How to keep Tam off sofa when out

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

How to keep Tam off sofa when out

Post by chelle784 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:50 pm

So our Tam is not allowed on the sofa (she sheds white fur and our sofa is black). I think she thinks 'I'm not allowed on the sofa when Mum and Dad are in the house.' I say this because she doesn't jump on the sofa when we are around and doesn't even try. However, when I come back home, the cushions on the couch are suspiciously squashed and covered in white fur.... I have never caught her in the act. If she is on the sofa when I'm coming through the door, I suspect she jumps off it as soon as she hears the door unlocking.

She does get penned into the den with a dog gate but it's one of the ones with a cat door in them and she seems to be able to squeeze through that (I have no idea how she does this).

Does anyone have any tips to train their dogs to not be on the sofa when they are out? I read somewhere to put something on the top that makes a noise like cans so they fall down when the dog jumps up but I don't want her to hurt herself on the cans or try chew them.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: How to keep Tam off sofa when out

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 am

Don't know how you would keep them off, but maybe put a sheet over the couch while you're gone so there will at least not be hair on the couch?

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:46 am

So I tried putting throws over and came back to this! I don't think she likes them lol I couldn't help but laugh when I came back today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:49 am

Oh goodness :lol: I could not help but giggle either. I have heard of sprays that you would spray on furniture to keep pets off, don't know how well they work though.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:43 pm

If you have the time to setup a video camera where you can watch her from a remote location and a speaker system, you could watch her in the video...when she gets on, you'd give her a verbal 'uh-uh' or 'no'..she'll think you've got eyes on her everywhere. mind game. ;)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:34 pm

I read somewhere they don't like aluminum foil and to try and put that on top of the sofa.. but I have no Idea if it works tbh
>> Nino <<

chelle784
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by chelle784 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:50 pm

oh great thanks everyone!