Meet Kai the silver fox! :)

A place to share photos of your other pets: dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, horses, reptiles, etc.
Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Meet Kai the silver fox! :)

Post by Luccistar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 am

I introduce to you all Kai, my associate's and I's silver fox!
His name means ''fire'' in Scottish, and he's a little ball of energy hehe, so his name suits him well.
Always goofing around, he loves to play tricks on you. He's so silly, he's the definition of the typical sly fox ;)

My associate picked him up last spring from a friend, when he was around 1 month old or so, not sure. He's super friendly and funny!

Here comes the flood of pictures! Beware!!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Meet Kai! :)

Post by Luccistar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 am

And some other pictures (told you the flood was coming!) ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Re: Meet Kai! :)

Post by Luccistar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:22 am

and some others...

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Meet Kai the silver fox! :)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Cute, they look happy :)

Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luccistar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Vixey had a harder time settling in, but once she did, she was very friendly. A bit more shy than Kai tho
Kai, he's the happiest fox I've ever seen, such a positive animal! :)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:35 am

Aww, so cute! I wish there were more of these domestic foxes out there like there are so many dogs.

Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luccistar » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 am

Tiantai, there are actually so many breeders out there! I have an inventory posted on here http://www.thefriendlyfox.webs.com/apps/forums (it's in the fox forum)

Here's Kai when he was 2-3 months old!

Nimwey
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nimwey » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:35 pm

Love the domesticated foxes. :D Too bad they're illegal to keep in Sweden. (You can have elephants and dolphins, but not foxes or small wild cats.) And I think even if the government knew about domesticated foxes that do as well in captivity as cats or dogs, they wouldn't be legalized, to protect the real wild foxes from the trade, or for environmental reasons (same reason falconry is illegal - so the birds won't affect the wild birds of prey).

One thing I've long wondered however - why do foxes have such huge tails? :P
Mother Nature does not rule by fear and anger, but by calm strength and assertiveness - Cesar Millan

Luccistar
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Luccistar » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Hahaha, I laughed at the part where it is legal to keep an elephant but not a little fox... :D but it's an actual good reason; if the domestic foxes were to escape and breed with the wild ones, they would destroy their red coat genetics by bringing in the ''domestic colors'' genes, etc. and tamer behaviors that would make them curious towards humans, which might lead them to death (shot by hunters)...

Their tails are so pretty, aren't they? :) and it's because foxes (vulpes vulpes) usually live in Northern regions, where winters are pretty cold. Their tail, which are 75% of their body length, help keep themselves warm, and protect themselves from the snow and wind when they're sleeping (they curl up and stick their face under their tails!). Unfortunately, most people see fox tails as wall hangers or fur coats, and that's why so many foxes are harvested for their fur - :(