancestry, but stand straight and be proud (Dogwisdom)

Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cornelia1986 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:53 am

So great that Vala is doing fine again! :)
There once was a wolf-

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Sat May 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Whoo hoo! :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun May 26, 2013 11:40 am

Yay for Vala!

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Whiltierna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Whiltierna » Mon May 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Yay!!!
Thank you for the update!

wolfwoman
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by wolfwoman » Mon May 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Thats good news !!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Problem... Vala is in heat AGAIN :(
I noticed blood yesterday and more again today... it is definitely coming from her and not any of the other bitches.

Really not sure what to do now as the vet said she must be mated on her next heat cycle but I certainly wasn't expecting it so soon, not for another few months at the earliest. She definitely has very short / unusual cycles (not normal) but perhaps the Alizin triggered her heat cycle to start again (so soon?) - it is very strange!! Another issue is that she hasn't been hip scored yet - my gut feeling says to hold off and not breed her NOW but I really don't want her to get pyometra again! Any ideas/suggestions??

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:20 pm

Sorry for the obvious question but have you asked your vet if Alizin can trigger a heat to come sooner?
Are you expecting anyone else to come into heat now, perhaps Vala is aligning with them (dormitory effect)?
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Update: just got off the phone with our reproductive vet. Apparently the Alizin injections *can* shorten the heat cycle / trigger it to come sooner. Why couldn't he have told me that 2 months ago? lol :?

He recommends that she should be bred on this heat cycle... that this is a "good thing" and that we should "take this opportunity" so as to minimize the risk of pyometra reoccurring. Well, that's just fantastic because we are going away on holiday tomorrow afternoon for 8 days (flying to Jersey UK - the dogs are staying behind with our petsitter) so this timing is just absolutely perfect. :roll:

Hopefully we can sort it out ASAP once we get back and see what can be arranged in the meantime. Obviously she wouldn't be able to be hip scored until after the puppies are born (if a mating does take place and she does get pregnant) but I would definitely get her hip scored ASAP once the puppies are born so that the results are back before they go to their new homes, which would potentially influence their paperwork (though I expect Vala will have a good hip score as both Vega and Sampo are FCI A). This is just so inconvenient though - and so unbelievably typical - of dog breeding. Grrrrrr. I have all the luck...
Hawthorne wrote:Are you expecting anyone else to come into heat now, perhaps Vala is aligning with them (dormitory effect)?
I was expecting Vega to be in heat during the spring but it looked like she skipped her cycle (in sync with Vixen's autumn cycle instead of the other way around) so I expect Vixen and Vega will be in heat during September/October - unless Vala's cycle triggers them all to start now. Ugh our poor petsitter is really going to have to keep a careful eye on the dogs while we are away next week. :oops:

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Only more info on how Vala is doing now?
I'm glad that you have at least found out about the side-effects of the alizin, even though it was too late by then but knowledge is power

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Good luck Debby. The hip scores, etc. can be sorted out after the fact. I would obviously ask the vet how soon that could be done, however, as I bet you wouldn't want to do it too soon after her pregnancy. I would bet that like a heat cycle, pregnancy hormones will affect joint laxity. Perhaps her hips shouldn't be xrayed until mid way between this cycle and her next?
Hope you're having a relaxing time on your trip, despite all the complexities at home.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:21 pm

Thank you :)
Yes, that is a very good point... though I would like to get her hip scored ASAP. We arrive back in Zagreb tomorrow afternoon, but it seems unlikely that we'll be able to organize a stud dog for this heat cycle, which is a shame - we will probably just have to cross our fingers for now and hope that she won't get pyometra again... :?

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:56 am

And if you use AI?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:37 am

Well, as it will be her first mating, I would much prefer it to be natural (to be sure she can mate and conceive naturally). Anyway, we got back to Zagreb yesterday and I discovered that she is still bleeding (dark) blood, which means she is probably not yet ready to be mated - despite today being around Day 11 of her heat. Yesterday was Sunday and today is a public holiday so I couldn't take her to the vet to have her progesterone levels tested but I will try to go first thing tomorrow morning and see what the blood test results say. I am guessing she still has a few more days to go until she will be ready to mate. If the progesterone results confirm that it is still early in her heat cycle (and she hasn't yet ovulated) then there is a chance we could still breed her as it gives us more time to make the necessary arrangements with a nearby stud dog.

Next year I hope to breed her with Magu - with either AI or natural mating - whatever is most convenient :)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Oh joy... Vixen and Vega are now also in heat... looks like Vala triggered their cycles >.<

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Do their temperaments change when in heat? Do you have to separate them, or are they still fine together?
Image Image

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Sylvaen wrote:Oh joy... Vixen and Vega are now also in heat... looks like Vala triggered their cycles >.<
At least you'll get it all over with at once. I feel so badly for Darwin as our two cycle at different times. Torture 4x per year instead of twice.

Our girls, at least, are fine together when they are in heat. But they are mother-daughter.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Kylievr wrote:Do their temperaments change when in heat? Do you have to separate them, or are they still fine together?
Nope, if anything they get more loving and cuddly... they all get along great together and I've never had any issues with the girls fighting each other or anything like that (and this is even despite the super high temperature right now: +35-39 C everyday). I would expect them to get a bit cranky because it is just soooo hot, not to mention 3 generations are in heat right now (Vixen, Vega and Vala) but they are all very sweet with one another. Only Zora is a bit neurotic these days (lots of energy, and bouncing around) but she is also the only girl not (yet?) in heat at the moment. :lol:
Hawthorne wrote:
Sylvaen wrote:Oh joy... Vixen and Vega are now also in heat... looks like Vala triggered their cycles >.<
At least you'll get it all over with at once. I feel so badly for Darwin as our two cycle at different times. Torture 4x per year instead of twice.
Yeah, except for Zora... hehe...
Hawthorne wrote:Our girls, at least, are fine together when they are in heat. But they are mother-daughter.
Yep, we have no problems with our girls - all 5 of our Tams really get along great with one another... just a big, happy family. :)