Jasper (Rough Collie) and Django (Bengal cat)

A place to share photos of your other pets: dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, horses, reptiles, etc.
Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Jasper (Rough Collie) and Django (Bengal cat)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:38 pm

On one of the old forums I had pictures posted of Jasper but I don't think I have posted any on this one! He's my lovely 3 year old Rough Collie.

Here is Jasper and myself doing the "weave" trick

And here Jasper is doing "take that dog" (He goes and picks up another dog's leash and brings it back to me)

And a few pics of my Bengal, Django (AKA Monster)

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Re: Jasper photos (Rough Collie)

Post by TParham86 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:40 pm

Lovely dog and I LOVE your cat :D ;) That's a big kitty :P like the size of a small dog right? :D Very Cute ;)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:56 pm

Both your furbabies are beautiful! :D

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:22 pm

TParham86 wrote:Lovely dog and I LOVE your cat :D ;) That's a big kitty :P like the size of a small dog right? :D Very Cute ;)
He is pretty big for a cat! You might be thinking Savannah cats, they are actually really tall. Bengals are more muscular - he looks about the size of a normal BIG cat but he weighs about 3 times as much (solid muscle). People are always really shocked when they pick him up!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Jasper (Rough Collie) and Django (Bengal cat)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:23 pm

as a kid i watched lassie many, many times and always wanted one... but the long hair put me off :oops: :lol: bengal is on my "to get" list ;) looks lovely :P

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 pm

great pics :D

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:46 am

BEASTLY cat! Looks awesome! And stunning dog! I've never had to deal with a RC collie, just their miniature counter-part, the sheltie, and they are such funny little buggars :)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:40 am

considering getting a helper dog that can go get Sølve for me :lol:
>> Nino <<

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Kootenaywolf wrote:
TParham86 wrote:Lovely dog and I LOVE your cat :D ;) That's a big kitty :P like the size of a small dog right? :D Very Cute ;)
He is pretty big for a cat! You might be thinking Savannah cats, they are actually really tall. Bengals are more muscular - he looks about the size of a normal BIG cat but he weighs about 3 times as much (solid muscle). People are always really shocked when they pick him up!

He is beautyful :D

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:58 pm

They are both very pretty! And I want to teach "take that dog" too, that would be handy! :lol:

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:39 am

Thanks everyone!

The hair is really surprisingly not ALL that bad, Jasper mostly just sheds once a year in the spring (okay, it's a lot of fur...) but through the rest of the year he doesn't shed much and once a week grooming seems quite sufficient for keeping his coat in nice condition.

Haha! Yes the "take that dog" trick can definitely come in handy I'm sure! I haven't actually used it in a real-life situation but one of my teachers has border collies and he once had his dog catch another dog that had bolted! Jasper is maybe not as fast as a border collie though, to run down another dog ;) he can be a little lazy!

Shelties are awesome, I had one growing up, she was an amazing dog who seemed to just train herself. They are the best trick dogs!

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:59 pm

Wonderful cat, but my first love is your rough collie, makes me go want one. We had a Sheltie and then a rough collie when growing up, the sheltie was a bit neurotic and went blind when she was 4, but a fantastic little dog all the same. I never thought the fur was a problem, once she had finished her spring moult that is. We were a bit lazy with grooming, but that did not seem to matter a quick brush every now and then did the trick. The only part that ever got matted was the soft fur just behind the ears. Saga is far worse for loosing fur than the collie ever was. I think that because they are a working dog, their fur is not designed to need too much maintenance and the mud just drops of them as well. They are just fantastic dogs, they were the dog of choice before finding the Tamaskan.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:20 am

Lovely pics of lovely animals :D

CSpiker86
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by CSpiker86 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Your pets are lovely! an such a beautiful cat! I hope to own a savannah some day :D

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:56 am

Thanks!

Savannahs are really amazing, I'm definitely keeping my eye on the breed - I'd love to have one someday! I LOVE Safari cats as well but they are extremely rare (and soooo expensive...well, I guess Savannahs are pretty up there in price as well!). I doubt I will ever have that much money to spend on a cat, but I'd so love to!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:45 am

i was interested in Savannahs for a while but i kept reading that they had to grow up with a cat for them to accept them, if you brought a kitten into a home it could cause them to bully the kitten and cause fighting between cats later in life... have no idea at all if it's true or not but not wanting to risk it i decided to go with the bengal within the next few years :D what are safari cats? i'm keeping an eye on toyger's (mum promised to get me a tiger when she won the lottery but she never won :( so a toyger it will be :lol: ) or i want a 4ft leopard, ashera

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:19 pm

TerriHolt wrote:i was interested in Savannahs for a while but i kept reading that they had to grow up with a cat for them to accept them, if you brought a kitten into a home it could cause them to bully the kitten and cause fighting between cats later in life... have no idea at all if it's true or not but not wanting to risk it i decided to go with the bengal within the next few years :D what are safari cats? i'm keeping an eye on toyger's (mum promised to get me a tiger when she won the lottery but she never won :( so a toyger it will be :lol: ) or i want a 4ft leopard, ashera
Hmm, I don't know if that's true about Savannahs. I know that Django has had a bit of a hard time accepting the new kitten I just got this summer - well, not exactly a hard time, he's just a very intense cat so all his interactions are intense, he plays VERY rough and bites really hard, so it's just a bit much for a kitten who's much smaller than him!! So I've had to keep an eye on them but it's getting better (and as the kitten Wasabi gets older and bigger I don't worry so much). Django actually really likes Wasabi, he just sometimes has a hard time expressing his affection without his teeth ;)

Safari cats are are a hybrid between Geoffroy's cats and domestic cats. They are gorgeous but SO rare, there are only a few breeders worldwide and I think they are very hard to breed. Toygers are sooo cute, I'm interested to see how they develop as a breed. I've read that Asheras are actually mostly a mix of Bengal and Savannah, with the price jacked up - but I don't know!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:49 pm

Kootenaywolf wrote:
TerriHolt wrote:i was interested in Savannahs for a while but i kept reading that they had to grow up with a cat for them to accept them, if you brought a kitten into a home it could cause them to bully the kitten and cause fighting between cats later in life... have no idea at all if it's true or not but not wanting to risk it i decided to go with the bengal within the next few years :D what are safari cats? i'm keeping an eye on toyger's (mum promised to get me a tiger when she won the lottery but she never won :( so a toyger it will be :lol: ) or i want a 4ft leopard, ashera
Hmm, I don't know if that's true about Savannahs. I know that Django has had a bit of a hard time accepting the new kitten I just got this summer - well, not exactly a hard time, he's just a very intense cat so all his interactions are intense, he plays VERY rough and bites really hard, so it's just a bit much for a kitten who's much smaller than him!! So I've had to keep an eye on them but it's getting better (and as the kitten Wasabi gets older and bigger I don't worry so much). Django actually really likes Wasabi, he just sometimes has a hard time expressing his affection without his teeth ;)

Safari cats are are a hybrid between Geoffroy's cats and domestic cats. They are gorgeous but SO rare, there are only a few breeders worldwide and I think they are very hard to breed. Toygers are sooo cute, I'm interested to see how they develop as a breed. I've read that Asheras are actually mostly a mix of Bengal and Savannah, with the price jacked up - but I don't know!
yeah, i saw that too, but how would you get a Bengal and Savannah to 4ft? more leopard than supposed to have maybe? well i'll be getting a bengal within the next year or 2 and the ashera will get looked into more because it will be that or the toyger (i'm suspecting toyger :D ) but i want to wait to see how the toyger develops.

safari cats aound awesome too... i'm gonna need a bigger house :D

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:34 am

Yeah not sure how the Ashera got so big. Early generation Savannahs can be really big but I guess not 4 ft!

It seems like a lot of the toygers I have seen still look a little like tabbies, but there are a few that are getting there with the head shape and overall look. Have you come across any that are really tiger-like?

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 am

not really, they started to get the nose shape... sorta i guess :lol: thats why i'm not rushing into getting those yet nd are on my watch list... they are just expensive tabbys at the minute. i really hope they can do it tho... the 2nd thing i've been excited about developing... one day i will have a house with a wolf, a tiger and a leopard all co exsisting hapily together :D (i really do need a bigger house :lol: )

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:34 pm

Love all the new cat breeds, just had to Google most of them :lol: I am not much of a cat person, but could go the spotty ones and the toyger once it looks more tigery. I like the idea of a house with a wolf, tiger and leopard in, I need a bigger house and something to convince my husband that it is a good idea :lol:

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:18 am

Yeah I'm loving the hybrid cats as well! I didn't THINK I was a cat person, but then I got Django...and he is quite doglike in a lot of ways. But then we found 7 kittens dumped by the roadside, fostered them for the summer and, well, of course I ended up keeping one! He is the sweetest little thing ever. Django is affectionate, but on his own terms, and he won't let anyone else except me hold him. But Wasabi, the little rescue, is the floppiest little guy ever, you can pick him up and he just goes totally boneless. So they are a good combo...Django is beautiful, very entertaining, such a funny character, crazy-athletic/acrobatic, and Wasabi is very cuddly and affectionate.
Here is Wasabi:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:39 am

Wasabi is cute, reminds me of my Bagheera who is also very cuddly and affectionate :)

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:25 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:Wasabi is cute, reminds me of my Bagheera who is also very cuddly and affectionate :)

He does look like Bagheera :D So cute!!!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:20 pm

cute kitty... a panther in the mix of stripey, spotty and wolfy :D

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:46 am

Cute kitty! I regret that I didn't have my Nikon (actually...I don't think I owned a camera) when Meeko was a kitten (he is now 10).
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:10 am

Very cute, I like black cats they always remind me of little panthers. I think I just have a secret yearning to have a zoo, but since that is not practical then I will settle for domestic lookalikes :lol: At least I can cuddle my 'wolf' :lol:

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Hehe! Yeah I have always loved all-black shorthaired kitties, and when we found the litter of 7 this summer, there was just one who looked like that. As it turned out, he had by far the temperament that I liked best, so it worked out really well :D

Oh and those photos are a bit funny/blurry - our camera fell in the ocean and the good lens got wrecked, so all we have on it is this huge telephoto lens that doesn't auto focus so it's realllllly reallly hard to get clear photos!

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:48 am

:lol: I love the one with Jasper picking up the other dog's leash. It's like he's trying to walk someone else's companion after learning it from you! :lol:

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:38 pm

fangjingtuanlucas wrote::lol: I love the one with Jasper picking up the other dog's leash. It's like he's trying to walk someone else's companion after learning it from you! :lol:
Thanks, yeah it's cute :) It is actually a trick of his - he retrieves the leash of a loose dog and brings it back to me. Might come in handy some day...!

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:09 pm

Kootenaywolf wrote:
fangjingtuanlucas wrote::lol: I love the one with Jasper picking up the other dog's leash. It's like he's trying to walk someone else's companion after learning it from you! :lol:
Thanks, yeah it's cute :) It is actually a trick of his - he retrieves the leash of a loose dog and brings it back to me. Might come in handy some day...!
:lol: Oh I hope so :!: Imagine how many lost dogs your Jasper will be rescuing! :D

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:56 pm

My friend who is a professional photographer was visiting last week and took some photos of Jasper and I that turned out quite nicely :) thought I'd share them!

And here's a photo of my handsome guy that my boyfriend took with our semi-broken camera (it was working well that day)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:00 pm

All great photos. Honestly, I really like the last photo best :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:14 pm

Gorgeous Collie! I like the one with him staring into the unknown (1st pic) in a serious-looking pose

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:25 pm

So adorable! Love you crew :)
Katurah

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Gorgeous shots! You're very pretty ;)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:26 pm

beautiful pictures of you both :P

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:47 am

Thanks everyone! :D

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:56 am

I like your Rough Collie very much! In Holland I see a lot of Collies from the English type, which I don't like as much as the American type. Their eyes and heads are too small and they have way too much fur for me. Jasper is perfect! For me exactly the way a Collie should look like. Nice round eyes, a lovely expression, and I think his coat is beautiful. :D

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Gaby wrote:I like your Rough Collie very much! In Holland I see a lot of Collies from the English type, which I don't like as much as the American type. Their eyes and heads are too small and they have way too much fur for me. Jasper is perfect! For me exactly the way a Collie should look like. Nice round eyes, a lovely expression, and I think his coat is beautiful. :D
Thank you! Yes I really like his look as well, in fact I don't even see many collies around here who look like him. It was basically luck that I chose him too, he was from a sort of back yard breeder type, but I'm very pleased with how he has turned out! He really has the "Lassie" look :lol:

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Lovely photos, makes me want a collie again, I might have to get one as my next dog.

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:35 am

You have a beautiful family :P Nice pic of you and your Collie :D