Fish Oil & Vitamin E deficiency...

All topics pertaining to the diet of your Tamaskan Dog (raw food vs. kibble, supplements, etc).
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Fish Oil & Vitamin E deficiency...

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Very interesting and informative article!
http://www.holisticandorganixpetshoppe. ... h-oil.html
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Aislinn2204
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Fish Oil & Vitamin E deficiency...

Post by Aislinn2204 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:33 am

Hi Debby,

thank you for the article. It is very interesting.

But, I do not understand people who give their dogs over many years dietary supplements.
Normally, the dog gets enough minerals and vitamins over the food.
I would use food supplement means only for a short period.
1-2 months and then 6 months nothing.

Vitamin E is found in several plant oils, vegetables and fruits.
I do not know the exact circumstances, but if the dog food is homemade, important ingredients can possibly be forgotten.

I feed Cody with raw food and dry food. I searched a long time for the right dry food. I have decided for "real nature", because this
food is cold pressed, has a good calcium-phosphorus ratio and the best composition (several plant oils, vegetables, meat, fish...).
For more Information about "real nature" (german) http://www.fressnapf.de/shop/real-natur ... -angus-s-m

many greetings
Marko

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Hey Marko :)

No problem, and I agree with you - I think dietary supplements can be useful when used for the right reasons and only when necessary (not full-time). For instance, many people think that puppies need extra calcium supplements while they are growing, when they actually receive all the calcium they need in their regular diet. Additional calcium actually does far more harm than good, because it causes calcium buildup around the pup's joints.

The only time I ever really supplement our dogs' food is when they are sick, or pregnant / lactating, and then they get olive oil or coconut oil mixed in with their food as well as folic acid pills and daily vitamin tablets; of course, during pregnancy, it is very important to limit calcium intake, as well as Vitamin A!
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:19 pm

I'm feeding Monobi canned wet food, the name is Rinti. It's good quality and makes his fur shiny and soft. I used to feed BARF before but since we moved and thus have lost my supplier I went back to canned food.

Additionally I add a teaspoon of salmon oil and half a teaspoon of perna mussle powder (which supposely is good for joints; he's got mild HD and mid-severe HD). I don't know if it helps, but it certainly can't hurt (if you dog does not have Vitamin E deficiency, that is)

Generally I would agree to rather feed high quality food instead of supplementing bad food with fish oil and vitamins.

kcyin1569
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kcyin1569 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:34 pm

I just started adding salmon and coconut oil to my dogs food and I already see a positive difference. My poodle, who has somewhat runny eyes, aren't as watery. My terrier mix, who has lyme disease and thus has achy elbow, has completely stopped licking and chewing them. Both of their eyes are bright and their noses are nice and wet and cold (in a good way). As their coat grows out, I can see the super shiny coat growing in, and neither of them have dry/itchy skin anymore. It's really cool to watch!
When the wolves cry
to the Blue Corn Moon,
When they howl at
the passing of mountains,
When their gold eyes
pierce your mind and soul,
When you become one
with the wolf within,
then I will love you.

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:09 pm

As someone elsewhere said, "you can overdose on anything".
Imo, unless there is a medical reason, I find supplements to be unnecessary, for dogs and humans.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: perna mussle powder; I do not know wether it makes Monobi better (given that he has low and mid HD), but I had to deal with hip pains recently and since I started taking perna mussle powder myself, the pain vanished.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:14 pm

Tatzel wrote:Re: perna mussle powder; I do not know wether it makes Monobi better (given that he has low and mid HD), but I had to deal with hip pains recently and since I started taking perna mussle powder myself, the pain vanished.
Do you know if his sister who was separated from him at an early age also has these issues, too?

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:24 pm

Tiantai wrote: Do you know if his sister who was separated from him at an early age also has these issues, too?
I do not know, and I guess Eugenia does not have the time to look at each dog individually like this, or has the money to get them all x-rayed. Unfortunately his sister also had puppies this year... again :(
They lack money left and right to get them all neutered, it's like trying to fight the moonlight...