Hey is that an Akita?..............

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
WhiteFaolan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Hey is that an Akita?..............

Post by WhiteFaolan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:51 pm

I swear if I hear that one more time I'm gonna slap someone lol

orrrrrrrrrrrrrr "oh yes there are loads of those dogs where I live"........................ummmmm I doubt it!

Anyone else having this?

It's a husky right?!

O.O
"We listened for a voice crying in the wilderness. And we heard the jubilation of wolves!”
~ Durwood L. Allen

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Hey is that an Akita?..............

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:05 am

since you mention it... :D :D :D

i get a lot of husky... an old person said gsd... a few
WhiteFaolan wrote: "oh yes there are loads of those dogs where I live"
's

one person, who i WILL slap if she don't shut her kisser keeps tuting at me after a very long heated street argument about how i should be ashamed of my self for fetching THAT out in public... i am disgracefull and a complete idiot of a human being... he should be locked up etc... if she see's him running free, her farmer friend will shoot him and she WILL report me to the police, dogwarden and anyother authorities she can think of who can help her...

i can not and will not repeat hear what i replied with because it will be full of blanks anyway... i'm assuming she thought he was a wolfdog but the point been, she could have asked me like a NORMAL human not like a crazed banshee and if anyone shoots my dog, i will petrol bomb her house! you don't make threats to have someones dog shot while stood outside your own freaking home... and i'm the idiot? ha!

but no, i've not have akita :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

WhiteFaolan
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by WhiteFaolan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:08 am

omg really?
some people!!

One woman did tell me that I was an idiot for wanting to keep him entire and that I should expect to have my six year old daughter attacked by him.................

I was like.............what------the------hell------is your major malfunction?!

His sire is Odin and I met him at the show at the Breeder's house, he was certainly no vicious attack hellhound! lmao where do there people get off judging us like that?!
"We listened for a voice crying in the wilderness. And we heard the jubilation of wolves!”
~ Durwood L. Allen

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 am

yeah people really tend to jump to conclusions :roll:

many that I meet here seem to think that my 2 are bona fide wolves - from the wild (not even wolfdogs - since they don't know that the concept 'wolfdog' exists - but actual real 100% wolves). As if I went into the wilderness, rugby-tackled an adult and stole the pups from the den... or something. :lol:

otherwise, most dog owners think they are either huskies / husky mixes or GSD mixes.
then I explain all about the breed and tell them to look it up online ;)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:17 am

Sylvaen wrote: As if I went into the wilderness, rugby-tackled an adult and stole the pups from the den... or something. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

some people's vision seems to be more black and white than the dogs :roll: , they miss things and don't see too clearly (some of them ain't that bright either ;) )

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:51 am

Sylvaen wrote:yeah people really tend to jump to conclusions :roll:

many that I meet here seem to think that my 2 are bona fide wolves - from the wild (not even wolfdogs - since they don't know that the concept 'wolfdog' exists - but actual real 100% wolves). As if I went into the wilderness, rugby-tackled an adult and stole the pups from the den... or something. :lol:

otherwise, most dog owners think they are either huskies / husky mixes or GSD mixes.
then I explain all about the breed and tell them to look it up online ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I love the way you quoted about rugby-tackling an adult and stealing their puppies :lol: :lol: :lol: these people. But I've had the same thing happen, since I've brought her home neighbors and passerbys wanting to pet her keeping asking if she's a husky or a husky mix, and when I tell them she's a Tam they look at me like a deer in a headlight :lol: :lol: So I too tell them to look up the breed.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:40 am

I get the Husky thing a lot

When she was younger I got fox quite often, which annoyed me a little as she besides the redish color looked nothing like a fox

Wolf and wolfdog is just around same amount of times as Husky - and mix (she isnt a purebred right?) happens quite often too..
>> Nino <<

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:55 am

I actually rounded a bend on a trail through a woods with my pack and encountered a family of 2 adults and 3 children. On seeing my pack with Kenai in the lead they all screamed their heads off and started trying to climb the embankment to get away from them shouting 'wolves' wolves!!! I was absolutely amazed as they were 'serious' for God's sake :lol: The dogs were all loose at the time and minding their own business :lol: not to mention the fact that the only wolves here in UK are in Zoos :lol:

WhiteElkStag
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by WhiteElkStag » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:30 pm

That's amazing! Hahahah

We used to have people ask us if our girls were foxes all of the time... no idea what Kira gets now though.
Ben Premack
www.WhiteElkTamaskan.com
www.Facebook.com/WhiteElkTamaskan
Rhea (Saxon Aquila at White Elk), Sophie (Saxon Canis Venatici at White Elk), and Auri (Blufawn Sunshine on My Shoulders at White Elk)

maartendq
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by maartendq » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:43 pm

Blustag wrote:I actually rounded a bend on a trail through a woods with my pack and encountered a family of 2 adults and 3 children. On seeing my pack with Kenai in the lead they all screamed their heads off and started trying to climb the embankment to get away from them shouting 'wolves' wolves!!! I was absolutely amazed as they were 'serious' for God's sake :lol: The dogs were all loose at the time and minding their own business :lol: not to mention the fact that the only wolves here in UK are in Zoos :lol:
Must have been hilarious :D

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:52 pm

It was trust me :lol: If there was ever a time I needed a camcorder that was it :lol: People...what 'are' they like :lol:

Glennz
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Glennz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Blustag wrote:I actually rounded a bend on a trail through a woods with my pack and encountered a family of 2 adults and 3 children. On seeing my pack with Kenai in the lead they all screamed their heads off and started trying to climb the embankment to get away from them shouting 'wolves' wolves!!! I was absolutely amazed as they were 'serious' for God's sake :lol: The dogs were all loose at the time and minding their own business :lol: not to mention the fact that the only wolves here in UK are in Zoos :lol:
Sadly, people do almost the same with my Staffordshire Bullterrier.
They turn around, walk with a big arch around him or walk as fast as possible.
Even my little cousins cry when seeing him. :oops:
The odd thing is, people get scared while he looks like some sort of chubby teddybear.

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Glennz wrote:Sadly, people do almost the same with my Staffordshire Bullterrier.
The odd thing is, people get scared while he looks like some sort of chubby teddybear.
Awww - he's lovely!
Reminds me a lot of Cesar Millan's pitbull named "Daddy" (who sadly died last year) - it's a shame that people get the wrong impression of these dogs, simply based on appearance alone: it's canine racism. :(
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
Glennz wrote:Sadly, people do almost the same with my Staffordshire Bullterrier.
Awww - he's lovely!
Reminds me a lot of Cesar Millan's pitbull named "Daddy" (who sadly died last year) - it's a shame that people get the wrong impression of these dogs, simply based on appearance alone: it's canine racism. :(
I was thinking the same thing... does look like Daddy.
Pitbull's can be such great dogs they are born pleasers. There are a lot of cities and county's in the united states that are banning them sadly.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:35 pm

This is a Staffie (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) not a Pitbull...entirely different and Daddy's ears were cropped too ;)

Glennz
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Glennz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:38 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
Awww - he's lovely!
Thanks, this is a picture when he was in his breeding days 9 years ago:

Looks like a totally different dog. :P

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 pm

I have never had Akita, but have had GSD, husky, NI or once Utonagan I have had once Tamaskan

Megaen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Megaen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:21 pm

WOW :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:48 am

How in the world does anyone get an Akita mixed up with a Tamaskan!?!?!?!?! I've been asked often if our Tamaskans are husky mixes, but never mistaken for an Akita. The Tams have also been mistaken for a GSD x husky, a fox cross and Luna our furry girl was accused of being a collie x husky. I have also been accused of having a wolf hybrid in public. First he is a Tamaskan and if you get too close he may lick you to death. Second, they are not wolf hybrids, they are wolfdogs. Sigh...
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:04 am

TeresaC wrote:How in the world does anyone get an Akita mixed up with a Tamaskan!?!?!?!?! I've been asked often if our Tamaskans are husky mixes, but never mistaken for an Akita. The Tams have also been mistaken for a GSD x husky, a fox cross and Luna our furry girl was accused of being a collie x husky. I have also been accused of having a wolf hybrid in public. First he is a Tamaskan and if you get too close he may lick you to death. Second, they are not wolf hybrids, they are wolfdogs. Sigh...
I have been asked Akita too... once..
Kids usually say wolf .. other people say husky or sled dog... the most common question: wolf in her?..
..a few have asked if I have a wolf on a leash :lol: '

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Ive had Akita loads of times :lol: :lol: when out with my Alaskan Malamute :lol:

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:49 am

thats so funny! i wonder if people just dont know what akitas really look like?
if i'm curious about that breed of a dog i see in public i usually just ask "what kind of dog is that? theyre gorgeous!" ;) doesnt make assumptions and doesnt offend people.

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:58 am

As with what other people have experienced I have also been asked 'what' breed is it and on saying a Tamaskan have been told...., Oh yeah my friend/neighbour/work mate etc etc has one of those :lol: I then ask where they got it and of course NO one knows :lol:

Megaen
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Megaen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:12 pm

kendrrat wrote:thats so funny! i wonder if people just dont know what akitas really look like?

I'm beginning to wonder that to, a GSD mix I can see them asking even a husky mix I guess I can see that, but an Akita??

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:12 am

Here everyone seems to think they have a wolf-dog. I can go up to someone who has a larger breed (a MASSIVE golden the other day) and he said "yeah she's half wolf" I just snickered, no dude...she's just fat. A lady come in all the time with a "corgi - wolf cross" which essentially looks like a black and white corgi :lol: :roll:

One guy has three mals and he is convinced they are all high contents, they are good looking, pedigree (I've seen the papers) malamute with no mixes in there but he seems to think that a wolf and a high content wolf were bred to create his dogs :lol: :lol: some people here are really dense ;)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

kendrrat
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by kendrrat » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:42 am

Boreal wrote:Here everyone seems to think they have a wolf-dog. I can go up to someone who has a larger breed (a MASSIVE golden the other day) and he said "yeah she's half wolf" I just snickered, no dude...she's just fat. A lady come in all the time with a "corgi - wolf cross" which essentially looks like a black and white corgi :lol: :roll:

One guy has three mals and he is convinced they are all high contents, they are good looking, pedigree (I've seen the papers) malamute with no mixes in there but he seems to think that a wolf and a high content wolf were bred to create his dogs :lol: :lol: some people here are really dense ;)
thats hilarious!!! :lol: :lol: people can be so odd sometimes...

uhh yeah my rorri is part wolf too. high content. in fact her mom was a pure wild wolf ;) doesnt she look so wolfy?!

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:06 pm

kendrrat wrote:
Boreal wrote:Here everyone seems to think they have a wolf-dog. I can go up to someone who has a larger breed (a MASSIVE golden the other day) and he said "yeah she's half wolf" I just snickered, no dude...she's just fat. A lady come in all the time with a "corgi - wolf cross" which essentially looks like a black and white corgi :lol: :roll:

thats hilarious!!! :lol: :lol: people can be so odd sometimes...

uhh yeah my rorri is part wolf too. high content. in fact her mom was a pure wild wolf ;) doesnt she look so wolfy?!
The resemblance to a wolf is amazing :lol:

EskyTheHusky
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by EskyTheHusky » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:39 am

:lol: I've had a few silly questions with Esky.
Malamute or a samoyed mix are the common ones, which I can totally understand, not knowing her pedigree I would assume the same ;)
I had one stall owner at the markets who was incredibly scared of her.
" Is she a wolf? " he asked retreating.
"No" I Smiled " She's a husky" as I finished speaking the big bad wolf rolled onto her back for pats and bellyrubs.

A wolf, really, in Australia :|

My friend who owns an Akita told me a man once said to her " nice labrador"
riiiight :lol:
Aeukanmanuva Wintermoon AKA Esky the Husky

Rambler
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Rambler » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:59 pm

I have educated everyone at the dog park about Tamaskans because they asked so many questions when they first met Rambler. However, they still call him "The Wolf" everytime. :lol: :lol: :lol: One guy stopped his car (blocking traffic) to talk to me while I was walking down the street one day with Rambler. He knew that Rambler had husky in him (his family used to breed and show huskies), but Rambler was "amazing". He commented on the "gorgeous markings that were very unique and the overall impressive body structure". He definitely appreciated all your hard work, Lynn. :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:10 am

we went round a corner walking sam today and a kid fell of his bike crying and saying wolf :lol: i know i shouldn't have laughed but it was so funny in the way that i don't know who made who jump more, scared me senseless when he screamed... just before that a gorup of people commented on how he looked like a wolf. i said to kev, my partner... oh lynn will be happy, obviously achieveing her goal of a wolfless wolf :lol:

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:33 am

TerriHolt wrote:we went round a corner walking sam today and a kid fell of his bike crying and saying wolf :lol: i know i shouldn't have laughed but it was so funny in the way that i don't know who made who jump more, scared me senseless when he screamed... just before that a gorup of people commented on how he looked like a wolf. i said to kev, my partner... oh lynn will be happy, obviously achieveing her goal of a wolfless wolf :lol:
This is great... I mostly get oh what a cute husky :roll:

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:33 pm

I get husky, wolf and for some reason she got called a coyote once :?: It happened when I took Mona Lisa to a dog park a couple weeks ago and some guy looks and says "Hey a coyote got in here, it must have jumped the gate" I was like no, no that's not a coyote that's my dog :roll: :lol: Then he procceed to ask what kind of breed she was and how pretty her colors were :roll:

HellanDK
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by HellanDK » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Haha.. Never had Akita! :lol: But just ealier today, and most of the other ones too, I had the question; "Is he a husky".. As I explained very kindly; "No, she's a Tamaskan". Most people go; "Wauv, she looks like a little wolf". Some people even looked at her, and walked to the opposite sidewalk, eyeballin' us from their perifirel. So even with the most cute and outgoing 5 months Tam puppy - is some kind of racism too..

I've had fox too.. :shock: :lol:

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:39 pm

most adults will state, not ask, that he's a husky... but since sam was a puppy from 12 weeks old people crossed the road with their dogs and even without dogs :roll: it has given me socialisation issues as no one will let him anywhere near and the few that do are few and far between...

if i don't trust the people who ask, like if i know or have heard of them or have seen them with people i don't trust i do tell them he's a mutt and idk what he's crossed with. just to cover my own back or to stop them jumping on the unreg tamaskan band wagon :roll: there are a lot of people i know of who will do anything to make a £ or 2. someone is currently trying to sell 5 week old staffies saying sam would love a play mate :roll:

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Hellan wrote:Haha.. Never had Akita! :lol: But just ealier today, and most of the other ones too, I had the question; "Is he a husky".. As I explained very kindly; "No, she's a Tamaskan". Most people go; "Wauv, she looks like a little wolf". Some people even looked at her, and walked to the opposite sidewalk, eyeballin' us from their perifirel. So even with the most cute and outgoing 5 months Tam puppy - is some kind of racism too..

I've had fox too.. :shock: :lol:
I gotta say I had fox a lot!
same with Husky (and malamute lol)

oh yeah.. in the Dog Park with Hellan and Matsi at a distance it could be quite hard seing who was who with the Saarloos, the Czech and two Tamaskans :shock:
>> Nino <<

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:10 pm

Can't wait to see what I get when I get my boy. There are no wolves in aus and it's illegal to import any dog with wolf content, so I'll probably just get husky all the time. Seriously though an Akita? Geez.
Omg I hope people run away from me screaming "wolf" I will wet myself laughing!
Image Image

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:47 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:Can't wait to see what I get when I get my boy. There are no wolves in aus and it's illegal to import any dog with wolf content, so I'll probably just get husky all the time. Seriously though an Akita? Geez.
Omg I hope people run away from me screaming "wolf" I will wet myself laughing!
It is a great feeling when someone asks if Saga is a wolf or has wolf in her, if they ask me I do tell them what she is, but often I over hear people commenting to each other as they pass, I just smile and carry on :lol: I also get Husky and German Shepherd (even from people who claim to have breed GSD :roll: ) I have only had one person back off scared thinking she was a wolf, but it was dark and he was coming out of the pub :lol: I laughed for the rest of the walk :lol:

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:42 am

At the dog park last night, a guy asked what breeds made Ulric, I told him basically German Shepherd, Malamute, and Husky. His response was "Oh, like an Akita!" *face palm*. Later on there was a Miniature Pinscher there and this same guy goes "Oh look, a mini Dalmatian!" *head table*

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:25 am

HiTenshi16 wrote:At the dog park last night, a guy asked what breeds made Ulric, I told him basically German Shepherd, Malamute, and Husky. His response was "Oh, like an Akita!" *face palm*. Later on there was a Miniature Pinscher there and this same guy goes "Oh look, a mini Dalmatian!" *head table*
:lol: :lol: :lol: so he knows his dogs then :roll:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:20 pm

>> Nino <<

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:55 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:At the dog park last night, a guy asked what breeds made Ulric, I told him basically German Shepherd, Malamute, and Husky. His response was "Oh, like an Akita!" *face palm*. Later on there was a Miniature Pinscher there and this same guy goes "Oh look, a mini Dalmatian!" *head table*
Head table :lol: :lol: :lol: I have never heard that before but that sounds exactly what that was.

WhiteElkDoe
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by WhiteElkDoe » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:31 pm

I usually get "is that a husky? no... is that a german shep- no.... What is that???"

I usually open with that they're a "Finnish sledding breed" if I think the person seems nervous.