Jack

A place to share photos of your other pets: dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, horses, reptiles, etc.
TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Jack

Post by TerriHolt » Sun May 05, 2013 7:59 pm

Introducing my new feather baby, Jack!

I saw him on a facebook pet selling page and instantly fell for him. I have never really had an interest in budgies but I guess the right one never came along :D

I have also never 'impulse bought' an animal, I usually put a lot of thought into it and I am an anti impulse buy but I know any animal I buy will be with me for life.

Here is Jack Sparrow (replace sparrow with budgie but it don't sound as good :D ):

Kitty test 1, kinda happy Nico didn't want to eat him but it wasn't surprising because Nico is a vegetarian:

Kitty test 2 also a success, more surprising because I thought Phoenix would make it more difficult:

Now i just need to figure out the best way to tame him :? . All I was told about him was he is 1 or 2 yr old...

(Just a side note, I wouldn't leave the cats alone with the bird :D , they are not that trust worthy :lol: )

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Jack

Post by TerriHolt » Mon May 06, 2013 1:13 am

It's actually Jack and Skyla now (not sure how to/if i can change the title), he wasn't happy without his mate so I went back for her this evening. They have been bred once and formed a bond.

Skyla is on the bottom perch, she has more brown:

Sam has spent all evening sitting, laying and waiting but he couldn't stand it much longer. He must investigate these chirpy, squeaky, weird things...
Pleased to say that, altho he has a high prey drive, he didn't try to eat my birds :D

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:48 am

They are cute :D I miss my little birds, but with Rukia, it was decided best for us to not get any again :(
A Budgie I named Star was my first bird.

balto13
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by balto13 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:08 am

they are cute! My husband has always wanted a bird, but I don't think we can have one :(

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 am

I couldn't have one if there weren't enough designated rooms :lol: . Sam in livingroom, cats in hallway/upstairs, birds in the kitchen. I have no room for anything else now tho :D

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Mon May 06, 2013 9:53 am

awesome you got him his mate, birds should not be kept alone
you do need a bigger cage ;)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Mon May 06, 2013 10:54 am

Vajente wrote:awesome you got him his mate, birds should not be kept alone
you do need a bigger cage ;)
Well, when i got him i thought he'd lived on his own and i was going to introduce a friend slowly in a few weeks once he'd settled in. But within an hour of having him he seemed distressed. I was going to ask them how he'd been living but the woman's daughter contacted me first saying her mum was worried about him missing his mate since they'd formed a bond having bred once (the female was also acting out of character). She wasn't planning on selling her but she informed me he'd never lived alone before which then explained a lot.
If i'd have known first off i'd have taken 2 (she was also selling a green/yellow and a blue/white who was pictured together and Jack was pictured alone hence me thinking he'd been alone in his cage).

I did get a bigger cage but the perches didn't fit and the food bit wasn't secure (kept falling out leaving an opening for the birds) so they had to stay in this over night and my bf has taken the other back first thing this morning.
Lucky for me, I got the last cage of that size yesterday and my bf told the pet shop guy we have no cage right now (tall tale to save them been cooped up in a small one longer than necessary) so the guy at the pet shop has replaced it with a bigger cage at no extra charge (I paid £39.99, new one is £59.99... Great pet shop!) :D . Just waiting for him to fetch it home now.

Edit:

New home arrived :D It's not as wide as i would have liked but the bigger cages started going into the parrot cages which actually only get taller not much wider... This cage is recommended for 3-4 birds, I don't think I'd have that many in it :?

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

firleymj
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by firleymj » Wed May 08, 2013 4:04 am

Very nice birds - someday I have share a few pix of my own - very obviously well cared for. !
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown
The greatest love is a mother's; then a dog's; then a sweetheart's. ~Polish Proverb

The human of Ch.(ARBA) and Ch.(KCUSA) Hawthorne James Watson (call name Kona)

http://www.anthracitetamaskan.com

Vajente
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Vajente » Wed May 08, 2013 9:17 am

nice cage much better :D but indeed not big enough for 3-4 birds
and people selling birds without their mates :evil:

Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cornelia1986 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:15 am

Hey Terri!
You can also take some hazelnut bough with a bigger diameter as a plastiv rod. The birds love them! They can rub their beak on it and love to remove the bark! And it is also a stimulation for their brains and they have a lot of fun while working the bark off. It is also very cheap as you just need to go into the garden/wood to get some new branches if the old ones are destroyed. :) Please never put a mirror in the cage - this is the absolute horror for feather babies :/
There once was a wolf-
a wolf lonlier than the mountains

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 am

Congrats on your new pets. When I was younger, I had a budgie that looked very similar to Skyla. That color must be more common than I thought.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed May 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Vajente wrote:nice cage much better :D but indeed not big enough for 3-4 birds
and people selling birds without their mates :evil:
Yes, it was actually quite shocking to see the size guide and bird number... People use the guides as "it says this there for it is right" and will over cram into cages... I did mention it to the guy in the pet shop and he usually advises people on the right cage to get and to not take the manufacturers word for it but he is not allowed to change any of the 'guide lines' on the product.
Cornelia1986 wrote:Hey Terri!
You can also take some hazelnut bough with a bigger diameter as a plastiv rod. The birds love them! They can rub their beak on it and love to remove the bark! And it is also a stimulation for their brains and they have a lot of fun while working the bark off. It is also very cheap as you just need to go into the garden/wood to get some new branches if the old ones are destroyed. :) Please never put a mirror in the cage - this is the absolute horror for feather babies :/
Thank's, i'll go look tomorrow :D . The mirror is out, they wasn't bothered with it and it was taking up movement space. If something isn't been used i didn't see the point in leaving it in limiting space some more... I'll bear that in mind for future toy hunting tho, thanks :D
Ryphen wrote:Congrats on your new pets. When I was younger, I had a budgie that looked very similar to Skyla. That color must be more common than I thought.
Her blue and white chest made us think of a sky full of clouds, my daughter thought sky was a boys name so we went with skyla (not very imaginative :D ). I must admit, i have not seen their colour much. We see mostly blue's, green's and yellows.

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Ryphen
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Ryphen » Wed May 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Mine had small purple patches on the chest with the blue patch on the rump. We came up with the equally imaginative name of Pastel. :lol: