Some of the rest of my "family"

A place to share photos of your other pets: dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, horses, reptiles, etc.
firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Some of the rest of my "family"

Post by firleymj » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:07 am

Just you know the other critters about
:o

Solomon, my male Box Tortoise (He's approaching 60, and he's been with me almost 35 years)
Solomon%201.jpg
Millie, my female Box (a short 22 years together)
millie.jpg
What they lack in style, they more than make up for in durability!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Re: Some of the rest of my "family"

Post by Ryphen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:25 am

What age can box tortoises live to? I know some tortoises can get reallllly old.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks for the interest. Box tortoise lifespan is one of those things nobody has really good data on. Really scientific studies have only been conducted in the last decade or two. What we do know is that in the wild, many animals are 50+ with a significant population over 100 years of age. There's some evidence that males outlive females on average, because of complications associated with gravidity (pregnancy in an egg-laying reptile), but it can't be considered "conclusive"

The fate of captive animals is far less clear. When I started, boxes did a lot better in captivity (at least anecdotally) than in the wild - largely because there was reduced death due to infectious diseases. With the 90s and early 2000s, boxes exploded in popularity as domestic animals, and poor care by uninformed owners and vets who'd never had much experience basically reversed that fate. The situation is beginning to even out again, since veterinary programs are now including much more reptile education than ever, and many states are now discouraging mass trade in these creatures.

The net is that I'm hoping mine will outlive me (my goddaughter, who's also a tortoise enthusiast) has "dibs" in the event her uncle goes before his torts. :lol:
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Aww, that's nice that they have a home in the event they out live you.

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Cute :)

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:28 pm

That's pretty impressive. Puts the iguana I had at one time to shame. I had thought about getting a parrot once, but didn't think I could handle something that might outlive me. Don't think I know enough people that could potentially inherit one. Glad your goddaughter likes tortoises. :)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:34 pm

I use to have a box tortoise... believe it or not he ran away.

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:51 am

Kate,

I completely empathize because I know first hand they can move quite quickly when they want (may not be often, but they can!). When you don't want them to move, they can motor!

Also, they love to follow edges - they will follow sidewalks and grass verges for miles should they want. The oddest part is that they have some "homing" instinct - so that if their journey is interrupted, they can reorient and restart their journey. There's quite a debate over how far a distance their "internal GPS" ranges - recent studies have shown that many animals can figure out where they are and where they want to return even if separated from their original destination by 10km distances. Beyond about 25km, this seems to break down badly, but then again, I'm not sure I could do better.

One of the reasons the Tamaskans passed my selection criteria was their general ability to adapt to existing companions (and my goddaughter's two immense GSD's took to her tortoises quite easily). Of course, the more I came to know the "breed" the happier I've been 8-)

Hmmmm, given the number of herp fans in this community, I wonder what statistics could be fabricated about the correlation! (92.425 percent of all false statistics are made up from whole cloth :lol: )

Mark