Digging

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
Finn1
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Digging

Post by Finn1 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Does anyone know how I can stop Finn digging? He is going to end up in Australia way before Balto and Rook at this rate. I have tried diversion, I have tried giving him his own digging spot. Nothing stops the terror and the the tv remote has now disappeared, I know he has buried it! :)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Digging

Post by TerriHolt » Tue May 22, 2012 8:30 pm

So sorry but

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Finn1 wrote:He is going to end up in Australia way before Balto and Rook at this rate.
and

Finn1 wrote:and the the tv remote has now disappeared, I know he has buried it! :)
:|

love the wording :oops: :D

I have no idea, i'd love to know as well.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue May 22, 2012 8:33 pm

Zephyr does the same luckily I live on a rocks and he only has about 1 inch to 3 inches before he hits it after the grass and dirt.

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 pm

Finn1 wrote:Does anyone know how I can stop Finn digging? He is going to end up in Australia way before Balto and Rook at this rate. I have tried diversion, I have tried giving him his own digging spot. Nothing stops the terror and the the tv remote has now disappeared, I know he has buried it! :)
ROFL!!!

Did you not try burying the balloons in the spot he's digging? Sounded like a great idea to me.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 pm

nivenj wrote:
ROFL!!!

Did you not try burying the balloons in the spot he's digging? Sounded like a great idea to me.
I have never heard of this but I would like to hear if it has worked or been tried.

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Tue May 22, 2012 8:45 pm

AZDehlin wrote:
nivenj wrote:
ROFL!!!

I have never heard of this but I would like to hear if it has worked or been tried.
Knowing Finn though he will love the sound of Bursting Balloons and proceed to dig up the WHOLE garden looking for more :-D
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Finn1
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Finn1 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:48 pm

I would be out there all day burying balloons! He is as bright as a button. Tonight I was a bad mummy and hadn't given him his 6 o'clock feed. At 6.20 he stopped burying the remote control, he came in, went to the kitchen and collected his bowl. He bought it to me, sat down at my feet with this bowl in his mouth giving me the look! Unbelievable. :)

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Tue May 22, 2012 8:50 pm

Finn1 wrote:I would be out there all day burying balloons! He is as bright as a button. Tonight I was a bad mummy and hadn't given him his 6 o'clock feed. At 6.20 he stopped burying the remote control, he came in, went to the kitchen and collected his bowl. He bought it to me, sat down at my feet with this bowl in his mouth giving me the look! Unbelievable. :)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue May 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Finn1 wrote:I would be out there all day burying balloons! He is as bright as a button. Tonight I was a bad mummy and hadn't given him his 6 o'clock feed. At 6.20 he stopped burying the remote control, he came in, went to the kitchen and collected his bowl. He bought it to me, sat down at my feet with this bowl in his mouth giving me the look! Unbelievable. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: I hope you can keep even half a step ahead of this puppy :lol: :lol: :lol: They are a clever breed, the trick is motivating them to use their brains for you. As for digging have you thought about having a pond :lol: :lol:

Finn1
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Finn1 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Ha ha, yes I am sure we will. It is just those moments when you are doing something else, he takes advantage. The trick is to keep him busy and interested. If he is bored he starts looking for mischief. I do love their characters though, sheer intelligence. We had an Akita a few years ago and she had similar traits. He will keep us on our toes for a good while yet. :)

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue May 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Finn1 wrote:Ha ha, yes I am sure we will. It is just those moments when you are doing something else, he takes advantage. The trick is to keep him busy and interested. If he is bored he starts looking for mischief. I do love their characters though, sheer intelligence. We had an Akita a few years ago and she had similar traits. He will keep us on our toes for a good while yet. :)
You never want a bored Tam :lol: :lol: :lol: I do like independent thinking dogs, it creates its own challenges, but well worth the effort

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Tue May 22, 2012 10:43 pm

how about a treat ball with some of his feed in it. might keep him occupied for a while. lexi isn't to bad we just squirt her with water but she now thinks its a game :lol: . good luck :)

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:12 pm

You could try placing his poop in the holes he digs :) I tried that a couple times with Mona, I'm not sure if it will work though as all Mona did was dig new ones ;)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed May 23, 2012 12:19 am

The poop in holes might work.. But it also might not.. We do it sometimes..
>> Nino <<

Asvodian
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Asvodian » Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 am

who knows maybe he'll dig up a previously unknown oil field that was hiding just below your garden and only if you let him dig up your entire yard will you find this hidden oil field :twisted: :twisted:

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed May 23, 2012 5:48 pm

TParham86 wrote:You could try placing his poop in the holes he digs :) I tried that a couple times with Mona, I'm not sure if it will work though as all Mona did was dig new ones ;)
I tried putting poop in holes and Zephyr just dug up the poop and had it all over himself :roll: I have now put rubber mats that have holes so the grass can have a chance to grow... then as the grass gets thick through the holes I remove the rubber mat. So my yard has a handful of rubber mats on the parts zephyr has put holes, but the grass is growing back :)

Gabriele58
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Gabriele58 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:31 pm

I have wonderful potholes in my garden too, but this thread is making me laugh. Loki even tries to dig holes in his water bowl. Let me just tell you that that's not going over too well. I guarantee that one of these days I'm not going to see the water before I hit the floor :lol:

I think these dogs were put on this earth to make US do some thinking.

I was thinking of maybe putting a huge sandbox in the yard for him if I'm able to get a place with more yard space. Do you think he'd use it to dig or would it not be interesting enough if it's too easy for him? What if I hid some toys in the sand?
~Gabriele~

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed May 23, 2012 8:34 pm

My daughter still has her sand pit, she had it open a few times last year and it was a battle to see who would dig more her or Saga :lol: :lol:

Gabriele58
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Gabriele58 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:39 pm

If I tried the balloon idea, Loki would just end up eating them. There's not a loud enough noise on this planet to scare him.

He'd be like Zephyr and be covered in poop as well.

He loves running through the hose, but then he immediately goes to one of his digging holes, loosens more dirt and then rolls in it until he's unrecognizable :roll:
~Gabriele~

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed May 23, 2012 8:58 pm

I think you just have to accept that you will not have a nice lawn if you have a Tam :lol: Just as I am having to accept after one rose bush and one small plum tree that I will not have a plant in my front garden, unless I can find one with enough spikes to put Saga off chewing it.

Finn1
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Finn1 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Gabriele58 wrote:I have wonderful potholes in my garden too, but this thread is making me laugh. Loki even tries to dig holes in his water bowl. Let me just tell you that that's not going over too well. I guarantee that one of these days I'm not going to see the water before I hit the floor :lol:

I think these dogs were put on this earth to make US do some thinking.

I was thinking of maybe putting a huge sandbox in the yard for him if I'm able to get a place with more yard space. Do you think he'd use it to dig or would it not be interesting enough if it's too easy for him? What if I hid some toys in the sand?

:lol: Brilliant, I had hoped that it would amuse people, Finn certainly makes us laugh. I think the sand pit idea is great I may have to invest in one. I can't believe you have the same thing as us with Loki and the water bowl! it is quite bizarre that one. Yes these dogs do challenge us but it is nice to have a smile at their antics from time to time. :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks to everyone for their ideas and advice, I will keep you posted on progress.

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Wed May 23, 2012 10:44 pm

How about using a raised feeder for the water bowl issue?

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Wed May 23, 2012 10:49 pm

Shay has a couple of paddeling pool's in the garden and she collect's stones, drop's them in the pool, then spend's AGES trying to dig them back out... She is halariouse...
She dig's up the earth and eat's it...then she rolls in the hole she just made and get's totaly covered in mud. She especially enjoys doing this when she is wet, and then ALWAYS comes over looking for a cuddle.... "There is nothing more friendly than a wet dog " as I read on here somewhere !!! She is quite a charector :lol:

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed May 23, 2012 10:54 pm

Yes they certainly like to dig and no garden is safe :lol:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu May 24, 2012 12:04 pm

I was telling my friend about the digging problem and she said her husband had read a fool proof way of stopping your dog digging in your garden........ Keep them out of the garden :lol: :lol: :lol: Not going to happen so enjoy your holes :lol: :lol:

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat May 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Fortunately where I have moved to we have a large wooded area which is being fenced off for the dogs to dig to their hearts content :lol: Im making a separate garden area where my flowers will be safe ;)

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Sat May 26, 2012 11:27 pm

Maybe these tips can help, to teach your puppy not to dig in the garden, but it could be not so helpfull any more for dogs that already dig. ;)

Mila never digs in the garden even though she would like it very much. The first weeks she was here we always kept an eye on her when she was in the garden. When she would start to dig we gave her a soft 'No' and offered her something else, a toy or twig to play with. Also we took care that she didn't got bored in the garden and would start to dig. We hide kibble in the grass and under things, so she could search for it. Or you can put treats in old clothes/blankets, with knots in it so she has to work hard to get them out. It was hot when she came her and for example, we had a container filled with water with sinking and floating toys and treats and she would be busy quite a long time to get them all out. :mrgreen:
What also helps is that she don't has a corner or a place where she can or where she can't dig. It is not clear enough I think for most dogs. So we are consequent. No digging in the garden and on walks you can do whatever you like. I usually give my both dogs a few minutes to dig on a walk. But if I say no it is no, so she won't dig in people's gardens. :lol: It works very well with Mila, maybe for other dogs too. ;)