how to make a dog with HD happy?

All topics pertaining to health and diseases that may affect your Tamaskan Dog, as well as treatment.
balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

how to make a dog with HD happy?

Post by balto13 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:03 pm

I know there are some tams with HD and so I was curious about peoples opinions on how to make them happy and healthy dogs. I know that hydrotherapy is supposed to help, but are there other forms of exercise that is safe for dogs with HD? My dog (not a tam) cannot take much walking, unfortunately, so I am in search of things such as stretching (doggie yoga :lol: ) and other things to help.

side note:She does get glucosamine and I would suggest it in some form for other dogs who have HD

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: how to make a dog with HD happy?

Post by Tana » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 pm

I think hidrotheraphy is a great thing plus regular exercise for building muscles who support the hips, grain-free diet, supplements with glocosamine, hondroitine, appropriate weight and sleeping on warm, comfortable place. I know people who teach their dogs a lot of tricks, which at the end looks like some doggie yoga...good workout and mental stimulation.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:12 pm

Tana wrote:I think hidrotheraphy is a great thing plus regular exercise for building muscles who support the hips, grain-free diet, supplements with glocosamine, hondroitine, appropriate weight and sleeping on warm, comfortable place. I know people who teach their dogs a lot of tricks, which at the end looks like some doggie yoga...good workout and mental stimulation.
we got our dog a really nice memory foam bed - a vet helped us pick it out. And she absolutely loves it, huge difference when she wakes up now too. She always has been on grain free diet due to her sensitive stomach so yay! Her only semi yoga trick is her "bow" which looks like the "down ward facing dog position" : 8-) :lol:

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:42 am

I heard MSM helps with achy joints and arthritis too...but my lab is not showing signs of joint problems yet (thank goodness!). Can't think of any other ways to exercise a dog with HD, sorry. :(

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:21 pm

Perna canaliculus (green-lipp mussel shell) powder supposely really helps to grease up the joints and reduce pain. I'm putting it on my dog's regular food everyday since he also got mild to mid-severe HD... you should test first if your dog can eat and digest it, I heard there are dogs who get sick from fish oil (vitamin D deficiency), the same could maybe happen with the mussle powder.

Otherwise, exercise is always good, but it has to be the right kind of exercise. You want your dog to build up muscle in the thighs, the more he has the less he puts weight and pressure on the joints themselves. Avoid anything that puts stress solely on the backhand, no jumping, preferably no walking up stairs.