Tuskyn

A place to share photos of your Tamaskan Dogs: puppies, adults, etc.
User avatar
Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Tuskyn

Post by Tuskietoes » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi folks - sorry for the delay in getting photos put on the board. We took some shots at the weekend so I've uploaded those. As you can see, he loves the camera (and knows he's gorgeous!) ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rahne

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Rahne » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:03 pm

Tuskyn looks gorgeous! :D

User avatar
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 4799
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Princeton, TX US
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Tuskyn is such a good looking boy :)
Image

User avatar
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Great photos! Tuskyn is very handsome :)
Image
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

User avatar
Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:38 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Rambler » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:45 pm

Very handsome!! :D

User avatar
Tamaddict
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:00 am
Location: NJ, USA

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Tamaddict » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Great pics :D
-Michelle

User avatar
Mylingen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 2:08 pm
Location: West Midlands, UK

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Mylingen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:00 pm

Great photos, Tuskyn is very handsome!
I see so much Ookami in him. Especially in the third picture from the top, that's almost spooky!
He also reminds me alot of Ulric colour-wise. :)
Image

User avatar
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 4799
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Princeton, TX US
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:07 pm

Mylingen wrote:Great photos, Tuskyn is very handsome!
I see so much Ookami in him. Especially in the third picture from the top, that's almost spooky!
He also reminds me alot of Ulric colour-wise. :)
I thought so too, especially in the face.
Image

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1430
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:48 pm
Location: France

Re: Tuskyn

Post by wen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:18 pm

very great ;)
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

User avatar
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am
Location: Aalborg - Denmark

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Nino » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:21 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:
Mylingen wrote:Great photos, Tuskyn is very handsome!
I see so much Ookami in him. Especially in the third picture from the top, that's almost spooky!
He also reminds me alot of Ulric colour-wise. :)
I thought so too, especially in the face.
Me too.. but Ooki is still my fav - because of the colors :-D
>> Nino <<
Image

User avatar
TheNorth
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:38 am
Location: Germany

Re: Tuskyn

Post by TheNorth » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:33 pm

What a dog :)

User avatar
Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Tuskietoes » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 pm

Aww thanks guys! I think as a breed they are stunning and it's safe to say they're all gorgeous! We get quite a few "what kind of dog is he" out on walks and so far, no one we've met has heard of them. We tend to shortcut to "a husky x shepherd" if we're met with blank stares! :)
Nino wrote:Me too.. but Ooki is still my fav - because of the colors :-D
LOL! I don't blame you - Ookami is stunning and has a fabulous coat. I love his little white eyebrows! :)

User avatar
wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1285
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 10:15 pm
Location: scotland

Re: Tuskyn

Post by wicca1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:15 am

tuskyn is beautiful :D .

User avatar
JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2535
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Tuskyn

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:24 pm

He is a lovely looking dog.

User avatar
muensterland
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 8:57 pm
Location: Germany-Gescher
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by muensterland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Great pics :) Tuskyn is beautiful ;)
best wishes from Kirsten and Karsten
http://www.tamaskan-vom-muensterland.de
Image

User avatar
martinbernstein
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:14 am
Location: Catskill Mountains

Re: Tuskyn

Post by martinbernstein » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:19 am

Tuskietoes wrote:Aww thanks guys! I think as a breed they are stunning and it's safe to say they're all gorgeous! We get quite a few "what kind of dog is he" out on walks and so far, no one we've met has heard of them. We tend to shortcut to "a husky x shepherd" if we're met with blank stares! :)
That's exactly what I do too except I add malamute too. Your dog is beautiful. How old?

User avatar
Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Tuskietoes » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:51 pm

martinbernstein wrote:That's exactly what I do too except I add malamute too. Your dog is beautiful. How old?
Thanks Martin - your avatar looks beautiful as well. :) He's going to be two in June.

As for the breed - we also sometimes throw in the "Malamute" but we tend to judge it based on the reaction of the "He's a husky...shepherd..." bit first! :lol:

User avatar
Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1730
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 3:31 pm
Location: Central Scotland

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Misaya » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Lovely pics - he's very handsome.
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

User avatar
Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Gaby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Tuskyn is a beautiful boy, I like his name too. Have you already seen the Then and now phototopic? If you like, you can post pictures from Tuskyn in it too, I would like to see him as a little baby. I bet he was lovely! :D

User avatar
Wave2Tuffy
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Wave2Tuffy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:45 am

Tuskyn has every reason to LOVE the camera :lol: BEAUTIFUL!

User avatar
Amy
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Amy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:44 am

Tuskyn looks gorgeous! :D

User avatar
TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3273
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:56 am
Location: UK, East Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:06 pm

he looks gorgeous! :D

how does everyone get their dog (even the puppies) to keep still/pose? i try getting a pic of sam, he sits, i click... but somewhere between the "he sits and i click", he moves and i'm left with a brown smudge instead of a picture lol. i have great admiration for those of u (everyone but me lol) who can get great pics like these pics.
Image

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am
Location: Aalborg - Denmark

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Nino » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:03 pm

TerriHolt wrote:he looks gorgeous! :D

how does everyone get their dog (even the puppies) to keep still/pose? i try getting a pic of sam, he sits, i click... but somewhere between the "he sits and i click", he moves and i'm left with a brown smudge instead of a picture lol. i have great admiration for those of u (everyone but me lol) who can get great pics like these pics.
for every maybe between 20 and 50 picture i take there is a couple of good ones :lol: just keep taking them
>> Nino <<
Image

User avatar
JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2535
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Tuskyn

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Nino wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:he looks gorgeous! :D

how does everyone get their dog (even the puppies) to keep still/pose? i try getting a pic of sam, he sits, i click... but somewhere between the "he sits and i click", he moves and i'm left with a brown smudge instead of a picture lol. i have great admiration for those of u (everyone but me lol) who can get great pics like these pics.
for every maybe between 20 and 50 picture i take there is a couple of good ones :lol: just keep taking them
Snap I have lots of photos of tails and backs of heads, just occaisionally I get a usable one.

User avatar
TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3273
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:56 am
Location: UK, East Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:31 pm

ahhh... not to sound mean or anything but that makes me so happy :P ... it's not just me... yay lol
Image

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Tuskietoes » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:45 pm

Yup! For every decent one, there are at least 3 fuzzy ones! Tuskyn tends to sit still once he's been out for a good walk, hence why he looks puffed out in some - he's happy for the rest!! :)

User avatar
TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 4:30 am
Location: WI USA
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by TeresaC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:41 am

What a handsome boy!!!!!!
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

User avatar
Lyss
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:55 pm
Location: Wyoming

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Lyss » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:21 am

Nino wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:he looks gorgeous! :D

how does everyone get their dog (even the puppies) to keep still/pose? i try getting a pic of sam, he sits, i click... but somewhere between the "he sits and i click", he moves and i'm left with a brown smudge instead of a picture lol. i have great admiration for those of u (everyone but me lol) who can get great pics like these pics.
for every maybe between 20 and 50 picture i take there is a couple of good ones :lol: just keep taking them
:lol: I took hundreds of pics of Chaska when she was younger, and out of those I only have like 50 decent ones :P

Tuskyn is handsome, though! He has an awesome smile!!

User avatar
JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 3:20 am
Location: Madison, WI USA

Re: Tuskyn

Post by JoshC » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Good Looking Dog!!!

User avatar
Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Tuskietoes » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:04 am

G'day from Oz! :D

They boys made it over safely so I thought I'd add a few shots of them. Not exactly the glamorous palm tree lined beachy images you may expect from QLD, but they'll be out of quarantine soon so I'll pop some decent shots of them up when we get them home. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3105
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am
Location: Aalborg - Denmark

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Nino » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:17 am

wow tuskyns eyes are great looking!
>> Nino <<
Image

User avatar
wolfwannabe
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:40 am
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by wolfwannabe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:09 am

They are lovely and look so happy.

How long do they have to stay in quarantine? Hope you get to see them often, bet you can't wait to get them home.
Mel.

Zeus 10.02.2007 - 24.07.2012 Rest in peace my boy, you'll always be missed.

User avatar
TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 3273
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:56 am
Location: UK, East Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:21 am

happy to see you all got there, shame about the quarantine but they don't look too bothered by it. we'll look forward to pics beyond the quarantine fencing tho ;)
Image

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

User avatar
Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2736
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 am
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Katlin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:55 am

Good looking boy :D
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

User avatar
JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2535
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:35 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Re: Tuskyn

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:07 am

Congratulations on getting there, nice to see the dogs happy. I hope it is not too long before you can take them home. Now you just need a nice girl for him and the world Tamaskan take over can start :twisted:

User avatar
HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 4799
Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Princeton, TX US
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:03 pm

They're looking very lovely, can't wait for you to be able to take them home.
Image

User avatar
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Congrats on having the FIRST Tamaskan in Australia. :D
Those are nice pics... they seem quite relaxed despite being in quarantine.
Anyone who says 'importing a puppy is out of the question' should really re-think that option; after all, you imported two ADULT males. :)
Image
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

User avatar
Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Tuskietoes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:16 am

Nino wrote:wow tuskyns eyes are great looking!
Thanks Nino :)
wolfwannabe wrote:They are lovely and look so happy.

How long do they have to stay in quarantine? Hope you get to see them often, bet you can't wait to get them home.
Hiya - yeah they do look pretty chilled all things considered :) They have to be there for 30 days and unfortunately we can't visit them as they're in Sydney and we're in Brisbane - about a 10hr drive away. We've got a dog walker who is visiting them and playing with them (and taking the photos) so we're just about coping without them. I think if we did visit them they'd get all excited and think they were coming home, and then we'd have to leave them again. :( But we simply cant wait to get them home! Not long now :D
TerriHolt wrote:happy to see you all got there, shame about the quarantine but they don't look too bothered by it. we'll look forward to pics beyond the quarantine fencing tho ;)
Yeah they are doing okay, thank goodness! :) Tuskyn has lost a bit of weight but nothing too drastic. We fattened them up in anticipation so he's probably just slimming down to his original weight the little piggy :lol: I'll be sure to post pics when we get them home! :)
Boreal wrote:Good looking boy :D
Thanks! :D
JulieSmith wrote:Congratulations on getting there, nice to see the dogs happy. I hope it is not too long before you can take them home. Now you just need a nice girl for him and the world Tamaskan take over can start :twisted:
LOL!! I wish! He's neutered so doubtful that the world domination can really take hold!! :lol:
HiTenshi16 wrote:They're looking very lovely, can't wait for you to be able to take them home.
Thanks :D Yeah, we cannot wait!!
Sylvaen wrote:Congrats on having the FIRST Tamaskan in Australia. :D
Those are nice pics... they seem quite relaxed despite being in quarantine.
Anyone who says 'importing a puppy is out of the question' should really re-think that option; after all, you imported two ADULT males. :)
:lol: LOL! Cheers! He's an ambassador for the breed now so he'd better be on his best behaviour while he's here! :D

Yeah, we were really really worried about flying them, but they were absolutely fine. Plus there was no way that we were going without them. We would have turned down the opportunity to come here if it meant we couldn't take them with us. The paperword was a HUGE ordeal and took a lot of time... plus the cost to fly them over was insane, but thankfully my hubby's work covered the cost for us. It just meant we didn't have anything left in the relocation allowance to fly over all my shoes! ;)

We just can't wait to get them home now... not long to go! :D

User avatar
Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Gaby » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:28 am

What a beautiful boy and so nice the trip went okay for both of them.
How long should they be in quarantine? And you can visit them in there? Hope they will soon be with you!
Tuskietoes wrote:
JulieSmith wrote:Congratulations on getting there, nice to see the dogs happy. I hope it is not too long before you can take them home. Now you just need a nice girl for him and the world Tamaskan take over can start :twisted:
LOL!! I wish! He's neutered so doubtful that the world domination can really take hold!! :lol:
I'm just curious, why is he neutered? (Such a shame, you can't start world domination now.. :mrgreen: :lol: )

User avatar
Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Tuskietoes » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:53 am

Gaby wrote:What a beautiful boy and so nice the trip went okay for both of them.
How long should they be in quarantine? And you can visit them in there? Hope they will soon be with you!
Tuskietoes wrote:
JulieSmith wrote:Congratulations on getting there, nice to see the dogs happy. I hope it is not too long before you can take them home. Now you just need a nice girl for him and the world Tamaskan take over can start :twisted:
LOL!! I wish! He's neutered so doubtful that the world domination can really take hold!! :lol:
I'm just curious, why is he neutered? (Such a shame, you can't start world domination now.. :mrgreen: :lol: )
Hi Gaby - yeah, we had him neutered as we never had any intentions to breed from him. We were just looking for a pet, so he had his bits off as a matter of course...injections, microchipped, neutered etc etc. We do wonder if we maybe shouldn't have though as I'm sure he'd have sired some gorgeous pups...and of course could have been partly responsible for tamtastic world domination!! ;)

User avatar
Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2736
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 am
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Katlin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:48 pm

:lol: world domination. He is a stunning boy but good for you for neutering him :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Rahne

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Rahne » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Tuskyn looks lovely! :)
Boreal wrote::lol: world domination. He is a stunning boy but good for you for neutering him :)
Why is that good? I don't see any reason why a dog should be neutered even when it won't be used as a breeding dog unless it would be for medical reasons ;)

User avatar
Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 5208
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 3:53 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Sylvaen » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Rahne wrote:Why is that good? I don't see any reason why a dog should be neutered even when it won't be used as a breeding dog unless it would be for medical reasons ;)
I am of the opinion that if a dog is not FIT for breeding (failed hip score / cryptorchid / epilepsy in the bloodline / etc) then it should not be used for breeding, and thus castrated. So it's not exactly 'for medical reasons' but if a dog is not a suitable breeding dog then it should never have the opportunity to breed, and therefore neutering is the only responsible option.

If someone knows they will never want to breed their dogs, then chances are they won't bother with health testing (since it's not necessary to know if a non-breeding dog is a carrier of DM, for instance, and DNA profiling is a bit redundant, etc). Also, if they don't want to deal with dominance / hormonal issues (or a bitch in season) then it also makes sense to neuter, just so there are no 'oops' litters with a random neighborhood dog. Mostly people neuter mixbreed dogs - some people still view the Tamaskan as just a pretty mutt, while others see them as very rare (and potentially valuable) breeding dogs. There's no right or wrong answer, just personal opinion about what best suits YOUR particular family. ;)
Image
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Rahne

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Rahne » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
Rahne wrote:Why is that good? I don't see any reason why a dog should be neutered even when it won't be used as a breeding dog unless it would be for medical reasons ;)
I am of the opinion that if a dog is not FIT for breeding (failed hip score / cryptorchid / epilepsy in the bloodline / etc) then it should not be used for breeding, and thus castrated. So it's not exactly 'for medical reasons' but if a dog is not a suitable breeding dog then it should never have the opportunity to breed, and therefore neutering is the only responsible option.

If someone knows they will never want to breed their dogs, then chances are they won't bother with health testing (since it's not necessary to know if a non-breeding dog is a carrier of DM, for instance, and DNA profiling is a bit redundant, etc). Also, if they don't want to deal with dominance / hormonal issues (or a bitch in season) then it also makes sense to neuter, just so there are no 'oops' litters with a random neighborhood dog. Mostly people neuter mixbreed dogs - some people still view the Tamaskan as just a pretty mutt, while others see them as very rare (and potentially valuable) breeding dogs. There's no right or wrong answer, just personal opinion about what best suits YOUR particular family. ;)
Sorry but I don't agree with that. There is the option of vasectomy to make the dog infertile so it can't produce. The dog can keep its testicles and the hormones then and won't have the disadvantages of neutering, like fattening up and a bad coat and change of temperament.

User avatar
Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 1:08 am
Location: Groningen, the Netherlands

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Gaby » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:11 pm

@ Tuskietoes, I understand, I think he would have sired beautiful pups too! I love his eyes and expression. Hope you have them home soon. :)

And about castration, I agree with Rahne. Although I think that castration can be useful in some situations to accomplish a behavioural change.
Our dog Rhodin is also castrated. We had never the intention to breed with him, because he is deaf in one ear, his hips are very bad and he was obsessed with females from 8 months. If he smelled a bitch in heat he would run off and because we live in a place where there are many dogs and roads we where afraid he would hurt himself. And he was aggressive to other male dogs. It was hard to teach him anything because he was only busy with female dogs. Finally we castrated him when he was 14 months. After he was castrated he became more obsessive with food and training him got easier. Now he listens and we can come across almost any dog and he won't fight if we tell him not to. He didn't took off any more. I don't know if we could have accomplished that if we hadn't had him castrated, but we'll never know.

User avatar
Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Tuskietoes » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:23 am

Its really interesting how different owners have different opinions about neutering :) More often than not, in the UK, vets tend to recommend that all "pets" are neutered to prevent unwanted behaviour and potential health problems like prostate cancer later down the line. My husband (understandably!) was initially against getting our GSD neutered a few years ago but when our vet explained that by NOT neutering him, it would be like Kobe having all his bits and bobs in full working order, but NEVER ever being able to use them. With that in mind he figured neutering maybe wasn't such a bad thing since Kobe would never know what he'd be missing!! ;)

In the UK (and I'm speaking generally here - different owners have different opinions. My brother has had entire male English Mastiffs and wouldn't choose to neuter them) neutering is often seen as an important part of responsible pet ownership. We've had both of our boys done, and neither has had any adverse affects or problems as a result. They're both fit, healthy boys with great coats and fabulous temperaments. But it's each to their own and at the end of the day I guess we all do what we think is best for our fury friends :D

User avatar
jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:46 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Tuskyn

Post by jyotin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:50 am

I am totally against the idea of neutering a dog for "aggression" issues. If you are not prepared to deal with a possibly "aggressive" dog...then simply, don't get one. There are trainers out there (including mine) that can do WONDERS. My trainer has trained dogs that were on the brink of being put down due to their extremely aggressive nature...could never be around children or any other animal as would try and harm them...and they are now perfectly fine...thank god the owners came to my trainer as a last resort when everyone told them their only choice was euthanasia.

If you are worried that your dog will accidentally impregnant/get pregnant...WATCH them (sometimes neutering though in this case is an option if male female are living together). If they are "aggressive"...TRAIN them. If you don't have the energy, time, patience to do so...then don't get one. Surgery should only be done for health issues...never for the convenience of the owner.

I understand my opinion is not the same as everyone elses...but elective surgery to me is a big no no...just the possibility of an adverse outcome...sorry if I offended anyone :D
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

User avatar
jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:46 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Tuskyn

Post by jyotin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:22 am

BTW very handsome dog =)
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

Rahne

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Rahne » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:37 am

Tuskietoes wrote:Its really interesting how different owners have different opinions about neutering :) More often than not, in the UK, vets tend to recommend that all "pets" are neutered to prevent unwanted behaviour and potential health problems like prostate cancer later down the line. My husband (understandably!) was initially against getting our GSD neutered a few years ago but when our vet explained that by NOT neutering him, it would be like Kobe having all his bits and bobs in full working order, but NEVER ever being able to use them. With that in mind he figured neutering maybe wasn't such a bad thing since Kobe would never know what he'd be missing!! ;)

In the UK (and I'm speaking generally here - different owners have different opinions. My brother has had entire male English Mastiffs and wouldn't choose to neuter them) neutering is often seen as an important part of responsible pet ownership. We've had both of our boys done, and neither has had any adverse affects or problems as a result. They're both fit, healthy boys with great coats and fabulous temperaments. But it's each to their own and at the end of the day I guess we all do what we think is best for our fury friends :D
It's not that I'm against neutering, I know in some situations It can be for the better but I don't like the fact that many people/vets seem to think it's 'standard procedure'. There are also other options, like the vasectomy and for behavioral problems you should always try training first. In some cases the neutering can actually make those problems worse instead of less.
This wasn't intended at you personally, I know many people will just listen at what their vet tells them ;)

User avatar
Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)
Posts: 2736
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:48 am
Location: Calgary, AB
Contact:

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Katlin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:43 am

Sylvaen wrote:
Rahne wrote:Why is that good? I don't see any reason why a dog should be neutered even when it won't be used as a breeding dog unless it would be for medical reasons ;)
I am of the opinion that if a dog is not FIT for breeding (failed hip score / cryptorchid / epilepsy in the bloodline / etc) then it should not be used for breeding, and thus castrated. So it's not exactly 'for medical reasons' but if a dog is not a suitable breeding dog then it should never have the opportunity to breed, and therefore neutering is the only responsible option.
EXACTLY. I am one of those people that thinks "if they aren't used for breeding or are not fit for breeding they should be neutered" This is my opinion, not everyone agrees with me from what I can see but it does have its benefits over a vasectomy.

Accidents happen, for example a male happens to fail a hip score and gets out, then manages to mate successfully with a female. Personally I don't think that is worth taking the chance for. I neutered my dog, although he was showing quality he is a monorchid, therefore I didn't want to take the chance of "little Snoopies". I also grew up in a city who's animal bylaw is practically "FIX YOUR PETS". I think it was responsible to neuter Tuskyn.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Post Reply