Carsickness

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Car-a-phobia

Post by skyedream » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:12 pm

I got Maya a thundershirt two days ago when we had to travel to the vet by bus. It's supposed to calm dogs by applying a light pressure. She gets very stressed out when traveling and I think the shirt made a difference. It is hard to tell as she was still a bit stressed but I think she was a little calmer. I'm going to try taking her on buses once a week with the shirt on until the six week trial period ends and then I'll see if it's made enough of a difference to keep it!

So if you got the thundershirt you would need to put it on nice and snuggly then use the food bowl closer and closer to car training method. Umm... good luck!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:28 am

hmmm, wonder if everything all at once would be OTT? :lol: wellll, off to boots tomorrow for Rescue remedy... may as well start local... considering it for my driving test when it comes to it :D

plan B i think is My Peaceful Paws with a thunder shirt...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:15 pm

TerriHolt wrote:hmmm, wonder if everything all at once would be OTT? :lol: wellll, off to boots tomorrow for Rescue remedy... may as well start local... considering it for my driving test when it comes to it :D

plan B i think is My Peaceful Paws with a thunder shirt...
:lol: :lol: probably, but most of the suggestion are very similar use lots of treats and take it slow, so you could try different suggestions to see what works. Just be prepared for lots of sick once you start moving :cry:

I would recommend anyone with a puppy that is not keen on the car, while they are still small enough to pick up, put them in the car every day go to the park even if it is round the corner have a nice walk then home. Even if you have to clean sick up each time eventually they get used to it and realise car = nice walk. Unless that makes them very ill, like one of the other pups on here.

Good luck with Sam.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:10 pm

JulieSmith wrote:I would recommend anyone with a puppy that is not keen on the car, while they are still small enough to pick up, put them in the car every day go to the park even if it is round the corner have a nice walk then home. Even if you have to clean sick up each time eventually they get used to it and realise car = nice walk. Unless that makes them very ill, like one of the other pups on here.
we was doing but he got too big to pick up :lol: and he did stop been sick, just laid there looking queasy and drooling...

got some Rescue remedy today so we start tomorrow... :D

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:28 pm

TerriHolt wrote:
JulieSmith wrote:I would recommend anyone with a puppy that is not keen on the car, while they are still small enough to pick up, put them in the car every day go to the park even if it is round the corner have a nice walk then home. Even if you have to clean sick up each time eventually they get used to it and realise car = nice walk. Unless that makes them very ill, like one of the other pups on here.
we was doing but he got too big to pick up :lol: and he did stop been sick, just laid there looking queasy and drooling...

got some Rescue remedy today so we start tomorrow... :D
It does not take them long to get too big to pick up :roll: I think that for me it also helped that my other dog hops in the car without a problem so Saga just copied her after a bit even though she hated it.

With lots of treats and patience you will teach him the car is not that scary. Good luck

PawPrint
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Car anxiety...

Post by PawPrint » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:26 pm

Hi everyone,
Bear is 9 weeks old this weekend and has settled well into his new home. :D

We live just up the road from a primary school so he has met lots of mums with prams and small children, who he has also seen running around, or riding down the pavement on scooters and bikes. He has also met cats, horses and strangers of all shapes and sizes and attended his first puppy socializing class last Thursday. We are very proud of the way he handles new experiences so far.

However, Bear gets really anxious on car rides. :? We started off with him on laps in the passenger’s seat and he howled and howled and cried and drooled A LOT. Then he would start trying to climb into the back of the car and accidently scratch people with his claws. We tried him on laps in the back of the car and there was not much improvement. He now rides in his crate in the car boot now and though he doesn’t thrash around he is still VERY noisy, drooly and anxious :( . He does seem to tire himself out after a while and sleep (then wake up and howl some more :roll: ). We reward him and tell him he is good when he is quiet and ignore him when he is noisy... We have also been feeding him some meals in the car and trying to keep journeys positive and fun. Even though he can’t go on the floor yet when we take him he genuinely seems to like being carried and seeing new places but I don't think he associates it with getting in the car.

It won’t be long till he will be too big to pick up and put in the car then could we have a problem?... Is there anything else we can do to stop him howling and getting so anxious in the car? I’ve read that lots of Tams have problems with cars...Is there anything people have found works. :?: I have heard some good things about the Thundershirt but he is still growing so it may be a bit of a waste getting one at this stage....

Sally
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Sally » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi there, what is Bears D.O.B? I have his sister but dont know exactly how old she is yet.
Can't offer too much advice yet, because obviously mine is the same age.
I would say that it is very important that he goes in the car every day, even if it is only to the end of the street, or even when the car is parked, just sit with him inside it and offer treats when he is calm.
Sorry I can't offer more, but I guess the more he gets used to it when he is little, the more likely that he will outgrow it
Good luck :)

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:45 pm

make him get in the car himself, offcourse support/help him when he is still so young. Put his front feet in the car and let him "walk" in by himself while you support his back legs. It will give him some more confidence then when you just put him in there.

Ravi doesn't like the car and probably never will but he does jump in by himself and the drooling stopped after a while. Now he just goes to sleep or stare out the window

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Zephyr has loved the car from the begining. He sits in the back seat in his own doggy seat belt and likes to have the window open so he can feel the breeze. I would say take him in the car as often as possible and treat him when he stops squeaking. Zephyr knows he is going some where fun when we get in the car so it hasnt become a struggle.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:25 pm

Go out in the car every day just for very short trips, even if it is just round the block. We found DAP spray helped a bit, but Saga still drooled horribly until recently. She never howled, but used to throw up on every trip. Once you can put your puppy down take him in the car to where you want to walk him even if it is within walking distance, that way eventually he will associate the car with something nice.

I suppose it is not surprising that they do not like cars, the first time they go in one its to the vets to be prodded and poked, then its to be taken away from mum and everything they know to go to a new home.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:53 pm

JulieSmith wrote:I suppose it is not surprising that they do not like cars, the first time they go in one its to the vets to be prodded and poked, then its to be taken away from mum and everything they know to go to a new home.
that thought has actually crossed my mind...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 pm

At the airport the other week when I was sending the pups abroad I used the DAP spray inside the crates before puppies were put in.
There was one particular anxious puppy who wasnt happy at all so we gave an extra spray of DAP and waited for a while. I was worried about this puppy as it is alway a bad time for not only the puppies but especially for me seeing them off in their own crates
having left mum and their siblings :cry: I am only allowed to stay with them until the officials come and take them away for xray and loading so when that happens I then make my way home. Imagine my horror when half way home (which is a 4 hour drive away)
I was told that this particular puppy had kicked up so much fuss and had chewed through its water bowls and hose and had been
taken off the flight as they wouldnt allow it to fly without water bowls! Poor puppy had then been shipped off to the local kennels
to try again early hours next morning. I worried all night about this poor puppy. If only it had known that if it had stayed calm it
would have been before long in its new home. The poor thing had to go through the same performance all over again the next morning but thankfully it stayed calm. This was the first time ever anything like this had happened to me in all the years of exporting and I hope it dosnt happen again :D So do you think that the DAP spray is really any good. The guy at the airport made me laugh
because he said that everytime he gets a sniff of it he has to go to the toilet and he has found that mostly puppies when their crates
are sprayed with DAP they too poo soon after. He said it didnt happen so much with adult dogs though... makes you think eh :lol:

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Blustag wrote:At the airport the other week when I was sending the pups abroad I used the DAP spray inside the crates before puppies were put in.
There was one particular anxious puppy who wasnt happy at all so we gave an extra spray of DAP and waited for a while. I was worried about this puppy as it is alway a bad time for not only the puppies but especially for me seeing them off in their own crates
having left mum and their siblings :cry: I am only allowed to stay with them until the officials come and take them away for xray and loading so when that happens I then make my way home. Imagine my horror when half way home (which is a 4 hour drive away)
I was told that this particular puppy had kicked up so much fuss and had chewed through its water bowls and hose and had been
taken off the flight as they wouldnt allow it to fly without water bowls! Poor puppy had then been shipped off to the local kennels
to try again early hours next morning. I worried all night about this poor puppy. If only it had known that if it had stayed calm it
would have been before long in its new home. The poor thing had to go through the same performance all over again the next morning but thankfully it stayed calm. This was the first time ever anything like this had happened to me in all the years of exporting and I hope it dosnt happen again :D So do you think that the DAP spray is really any good. The guy at the airport made me laugh
because he said that everytime he gets a sniff of it he has to go to the toilet and he has found that mostly puppies when their crates
are sprayed with DAP they too poo soon after. He said it didnt happen so much with adult dogs though... makes you think eh :lol:
How odd, since DAP is the pheromone secreted by a lactating bitch. It's not detectable by humans (just the preservative is) :?
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

KRHert
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by KRHert » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:19 am

^ This was my puppy Tika that had so much trouble. Funny thing is after the first night here she hasn't made a sound when we put her in the crate at night. She goes right in and is quiet all night. She does drool in the car but she doesn't seem too stressed other than that. I think having our Labrador around really helps her stay calm though. She even fell asleep at the vets lol.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:44 pm

KRHert wrote:^ This was my puppy Tika that had so much trouble. Funny thing is after the first night here she hasn't made a sound when we put her in the crate at night. She goes right in and is quiet all night. She does drool in the car but she doesn't seem too stressed other than that. I think having our Labrador around really helps her stay calm though. She even fell asleep at the vets lol.

Mona Lisa was the same way when I got her, she too got held back at the airport and was sent to the local kennel for a day. She was held back though because Chicago's tarmak was too hot :? So of course Lynn and I were worried about her, but after she flew out about a day later and made it home with me, she was just fine :D She didn't seem stressed at all, she just wanted to play and explore :D

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Just shows how adaptable they are eh ;)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:15 pm

I had very little problems with getting my previous dogs in and out of the car but they all sat still while the vehicles were moving. The ONLY Tran family dog who was a problematic car-phobe to me was my granduncle's pug, Boxer, who kept on jumping around even before my dad started the car (we were on our way to a beach) and he even one time panicked and honked the horns accidentally :lol:
Ironically pugs are not supposed to be all that hyper like my gramp's Alusky but Boxer scared the hell out of everyone. Eversince then, I always made sure that he had walked and burnt out most of his energy before carrying him into the car for a small trip since I don't have a crate for him. But he's a lot better now though I've not been able to find the time to meet my granduncle lately nor carried him for a car ride for a very long time now. Funny enough, the other more cooperative dogs (Buddy included) knew exactly how to unlock and open the doors in all of the vehicle they've rode in as well the ones with child-safety in my parent's Toyota van (Sienna 2005) but Boxer is just "omigosh what do I do what do I do" and even now still hasn't learnt how to open an unlocked vehicle door as far as I know.

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Mon May 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Old thread I know but was just wondering how you got on Terri?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon May 28, 2012 6:57 pm

No success with going in the car :( He even went off food because i tried feeding him near it... But... I will not give in! He will go on car rides and he will like it if it's the last thing i do! :lol: We have made progress brisk walking pas it tho... just working on walking slower :mrgreen:

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Mon May 28, 2012 7:13 pm

TerriHolt wrote:No success with going in the car :( He even went off food because i tried feeding him near it... But... I will not give in! He will go on car rides and he will like it if it's the last thing i do! :lol: We have made progress brisk walking pas it tho... just working on walking slower :mrgreen:
:D Ayden is getting better. In my car he is only sick maybe 1 out of 3 journeys, and slight drooling, but he is sick every time he gets in the Doggy Day care car and looks like a Rabbid animal at the end of the journey there is soooo much Droool. Spoke to the Vet about it today and I'm picking up a DAP collar tomorrow to see if its a stress thing, and will be trying him on calmex as well. Its not a long term solution but just keeps them calm enough to realise its not as scary, then after a couple of months start to wean them off (apparantly :-) )
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon May 28, 2012 7:14 pm

TerriHolt wrote:No success with going in the car :( He even went off food because i tried feeding him near it... But... I will not give in! He will go on car rides and he will like it if it's the last thing i do! :lol: We have made progress brisk walking pas it tho... just working on walking slower :mrgreen:
Have you tried Ginger oil? A couple drops on his collar or on a bandanna around his neck may help. If you need to apply it directly on him (chest or neck), then get some Safflower Oil and dilute it 50/50 (2 drops ginger oil and 2 drops ginger oil mixed, then gently rub it on him).

^-- got that info from the friend who makes My Peaceful Paws. ;)

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Mon May 28, 2012 7:20 pm

arianwenarie wrote: Have you tried Ginger oil? A couple drops on his collar or on a bandanna around his neck may help. If you need to apply it directly on him (chest or neck), then get some Safflower Oil and dilute it 50/50 (2 drops ginger oil and 2 drops ginger oil mixed, then gently rub it on him).
You missed out the eye of newt and tail of dog ;)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Mon May 28, 2012 7:21 pm

nivenj wrote:
arianwenarie wrote: Have you tried Ginger oil? A couple drops on his collar or on a bandanna around his neck may help. If you need to apply it directly on him (chest or neck), then get some Safflower Oil and dilute it 50/50 (2 drops ginger oil and 2 drops ginger oil mixed, then gently rub it on him).
LOL. I figure ginger oil might be a better alternative to ginger pills if the dog gets an upset tummy. I'm not sure what effects eye of newt and tail of dog will have... it will be interesting to find out. ;)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon May 28, 2012 7:50 pm

nivenj wrote:
:lol:

:|

Will those calm him enough to help with getting him in the car? I have problems lifting 42kg of dog that squirms and fights....

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon May 28, 2012 8:28 pm

I think amaxophobia is more common in exotic animals like the high-content wolfdogs than in the domestic dogs though. I've only ever had one problem with a pug but all of the other dogs I've looked after were fine

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon May 28, 2012 10:22 pm

That isn't necessarily true... Any animal can become fearful of anything...

Sam associates feeling sick, groggy and generally bad with going in the car and to be honest... i would also avoid car rides like the plague if i thought i was going to feel like that...

But as he starts drooling before the car's engine is even turned on (the last time i got him in when he was small enough to lift), i'm not entirely sure it's all down to motion sickness anymore but a combo of motion sickness and mostly anxiety of the motion sickness that is to come.

I think that if i can find some way to get him in the car, the use of the calming effects mentioned before could help greatly... Leaves me wondering if the calming effects would help relax him enough to get him in or maybe a mild sedation (last resort) as a temp measure used with the calming items and treats until he realizes it's not all bad...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue May 29, 2012 11:55 am

Saga used to be terrible in the car, but I have never had any problem getting her in I think having another dog who was happy in the car helped. I would recommend if you can get them in the car take them a very short trip to somewhere nice like the park every day. You may need a new car after to get rid of the smell of sick :lol: I also used DAP spray. I have also now put a dog bed in the boot and that seems to help. We can now do longish trips with no drool so I am hoping we will be fine this year going to Devon camping.

Terri try getting Sam to feed near the car again. First find the distance he is ok with then every few days move the bowl a tiny bit closer. If he does not eat move it back one place and wait a few more days before going closer. Once he isnear the car feed him with the doors open, when he is happy with that feed him out of the car but you sit in it where you want him to go, totally ignore him, if he comes to see what you are doing give him praise and a treat.

I have just thought of a different idea. Have you tried clicker training? Do the basic click treat then when he has got that when he looks at you click and throw the treat on the ground as soon as Sam looks at you again click and drop the treat somewhere else keep doing that unroll every time he had had a treat he is looking at you. Only do it for a few mins at a time. Once he s happy with that game do it at a distance from the car he is ok with. Next time a bit closer another time as you walk past but throw the treats away from the car, gradually get him nearer the car, ignore the car. If he gets anxious near the car just move away again. Make as little fuss near the car only praise or make any fuss if he is calm near the car, if you give him any attention when he is anxious near the car you are only reenforcing his idea that there is something to be worried about.

Whoops sorry that was a bit long especially for my phone :roll: hope my ideas help

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue May 29, 2012 12:58 pm

That was actually pretty good off your phone, i usually have countless typo's (formally known as auto-corrects) :lol:

I'm looking to get a DAP collar and going to go back with the feeding... We was going great, starting at the door, moving closer and actually got to the car (altho, still a long way off going in it... i was really happy with him and he touched it with his nose).

Note the slack leash near the car :mrgreen:

Then we moved house.

We no longer have the comfort of the drive way and he has issue's with eating food on the street (unless on walkies and it's cheesy bite training treats which don't work with the car)...
There are the odd cars moving around and we can hear traffic from the busy road a few streets away (i think hearing the cars but not seeing them confuses him). So i'm hoping that a DAP will ease some of the un-comfort (not really scared, just uncomfortable) he is feeling... Because it is an unfamiliar area to him with new smells, sounds, and more dogs, i think we need to deal with getting familiar with it...

I really wish i'd have tried calming items like DAP collars and the likes while he was smaller but he didn't get so problematic with it until he was too heavy for me to lift... I mean, he never actually liked it but the resistance came as he got bigger.. The next time i may just use it anyway for the 1st few month even if there is no problems...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue May 29, 2012 2:30 pm

Try out the My Peaceful Paws if the DAP doesn't work. From a trainer at the boarding kennel I used to work at, they had used both DAP collars and wipes on their high-frustration/anxiety dogs in their classes. When the DAP products didn't work, then tried My Peaceful Paws and it helped a little more; but only if the owners applied it before coming to class as it takes between 5-30 minutes to take effect.

Shame you live on the other side of the pond...or it might be easier to ship. lol. Packing glass bottles can be tricky. ;)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue May 29, 2012 2:42 pm

No drive is a problem :roll: I agree get him used to the new house as well first, can not do too much at once

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Tue May 29, 2012 5:40 pm

lexi became a pain in the car and i dont drive (problem) and o/h is away all week. he started to take her 5 mins up the road and went for a walk and has done this for a couple of months now. she went from avoiding the car and refusing to get in to absolutely loving it, she still drools a bit on longer trips but we are getting there. we used a dap collar with lexi for her s/a and we dont think it done anything but all dogs are different. you can try rescue remedy in the water or straight onto the tongue,any health food shop will sell this and again its dependent on the dog to how well it works. just keep doing little steps with plenty of treats and praise and you will get there. good luck

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed May 30, 2012 2:41 pm

We tried rescue remedy as well, I think it helped a bit.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed May 30, 2012 6:00 pm

Try the thundershirt?

Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Vroni » Thu May 31, 2012 6:08 am

Jack was also very sick when he only knows he had to go in the car. First I was thinking al lot about it and was very carefully with short drives to positive areas for him with a funny walk, other dogs or something. But nothing helped. Then I did not think too much about it anymore and take him everytime with me no matter where else. And this was the key! Now he is really good in the car without drooling, stress or something else.

So dont think a lot about it and take your puppy / dog everytime with you! No matter how long the trip will be (after one longer trip ist was so much better with Jack!) or where you want to drive.
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:50 pm

So, I have just ordered a Thundershirt and a DAP collar... Crossing finger's it will work... Would it be a bit ott if i sprayed him with rescue remedy & Ginger oil too? Don't want him that calm he won't do nothing at all when we go places :lol:

He WILL go in the car and he WILL like it!!! :lol:

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:52 pm

Wishing the best of luck!

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:22 pm

TerriHolt wrote:So, I have just ordered a Thundershirt and a DAP collar... Crossing finger's it will work... Would it be a bit ott if i sprayed him with rescue remedy & Ginger oil too? Don't want him that calm he won't do nothing at all when we go places :lol:

He WILL go in the car and he WILL like it!!! :lol:
If you're using the DAP collar, I'd probably keep the rescue remedy on hand in case you need it during your outing. Ginger oil, dilute that with Safflower oil and rub it on him. If you put it on his collar or a bandanna, it may mix with the DAP collar smells and make him wonky. XD

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:05 pm

I used to use the rescue remedy with the DAP spray. Rescue remedy does not leave them groggy, if it works the same as in people it will just take the edge off his anxiety, try some yourself to see how it makes you feel.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:09 pm

JulieSmith wrote:I used to use the rescue remedy with the DAP spray. Rescue remedy does not leave them groggy, if it works the same as in people it will just take the edge off his anxiety, try some yourself to see how it makes you feel.
You mean there's no difference between the one for pets and the one for humans? :o I was thinking the DAP and rescue remedy smells would mix and then neither would be very effective, but then I remembered you can spray the rescue remedy into the dog's mouth - can be used orally or topically. XD

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:48 pm

There might be slight differences between the people and pet rescue remedy, but not enough to really matter (IMO). It's prob just to make more money for the company
(Eg nurafen makes regular nurafen, an also different ones for migraine, period pain, back pain and tension headache. They are all exactly the same, but people will buy the smaller pack of migraine for more than what a large pk of regular nurafen costs).
Image Image

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:35 am

I, too, have a pup, so it may not help -- but I recently bought fresh chicken livers (yuck!), boiled them, then baked them in the oven for snacks. I have found that he will do just about anything for this snack ;) At obedience training a couple nights ago the owner of a rather large Golden Retriever could not get him to take any treats making it difficult to get him to do what was asked. I gave her a handful of the chicken livers and he ate them as though he had never eaten and sat up for more :roll:

Also, and I don't know if this med is available to you or not-- but Meclazine, which is a motion sickness over the counter medication for humans (in the US it's also sold as Dramamine 2 and Bonine), is what my Vet told me to use for my pup a couple hours prior to putting him in the car. She also said he could take Benadryl, an over the counter human allergy medication, which calms him and helps with his reaction to certain vaccines. For upset tummy, I can also give him Pepcid, which is also for humans with acid reflux. She says these are absolutely safe for dogs, and, I believe, the dosage for my Tam pup (now 5 months) is the same as for human adults. I can make sure about dosage if interested.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Our Tams seem to do better when they ride in the car with another dog. Darwin threw up in the car a couple of weeks ago and he hasn't done that in ages. We were on our way back from a scootering trip--so it was just him in the back seat. And the road was windy: up and down and back and forth and ... poor guy. He's fine on the highway, though. It's a 30 minute drive to doggie day care and he does great.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Hawthorne wrote:Our Tams seem to do better when they ride in the car with another dog. Darwin threw up in the car a couple of weeks ago and he hasn't done that in ages. We were on our way back from a scootering trip--so it was just him in the back seat. And the road was windy: up and down and back and forth and ... poor guy. He's fine on the highway, though. It's a 30 minute drive to doggie day care and he does great.
Are you sure its the car and that he didn't eat anything unwanted behind your back prior to the ride?

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:52 am

I wonder in a poll what % of the population of Tams gets car sick. I lucked out on this front... Zephyr has always been great in the car. He loves the car.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:54 am

Lynn said that rook always has accidents in the car, and balto drools a lot.
Image Image

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:21 am

AZDehlin wrote:I wonder in a poll what % of the population of Tams gets car sick. I lucked out on this front... Zephyr has always been great in the car. He loves the car.
Hmm, we could do a poll here on the forum to get an idea.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:46 pm

That thought is only worrying me even more considering that I always travel long distances by car and if my future Jogye and Chontae (my future Tamaskans who have yet to exist at the moment) are prone to car-sick then that'll be a problem as well. I live far from where I marathon and even farther from the dog daycare centre in downtown. Perhaps I should get them used to riding in my Toyota Sienna throughout puppyhood and they'll learn to adjust.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:43 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:
AZDehlin wrote:I wonder in a poll what % of the population of Tams gets car sick. I lucked out on this front... Zephyr has always been great in the car. He loves the car.
The only issue is how would people vote if they had multiple tamaskan.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:45 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
HiTenshi16 wrote:
The only issue is how would people vote if they had multiple tamaskan.
I could make it where they can choose more than one answer, I'm sure at least.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:40 am

Love to see a poll of this then... also maybe a poll of off lead on a scale of one to ten.