Puppy Questions

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Puppy Questions

Post by Vroni » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 am

I want to work for a few hours. Between that I played with Jack and go for a walk with him very often.

But he wails the most of the time when I am sitting on the PC. Now he urinates every few minutes because then I came to him to the ground...

I took him into the box now... But I do not want that...

What can I do? Does anybody have an idea? :-(
Whats about your Tamaskans? Do you had the same problems?
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

Rahne

Re: Vroni, Martin and Jack

Post by Rahne » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:44 am

Vroni wrote:I want to work for a few hours. Between that I played with Jack and go for a walk with him very often.

But he wails the most of the time when I am sitting on the PC. Now he urinates every few minutes because then I came to him to the ground...

I took him into the box now... But I do not want that...

What can I do? Does anybody have an idea? :-(
Whats about your Tamaskans? Do you had the same problems?
Do you leave him alone when you work or is he with you in the same room? A lot of Tamaskans have trouble with staying alone, in the beginning you should slowly build it up so only leave him alone for a minute and then come back. How often do you take him outside? When Konah was a pup I had to take her outside once every hour and also after playing, eating, sleeping.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Vroni, Martin and Jack

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:09 pm

Puppies pee all the time, as they get older they can hold it for a bit longer but for now he will need to go outside a LOT. When they are young, they don't like being left alone (unless they have a companion: another dog / cat / etc) because they are just like a human child - easily bored. So it's important to keep him with you and take him out a lot. That's why, when I got Jasper as a puppy, I made sure I had NO work to do for 2 weeks - that way I could focus on him 100% (just like a new baby). As Rahne said, over time you can build up the period that he is left alone... starting out for 1 minute, then 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, over the course of a few weeks (gradual transition). But you can't just put him in his box now and ignore him for hours while you work, he is still too young. These weeks are very important for human interaction, seeing new things, meeting new people / dogs, etc. Plus, he is in a strange environment away from his family so he probably misses them a lot too - more interaction (to make him feel safe, secure and loved) is the key.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Puppy Questions

Post by Vroni » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:33 pm

Maybe I expressed myself wrong ...
He is not alone! This is a Nogo for me!
And I do not work for hours, but worked today morning for about 2 hours with breaks for Jack of course. For the most time I have free, but there is so much work so I work a little bit from home.
My boyfriend works at night and at the moment he is the dogsitter while I'm in the office for about 2 hours.

Of course I go out with him very often. But he whines and pees every 5 minutes when I'm sitting in front of the PC ...
I've always played with him but he would not sleep unless I'm with him on the floor...
As soon as I turn my attention to the PC he go crazy...

I will practice that now specifically so that he learns that he can not have 24-hour attention from me.

I do not want to take him into the box for hours! It was intended only for the first nights.

Hope you understand me better now. I know he is a baby and that it is not easy for him but to pee every 5 Minutes is not normal and I am sure it is a trick. When he have got our attention he pees not so extremly often.

He is very inteligent! :-D
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Does he have toys that he can play with? Bones for him to chew and maybe a Kong? It does look like he wants attention so just ignore him but make sure he has something to do for himself so he doesn't get bored. If you give him attention make sure he doesn't whine so only give him attention when he's quite. If you ignore him he will learn that his whining and peeing doesn't help so he will stop eventually.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:43 pm

I understand a bit better...
Vroni wrote:I do not want to take him into the box for hours! It was intended only for the first nights.
I always had Jasper with me for the first nights, until he felt comfortable in his new home. Otherwise he would cry all night from being sad and lonely. Once he was a bit older, HE decided he didn't want to sleep in the same room anymore - he got more independent. But that was his decision, when he was ready.
Vroni wrote:I know he is a baby and that it is not easy for him but to pee every 5 Minutes is not normal and I am sure it is a trick. When he have got our attention he pees not so extremly often.
Jasper peed all the time as a puppy, literally every few minutes. At least for the first few days. Then, after that, he could wait until 30 minutes and by 3 months old, about 1 hour. When I had Vixen's 5 puppies, they were also peeing all the time - constantly. And with 5 of them you are forever cleaning up puppy pee! :D

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:16 pm

I had slept with Sølve in my bed for the first 4 or 5 days, then put her into the crate and slept just besides to it for some days too, then moved a little more away and then Back into my own bed now she sleeps in the crate with a blanket over it (like a little cave) in my bedroom..

I think when I first got her used to be by herself in there she was more okay not getting attention all the time..

hmm.. she pees a lot, but normally not every 5 minutes.. but she does get used to places very quick, which is probably because I take her around with me all the time.. ;)
>> Nino <<

SilverGhost
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by SilverGhost » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:08 pm

did you already visit the vet?
I 'm just asking because it maybe could be a cystitis...
if there are no organic indications for his peeing,
then I think that he just wants to catch your attention with whining and peeing..;) very smart...little jack:)

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:43 pm

Antaris79 wrote:did you already visit the vet?
I 'm just asking because it maybe could be a cystitis...
Good point. Jasper did pee a lot when I first got him and I figured it might be cystitis so I gave him some Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice, which he drank happily and, after that, it seemed to clear up because he peed much less frequently. :)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:54 pm

Nino wrote:I had slept with Sølve in my bed for the first 4 or 5 days, then put her into the crate and slept just besides to it for some days too, then moved a little more away and then Back into my own bed now she sleeps in the crate with a blanket over it (like a little cave) in my bedroom..

I think when I first got her used to be by herself in there she was more okay not getting attention all the time..
I slept downstairs on the floor with Thor for the first few nights, he hated his crate so now has the freedom of the kitchen and back room and he is fine being left now.

Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Vroni » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:38 am

I thank you very much for your answers!
I have got great news!!! This night was much better!
He wines only a little bit and now I am sitting in front of the PC and he is playing for himself without wining and peeing. :-)
He is a very good dog!! I am so happy!
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:34 pm

I'm glad to hear that he is doing better today! :)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Glad to her things are better, I am sure they will carry on getting better as well. Enjoy your little bundle of fun.

Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Vroni » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:32 am

It is getting better day by day and also night by night!

At night we go out every two hours and it works very well. He cries only a little bit or not.

And at the day he play with himself if we ignore him for a short time or he sleeps.

He is a very good and intelligent dog!! :-)
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:22 am

I work four days a week talking to clients on a head set while documenting on a computer. I do, however work from home and have control over my appointment schedule and break times.

I thought I should plan 15 min puppy breaks for our girl every 2 hours during a work day along with a walk at lunch time. My husband works outside the home so "homecomming" will also be a special time with daddy.

What additional recommendations do you have for helping a puppy feel happy and secure during my work days?
(I like this job. Where else can I work from home, only 4 days a week, and stil make enough money to buy Orijen LOL! )

Thanks
Angie
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin