Dog Attack / Meeting Aggressive Dogs

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Dog Attack / Meeting Aggressive Dogs

Post by Hawthorne » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:36 am

Ok--this has happened to me so many times I'm almost bored to tell you about this...but I thought I'd ask what everyone else would do:

We were walking the dogs, and some idiot had his dog out front in his yard without a leash. The dog charged us and proceeded to run circles around Freyja. He came in close and tried to bite her--but she's lightning fast.

All the while I'm trying to keep her moving down the street, and this dog keeps coming at us. The dumb owners made a very feeble attempt to retrieve the dog (who didn't have a collar on either). Neighbors came out to try and help, because at this point Freyja is doing her frantic high pitched barking--which freaks most people out.

The dog lunges in again, and this time Freyja corrects him and he screams. The owner of the other dog says "let your dog bite mine."

What?! NO! I don't want to teach my dog to bite. What is wrong with people?

Freyja was pulling so hard at this point that she broke two back nails. As some of you may know, Freyja is very dominant. She has NEVER met another dog who has "put her in her place." Even as a puppy she was giving all the alpha signals.

S0--what would you have done? I corrected her all through the ordeal, and tried to get her to move along. I don't know what else we could have done. This has happened a total of seven times now. [Thank god we're moving! I've had enough of the city.]

Does any one else have experience like this? What did you do?

Thanks.
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Tarheel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Dog attack

Post by Tarheel » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:01 am

It sounds like you did everything in your power to stop the situation. My only recommendation is to be very alert of possible situations far in advance. If you are walking down the street and you see the un-leashed dog without a handler, turn and go the other way. Try and avoid the situation before the dogs realize each others presence. There is not a lot you can do to try and control someone elses dogs that are free to roam. Try and avoid them as much as possible.
John Bannow
Tarheel Tamaskan
Committee of Breeders

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:40 am

:evil: Thats terrible that some people let their dogs run loose like that :( especially if they're aggressive toward other dogs! I agree with John, it does seem like you did all that you could have, I think I would have done the same if it were me. Seven times? Have you called the authorities about this?

We have a similar problem, though none have tried to attack they have followed closely keeping their eyes on us. So I avoid the streets that people let their dogs run loose (so many do it over here :evil: ) all I can do, because I live outside the city limits, is just walk up and down my one small street a few times unless I want to drive to a park to go for a walk around.

Joswolf
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Joswolf » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:44 am

The other owner would probebly explain something else. And how agressive we do not no. I read "As some of you may know, Freyja is very dominant. She has NEVER met another dog who has "put her in her place." Even as a puppy she was giving all the alpha signals. ""

So this dog might have shown dominant signals and the other wanted to defend her territory. Dogs that show a lot of agression often not reallyt use force but just cick up a row. Mostly so not always. There are sometimes dogs that disbehave and attack with force. You must make a good interpretation of the body language and the situation at that moment. I also believe dogs always on leash are mostly not able showing good social behaviour.
Then there is another thing. Reading the body language is withe some dogsbreeds not easy, even for another dog. Some breeds have a tail up as neutral or ears hang down. Some breeds can't even get the ears up so discommunacation happense al the time. That's why i like dogs with a "wolflike" body. Even long hair can make it difficult to read the mimic.
But i don't no if this was the case in this example.
Jos

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:46 am

I would consider calling the ASPCA and/or the Police to make a complaint about the dog running free without a collar, and seems threatening when you walk your dog.

I dont know about the law where you live, but i cannot imagine that it's allowed to let your dog run around doing things like that and do nothing again and again.
>> Nino <<

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:30 pm

Tarheel wrote: My only recommendation is to be very alert of possible situations far in advance. If you are walking down the street and you see the un-leashed dog without a handler, turn and go the other way. Try and avoid the situation before the dogs realize each others presence.
Yep, we've had to do this more frequently than I'd care to count. One time it was a pitt bull stray--no owner in sight :evil: Granted I've met very nice pitts before--but when a stray, in-tact male is roming the streets you get a little worried.
This dog was hidden behind a parked car--so we didn't see him until he was already running full tilt towards us.
I even avoid other dogs on leashes now, too because of Freyja's reaction. She lunges and freaks out if she cannot greet the other dog (which I'm sad to say most people are frightened of her by that point).
She was socialized very well as a puppy--we took her to obedience class with over a dozen other dogs, took her to Petco and Petsmart every time we went, she was allowed to greet other dogs any time we allowed it--but once the neighbor's malamute broke his harness on his tie-out and charged us down the street she has seemed to feel the need to "protect" us. I'll admit--that malamute coming after us was a bit alarming but after a few moments I was fine.
When we take her off leash we see other dogs. She just runs up, says hello, tries to get them to play (bowing) and then goes on her merry way. My girlfriend brought her lab with us once off leash and Freyja got along great with him, too. And he's a whopping 95 pound lab!
I think Freyja needs the Dog Whisperer. Once we move, I'll try and find a dog psychologist. This isn't obedience--we just don't know what to do for her at this point. She isn't fully mature yet--being only 18 months.
Any ideas?
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:38 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote: Have you called the authorities about this?
Sadly, there is only one animal control officer for our entire city (300,000 people!). They pretty much ignore calls unless a dog bites someone. The City Police told me to carry mace and spray the dogs that attack us. Well...it's sorta hard to mace someone elses dog when they're standing right there with their kids.

The funny thing was the dog owner blamed the dog for getting away. Saying "she broke her collar." WHAT? Restrain your dog. Put up a fence. Something. It amazes me that people tie up their dogs in the front yard. This has been 90% of our problem. Who does this? Wouldn't this make any dog territorial? Put them in the back yard where they don't feel like they have to bark at every passersby to protect the house. :x Being outside should be enjoyable, not stressful to your dog. :roll:

I cannot wait to move. Sure, that place will probably have its issues, too--but no more city livin' for us! To the country!
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Joswolf wrote:The other owner would probebly explain something else. And how agressive we do not no. I read "As some of you may know, Freyja is very dominant. She has NEVER met another dog who has "put her in her place." Even as a puppy she was giving all the alpha signals. ""

So this dog might have shown dominant signals and the other wanted to defend her territory. Dogs that show a lot of agression often not reallyt use force but just cick up a row. Mostly so not always. There are sometimes dogs that disbehave and attack with force. You must make a good interpretation of the body language and the situation at that moment. I also believe dogs always on leash are mostly not able showing good social behaviour.
Then there is another thing. Reading the body language is withe some dogsbreeds not easy, even for another dog. Some breeds have a tail up as neutral or ears hang down. Some breeds can't even get the ears up so discommunacation happense al the time. That's why i like dogs with a "wolflike" body. Even long hair can make it difficult to read the mimic.
But i don't no if this was the case in this example.
Jos
I agree with you. But the other owner didn't come after her dog because she wanted my dog to bite hers. She kept saying "let your dog bite mine!"
What is wrong with people? Sure, that might teach her dog to not approach other dogs that look like mine, but it also teaches my dog to bite. :evil: So very frustrating.

There is another detail that will probably explain the rest of the situation. Our other dog, Fenris, was and still is a fearful dog. He is an Aussie / Lab mix--so he has the droopy ears on top of it. When other dogs charge us, his back arches, hackles go up and his tail goes between his legs. When he was a puppy, I had to work with him extensively to even walk with me down the street without completely freezing up.

SO-- Freyja is "protecting" the pack and reacting to Fenris' inappropriate body language. He is almost always the target. We've considered walking the dogs seperately because of this--but that misses the point of spending time together completely. Also, it only puts a band aid on the problem. So, we correct Fenris' fearful body language / whimpering etc. now and hope we can all work through this. It has to stop, and we're working very hard on it. I actually hope that more situations like this come up so that we can work through this more quickly.

EEK--a dominant dog and a fearful dog together make quite a handful on the walk. This is why they were always pulling me in two seperate directions. Now my husband has to come with us ;) (yay for me! more hubby time!)

I wish we had access to a lot of friends with dogs so that we could teach her to ignore other dogs. That's the biggest challenge for her. Well, that and motorcycles. She LOVES motorcycles. :lol:
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Nino wrote:I would consider calling the ASPCA and/or the Police to make a complaint about the dog running free without a collar, and seems threatening when you walk your dog.

I dont know about the law where you live, but i cannot imagine that it's allowed to let your dog run around doing things like that and do nothing again and again.
Yes, there is a leash law here. 6' maximum.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

miffany
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Meeting agressive dogs

Post by miffany » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:34 pm

I took Zuuk for his pre-breakfast walk this morning and saw the landlady from the pub next door walking up the hill towards me with her two Jack Russels off lead. I hesitated as they have been aggressive to Zuuk in the past, but she saw me coming and seemed unconcerned so I continued towards them with Zuuk on the lead. As soon as her dogs rounded the corner and saw Zuuk they both lunged at him and completely attacked him. Poor Zuuk had no escape as he was on the lead and they weren't . I was completely frozen, not knowing what to do, other than trying to pull Zuuk out of their way. Zuuk did begin to stand up for himself with his wolfy snarl showing, but it really does not seem to be in his nature to be aggressive. Eventually Hannah managed to get her dogs away and continued up the hill with a quick but sincere apology.
I have to say I just burst in to tears after she had left. Zuuk was fine, but a little shaken and I was just so shocked and furious with myself for not doing something to defend him.
What the hell are you supposed to do in that situation? Neither of the Jack Russells were wearing collars so there was no way to grab them and in any case they were just furious balls of teeth. I wanted to kick them, but you can't go round kicking other people's dogs can you? I was literally on the brink of lifting Zuuk up to get him out of the way of their horrible little teeth, when Hannah managed to get them away from him. How ridiculous would that have been for me to lift my 27kg wolf look alike to save him from two little ankle biters.

No offense to anyone who has Jack Russels on here, but I really do not like those dogs. Zuuk has been attacked several times, always by JRs. - know that makes Zuuk sound like a total little wimp - he is not, but I'd really rather he not be forced to defend himself as one of these days, he's just going to grab one of those dogs round the throat and shake it to death.

Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Meeting agressive dogs

Post by Rambler » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:10 pm

My dogs have been attacked by Jack Russels too. I always had to remove my dog from the situation because the Jack Russels would never back down. I would also be interested in how others handle similar situations.

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:42 pm

Poor Zuuk. That was really dumb of the owner to have her dogs off lead especially with a history of aggression. :evil:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:13 pm

I hope poor Zuuk isn't hurt badly :( it make me angry when people let their dogs get away with their aggressive behavior, those Jack Russles should not have been off lead with that history :evil:

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:17 pm

I have also had my border collie attacked by a Jack Russell and I got my finger bitten by it when I tried to seperate them.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

malamutemick
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by malamutemick » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:13 pm

This Sort Of Thing Makes Me Really Angry,People Who Cant Control There Dogs Should Be Made To Keep Them On Leads Or Muzzled :x Our Collie Was Attacked By A Kelpie & Now If She Feels Threatened She Gets In First Which Can Sometimes Be A Problem As She Is Not Aggressive By Nature. If This Was Our Big Male Malamute It Could Be Potentially Fatal.I Hope Your Dog Is Ok & Not To Traumatized By This Attack :(

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:23 pm

poor zuuk and you, jack russels (or ankle nippers as i call them) are one of the worse for being aggresive to other dogs, i think its the get them before thay get me mentality :( .

miffany
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by miffany » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 pm

See what a mean aggressive Dog Zuuk can be!

Jen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Jen » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:37 am

Ahh cute vid!! Zuuk does that lying on top of and squashing his play mate thing too!! Thats a Sasha classic!! Sorry to hear he has had a horrid experience. A similar kind of thing happened to Sash when she was just a five month old pup and it really has affected her alot. A golden retriever of all breeds who are always lovely, chased her down and then pinned her down snarling and she was totally petrified. The owner shouted "oh sorry he is a total nightmare"!!! why would you let a dog like that off at a busy dog walking spot. :shock:

I ran over and moved the dog and took her away but she has never got over it really and she is scared of every new dog she meets until she realises they wont hurt her,then she adores them and will play for ever. She is getting slowly better with me asking everyone I know to bring nice dogs to play with her but I dont think she will ever be 100 % confident again which is sad.

I am sure Zuuk will be fine as he looks a lovely laid back boy :D I just wish people would take more responsibility for their dogs and think of the consequences.

miffany
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by miffany » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:58 am

Thanks Wen, I think that is good advice to get in between and try and shout down the other dog/s. I wish I had shouted at the Jack Russels instead of just pulling at poor Zuuk and getting panicky.
I saw the pub landlord this morning and he apologised for what had happened and I kept saying, oh don't worry about it, it's fine - dogs will be dogs etc. But still, I hate those little dogs.

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Ayasca has been attacked by other dogs twice. The first time was on holiday when some kind of terrier (although not a JR) went for him. I think it was a female though as he didnt fight back, just looked totally shellshocked. It was off lead and he was on. Its owner said it had never done it before but who knows.

The second time was one of a pack of four staffie types (Irish I think, as they are bigger than normal staffies) who are owned by a guy and his mother who live near us. They are constantly off leash and quite scary coming towards you. The mother has no control over them, although the son does, and he will usually put their leads on if he sees us. They have been warned by the Police I believe that there must be two of them, if they take the four out at once.
Unfortunately, the second oldest (Neil) and Ayasca have never liked each other, probably because they are the same age and unneutered males.

Graham was out with our two and saw the mother and two dogs (one being Neil) coming towards him off lead. He tried to get out of the way, but Neil came running up and attacked Ayasca. Graham had to let go of Mischa's lead and she was so frightened she ran off. Ayasca however did fight back and must have given a good account of himself as Neil eventually ran off. Ayasca wasnt hurt which was lucky and came in looking quite pleased with himself. Mischa also came back to Graham after things had quietened down.

The mother of course was useless throughout as Neil just ignores her. She always put them on their lead now when walking past our house although I'm not sure what the point of that is as she lets them off again as soon as she is round the corner.

I was glad I wasnt there as I would have been having a panic attack! Its all a bit of a dlilemma as if it was a small dog I would be afraid Ayasca would injure it badly if he fought back for as well as the weight difference he probably has a more powerful bite than average from being raw fed and crunching bones.

I dont think I would have the confidence to get between two fighting dogs!
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:27 pm

What I don't understand is why the JRs owner allows them to walk around off leash and out of control, no less with out a collar or harness (which would have been useful to drag them off your pup...)

If you have a decent relationship with the JRs owner (he does seem sorry for the instance) ask him to soft muzzle his dogs...while walking them...I would also see if he would be willing to let all three dogs interact under those circumstances...

The number one essential thing you need to to when faced with a dog fight is STAY CALM and UNDER CONTROL. Getting anxious will only feed the energy of the moment....with smaller dogs, reaching for the nape of their neck will work, larger dogs should be dragged apart by their hind legs, hopefully there is another adult to help, but if not, the Aggressor's legs should be dragged off...with a calm, firm, reassuring voice saying something like "That's ENOUGH"

I tell you, people can be sooo dumb....like I said earlier...why on earth doesn't he leash the JRs? Just because they are small dogs does not mean they can't deliver a very painful bite!
"I like my dogs more than most people"

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Poor Zuuk and poor you! I don't know if you did it, but try not to comfort him too much when something like this happens and try to stay calm, because he could even get more scared in the future, although that is sometimes difficult when you are so shocked. ;)

When I have my dog on a leash and I see a dog coming who wants to fight or something like that, I get in between and make myself big and I will look very angry, I believe Wen does it also a bit like this. I say with a low, demanding voice to the other dog that he has to go away. If I see an owner I will ask if he or she can call back the dog. If the dog will not go away and there is no owner, I start to be more angry (no shouting, but in a calm and confident way), and move slowly towards the dog. Usually they will go back with a surprised look on their face, because the dogs do not expect such a reaction from a human. ;) And I'm no big, angry looking person or something like that, I'm just very clear in what I want, and I want them to leave my dog alone if the intentions of the other dog aren't good. ;) I only do this with dogs I know I can intimidate, people friendly dogs, wich most dogs are.

If my dog is fighting, wich happened sometimes in the past, I pulled him away, grabbing the beginning of his tail. And I kept him on a leash so it wouldn't happen at all. Nowadays he listens very well and will not fight anymore, because he gained social behaviour with training and will come immediatly if I call him. I do not like it if owners leave their dogs running around without a leash while they are not social. And I think it is normal if you see a dog on a leash, that you put your own dog also on the leash. It is very irritating to see owners who do not care at all about their, or other dogs. :(

I hope I didn't make too much mistakes and that you can understand what I'm trying to say. ;)

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:16 pm

wen wrote:
Misaya wrote:I dont think I would have the confidence to get between two fighting dogs!
between fighting dogs, it would be quite dangerous, but between them before they fight, in order to try to avoid it, I think you could ;)
I have often seen people with their dogs off leash when they were dominant or their owner had no control on them... even if I used to think : sorry for this dog, but if he comes closer and that Vanille gets him, I'm not in fault, SHE is on leash, it's never that's simple...
I think I would worry that I would be nervous and the other dog would pick up on it and it would probably make things worse instead of better.

But I do agree that if my dog is on a leash and someone else's isnt then technically it is the other owner's fault if anything happens, bit as you say it is not always that simple. Also when an off leash dog runs up and the owner says "its's ok he/she only want to play" I get a bit annoyed, as while their dog may want to play, the owner has no idea whether mine wants to play or not!
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:22 pm

wen wrote:
Misaya wrote:Also when an off leash dog runs up and the owner says "its's ok he/she only want to play" I get a bit annoyed, as while their dog may want to play, the owner has no idea whether mine wants to play or not!
you're right, it happened to me the last time I walked the dog of my neighbourg : a pincher came running and so I put a second leash on the labrador for having a better catch on her.

The owner said :
- "Don't be afraid, he's not dangerous"
and and I answered :
- "Maybe, but SHE is"
Haha, I recognize this. Or people who say: "He only wants to play!" And in the meanwhile I see a dog who doesn't want to play at all but wants to intimidate and/or dominate another dog and tries to bulldozer the other dog on the ground. Around here it happens most of the time with male labs. :| I do not know why and I don't have anything against labs, but some owners... :roll:
Misaya wrote: But I do agree that if my dog is on a leash and someone else's isnt then technically it is the other owner's fault if anything happens, bit as you say it is not always that simple. Also when an off leash dog runs up and the owner says "its's ok he/she only want to play" I get a bit annoyed, as while their dog may want to play, the owner has no idea whether mine wants to play or not!
Indeed! In the past was my dog not always friendly against other big male dogs and it's unbelieveble how many dogowners do this!

If your dog is attacked by another dog who is grabbing your dog and is not letting go, you can try to tie one dog to a tree or something and then hold the dog who is loose. Maybe you have to put your leash around the other dog. If you are with more people you can just hold the dogs thight. When they try to grab eachother better, and they will, you can pull them from eachother. Don't ever pull when one dog is still hanging on, because that would tear up the skin and could cause terrible wounds. And try to prevent shaking. Not so nice to think about and it doesn't happen that often, luckily, but it is always good to know what to do if you are in that position. And you have to stay calm and act quickly, which could be difficult offcourse. I've never experienced it myself and I hope I never will but I wanted to know this, just for sure.

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Dog Attack / Meeting Aggressive Dogs

Post by claireyclaire » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:04 am

Poor Zuuk, I hope he is OK, I can confirm what a softie he is. The girls send him lots of love ;)
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

miffany
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by miffany » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:35 pm

Thanks everyone for your insights. I feel I'd be much more confident if that situation were to arise again. Reading some of those posts I realise I am also a bit of an irresponsible dog owner because I often let Zuuk off the lead, even though his recall is not 100% and when he charges up to other dogs to say 'hi' I can't stop him. I am that person that says "don't worry, he just wants to play", though I do drag him away as soon as I see the other dog does not want to.

I did comfort Zuuk after he was attacked, really more to comfort myself by giving him a big cuddle, but luckily it didn't reinforce his fear or nervousness around other dogs. He's completely fearless and will charge up to ANY dog with no concern what so ever, so fortunately, no lasting scars. It makes me so relieved because I meet so many dog owners that tell me their dog doesn't like other dogs because they were attacked when they were younger. In fact we met a dog on the beach today, Mutley, whose owners were shocked when he started playing with Zuuk because he's normally terrified of bigger dogs, having been attacked by a labrador as a puppy. Zuuk just went over and lay down at his feet, so I guess he knew he wasn't in any danger!

Lyss
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Lyss » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:50 pm

Just thought I'd put in my two-cents :)

I suggest you carry around some pepper spray, a stout walking stick, and some pinecones for those pesky ankle biters. I used to have this exact problem when I lived in Albin, a town of fifty people and fifty stray dogs. Whenever I walked Chaska and a loose dog started to approach us, I'd step between Chaska and the loose dog, gruffly and forcefully tell that dog to go away, and, if that didn't work, I'd use my tools of persuasion to tell the other dog to get lost. To date, I've never had a confidence issue with Chaska, either with other people, new situations, or strange dogs.

Here's an article by Ed Frawley about dog parks and puppies, but it pretty much sums up the whole strange-dog-approach dilemma, I think. Hope it helps ;) http://leerburg.com/pdf/dogparks.pdf

By the way, I'm happy to hear Zuuk didn't suffer after his encounter :D He sounds like a real roll-with-the-punches, happy-go-lucky kinda guy hehe

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:45 am

Pity we couldnt get pepper spray here in UK I can think of many uses for it :lol:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44 pm

I have a small terrier type dog, probably Jack Russell crossed with Yorkshire Terrier, but not sure as she came from a resuce. She is not aggressive but can get snappy if other dogs don't leave her alone as she does not really know how to play.

I am usually lucky when walking my dog, but we did have one incident when we were on holiday. We were walking past a boat yard when a Jack Russell dashed out, I was between my dog and the gate and with out thinking hooked my foot under its tummy and sent it flying back into the yard. Probably not the recomended solution, but it worked.

I am not sure what I would have done in a similar situation, but try and get my dog away would be high priority.

I hope your new home is better for your dogs and you.

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:58 am

Let me start by saying that Mowgli is a very well socialized pup. We have been taking him to the dog park since he had all of his puppy vaccinations and it was safe. He has been to puppy socialization classes and obedience training, and has been in contact with dogs of all shapes and sizes (one of his favorite pups to play with is a spunky French Bulldog). He is not a dominant dog, but not very submissive either - I'd say he lies somewhere in the middle. When wrestling with a dog at the park he and the other dog typically spend an equal amount of time on their backs.

Recently an American Akita started frequenting the park, and the two of them just do not get on. The Akita plays pretty nicely with the other dogs at the park, but he often approaches Mowgli and stands over him as (if pinning him) in a very dominant way. Mowgli gets anxious and tries to wiggle away, but when he can't get up he begins snarling and acting aggressively toward the dog. The owner of the Akita typically calls from across the park "You can just pull my dog away", but something about removing someone else's 95 lb dominant dog from a tense situation doesn't strike a chord with me.The Akita just doesn't back down, so Mowgli gets more worked up because he won't leave him be. I remove Mowgli from the situation, tell him to lay down, and let go of his harness once he has clearly calmed down. Once the situation is diffused, Mowgli goes on his merry way playing with his buddies, but the Akita keeps approaching him as if to test him, and with each successive time Mowgli gets more worked up. He looks like he's being the aggressor, but I sense that the other dog is making him anxious and he may be acting out of fear. I usually end up leaving after a while because it becomes very stressful, but I don't see that as a long term solution. Mowgli has never showed any kind of aggression toward any other dog, and I'd like for this not to become a habit. Any suggestions?

Additional details - both dogs are not neutered, and are both around 10 months old. The owner claims that his dog is very submissive, but that's not the read I'm getting on him.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:12 am

I know this may sound like an odd request...would you be able to catch one of these incidents on video? Preferably from start to finish (grab a human buddy to hold the camera!).

There are some dogs that I like to call "play police" - they'll literally go around the dog park (or dog daycare) and wrestle any dog they think is getting to worked up. From what you've described, it sounds like the Akita is rather pushy - that, or he just might not like other unneutered males. In my experience, some Akitas naturally act this way - they're confident dogs, which is why you'll notice they almost always have their tail high and curled up. They also have very confident body language, which is sometimes what gets them into trouble. Generally speaking, at the age of 10months to 18months is when a dog goes through their rebellious teenage phase (whether spayed/neutered or not). They'll push their boundaries more often, but I've seen this teenage phase significantly reduced if the dog has a good obedience training background.

My best advice right now is to keep an eagle eye on the Akita. Whenever he goes near Mowgli, chase the Akita away by placing yourself between him and Mowgli and then yell at the big fella to "get out!" - point in the direction you want him to go with an angry look on your face. It would also help if Mowgli stayed behind you (kind of difficult since the dogs are off-leash). I do not recommend making Mowgli lay down because he's defending himself - that may make the situation worse for Mowgli and think he needs to protect himself even more. Just keep him behind you in a sitting position - if he's relaxed enough to lay down, let him, as long as it's not a ruse to speed off to go play again. lol. Once he's relaxed, let him go. You can do this calming down exercise on leash if you have to. Do some obedience commands with him to get him back into a working state of mind if you have to - whatever you need to get him to stop focusing on the Akita trying to dominate him.

An alternative to dog parks would be if you've met any folks there who would like to meet up regularly for pack walks instead. This is much better form of socialization if all the dog are on leash (and controllable). After a walk, everyone can just chill out, the dogs can relax or if you're in a secure area, let the dogs romp around off-leash.

I apologize if I didn't make any sense...it's late. XD