Tuskyn

A place to share photos of your Tamaskan Dogs: puppies, adults, etc.
Rahne

Re: Tuskyn

Post by Rahne » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:50 am

Boreal wrote:
Sylvaen wrote:
Rahne wrote:Why is that good? I don't see any reason why a dog should be neutered even when it won't be used as a breeding dog unless it would be for medical reasons ;)
I am of the opinion that if a dog is not FIT for breeding (failed hip score / cryptorchid / epilepsy in the bloodline / etc) then it should not be used for breeding, and thus castrated. So it's not exactly 'for medical reasons' but if a dog is not a suitable breeding dog then it should never have the opportunity to breed, and therefore neutering is the only responsible option.
EXACTLY. I am one of those people that thinks "if they aren't used for breeding or are not fit for breeding they should be neutered" This is my opinion, not everyone agrees with me from what I can see but it does have its benefits over a vasectomy.

Accidents happen, for example a male happens to fail a hip score and gets out, then manages to mate successfully with a female. Personally I don't think that is worth taking the chance for. I neutered my dog, although he was showing quality he is a monorchid, therefore I didn't want to take the chance of "little Snoopies". I also grew up in a city who's animal bylaw is practically "FIX YOUR PETS". I think it was responsible to neuter Tuskyn.
You didn't read about the vasectomy? If you do a vasectomy then the dog will be INFERTILE so there is no way he could make puppies then! I don't see what benefits neutering has?

jyotin
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by jyotin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:58 am

Rahne I really agree with you.
Think about it this way...men who don't want to have children...do they chop off their boys or get a vasectomy...they get a Vasectomy! lol....so why be extra cruel and make your beloved pets suffer the latter.
"Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man"
--Arthur Schopenhauer

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:03 am

it is standard in the uk and considered responsible pet ownership if you are not intending to breed. if you go to the vets, no other option is offered... at all and i strongly disagree with even if you are not going to breed, don't do it...
Rahne wrote: You didn't read about the vasectomy? If you do a vasectomy then the dog will be INFERTILE so there is no way he could make puppies then! I don't see what benefits neutering has?
i'm not even sure my vets would do this??? neutering is the only thing they will inform you of, if they offer other options, surely they would tell you??? i may go ask them just to see what they say now :lol:

i think i inserted the wrong quote :oops: but it was a lot of looking and i'm in a rush :lol:

my landlord's wife more or less told me i WILL be getting him done so i TOLD her its none of her business... the point is, don't know about the rest of the uk but dogs with bits round hear gets frowns and staires and choice words... i have a short fuse so if lynn hadn't expressed interest in using him, he would be done (for the safety of the public :lol: (i hate people telling me what to do with something that has no concern for them )...

everyone has different views on this and it's upto who ever is the decision maker. i do believe that Rahne is trying to push their views a bit too hard because no matter how many times you say the word "vasectomy", it will not change the grief i'm going to get while walking sam... i alone will have to deal with that so it will mean, more often than not taking sam to places where no one goes. but that will not do him any good... so like i said, if lynn hadn't expressed interest in using him, he would be done.

but that is my opinion and the ignorant place i live in... others may be not of the same...

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:12 am

Im not against neutering and im not for it. Me, I wouldnt have a dog neutered, but them im a breeder so I see things differently that everyone else, so guess I should stay out of it ;)

I do think some people could do with being neutered, our friend Kevin for a start ;)
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:29 am

blufawn wrote:
I do think some people could do with being neutered, our friend Kevin for a start ;)
i have a whole list of people who could do with being neutered :lol:

just curious but, shouldn't this be moved to "breeding" or something? :lol: , we have spammed pictures.

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:38 am

jyotin wrote:I am totally against the idea of neutering a dog for "aggression" issues. If you are not prepared to deal with a possibly "aggressive" dog...then simply, don't get one. There are trainers out there (including mine) that can do WONDERS. My trainer has trained dogs that were on the brink of being put down due to their extremely aggressive nature...could never be around children or any other animal as would try and harm them...and they are now perfectly fine...thank god the owners came to my trainer as a last resort when everyone told them their only choice was euthanasia.

If you are worried that your dog will accidentally impregnant/get pregnant...WATCH them (sometimes neutering though in this case is an option if male female are living together). If they are "aggressive"...TRAIN them. If you don't have the energy, time, patience to do so...then don't get one. Surgery should only be done for health issues...never for the convenience of the owner.

I understand my opinion is not the same as everyone elses...but elective surgery to me is a big no no...just the possibility of an adverse outcome...sorry if I offended anyone :D
Yes, I agree with that, I hope I don't look like somebody who thought that after castration you don't have to train any more. ;)
So a little explanation about our situation, I have to say I underestimated the bloodlines our dog Rhodin (Catahoula) came out. We probably should never take him, but that is afterwards. ;) We found out that his father was rehomed after we had our dog and the new owner of his father did behavioural tests. This dog was very unpredictable and aggressive, not like the breed should be and not expectable for breeding at all. All Catahoula breeders stay away from dogs from the kennel where our dog came from because of aggression issue's. Off course we didn't know that at the time we took our dog. Also our dog came with us at the age of 6 months and was only used to live in a kennel, his owner didn't do anything with him, he wasn't socialized at all and his fear turned in aggression very soon after we got him. There are about 50 of these dogs in the Netherlands and half of them are rehomed because of severe aggression. After six months of training we decided to castrate him under supervision of a dog behaviourist and trainer, discussed it with different vets and then made the decision. So it's not that we just let him be castrated and thought it would go better, it was hard work training him and we still do. ;) Now we have him 2,5 years and I'm very pleased with him. He listens very well and does what I say, if he shows aggression it's predictable now, like in the dark to male strangers. He behaved at his worst when we picked up Mila with Karsten and Kirsten, Jenny probably thought what terrible things could happen with her little puppy when we put them together. :lol: But it was a reason not to take the same breed again and go for a more sociable breed and now we have Mila. :D Maybe in the future, after good preparation.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:39 am

TerriHolt wrote: just curious but, shouldn't this be moved to "breeding" or something? :lol: , we have spammed pictures.
Dont ask me to do it, I deleted the whole topic last time. Best wait for Debby to get back ;)
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:55 am

blufawn wrote:
TerriHolt wrote: just curious but, shouldn't this be moved to "breeding" or something? :lol: , we have spammed pictures.
Dont ask me to do it, I deleted the whole topic last time. Best wait for Debby to get back ;)

:lol: , good point. it can stay there...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:06 am

Sorry! :oops: :lol:

Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tuskietoes » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:32 pm

TerriHolt wrote:
blufawn wrote: just curious but, shouldn't this be moved to "breeding" or something? :lol: , we have spammed pictures.
LOL! :lol: Good thing he doesn't know that people are talking about his "bits" (or lack there of!) on his picture page! Hopefully Debby will be back and can rearrange things before he comes out of quarantine. I'll not mention it to him ;)

Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tuskietoes » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:16 am

As promised, here are some shots of the boys now that they've settled into life Down Under! They're having a blast! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:23 am

Lovely photos. They do look very happy.

Vroni
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Vroni » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:24 am

Wow wonderful pictures!!! :-)
My Tamaskan Jack
ImageImage

My Shiba Inu Jim
ImageImage

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:57 am

great photos!!!! :D :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:08 am

Great pics Ali .... Im jealous :D

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Great pics and looks like they are having great fun!

P.S Can you send some of that sunshine this way please :lol:
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:41 pm

Brilliant photos :D They look like they really are having a blast!

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Awesome pics :P and you have a very handsome dog :D

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Wow, what a nice place! Great pics :D

Mylingen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Mylingen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Brilliant pics! Tuskyn is so beautiful.
Looks like they're having heaps of fun! :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:57 pm

those are great pics, looks nice there :P

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

JoshC
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by JoshC » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:08 pm

great pictures Looks fun

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Great pictures, they made me smile :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

CSpiker86
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by CSpiker86 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:42 pm

great pictures :D they look like there having lots of fun

Tuskietoes
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Tuskietoes » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Cheers guys! They are indeed having a great time down here They love paddling in the sea but I like to keep a close eye out for dorsal fins!!

Sending sunshine and blue skies to you all :)

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:19 pm

OMG ....sharks of course! and I thought I had probs with wolves living over in Finland :lol:

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:14 am

Watch out for box jellies... they can be as small as your finger nail and you'll have a screaming dog for days or could kill them if stung multiple times.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:04 am

AZDehlin wrote:Watch out for box jellies... they can be as small as your finger nail and you'll have a screaming dog for days or could kill them if stung multiple times.
They are scary as hell!

(and people look at me funny when I tell that one of the only "animals" I am afraid of is Jellies!.. but I'm really terrified of them :oops: )
>> Nino <<

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Fabulous! Such joy and abandon.
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

melanie
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by melanie » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:29 pm

He is very handsome and he loves the camera xx