Using a Shepherds Whistle?

All topics pertaining to agility, obedience, sled racing, search & rescue, therapy training, etc.
Atwick
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Using a Shepherds Whistle?

Post by Atwick » Fri May 30, 2014 1:30 am

I've never trained with a Shepherds Whistle, but from what I've gathered it would be a really useful tool. You don't have to use it only for herding, in fact a lot of sheepdog owners also use it for obedience training. For quiet people who aren't used to yelling (like me) long distances (if you're hiking or on a long trail, maybe a large dog park, etc.) for our dogs to return, I figured it would be neat to train the Tamaskan Dog, or any dog for that matter, with these whistles.

I plan on purchasing one of these whistles and trying my mouth at replacing my hand signals (I use hand signals even though he is not blind and deaf like my other dog because my voice is naturally low and I'm not used to speaking loudly. I use touch commands for my blind and deaf Texas Healer. And yummy-lishous treats.) that I use for my German Shepherd and Rottweiler mix with a few whistle commands. I'd imagine it would work just as well with any other breed. And when/if I ever get a Tamaskan Dog, I'll definitely train it to the best of my abilities.

Has anyone used a Shepherds Whistle with their Tamaskan Dog, or any dog for that matter?

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Using a Shepherds Whistle?

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:43 am

I have a metal Shepherds Whistle and I love using it! I only use it for recall though because my voice does not travel far. My Tamaskans both respond to it very well :)

Atwick
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Atwick » Fri May 30, 2014 4:26 am

Sweet! I can't wait to get one. :3

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:14 pm

I have two (lost my first which I got as a present from my partner :-( ) One in plastic, just halfround, the other is an aluminium A1 whistle, I LOVE it, carry it around at all times around my neck.
Compared to the other one it fits in my mouth really good, and the tone is much easier to make along with the sound being very clear when I make it.

I simply love my Shepherds Whistle!
>> Nino <<