Herding Test

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Herding Test

Post by iamnic » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:37 am

Naima passed her herding instinct test today. We had no idea how she would do going into it, just thought it might be fun to try out. She knew how to circle and drive the sheep instinctively, though she did go in for a bite on the poor sheep's haunches a few times. I can't really blame her since almost all of the drive training and we've done with her has been with shearling toys, and sheep tails and butts are basically walking tugs!. The trainer thought that her prey drive was really intense and "interesting" and said that despite going for the bite, she's biddable enough to work if we want to start seriously training her. This video was taken after she had been in the ring for a bit already, so she was pretty riled up by this point. That's Kona whining in the background to be let into the ring--Naima was more or less silent the whole time. We're going to test Kona in a few weeks.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Re: Herding Test

Post by balto13 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:29 am

I assume not all tams are capable of this - it all depends on the particular tam - it is interesting to see though so thanks for sharing the video and your experience

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Very interesting!
>> Nino <<

Wolfsbane
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Wolfsbane » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:29 am

Ohh Konah would LOVE that! :P
She would go for their throats right away though :oops:

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Wylie would chase the sheep, catch them, hump them, and then try and bite them. It's happened before :roll:
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Wolfsbane wrote:Ohh Konah would LOVE that! :P
She would go for their throats right away though :oops:
The trainer was pretty convinced that if left to her own devices, Naima would have gone for a take down rather than just nipping at their haunches. He seemed pretty confident that she her bite could be trained out....I hope he's right! If she injures or kills one of those sheep it would by far be her most expensive chew toy. :oops:
Katlin wrote:Wylie would chase the sheep, catch them, hump them, and then try and bite them. It's happened before :roll:
Oh no! :lol: This was Naima's first exposure to livestock aside from seeing a horse in a pen from a pretty far distance. She was so excited - I can only imagine that the entire experience would have been much more chaotic if she had just encountered some sheep on a walk.

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:24 pm

Very interesting to see the Tamaskan as a shepherd dog :shock:

Good luck with the training :)

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:20 am

I would have loved to do that with Sølve while she was alive..
We did see sheep several times, and she was loose just beside a sheep pen but never with the sheep..

I would like to try this out with Skygge though, she is a GSD so I am curious how she would handle it.
I know she does like horses but have no clue about sheep.
>> Nino <<

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:24 am

Nino wrote:I would have loved to do that with Sølve while she was alive..
We did see sheep several times, and she was loose just beside a sheep pen but never with the sheep..

I would like to try this out with Skygge though, she is a GSD so I am curious how she would handle it.
I know she does like horses but have no clue about sheep.
Interesting enough there is a guy near where we live who does herding classes, might have to poke all the people near us to take their tams and see how it goes :D I do hope you get to take Skygge, it would be interesting to see!

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:42 pm

I would have to find someone who does instinct tests (as it is called here which means herding instincts).
I did look up a few gsd's on youtube herding and a few tests to their instinct and looking at that there is a chance that she could have it :)
>> Nino <<

iamnic
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by iamnic » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:27 pm

Nino wrote:I would have to find someone who does instinct tests (as it is called here which means herding instincts).
I did look up a few gsd's on youtube herding and a few tests to their instinct and looking at that there is a chance that she could have it :)
Go for it! The trainer that we went to said that the GSD's do well. Good luck!!

When we were thinking about trying this out, finding a Youtube video of a vlcak herding (granted, not all that well - I think she was a beginner) cemented our decision. If nothing else, it's fun to try out!

I'm actually hoping to try cattle. I kind of feel like Naima was so bold with her biting because the sheep aren't much bigger than her (just speculation). Maybe if the livestock is bigger she might show some restraint.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:26 pm

iamnic wrote:
Nino wrote:I would have to find someone who does instinct tests (as it is called here which means herding instincts).

When we were thinking about trying this out, finding a Youtube video of a vlcak herding (granted, not all that well - I think she was a beginner) cemented our decision. If nothing else, it's fun to try out!

I'm actually hoping to try cattle. I kind of feel like Naima was so bold with her biting because the sheep aren't much bigger than her (just speculation). Maybe if the livestock is bigger she might show some restraint.
I believe that cows actually require more nibby cowdogs
>> Nino <<

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:53 am

Balto would either try to eat it or play with it. I've thought about trying this out a couple of times.
Image Image

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:20 pm

Wow, that's very interesting! I've had folks ask if they can be herding dogs because of the GSD content. Kudos to you for trying new things with your dogs :)
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:05 pm

iamnic wrote:

So I sometimes help with some horses near where I live and they go in fields with cows too (Highland cattle), I brought Skygge and tied her to my car in a long lead when going there the other day to feed the animals, and she definately has the interest to do it.. when done feeding I took her into the fields in the long lead, the horses found her very interesting and were sniffing and nibbling her (they got a NO and push when they did because I didn't want them to bite her out of curiousity) the cows were interested enough but they were more of wanting to chase her away, which is interesting enough since they don't even come near people (they aren't handled other than when they are taken off to be slaughtered but will go near you just not near enough for you to touch them), I quickly went back to the opening of the field with the electric fencing on two sides so they didn't surround us and someone ended getting hurt.. the big cows do after all have 40-50 cm horns and that could do some damage if something happened :)

I am positive however she does have the interest to drive livestock (cows or sheep) if she was taught the right way :)
>> Nino <<