Carsickness

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Car-a-phobia

Post by arianwenarie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:56 pm

AZDehlin wrote:The doggy ice cream I get is called Frosty Paws, I think it is made by Nestlé
You could always make your own for less...probably healthier too. :P I buy organic, natural ingredients and mix in what my dog loves most: peanut butter! haha.

For those who want "pupsicle" recipes, PM me. :) All you need is a large mixing bowl, a whisk and an ice cube tray. Oh, and a freezer. ;)

Kiba
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Kiba » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 pm

If it helps you guys Kiba is a lot better if someone sits in the back with him. Though when hes on his own in back he dosent drool as much vet thinks he will grow out of it.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Car Sickness

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:00 am

I was wondering if any breeders have tried introducing their litters to the car and short drives at a young age to see if that will help them with preventing motion sickness...it seems most puppies experience car sickness, mainly in the forum of excessive drooling.

There was a video posted by Nino in a different thread and I was very impressed by it - which would be something I'd be interested in pursuing when/if I become a breeder. :)

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Car Sickness

Post by akaye531 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:18 am

Good question. Mowgli was terrified the first time we took him in the car (and for an 8 hour ride). He's gotten used to it, but still drools and vomits sometimes on longer rides. Hoping he'll grow out of it - poor guy!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:24 am

I think it mostly depends on bloodline (some litters are much more badly affected than others)... and all Tamaskan pups will experience carsickness to some degree (depending on their age). That being said, I haven't had much problem with young pups (8 weeks old) traveling long distance by car:

In my experience:
Straight highways (at high speed) + plenty of time to adjust to the motion = sleepy puppies
whereas...
bendy, twisty, hilly local roads (at a lower speed) + short distances = puppy puke everywhere

I guess it depends a lot on individual puppies / litters and various other circumstances. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:44 am

I know Wylie was introduced to the car early on and it has been great! He will fall totally asleep whether it's a 5 minute drive or a 1.5 hour drive. He's also fine with twisty roads. I'm very happy with Alice for introducing him and I think it made a world of difference.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:01 am

Sylvaen wrote:I think it mostly depends on bloodline (some litters are much more badly affected than others)... and all Tamaskan pups will experience carsickness to some degree (depending on their age). That being said, I haven't had much problem with young pups (8 weeks old) traveling long distance by car:

In my experience:
Straight highways (at high speed) + plenty of time to adjust to the motion = sleepy puppies
whereas...
bendy, twisty, hilly local roads (at a lower speed) + short distances = puppy puke everywhere

I guess it depends a lot on individual puppies / litters and various other circumstances. :)
Interesting...and it makes sense. Would you happen to know which lines are more affected? I am also pondering whether there's a specific age where exposing the pups to car rides (long/straight & short/bendy) will help them later on in life...much like how ENS works...?

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:29 am

Ulric never had any carsickness, not one bit of drooling. Zelda on the other hand still drools. She does better if I can sit in the back with her in my lap, almost no drool then. I believe Tarheel had to gather the pups in the car together to bring them to the vets for regular shots and deworming.
I think if she did not have to stay in the crate during such a long trip, she probably would of been better, but I was driving a rental (because gas was cheaper this way) and technically I was not supposed to have pets in there ;)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:30 am

Zephyr has never ever had any issue with the car since I got him at 8 weeks... not one drop of drool ever. He has loved the car from the beginning.

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 pm

Kumho also has never experienced any motion sickness that I could see. No vomiting, no drooling. On shorter rides, he's usually looking out the window. On longer trips, he typically naps most of the time. I think we got lucky since I believe he didn't have much in the way of exposure before we picked him up.

Karen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Karen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Introducing puppy's with moving vehicles at a young age gives absolutely no guarantee that they wont develop car sickness.

Most dogs we have grew out of it within days to weeks.
one wolfdog, who had enough experience with cars as a pup with the breeder, gave us cleaning duty for over a year.
When I put him on a special nauseous medication, that prevents him from puking, he grew out of it.
the moment he couldnt vomit anymore, it took away the stress> No stress, no fear of getting sick> not getting sick> one happy puppy! ( and owner ;) )

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Both Konah and Winter have been car sick. The throwing up took a few weeks, after that just massive drooling. After 10 months or so the drooling became less and less, Konah doesn't do it anymore and Winter has almost stopped by now. They are still both stressed and don't like the car.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:58 pm

Rahne wrote:Both Konah and Winter have been car sick. The throwing up took a few weeks, after that just massive drooling. After 10 months or so the drooling became less and less, Konah doesn't do it anymore and Winter has almost stopped by now. They are still both stressed and don't like the car.
Best wishes for Winter then. Hopefully he will learn to adapt after a certain passage of time

MaaikeBerg
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by MaaikeBerg » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:39 pm

I you want car sickness to solve quick, this is a good option.

Give your dog al his meals in the car sothat he start associating the car with something fun. My parents had a lot of dogs with car sickness and they all were helped this way. :)

weylyn

Post by weylyn » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:47 pm

By some nothing works.........We tried many things and we have one that becomes this year 10 and he still is carsick....but the weird thing of it is that he LOVES the car :shock:
The only thing that keeps him from vometing is riding with open windows........and believe me that is no fun in wintertime :?

JoaquimJoe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by JoaquimJoe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Oow thats is not pleasant I can tell, driving in winter.
the same with my Malamute cross,
nothing works for him too(absolutely not to motivate with food),
only open windows in the Van and in the little car airco low or open windows,
and he usually goes with me at work, (dog-walker)
For the safety I have 12 doxboxes in the Van, but this stubborn guy only drives with me in the frontseat.
(he also has a kind of claustrofobie for crate like things :roll: )
Don't appologise for your ancestry, but stand straight and be proud (Dogwisdom)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:26 am

So, we have been through a period of getting in the car willingly but really not wanting to last summer... then all of a sudden he stopped getting in and squealing if the car comes into view a few month later (i put this down to a car trip taking longer than expected due to getting lost, we ended up driving for 4 hours with toilet stops... Bit much for someone who doesn't like the car anyway)...

After a lot of work, he will get in the car only once, so if he gets in to go somewhere where he needs to get out, he won't get back in again and needs lifting in to get home...

But under no circumstances will he get in the car outside the house... I can take the car round the corner and he will slowly walk upto it and jump in but outside the house he's like a thing gone wild... I personally don't see the difference whether the car is outside the house or round the corner, but car location is very important to him...
Anyone have any ideas why this could be? If the car is outside the house he will jump, cry, squeal, pull, chew his leash and once he gets back inside the house he won't come back out again for a good hour and half... He even pulled out of his harness last week, i didn't even think that was possible...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein