Puppy - When to reduce number of feedings per day

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
freshbake
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Puppy - When to reduce number of feedings per day

Post by freshbake » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:34 pm

Good morning everybody,

Our little Zoey has just turned 7 months old a few days ago, and I've been wondering when is an appropriate time to stop feeding her 3 times per day and start moving towards 2 feedings per day. We feed her a little over 3 cups of Orijen per day, and she eats it up like a vacuum cleaner. I've been giving her the amount suggested from the Orijen bag, but I think she needs a bit more.

I just wanted to see what you all recommend at this age. She's 7 months and probably about 60lbs or so (she's a big girl for her age.)

Thanks!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Puppy - When to reduce number of feedings per day

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:11 pm

You can normally transition down from 3 meals per day (to 2 meals per day) during the period between 6-9 months old... but it really depends on the individual dog and what works best for you. I used to feed Orijen and the important thing to keep in mind is not just age / size / weight, but also activity level... if she is very active and has a lot of energy, she will need more food (compared to, for instance, a labrador puppy of the same age / size / weight, which might be more of a couch potato and has more of a tendency to gain weight easily, unlike the Tamaskan). At her age though, it's better to keep her on the slightly lean side but if you think she needs a bit more food then you'll just have to experiment a little to find the correct amount that works for you (and for her). :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:57 pm

I also feed Pepper Orijen. She is almost 6 months and started cutting down to 2 meals a day a couple of weeks ago by herself. I would put the food down 3 times a day but she would skip one and then eat it when it was time for the next meal so now we feed twice a day.

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:03 am

Pepper eats 3 half cups a day but is a lot smaller than your girl (44lbs) and still looks super skinny haha

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:23 am

Wylie has never gotten three meals. Why? Because he wouldn't eat it. He wouldn't touch any brand of food and would walk away. I still have a LOT of trouble getting him to eat. Since money is a bit tight I've taken him off 50/50 raw kibble and back on to 100 kibble. He's not happy lol! I feed him Orijen Lg breed puppy and he likes it better than TOTW, but it's still a huge effort to get him to eat. I'd say he gets about 3 cups a day if that, he's 73lbs and 11 months.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

freshbake
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by freshbake » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys! Yeah I definitely will not be able to let her transition from 3 to 2 servings per day on her own. She goes nuts when I ask her "are you hungry?". Runs over to her bowl and waits for me, and while I'm scooping the food, drool is literally dripping from her mouth. Haha! I'll keep her on 3 cups per day for now, but I think I'm going to start to transition her to 2 servings.

freshbake
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by freshbake » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Katlin wrote:Wylie has never gotten three meals. Why? Because he wouldn't eat it. He wouldn't touch any brand of food and would walk away. I still have a LOT of trouble getting him to eat. Since money is a bit tight I've taken him off 50/50 raw kibble and back on to 100 kibble. He's not happy lol! I feed him Orijen Lg breed puppy and he likes it better than TOTW, but it's still a huge effort to get him to eat. I'd say he gets about 3 cups a day if that, he's 73lbs and 11 months.
Funny you say that, because we initially started Zoey out on TOTW and she ate it..but then she started eating only some of her bowl and leaving the rest. Eventually, she wouldn't even want it at all. It also made her poo's somewhat runny. We decided to try out another brand, and went with Orijen (since most people on here have good luck with it), and she went ballistic when we fed it to her. Hasn't stopped inhaling it since.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:33 am

Kona's definitely a TOTW pup, at 7 months (two days ago) he's 70lbs and 24 inches at the shoulder. The vet's pleased because he's on the lean side (believe it or not)

His daily diet is 4-7 cups of kibble, 1 full can of wet food, and 1/4 pound of ground meat (either chicken or hamburger), supplemented either by some yogurt or an egg every couple of days. He's a very variable eater, when he's had a good long run he scarfs it down like there's no tomorrow, but when we have to slow down (for example due to bad weather or travel) he self-limits to a fraction of his "normal?" intake. aoru

He used to scarf down his midday meal, (he's not a "morning dog" by any means!) Left to his own devices, it's become get up and go outside at around 08:00, a short walk, and then back to nap and breakfast about 11:00, followed by longer walk at 13:00. Then a very light eating at around 14:00, some play and another nap, then off to his principal walk or park run between about 17:00 and 19:00. Home about 19:30 and dinner (his big meal) between 20:00 and 20:30 - maybe a short walk after 21:30 or so (optional) and off to sleep at about 22:30.

Not what I remembered from previous dogs, but it works for him and our vet is happy, so ........
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:16 am

I fed three meals a day up until Zephyr was about six months old. Now Zephyr eats two to four cups of TOTW a day he has gotten pickier the older he gets. Only days he eats everything are days where I do a long run on the sled or four wheeler with him.

And Mark, Kona's daddy Zephyr is the same way he will sleep until 10am everyday then probably won't touch his food until 11:00 -12:00.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:02 am

AZDehlin wrote:He will sleep until 10am everyday then probably won't touch his food until 11:00 -12:00.
Sounds like my guy. So long as he can pee at 6am he'll go back to bed for hours.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:41 am

Well, at least I know "where he gets it" It's such a joy knowing (even indirectly) !
Thank you.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:41 pm

We switched Mowgli down to two feedings at the same time we switched over to adult formula. We're feeding him the appropriate amount based on the his age and weight, but he has lost a few pounds in the past few months. He's also not as interested in his food anymore. I think we'll try switching flavors (he's on TOTW High Prairie) and see if that helps. Seeing as he's still a pup (just a year), my feeling is that he should still be growing a bit. He looks healthy, but definitely on the thin side. Any suggestions on what to do, or is this normal?