Akira OFA

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Akira OFA

Post by Hiwatari » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:57 pm

Sorry I didn't put this up sooner as I've had them for a bit. Akira has been Spayed as she isn't a good pick for breeding. Here are her OFA's RPK has offered a new puppy duo to them as they knew I planned to breed her if she could.

(Oh I wasn't sure where to put this, so feel free to place it in the right spot.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rahne

Re: Akira OFA

Post by Rahne » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:46 pm

Aahh that's bad :( I hope her hips aren't going to bother her too much in the future!
People should really stop getting pups from RPK...

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:56 pm

She seems to be fine right now. The only thing she doesn't do is jump onto something high up. But she has never done that. Only puts her front paws on it and then I lift her back. I'm also hoping that nothing to bad will happening to her as she gets older.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:45 pm

well it sounds like she's always had problems and i hate to say it but it won't get any better for the poor girl :( i wish he would stop producing pups that will suffer (if you can't breed properly, don't breed at all)... i mean, if she put her front paws up and you lift her back... that really doesn't sound good for her :(

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Im sorry to hear about her hips. If you do decide to have another puppy from him id make sure the parents are scored first or id go elsewhere.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:14 pm

I am not getting another from him so no worries there. I'm not putting out money for another and there is no way I will have her put down to get a free one. As for lifting her back ones. It started as a puppy because she didn't want to jump into the back of the Tahoe. It continues because she likes it that way I think. As she jumps on the bed, over fallen trees, or into the Tahoe (if she really wants to go somewhere). So I always marked it before as me spoiling her. But now I don't want to risk just marking it as that and I keep a close eye on her to make sure everything is ok nor knowing let her jump on or off of high things. So no K-9 training for her as well. But she'll get over it. She can still to odds and ends in training.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:10 am

Would he not give you another puppy unless she was PTS?

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:34 am

Im so sorry to hear this about your poor dog. It gets me so mad that people will deliberately breed without thought and cause so much pain for not only the poor dogs but their owners too. Right Puppy Kennels and all the other puppy mills worldwide need closing down FAST!

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:16 am

He just said he owes me a puppy. But this is right off of his page.
Hip Dysplasia Guarantee

In the unlikely event that a RightPuppy® Kennel puppy is suspected of being dysplastic in its first two years, this is the procedure to follow:

Notify us by Telephone or Letter.
Submit the x-ray to the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals (http://www.offa.org), University of Missouri-Columbia MO 65210.
If the OFA finds the dog to be "Severely Dysplastic", then to qualify for a replacement:
The dysplastic dog must be put to sleep by your vet, and a letter from him/her must be sent to us
stating that this has been done. The letter must also state that the animal has not been over fed for its height/structure and has received regular check-ups.
The papers for the dog must be sent to us and transferred to our name.
The dog must have been x-rayed for this condition before its second birthday, but not before 1.5 years. (sometimes an early x-ray will not portray accurate results during growth spurts).
The dog must never have been used for breeding, not be overweight, and must still be with its original owner.
No replacement will be given if the dog has been over exercised during their growth period (until 1.5 years), which is running with or "jumping" the dog excessively in play.

After these qualifications have been met, you may choose a replacement pup of equal quality from any of our litters, subject to availability paying the difference in price if you desire a more expensive puppy (as our prices do change occasionally). No cash refunds are given. No further or previous guarantees are implied either verbally, written or otherwise stated.

blufawn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by blufawn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:28 am

Wow, what a pile of crap.

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:57 am

I agree, if he is going by it or not. I have no clue and I rather not find out.

AngieH
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by AngieH » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Wow. So Machiavellian. :twisted:
One's horizon shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
~Nin

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:40 pm

How awful :evil: those poor dogs are nothing but merchandise to him. And if it is such "an unlikely event", then why would he HAVE to make a "Guarrantee"?

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:07 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:And if it is such "an unlikely event", then why would he HAVE to make a "Guarrantee"?
And a guarantee that isn't worth diddily squat - what owner would honestly ever fulfill those conditions... it's an entirely self-serving contract, which offers nothing to the buyer unless they jump through unreasonable hoops. Of course, that's precisely why he wrote it that way... shame people don't think about that before they buy, and then have to deal with a heartbreaking situation a year or so down the line.
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:28 pm

The worst part, most people don't even look at what will have to be done. They just see the little photo and think. That's great. Not knowing they need to click on it to know what they must do. Everyone who has gotten a problem and brought to his attention. Love their dogs and wouldn't do that to them.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:39 pm

Oh no I'm so sorry :( I hope she doesn't have too much trouble in the long run. If I were you I'd push the hell out of this, get a cash refund, try and get SOMETHING.
The dysplastic dog must be put to sleep by your vet, and a letter from him/her must be sent to us stating that this has been done.
OH MY GOD, no...I never would have though even HE is that evil...That right there is disgusting! :evil: :cry: :shock: I can't believe this! SO you have to put down your pet just to get a puppy which he probably won't even give you? Ugh makes me sick!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:31 pm

I agree and the only thing is a new puppy. Not refunds of any kind. I've tried that road. But I haven't given up. I'm not going to say anything about what is going on. But I hope things change soon.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:56 pm

Hiwatari wrote:I agree and the only thing is a new puppy. Not refunds of any kind. I've tried that road. But I haven't given up. I'm not going to say anything about what is going on. But I hope things change soon.
Well I really wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted with any progress for sure ;)
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Well there has been a lot. But I will not openingly say anything as I don't want to risk losing it. I'm sure you all know how he works.

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:49 pm

So sorry to here about your girl, one of my Aunt's had a gsd that was crippled with HD (and either ED or Arthritas can't remember which now) and had to be pts at only 2 years old. He was such a sweet dog too.

Absolutely hoping that your girl never has to suffer like that.

I was going to say I can't believe RPK requires you to have a dog pts, but sadly I can definitely believe it. Says a lot for him as a person and what it says ain't good. But dispite that, people will still happily line his pockets.

Hope whatever's going on behind the scenes works out for you.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:40 pm

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear all that... how could anybody be so... so... :evil: ... what would be wrong with giving another pup and allowing her to live a happy life? how close are you to your vet? he could send the letter but not do the :evil: deed if you are good friends :D (jk btw) that man needs stopping, it doesn't bare thinking about ohter lives he has devestated...

"hi mr evil breeder. my pup has bad hips" " well if you murder your dog i'll give you a replacement pup" :evil: :evil: :evil: grrrr! there are no words for him!

well, i hope it works out best for you and your girl :P

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Valravn
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Valravn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:34 am

:evil: Bastard! (apologies) :evil: Only an evil monster would make killing your dog part of a health guarantee. He really doesn't care what happens to those puppies. :cry:

I'm very sorry to hear about Akira. Hope you and she will have many happy years.

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:48 am

Wow!!! Evil doesn't even begin to describe this man. It alsmost makes me ashamed to be human and in the same species as this terrible waste of a human being :evil:
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

michifloo
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by michifloo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:09 am

Akira will be fine with proper nutrition, supplements and moderate exercise.... I chose not to persue training Loo to pull when her hip scores came back.... ;)
"I like my dogs more than most people"

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:53 am

Yeah I know she will be fine and I plan to make sure she gets everything she needs. As for training, I'm going to do some service training (as in opening door when asked and closing/getting things). nothing to hard on her hips or anything.

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:35 pm

If anyone would like to see Akira's X-ray and OFA papers here is a link to them.

http://www.hiwatarikennel.com/akira.htm

TeresaC
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by TeresaC » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:07 am

Our little Luna girl has had some hip issues. She is the dog that came thru rescue and was bred by RPK. Our vet has suggested glucosamine along with good diet (make sure she doesn't get heavy). The glucosamine has helped. I would suggest giving it a try if you have not already.
Teresa Cutler
Moondance Tamaskan, Wisconsin
US Tamaskan Dog Club, Secretary

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:49 am

Sorry to hear about her hips, hope they don't bother her later on.
Image Image

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:56 pm

TeresaC wrote:Our little Luna girl has had some hip issues. She is the dog that came thru rescue and was bred by RPK. Our vet has suggested glucosamine along with good diet (make sure she doesn't get heavy). The glucosamine has helped. I would suggest giving it a try if you have not already.
I haven't given it a try yet, but my Vet isn't worried about it as she shows no signs of it bothering her. We wouldn't have known if I didn't take her for OFA testing. But I will look into it thanks.

Luna, do you happen to know who she was out of? We are tying to piece together a family tree with records on known health problems. We have two known hip problems, a few food problems, one known flea allergy. Your rescue would give three hip problems. A lot of people aren't sharing info however.

MelB
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by MelB » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Hiwatari wrote:If anyone would like to see Akira's X-ray and OFA papers here is a link to them.

http://www.hiwatarikennel.com/akira.htm
Interesting. Her hip X-ray doesn't look as bad as I remember Cindy's being (it's an old fashioned film so don't have a digital record) so that would agree with Akira not showing much pain yet. Another vote for glucosamine in the meantime from us (prevention better than cure). Cartrophen injections also help and pain killers for when the inevitable happens and pain creeps in but I hope that's some way off yet.

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Thank you I will be asking my Vet once I find a good one in my new area. I may ask my old one in the meantime to be on the safe side.

Akira is my lead dog and the biggest trouble maker at times. I have 7 acres now sadly she has found ways out of the yard and the others follow her. There are two 70 acre lands behind us. One with cows, she goes under the barbed wire fence and barks at them (their own doesn't mind as my dogs just bark and don't run them). Then at one of the stream points it seems there is a brake she found and runs the deer hunting fields (lucky for her that owner also doesn't mind, just unlike with the cows I can't go back to get them as they have a range and my think I'm a target but assured me they don't shot dogs). So she is very well known around here and we no longer let her run the yard freely. I can't wait for the owner to fix the fencing and for when I get the invisible fence set up here.

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:07 am

Hehe what a clever girl, she sounds like a handful!
Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:31 pm

That she is. She likes to test her grounds outside knowing if she's off lead I can't catch her. There are the times I say no and she doesn't do it. Other times she will look at me with this face just saying catch me if you can and dashes off. Lucky she knows how to get home when she gets out. She sometime goes back into my yard and waits at a gate to be let back up to the house. Other times she just shows up at the door waiting to come in.

But inside she is the perfect angle and listens to everything you say.

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:25 pm

I would go for a real fence if I was you.. Besides the fact that I don't think its a good idea (its illegal here too thank god) I know of several dogs that just ignored them anyway and ran through and then they were loose as nothing had happened..
If she is smart enough then she will probably just do that too...
>> Nino <<

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:54 pm

Apple cider vinegar is an alternative to glucosamine. It's usually chearr too cuz you can buy it In a big bottle at the pet food stores and just mix it in with their food instead of crushing tabs in their food or chuckin it down their Throat. It also Gets rid if conjunticitis (pink eye) in cats and dogs if you put some twice a day on the scruff of their neck.
Image Image

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:Apple cider vinegar is an alternative to glucosamine. It's usually chearr too cuz you can buy it In a big bottle at the pet food stores and just mix it in with their food instead of crushing tabs in their food or chuckin it down their Throat. It also Gets rid if conjunticitis (pink eye) in cats and dogs if you put some twice a day on the scruff of their neck.
My old terrier has apple cider vinegar in her water and it has got rid of her runny eyes, but Saga will not touch it, so may try putting it on the scruff of her neck as she has runny eyes especially first thing in the morning, how much to you put on? (sorry to pinch the topic)

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:34 pm

Just wet a cotton ball with it and rub it on.
Image Image

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:37 pm

Kyliedelonge wrote:Just wet a cotton ball with it and rub it on.
Thanks, will try that

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:46 pm

No worries. Some people say you should dilute it a bit with water. But I had ether results without thr water. Good luck
Image Image

SarahG
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by SarahG » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Nino wrote:I would go for a real fence if I was you.. Besides the fact that I don't think its a good idea (its illegal here too thank god) I know of several dogs that just ignored them anyway and ran through and then they were loose as nothing had happened..
If she is smart enough then she will probably just do that too...

I know I'm new here, but I'm gonna jump in... :)

I agree with the real fence. I know of dogs who were smart enough to 1. sit by the fence line close enough so the beeper just went off in warning and not shock, and they waited for the battery to die (beeping stop) then they'd leave and 2. dogs who would actually jump the barrier line (it doesn't go upward indefinitely) and get out that way (just like jumping a fence)

Also, if the shock isn't strong enough to deter a squirrel chase, your outta luck, but if you start too strong for your dog, you could make them afraid. I actually know a dog with the invisible fence that (even without the collar on) will not leave the yard for walks and they actually have to put him in the car every time they want to take him for a walk and drive over the fence line.

Just my two cents. :)

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:04 pm

I myself never agreed with the invisible fences, mainly because I just don't agree with anything that would shock a dog :evil:

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:09 am

Akira is one of them dogs that sit on the beep until it stops. However she then moved to sitting on the shock line and looking at me. Doesn't run out once she knows her area. That would be all I'm using it for. I have one in PA with them as my mom was watching them. It was much better then buying a tie out every three months as they would tangle up and the dogs couldn't do anything. I couldn't put up a real fence there as the township wouldn't let them plus Akira is known to dig out and run. Plus I'm only renting, I don't feel like paying for a really good fence for 7 acres when it's not going to stay mine.

So as I don't like the idea of my dogs being shocked. I also don't like them running all over the place. Even if everyone here loves them. So invisible fence it is until I have my own place. After a week I'm not going to need a collar for Rin (she doesn't try to leave and is only on leash is there are others around). Akira will only need it to remind her it's there. She doesn't go pass it even with the collar dead. But she likes testing to see if it's working.

Oh and I will try the cider vinegar, thanks.

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Can it be Apple cider vinegar? That is all I'm finding.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Yeh that's what it is.
Image Image

Hiwatari
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Hiwatari » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:44 am

Ok thanks, that is what I got. I hope it helps.