ANCD puppy Yarrow

A place to share photos of your other pets: dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, horses, reptiles, etc.
Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: ANCD puppy Yarrow

Post by Tiantai » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:36 am

AZDehlin wrote:When I was doing screening for my ANCD Anne wanted to make sure I had a six foot fence with a anti dig parameter... An electric fence wouldn't work with my tamaskan for sure he is too strong headed and determined, not so sure it would work with my ANCD either.
One Siberian Husky smashed right through her electric fence and then went on a long trip to pilfer a rawhide bone from a supermarket miles away. I would prefer a tall fence like one that is 8 ft but even THAT may not be enough depending on the dog's personality and determination to escape. A certain Alusky I know managed to run up and right over an 11 ft tall fence in the past. :lol:

kcyin1569
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kcyin1569 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:49 am

Wow! That's impressive! Well, I have a nice, big yard with some forest and a little bit of swamp parts, so my dogs are usually pretty happy exploring around because there's always something new to find. I think I would get a large fence though, I personally like the look of it better. I like the concept of an electric fence, but I haven't heard a lot of good reports on it. My mom was looking into it, so I thought it was worth asking!
When the wolves cry
to the Blue Corn Moon,
When they howl at
the passing of mountains,
When their gold eyes
pierce your mind and soul,
When you become one
with the wolf within,
then I will love you.

Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cornelia1986 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:47 am

The electric fence thing can turn out really bad. I'm a Victoria Stilwell fan, in one of her television series the owner of a Boxer also build up an electric fence. The result was that the Boxer became afraid of the garden. If a puppy (I think some Tamaskans are really sensitive in time of the socialization period) gets hit with this electric shock it maybe influence your bond in a negative way... I could only guess as I'm not a Tamaskan owner jet...
There once was a wolf-
a wolf lonlier than the mountains

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:17 pm

I hate electric fences, if I were a dog and I got shocked over and over in the yard, I'd become afraid too. That said the fence depends on the dog, better safe than sorry but Wylie has yet to even look at the 3 foot fence at the back (it's 2 sides of 6 feet and one side of 2 feet). I watch him closely, but he knows not to try to escape.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:52 pm

kcyin1569 wrote:
Kootenaywolf wrote:
Wow! He's a big boy! Are his littermates around the same size as him?

I've been doing a lot of research on this breed, and I'm very keen on getting one in the near future (if finances permit). I have a standard poodle and a schnoodle, so I'm not very familiar with what big-dog-needs are, and more specifically ANCD needs. How much food does he eat a day? How big is his crate? What kind of toys would you recommend, and how long do you think they will last? Would you recommend an ANCD for an electric fence (I don't have an electric fence, but I might get one soon for my other two dogs)?

I asked Ann, but she hasn't gotten to me yet. She's a busy woman, as far as I can tell.
I think his littermates are pretty similar in size...and Katelyn's Noque is probably going to be even bigger!

He eats maybe 5 or 6 cups of food a day (high quality grain free). His crates is pretty much the biggest I can find - XXL! I got one XL and it is too small. He hasn't been that hard on toys, I have all sorts of different ones and the only ones he's destroyed are stuffies and most dogs destroy those!

I'm assuming you mean an underground fence when you say electric? Or do you mean an actual electric fence? I wouldn't call Yarrow particularly stubborn or willful. But I think I real fence (at least 6 feet tall) would probably be a better idea.

kcyin1569
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kcyin1569 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Wow, that's big! And a lot of food! I use high-quality grain-free too because both of my dogs have sensitive digestive systems too, and it's better in general for the dog.

I meant an underground electric fence, but either have the same/similar result, so I tend to think of them as the same (except one in above ground and one is beneath). I didn't mean that Yarrow is like that, and sorry if I offended you! I've just observed that ANCDs and Tamaskans are very smart, and some can figure out how to get out to go exploring on their own. I've only observed, I don't really have any experience, so I'm sorry if any information and observation is incorrect in any way!
When the wolves cry
to the Blue Corn Moon,
When they howl at
When their gold eyes
When you become one
with the wolf within,
then I will love you.

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:36 pm

kcyin1569 wrote:Wow, that's big! And a lot of food! I use high-quality grain-free too because both of my dogs have sensitive digestive systems too, and it's better in general for the dog.

I meant an underground electric fence, but either have the same/similar result, so I tend to think of them as the same (except one in above ground and one is beneath). I didn't mean that Yarrow is like that, and sorry if I offended you! I've just observed that ANCDs and Tamaskans are very smart, and some can figure out how to get out to go exploring on their own. I've only observed, I don't really have any experience, so I'm sorry if any information and observation is incorrect in any way!
Oh no not offended at all! I don't even think that you said ANCDs were stubbord or willful. But Yarrow is mostly a pretty relaxed guy and doesn't seem to be much of an escape artist. Of course, I spend almost 100% of my time with him and he get a lot of physical and mental stimulation, so that is probably part of it!

I just measured how much food I give him a day (I use a scoop that's not a real cup) and it is 5 cups, or perhaps just under.

kcyin1569
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by kcyin1569 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:59 pm

Okay, phew! Exercise isn't a problem, thankfully. My schedule allows me to walk my dogs at least 4 times a day, and if for whatever reason I can't, I trained them for treadmill (ex. if I'm sick). Of course I don't let them go on the treadmill without being supervised, but I find it nice, especially if I can't leave the house for any particular reason.

Wow! That's a lot of food! That's the amount both my dogs eat a day combined (then again, you put them together and that's about as big as Yarrow). I should put some pictures up to show you my dogs!
When the wolves cry
to the Blue Corn Moon,
When they howl at
When their gold eyes
When you become one
with the wolf within,
then I will love you.

rorlando21
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by rorlando21 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:42 am

Who was the breeder you got him from, he is such a handsome dog.

Annie
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Annie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:28 pm

Hello!

I´ve read all information you had tell about your beautiful dog Yarrow.
It´s almost incredible that a dog like this ( wolf much alike) is so gentle, trainable,not that stubornl, not tend to dominance or agression,
I need to say BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!!!!
Can you tell me where in EU are breeders of this breed?
You see, I always adored wolf alike dogs, like Chezchs, tamaskans, ssaarlos, but when I have seen your dog, just waaaaaw, the most beautiful dog in this world :P
Are all dogs from this breed easy to train?

I mean I have exepriences, with samoyeds, huskies, german shepherds from animal shelters - I´ve worked with them) so
I have a lot of expeeriecses with dogs, I understand their behavour and LOVE to work with agressive or shy dogs. ( Had a lot of experiences) Allthough I´m only 18, I LIVE FOR DOGS.

Please tell me about kennels of these dogs and what is the price? IT IS OVER 1000?

THANK YOU :)

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:08 pm

These dogs only have one breeder (Ann) in the USA, there are ANCD's in the EU but no breeders yet.

As for temperment, I don't own one. Both AZdehlin and Kootenaywolf do though so try pming them.
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Annie
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Annie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:42 pm

Ohh, that´s such a shame, I realy hope in few years it would be more of these dogs here.

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:11 pm

Annie wrote:Hello!

I´ve read all information you had tell about your beautiful dog Yarrow.
It´s almost incredible that a dog like this ( wolf much alike) is so gentle, trainable,not that stubornl, not tend to dominance or agression,
I need to say BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!!!!
Can you tell me where in EU are breeders of this breed?
You see, I always adored wolf alike dogs, like Chezchs, tamaskans, ssaarlos, but when I have seen your dog, just waaaaaw, the most beautiful dog in this world :P
Are all dogs from this breed easy to train?

I mean I have exepriences, with samoyeds, huskies, german shepherds from animal shelters - I´ve worked with them) so
I have a lot of expeeriecses with dogs, I understand their behavour and LOVE to work with agressive or shy dogs. ( Had a lot of experiences) Allthough I´m only 18, I LIVE FOR DOGS.

Please tell me about kennels of these dogs and what is the price? IT IS OVER 1000?

THANK YOU :)
Yes, like Katlin said, there's only the one breeder at the moment, though there will eventually be breeders elsewhere I'm sure :)

Yarrow is a sweet dog but he definitely has his (massive) challenges, so there are still kinks to be worked out in the breed. If you do have more specific questions, feel free to message me!

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:37 pm

Since I'm here, I figured I'd do a little Yarrow photo update :) He's 2 1/2 now. There will be some photos of him looking very scraggly in his summer coat, he is just beginning to get a fuller coat again now.

The product of one grooming this spring :lol:

Starting to look scrawny

Silly summer coat

He hates bugs

Kisses for my boyfriend

Hugs for me!

Ok, that's probably enough!

Tana
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Tana » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:57 pm

Hehe Tana also hates bugs. Awesome photos.

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:25 am

Handsome handsome boy! Still can't get enough looking at his photos :D

Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Lynwae » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:26 am

We some some updates here too ;)

nyodenyo
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by nyodenyo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Gosh *3* ♡♡

Kootenaywolf
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Kootenaywolf » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:22 pm

Lynwae wrote:We some some updates here too ;)
Hah! Yes of course! I meant to but I guess I didn't get around to it when I did Onyx's update!

So some new photos of Yarrow :) He'll be 4 in February (already!!). He's still his funny quirky sweet self ;)

Photos from the past year or so.

A little photoshoot with my sister

Just starting his spring shed

Scrawny summer time boy

TONS of photos, wow. I guess I take a lot of pictures in a year!

Yekaterina
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Yekaterina » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Kootenaywolf wrote:Since I'm here, I figured I'd do a little Yarrow photo update :) He's 2 1/2 now. There will be some photos of him looking very scraggly in his summer coat, he is just beginning to get a fuller coat again now.

The product of one grooming this spring :lol:

Starting to look scrawny

Silly summer coat

He hates bugs

Kisses for my boyfriend

Hugs for me!

Ok, that's probably enough!