Ferrets, dogs, cats, and more!

A place to share photos of your other pets: dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, horses, reptiles, etc.
blackrose
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Ferrets, dogs, cats, and more!

Post by blackrose » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:59 am

Thought I'd share some pictures of my personal little zoo! There'll be lots of photos, so I apologize in advance. ^^

First, my girl Chloe. She's a 4.5 year old Australian Shepherd/Collie mix. She's a bit of a brat and has some mental stability issues that have been a work in progress since day one, but she's improved loads and is now just a somewhat bitchy companion. She's a great girl, though, and I love her to pieces.
(The little black dog in the picture is Cynder, my boyfriend's dog.)

Apollo is "my" cat, although when I get my own place he will likely be staying with my mom. He was a bottle baby rescue and I've had him since he was two days old. He's 1.5 years now. Hard to believe that something like this:

Has turned into something like this:

My mom also has a cat, who was rescued from our neighbor's woodpile. She was orphaned at about 4 weeks of age. She's evil, but adores my mom.

*more*
~*~My furkids: Chloe (dog), Dameon (ferret), Cid (dwarf hamster) ~*~
~*~ The Other Half: Cynder, Cooper, Gracie (dogs), Choco, Bees (rats) ~*~
~*~Family critters: Rose (dog), Apollo, Mikey, Penelope, Mitzi, Lilly (cats) ~*~
Gone, but never forgotten. We'll miss you.
Blackie: 1/18/96-3/9/10 * Casey: 1/26/05-11/1/10 * Ruben: 12/4/06 - 9/22/11 * Rinnie: 12/4/07-5/23/12

blackrose
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Ferrets, dogs, cats, and more!

Post by blackrose » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:59 am

We also have a myriad of outdoor cats. Our neighbors have barn cats that they didn't bother to alter, and we've had quite a few come down to our place when they realized we offered attention, food without competition, and warm shelter. We started off with two, but then Penelope (the mother/grandmother/whatever of all of the cats) showed up and when I took her in for her spay I realized I was too late, so she gave birth to a litter of four kittens. We rehomed one and kept the other three, so we currently have five outdoor cats.

Mikey, one of the kittens. He is a big baby who LOVES to cuddle:

Lilly, another kitten. She's very vocal, very loving, and a very good mouser:

JJ, the fat and chubby kitten. We thought he was going to be anti-social as he hated people as a baby (even though we handled him every day), but now he is an attention whore:

The litter when they were babies:

Mitzi, a kitten from Penelope's very first litter. She obviously started off as a neighbor cat, but then last winter decided she liked us better. We're happy to have her, as she is a sweetie.

And Penelope, the one who started it all. She's affectionate, but doesn't really liked to be touched by anyone but me. She definitely doesn't seek out attention. Great momma, though, although now she's been spayed and won't be having anymore babies!

*more*
~*~Family critters: Rose (dog), Apollo, Mikey, Penelope, Mitzi, Lilly (cats) ~*~
Blackie: 1/18/96-3/9/10 * Casey: 1/26/05-11/1/10 * Ruben: 12/4/06 - 9/22/11 * Rinnie: 12/4/07-5/23/12

blackrose
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by blackrose » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:00 am

I also have two ferrets. I started off with two, Casey and Dameon, that I've had since they were kits. Casey passed away last in 2010, so I adopted two more ferrets in December of last year, Rinnie and Ruben. Ruben just recently passed away due to a spinal tumor, so I'm down to just Rinnie and Dameon now. Dameon was just diagnosed with insulinoma, but so far the prednisone is keeping his glucose levels in check. He'll be six in January, but I'm hoping he won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Dameon is the blonde, Rinnie is the sable with the speckled nose:

Last but not least, my mom's two dogs. Rose, the Lab mutt, just turned 13 years old. We've had her since she was a pup. Cora, the Lab/Border Collie mix, is around seven months old right now and we just adopted her about three weeks ago. At first they weren't so sure about one another, but now they're best buds and Rose is so much happier now with a doggy friend around. (Her dad - our first dog - Blackie, had to be euthanized last March at 14 due to cancer, and she's missed having a buddy. She and Chloe hate each other with a passion.)

That's all! Quite a crew, if I do say so myself. I've also owned Guinea pigs, mice, hamsters, gerbils, budgies, and a crested gecko, too, but they have all since passed on. We've also had quite a few foster dogs over the recent years, but luckily they have all found wonderful homes. The most recent was this handsome stud of a boy. We had him for three months, and then we were finally able to find him the perfect home and he is SUCH a happy man now:

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:42 am

WOW :shock: you have quite the family :O I love the look of all the cats, but I must say your pittie is stunning. Very nice!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:09 am

I envy anyone who can spend so much time with a big fur family ;) (I'm so tired of working in retail!)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:33 am

wow :shock: , thats an awesome family :P

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

CSpiker86
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by CSpiker86 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:04 am

:shock: wow :D Awesome fur family!!

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:13 pm

I love your fur family :D My sister and I too once owned ferrets, Vinnie and Vito were there names...awesome pets!!! :D :D They both since passed away though :(

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:41 pm

great photos - you have a lot of nice pets :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

claireyclaire
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by claireyclaire » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:48 pm

quite a zoo!
“You can take the dog out of the Wolf Pack, But you can't take the Wolf Pack out of the dog"

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:49 pm

wow love all your fur babies :D :D :D

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 pm

Wow lots of lovely fur babies, must keep you busy, but I bet there is never a dull moment with them all

blackrose
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by blackrose » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:49 am

Thanks, guys! They really are all a hoot and keep me on my toes. A lot of people balk when I see how many animals we have, but really, I don't think we'd have it any other way. They really aren't that hard to upkeep and they definitely provide a lot of companionship. :)

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:31 am

Compared to that, my house is empty!!
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Dozer
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Dozer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:44 pm

I know this is an old topic but I just read it and so is for me a new one :oops:
I really like the looks of a ferret
But I never had one and been always afraid of them. Not really afraid but carefull. Don't know how to explain it right but in my mind they somewhere do me think of rats.
How are they in behaviour?

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:23 am

Lucky! You MUST be a very busy person to be raising all these cute and furry friends :D
I really love the one with your Apollo as a tiny cub bottle feeding.