How much money do you spend on feeding your tamaskan?

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

How much money do you spend on feeding your tamaskan?

Post by JenTehLuv » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Hey there folks!

I'm pretty much a newbie here though I try to do as much research as I can so when I do own a tamaskan of my own I can be well prepared (hopefully within the next two years we will get a puppy since my fiancee and I will be getting a home of our own within this year). I've read on the pros and cons of feeding them kibble, a raw diet, or a mixture of both but no one has mentioned how much money an owner puts into feeding their dogs!

If you feed your dog raw, how much money does it cost for a weeks worth of food? Do you try and get the meats that are lower on the totem pole to avoid overspending or do you get decent/high quality meats and veggies for your pup? Speaking of veggies, how much do you feed your pup? Do you serve more meat or veggies to your dog?

If you use kibble/canned food then how much money do you spend and what brand do you like to use? I know many tamaskans need to have grain-free diets, do you take that into account or are you one of the lucky few who has a pup with a good enough digestion that they can have "regular" dog food? Do you use more wet or dry food?

Sorry for the long post, but I figure its a good thing to ask these questions BEFORE we get our puppy instead of after and risk the dogs health or our bank account lol.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: How much money do you spend on feeding your tamaskan?

Post by Katlin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Wylie gets 1lb of Chicken Full Meal by Pets go Raw in the morning and 1.5 cups of TOTW Pacific Stream Salmon Puppy in the evening.

$57.00 for 25lbs of Raw
$67.00 for 25lbs of kibble

Hope that helps you a bit. We've had to switch foods so much that I don't actually know how long bags last normally lol :roll:
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Hmmm... we have 14 dogs. So, actually dont really know how much it costs per tamaskan :lol: It is not like I can just divide the costs trough 14 as not all dogs eat the same amount. But I think they will easily cost E15-20 per tamaskan per week ( Say $14)
But as we get all our food in large amounts ( kibble and fresh meat) we get discount.
Our oldest tamaskan had some digestive problems as a pup, but grew out of it. The dont get grain free feeding right now and dont have any problems with it! But I do give high energy ( and high quality) food. Otherwise they ( and the rest) will immediately give problems.

They used to be on 100% meat, but with all the travelling we do with all the dogs, it was hard to keep such large quantities frozen and transported. So, we switched to 50-50.

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:16 pm

My 2 are on prey model raw.

We spend about $50/month on meat, usually chicken quarters. This amount rises a bit if we purchase more pork/other varieties. It really just depends on what is on sale. The girls eat about 2 lbs/day. We're fortunate to live near a restaurant supplier so we get our meat wholesale.
Additional $10/month on organ and offal. Cheap at ethnic markets.
We supplement with fish oil capsules and a multi-vitamin as well.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 pm

With our 2 Tamaskans and German Shepherd x Lab/Australian Cattle Dog mix, one 30 lb bag of Taste of the Wild "Pacific Stream Canine Formula with Smoked Salmon" costs $47.99 from Tractor Supply. Each bag usually lasts us about 2 weeks.
We don't feed raw only because my husband worries about the bacteria in it from handling the raw meats. He is super over cautious because of almost dying from getting a staph (MRSA) infection. Otherwise we would do raw.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:31 pm

I think it comes out to about $80 a month to feed a raw diet, which is mostly chicken. He gets between 2-3 pounds a day.

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:12 am

Katlin wrote:Wylie gets 1lb of Chicken Full Meal by Pets go Raw in the morning and 1.5 cups of TOTW Pacific Stream Salmon Puppy in the evening.

$57.00 for 25lbs of Raw

Hope that helps you a bit. We've had to switch foods so much that I don't actually know how long bags last normally lol :roll:
$67?! We get a 30 lb bag of the same food for $45!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:37 am

akaye531 wrote:
Katlin wrote:Wylie gets 1lb of Chicken Full Meal by Pets go Raw in the morning and 1.5 cups of TOTW Pacific Stream Salmon Puppy in the evening.

$57.00 for 25lbs of Raw

*nod* I've never seen TOTW go for more than $55 USD. lol. But for Orijen, there's a big range in price: anywhere between $65-$90. I heard it's because Champion Pet Foods doesn't allow their retailers to charge less than $65 per 13kg (28lb) bag. D:

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 am

I spend 720 HRK (96 EUR / 127 USD) per month to feed our 5 Tams with BARF (120 kilos per month in total).
The price works out to 6 HRK per kilo (.8 EUR / 1 USD).
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:47 am

arianwenarie wrote:
akaye531 wrote:

$57.00 for 25lbs of Raw

*nod* I've never seen TOTW go for more than $55 USD. lol. But for Orijen, there's a big range in price: anywhere between $65-$90. I heard it's because Champion Pet Foods doesn't allow their retailers to charge less than $65 per 13kg (28lb) bag. D:
Hahaha welcome to Canada ;) where everything is more expensive in bigger cities.

Orijen puppy Large breed here costs $80 for a big bag. It's not that Champion has a minimum price, it's that retailers want to make over a 35% profit per bag or more. If you're paying $50 a bag as a retailer then you have to bump up prices.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:24 pm

We feed TOTW, and make our own "wet" food, cooked.
I couldn't tell you what it costs to make the wet food but we usually use 2 - 3 pounds of chicken / turkey / venison 2x per week, plus veggies.
We go through a bag of kibble per week with four dogs. Everyone gets 1 2/3 C per meal except Darwin who gets over 2C per meal. TOTW is $55 here.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

JenTehLuv
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JenTehLuv » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:23 pm

Thanks so much for the info guys!

If I plan on getting a puppy with the next year (fingers crossed) then it's a good thing to learn as much as I can. I've only had a small dog when i was growing up so this'll be my first large breed I'd ever have, as well as be the first puppy I've ever owned since we adopted ours when she was at least 1 years old. Learning about the different types of nutrition a dog should have or what types of food to look out for (plus how much it's going to cost) is very useful.

Whiltierna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Whiltierna » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Thanks for asking and posting! :D
I was wondering how much they ate, too, like cup/measurement per meal.
is it better on their bellies, training, potty, etc reasons to feed twice a day instead of once a day?
I mostly know huskies and they eat less for being a big dog, and usually once a day, and since tams aren't huskies, I need to learn that, too!

<3

Jamille
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Jamille » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:44 am

I asked the same questions before, maybe last year? For the amount of food, you should go by the guidelines of what is on the bag, and then judge if you should add more or less yourself if you need to. And it also seems like as a puppy, they're fed 3x a day and soon gets fed 2x as an adult.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:13 am

Whiltierna wrote:Thanks for asking and posting! :D
is it better on their bellies, training, potty, etc reasons to feed twice a day instead of once a day?
I mostly know huskies and they eat less for being a big dog, and usually once a day, and since tams aren't huskies, I need to learn that, too!

<3
I've never really understood the rationale behind feeding only once a day. I was taught to always feed twice a day for adults unless there are health circumstances that require more small meals split throughout the day. That, along with for some dogs, it leads to more intense resource guarding (since food is "scarce" as it's only available once per day).

AlexandraS
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AlexandraS » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:10 am

Sylvaen wrote:I spend 720 HRK (96 EUR / 127 USD) per month to feed our 5 Tams with BARF (120 kilos per month in total).

Wow Debby, I spend that for my two dogs per month (about 40 kg per month)... :shock: is BARF in croatia so cheap? In Austria you pay about € 2,50 per kilo for beef and even more for deer, lamb etc.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:14 am

cali294 wrote:
Sylvaen wrote:I spend 720 HRK (96 EUR / 127 USD) per month to feed our 5 Tams with BARF (120 kilos per month in total).

Wow Debby, I spend that for my two dogs per month (about 40 kg per month)... :shock: is BARF in croatia so cheap? In Austria you pay about € 2,50 per kilo for beef and even more for deer, lamb etc.
Yeah, we get a really good (cheap) deal and the meat (beef) comes directly from the slaughterhouse, delivered directly to our front-door... the catch is you have to order in bulk (minimum amount is 30kg). However, we have a big freezer and the 5 dogs eat a total of 3kg of BARF per day, so it is really worth it for us to buy 120kg per month or so (exactly 40 days worth of food). :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

AlexandraS
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by AlexandraS » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:44 pm

That's pretty cool...I can only dream from 0,80 cent per kilo... :lol:

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:19 pm

arianwenarie wrote:

<3
I've never really understood the rationale behind feeding only once a day. I was taught to always feed twice a day for adults unless there are health circumstances that require more small meals split throughout the day. That, along with for some dogs, it leads to more intense resource guarding (since food is "scarce" as it's only available once per day).
We primarily feed once a day, but didn't start that until the girls were over a year old. As puppies, we fed them 4-5% of their adult body weight, split into two meals/day. This was better for their metabolism, and also regulated the amount of meat they were getting at once (with raw it's easy to give too much meat at once...resulting in messy stools). Now at over a year old, we've cut them back to around 2-3% of their body weight, and splitting their meal into two would result in swallowing their food whole in about 3 seconds flat. We feed once a day to give them bigger, more complicated meals. It takes them longer to eat, and they'll actually crunch and eat the bone to get some teeth cleaning action at the same time. Plus, the harder they have to work to eat, from ripping the meat off the bone, or even working at it if we feed frozen, the more mentally worn out they are afterward as well.

They don't resource guard and eat inches away from each other--though this took a lot of training.

Whiltierna
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Whiltierna » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:02 pm

iamnic wrote:
arianwenarie wrote:

<3
We primarily feed once a day, but didn't start that until the girls were over a year old. As puppies, we fed them 4-5% of their adult body weight, split into two meals/day. This was better for their metabolism, and also regulated the amount of meat they were getting at once (with raw it's easy to give too much meat at once...resulting in messy stools). Now at over a year old, we've cut them back to around 2-3% of their body weight, and splitting their meal into two would result in swallowing their food whole in about 3 seconds flat. We feed once a day to give them bigger, more complicated meals. It takes them longer to eat, and they'll actually crunch and eat the bone to get some teeth cleaning action at the same time. Plus, the harder they have to work to eat, from ripping the meat off the bone, or even working at it if we feed frozen, the more mentally worn out they are afterward as well.

They don't resource guard and eat inches away from each other--though this took a lot of training.

Thank you!
My husband's pug/lab he had growing up would be fed once a day, but she would eat it throughout the day, taking up to 12 hours to finish it all! She lived to be 18.5 yrs.
This was strange to me since the other dogs I dog sat or helped train ate it all once or twice a day, pending on the dog, even getting those bowls with the indents so it took longer for the dogs to eat. http://www.brake-fast.net/

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Ugh. i have some piggies here who will eat the other dogs food if they leave it behind. My dogs eat close to one another, too--no resource guarding--but if someone abandons their meal to go lay on the couch the vultures swoop in and eat the rest. LOL
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Thessa
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Thessa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:06 pm

We don't have a Tamaskan but Shanti (29kg) is the same size. She eats 5kg raw food per week and that costs us about 8 euro (10,60 USD).
She eats beef, chicken, goose, lamb, rabbit, deer, turkey, duck, salmon and veggies.

We feed once a day because than the RMB can be bigger.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:50 am

I've just ordered my monthly supply and it cost me about £70 including trreats (beef chunks, chicken chunks, stuffed hooves, necks etc)...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein