TAGG PET TRACKING GPS

Everything about Tamaskan Dogs that does not fit within the other topics in this section.
Sammi58
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

TAGG PET TRACKING GPS

Post by Sammi58 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:33 am

http://www.pettracker.com/pet-gps

I read the reviews, and it seems pretty positive except for securing the clips used to hold the GPS. Its small, lightweight and good for both CATS & DOGS. Its pretty beneficial to those who have dogs who are clever escape artist. I thought maybe I should reccommend, since recently we had a missing Tam case not to long ago.

Heres a page with some reviews, because i rather look at another website besides the main website itself for reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Tagg-The-Pet-Trac ... ewpoints=1

Any thoughts?

Rhokk
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: TAGG PET TRACKING GPS

Post by Rhokk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:28 am

It's not prohibitively expensive, so if you're using it as a compliment to Recall training I'd say 'Go for it!'.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:55 am

It's not too expensive overall but coverage is limited to the US... so not much use for us here in Europe, which is a shame.
Seems like a neat product - I just wonder how well it works in reality.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:16 am

$100 per month?! I think that's very expensive. That's more than my phone and internet combined :P
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:04 am

No it's $100 to buy it then $8 a month. I guess it would be good for new puppies. My one was always escaping and wandering the neighbourhood. She rarely got out of sight when she did escape though. The problem was getting her to stay still so we could catch her!

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:16 pm

This sounds like a great idea and 8 dollars a month is not very much at all... Lunch for a day costs me that :lol:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Could have done with a GPS tracker on Saga today, she decided to disappear on our walk, probably only for 5 mins but felt like hours :roll: No where near roads or anywhere dangerous apart from some deep water and lots of geese :roll: She came back eventually looking pleased with herself, I was almost a jibbering wreck :oops:

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Thats really scary :shock: Also be aware people that when dogs are off lead and run out of sight that they can be stolen. Some
criminals lie in wait for loose dogs and when the dogs are around a bend etc they grab them and run off. It happens a lot more
than people realise....well at least here in UK it does.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:17 am

hehe if anyone tried to nab Jasper like that, I think they'd find they have a lot more than they bargained for on their hands.... he'd probably go ballistic if some stranger grabbed him out of the blue and tried to carry him off to a waiting van - they'd probably pay me to take him back! :P :lol:

Vixen is another story though, she'd just be like: "oh... we're going for a car ride? well.... ok... hope mommy won't be too mad"

And Zora...

...pretty much her usual self - a bundle of energy :P :P
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Sølve would know they were there before they knew she was there and keep away from them, at least a few feet, if they would try to grap her she would move away maybe even bark :lol:

I like the idea of GPS, but I find it to be useless in some way when thinking that maybe the collar could be lost or something..
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:41 pm

If a man tried to grab Zephyr good luck, he would probably pee on you and would defiently bark and growl. If a woman tried to pupnap him he would probably go along with it like it was a fun new trip... My dog likes the ladies :oops:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 pm

AZDehlin wrote:If a man tried to grab Zephyr good luck, he would probably pee on you and would defiently bark and growl. If a woman tried to pupnap him he would probably go along with it like it was a fun new trip... My dog likes the ladies :oops:
Join the club :lol:
>> Nino <<

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:49 pm

AZDehlin wrote:If a man tried to grab Zephyr good luck, he would probably pee on you and would defiently bark and growl. If a woman tried to pupnap him he would probably go along with it like it was a fun new trip... My dog likes the ladies :oops:
So he's a ladies' man? ;)

(so off topic...*cough*)

Back on topic, I do agree with Nino...if the collar was taken off by dog, other animal, tree branch, etc, then it's a bit useless. I had wondered at one point if there was a microchip with GPS function - that would make more sense, but imagine the possible unseen harm of implanting a functioning GPS tracker in an animal! :o

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Nino wrote:
Something about deep voices and hats :oops: Guess most of the guys I hang out with have lighter voices.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:52 pm

arianwenarie wrote: Back on topic, I do agree with Nino...if the collar was taken off by dog, other animal, tree branch, etc, then it's a bit useless. I had wondered at one point if there was a microchip with GPS function - that would make more sense, but imagine the possible unseen harm of implanting a functioning GPS tracker in an animal! :o
I actually looked into this when/before I got Sølve, as I would have thought that to the best solution.
but there is not such a thing yet.. hopefully in time we will get those.. but then we would probably have to be careful our governments didn't think they should put them into human too.. or parents into their children :lol:
>> Nino <<

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:55 pm

Nino wrote:
a good portion of the men I associate with have a lisp *cough* :lol:
>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Nino wrote:
arianwenarie wrote: Back on topic, I do agree with Nino...if the collar was taken off by dog, other animal, tree branch, etc, then it's a bit useless. I had wondered at one point if there was a microchip with GPS function - that would make more sense, but imagine the possible unseen harm of implanting a functioning GPS tracker in an animal! :o
I actually looked into this when/before I got Sølve, as I would have thought that to the best solution.
but there is not such a thing yet.. hopefully in time we will get those.. but then we would probably have to be careful our governments didn't think they should put them into human too.. or parents into their children :lol:
I have also looked into the idea, but did not find anything... I am sure some day they will have gps trackers as small as a grain of rice and I will consider putting one in Zephyr at that point.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 pm

just to point out that the GPS wouldn't help if the dog lost the collar Sølve pulled her head out hers today.. the first time she ever did that with that collar! (she had another which she had she enough running speed could open but this one is with another kinda collar) o.O

I had to find her.. she of cause didn't want to come and let me put the collar on her.. so I had to take her for a small walk without a leash, went to my old school where she is normally let off leash and finally got her to come (because I wanted to exit the grounds through the gate and she wanted to come with me) ..

but yeah.. GPS idea is good, if it wasn't for the fact that there is a risk of loosing the collar..
>> Nino <<

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Loosing the GPS device would be a worry another dog walker was telling of a friend who wanted a tracker. Th family got him one for Xmas, eager to try it out he put it on the dogs collar on the next walk. The dog lost it :lol: you would think you would be able track where it had called off, but I suppose I is not accurate enough if it is in long grass.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:54 pm

If I was made of money I would attach my Iphone to Zephyr and track it on my computer using a tracking app.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:12 pm

AZDehlin wrote:If I was made of money I would attach my Iphone to Zephyr and track it on my computer using a tracking app.
And Zephyr would head for the nearest pond :lol:

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:55 pm

AZDehlin wrote:If I was made of money I would attach my Iphone to Zephyr and track it on my computer using a tracking app.
I have often thought about trying to attach my iPhone to Paka's collar, turning on the video recorder and getting a "dog's eye" view of some of our outings. :P

But there is so much that can go wrong with that :x I never got the courage to try it. :?
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:33 pm

AngieH wrote:
I have often thought about trying to attach my iPhone to Paka's collar, turning on the video recorder and getting a "dog's eye" view of some of our outings. :P

But there is so much that can go wrong with that :x I never got the courage to try it. :?
GoPro camera! I've used it on snoopy (tied to to his harness) and let him hunt around in the park, you get some hilarious footage!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Katlin wrote:
AngieH wrote:

GoPro camera! I've used it on snoopy (tied to to his harness) and let him hunt around in the park, you get some hilarious footage!
AWESOME! I'm totally looking into it!
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:42 am

JulieSmith wrote:
And Zephyr would head for the nearest pond :lol:
He would too I have a acre lot that backs up to state land that is a lower land area and their are a lot of little ponds specially around this time of year.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:28 pm

I WILL DEFINITELY look for one of these when I get my pup!
Some of the dogs I've dog-sit have given me enough troubles in the past with their clever Houdini-like breakouts and I will not be taking any chances. Thanks for sharing this!