Akita Inu

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Akita Inu

Post by kendrrat » Thu May 12, 2011 8:11 am

i feel like this might be completely out in left field, but in the short time ive looked into this on my own i havent had much luck- so i thought i'd ask you smart, lovely, web-traveled people!

so my boyfriend is very interested in Akitas (his grandama has one and he adores her) and we are hoping to get one in the future. i just love being able to get to know the Tamaskan breed through this forum and i was hoping there was some kind of a similar Akita forum, but as i said, in my limited searching i havent really found one.

so i was just wondering if any of you either own an akita, or know about them, or know some kind of online community i can consult? Thanks for the assistance!

p.s. my bf's grandma's akita, named mochi, looks kind of like this one:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Akita Inu

Post by wen » Thu May 12, 2011 8:53 am

here are some links :
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Akita+inu+forum

beware, the akita inu are known to be sometimes unsociable with other dog, so chose well your breeder or it'll be hard to make it live with your dog when it grew up ;)
"Mieux vivre avec votre chien"
Aide à l'éducation canine et réflexion sur les chiens dits "dangereux"

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu May 12, 2011 8:54 am

I don't know of a international forum so can't help you with that. Akita's can be very dominant, so they mostly won't get along with other dogs. They are also independent dogs, have a strong hunting instinct, can be reserved with strangers. Owner needs to be consistent otherwise they will follow their own path. Very different from the Tamaskan ;)

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu May 12, 2011 9:15 am

they do need someone with a firm hand who can put their foot down... thats why i didn't get one and moved to husky search cuz if i put my foot down, it will bouce right back up again :) ... all the research i did i found all the same info as mentioned above and at the time i had an elderly GSD so it wasn't the right dog.

but saying that, every dog is an individual and doesn't have to follow the traits people know of. i think any dog, trained right, loved and well cared for (and from a good breeder) will be just how you want it to be. your BF's grandma's dog must have turned out ok for you to want one. she may be able to help and give advice too... :P

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Thu May 12, 2011 10:09 am

I know these dogs were used for hunting and fighting so they are same sex aggresive and I have seen it around the show rings, if you wanted a Tamaskan as well as an Akita I would suggest buying them both together as puppies (but even then you may have issues as they both mature)
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu May 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Akita's are not for everybody, but I see everything is already written. ;)
blufawn wrote:I know these dogs were used for hunting and fighting so they are same sex aggresive and I have seen it around the show rings, if you wanted a Tamaskan as well as an Akita I would suggest buying them both together as puppies (but even then you may have issues as they both mature)
And if you want both dogs I would take a male and a female. But I wouldn't take the dogs the same time and take the Akita first so you can invest very much time in socializing and training the Akita and he can bond with his owner instead of the other dog. Also the Akita should be the highest ranking one and that should give the least problems. How is Mochi against other dogs?
We have a male aggressive dog (Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog), and I find it hard to cope with, although he listens very well and comes when he is called so he can walk free almost everywhere. Also walk free with other male dogs, but I have to watch him all the time. I won't do it again, while we live in such a urban place as we do now.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu May 12, 2011 1:07 pm

My friend in Holland has a Japanese Akita (Yasha) who was very sweet with Jasper when he was a pup but also quite aloof around people. I think there are also notable differences between American Akitas and Japanese Akitas - both with regards to appearance and temperament / character.

The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

MoirAran
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MoirAran » Thu May 12, 2011 1:23 pm

We know people who have an Akita too. This Akita is a very difficult dog. The owners are very experienced dog owners. But this Akita is aggressive towards other dogs, but also towards people. I've seen this dog biting the dog trainer (we also trained at the same dog school). The owners are walking him at least 4 hours every day.

Their Akita is from American bloodlines. Impressive en beautiful dog in apperence, but bad character :(
Greetings, Kristel
Aran & Moira & Rayne

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Thu May 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Yes, I think the differences between the two breeds heads are huge. Personally I prefer the American Akitas but Lynn likes the Japanese Akitas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu May 12, 2011 3:44 pm

blufawn wrote:Yes, I think the differences between the two breeds heads are huge. Personally I prefer the American Akitas but Lynn likes the Japanese Akitas
I prefer the Japanese and especially the red ones, I like this female called Akikohime go Kenshin-sou very much:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu May 12, 2011 3:51 pm

I like the Japaneese more too..

When going through breeds I would like to own I did consider the Akita, but I chose that it would be to big of a mouthful for me. :)
>> Nino <<

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Thu May 12, 2011 6:01 pm

i think i also prefer the japanese akita.
we were planning on getting the akita first, tam second, with a female akita and male tam. and i have no problem putting my foot down 8-) might be more of a problem for my boyfriend tho... he's such a push over!

and mochi is the SMARTEST dog in the world! maybe too smart :? she is not like any other dog ive ever known. for example, when she brings you a toy to play with she'll look through her little bin of toys until she finds her newest one (always for favorite at the moment) and bring that to you to either play catch our tug-of-war. if you tug and she yanks it out of your hand she will gently put it back into your hand and wait for you to get a good grip before starting again. also, she HATES it if you do not greet her when you arrive and say goodbye before you leave.
with other dogs in her own home she is fine. her dog "family" consists of two small (10-15 lb.) dogs. and she loves to play with them. though i have noticed that she tends to dominate the really submissive one. but the other small dog who is also pretty dominant and her get along just fine.

i dont know how she is with dogs outside the home, ive never seen her encounter one on a walk. she is very protective of the home though and takes a minute to warm up to new strangers. she's never aggressive with anyone, just barks at them until she's decided they're ok. i feel like she can sense people who are comfortable around dogs, because the people she barks at the most are the people who are most uncomfortable around her. shes very smart.
my bf loves her so much because she's ridiculously loving and gentle and intelligent. he can do anything to her and she just loves him like he's a child haha shes so sweet!

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Thu May 12, 2011 6:22 pm

kendrrat wrote:if you tug and she yanks it out of your hand she will gently put it back into your hand and wait for you to get a good grip before starting again.
Jasper does this too :)
kendrrat wrote:i dont know how she is with dogs outside the home, ive never seen her encounter one on a walk. she is very protective of the home though and takes a minute to warm up to new strangers. she's never aggressive with anyone, just barks at them until she's decided they're ok. i feel like she can sense people who are comfortable around dogs, because the people she barks at the most are the people who are most uncomfortable around her.
I think that is one of the differences between the American and Japanese Akitas - the Japanese ones are very quiet... I've never heard Yasha bark, ever. I think the American Akita is different in that respect.

Gaby
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Gaby » Thu May 12, 2011 7:17 pm

Mochi sounds like a really nice dog. But what do you feel about dog agressive behaviour?

And if you want an Akita, I believe it's very, very important to choose the lines and breeder with a lot of care (which everybody should do with every dog off course ;) ). But I believe that characters can be quite different in the breed itself. It's a good thing you want a male and a female!

Megaen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Megaen » Thu May 12, 2011 7:55 pm

I haven't owned either but I prefer the Japanese Akita some info here: http://www.akita-inu.com/

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Fri May 13, 2011 8:16 am

wow i was reading the info on that page (thanks btw!) and it was super informative as to the difference between the american and the japanese akita. so actually jennie, that top pick of the fawn dog with black masking must be an american akita- fawn and black masking are not allowed in japanese akitas. they may only be red, brindle or white. and the must have white points, no black mask. american akitas however can be just about any color and the black mask is quite popular. interesting! there seems to be some huge controversy over the "SPLIT" between the two breeds, with some people thinking its good (they are two different breeds and should be bred & shown as such) and people thinking its bad (limits gene pool, our way is the right way, etc...)

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Fri May 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Havnt read all the posts through above but there is a difference in the 'name'. In UK they come under different breeds and are shown in different rings. One is purely The Akita which is the American 'type' shown above and the other is known as the Japanese Akita Inu Japanese 'type' Both are different in looks and also temperament. I prefer the Inu. As with many breeds I think they should look like how they do from their country of origin which in this case is Japan. As with a lot of breeds the Americans change the look to generally much larger and more coarse for whatever reason|?!?!? see the American look above. They did the same with our Belgian Shepherds years ago and spoiled the look altogether. These dogs originated from the continent and not the US. Lets hope the American Tamaskan look entirely different too :lol: :lol:

Megaen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Megaen » Fri May 13, 2011 2:39 pm

Your welcome kendrrat. I found the website very interesting when I first came across it, as said before I prefer the Akita Inu (Japanese Akita) over the American Akita and all the info about the split and some countries refusal to acknowledge a split between the breeds really annoyed me. How can the USA and Canada both refuse such a split as I'm sorry the Akita is from Japan wouldn't we want to keep the look of the Japanese Akita? What America did was pretty much take a beautiful dog and destroy the look entirely this is just my opinion btw. Apparently they've done it with other breeds as well and I really don't understand why. IMO I think the mask of the American Akita looks horrible and the colors the American Akita usually come out to be no thanks..... IMO if your going to get an Akita get the Akita that originated in it's country. Of course me being in Missouri in the USA Akita Inus are hard to find so sadly I will probably never own an Akita Inu so pretty much went head first into Shiba Inu :mrgreen:

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Fri May 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Megaen wrote:What America did was pretty much take a beautiful dog and destroy the look entirely this is just my opinion btw. Apparently they've done it with other breeds as well and I really don't understand why.
Sounds familiar though... this is exactly what RPK is trying to do with the Tamaskan. Maybe the original motives behind the American Akita were the same?!
Blustag wrote:Lets hope the American Tamaskan look entirely different too :lol: :lol:
They do already. Lets just hope that people don't actually start to consider his version as a legitimate spin-off. :roll:

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Sat May 14, 2011 1:56 am

I've had some limited experience with the Akita in both Japan and America. I worked for a boarding kennel for a while and currently as a trainer. While working at the boarding kennel, we had several Akitas that would board. The kennel was the only one in the area that would take Akitas. So first warning, in some areas Akitas do have a bad rap and may even be banned in the US. The dogs were difficult and the owner would not let anyone handle them or move them because they could get agressive being in a strange environment.

During my several trips to Japan I have met several Akitas. They are differnt than the American Akitas. Not only do they look different, but they acted differently. They wer very stand-offish. With the owner present, they would allow you to approach, but they really did not want to interact. But, they were able to take them out and about.

These dogs were bred to hunt bear. They are strong willed and independent. They love their families, but do not become bonded with others. Often times it is one person in the family who the bond with more than others. I know dog agression can be an issue. All I can say is research your lines and do your homework if you decide to get one. There are differences, but overall they can be difficult dogs.
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Sat May 14, 2011 6:54 am

funny how this discussion happened and then the "american tamaskan" thing happened :lol:
but yeah, that is definitely one thing im concerned about- aggression. ive heard of the akita's reputation, and i was worried about that as well. we wont be getting one anytime soon so i figured i might as well start researching now so i could find good breeders, good lines, and help on socializing/training akitas. looking for the full 411 haha

Megaen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Megaen » Sat May 14, 2011 5:17 pm

lol it is funny having this discussion over the "American Tamaskan" or being from RPK American Mutt? lol

Yeah just research and do more research, I also know of Akita rescues but if wanting to go through a breeder well sounds like you pretty much got it :) If you get a pup just make sure to socialize socialize and socialize.

This site also has some info on the akita: http://www.akitarescue.com/Facts%20about%20Akitas.htm it's posted by the Akita Rescue Society of America has some other good links in here as well :)

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Sun May 15, 2011 8:08 am

awesome, thanks for the link! and thanks everyone for your input, its been ridiculously helpful. :mrgreen:

Megaen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Megaen » Tue May 17, 2011 3:24 am

As far as Japanese breeds go you can find info and stuff on all of them from other people on a forum via http://www.nihonken.org/forum/index.php?p=/ there is an Akita Inu section of the forum if you are interested. It's a pretty friendly forum only really looked at the Shiba Section and briefly the Shikoku Ken and Akita Inu.... The Shikoku also has a nice appearance :D :D Sadly they really aren't in the USA to much :(

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Tue May 17, 2011 7:31 am

That is a pretty dog almost like a wolf crossed with a teddy bear.

EliasLeon
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EliasLeon » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:57 am

I understand that this an old topic, but I'm interested in sharing my story about my dog; he is also an Akita Inu. I got him from a friend because he has to go to another country, so he left me his dog (my dog now). At first, he is hard to deal with. Akita Inu essence & character is naturally wary of strangers yet very loyal to their family. They are happy to be the only dog in the family.