renal failure in canines

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

renal failure in canines

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:24 pm

A friend of mine has a Rhodesian Ridgeback that is experiencing renal failure. Because the kidneys process protein, and processing protein is rough I was thinking a vegetarian diet might help prolong the dog's life. Does anyone have experience with renal failure? Any suggestions? His vet recommended the Science Diet low protein food--but we all know how wonderful Science Diet is...
Tracy Graziano
http://www.hawthornetamaskan.com

bark as if no one can hear you
catch the ball on the fly
lick like there's no end to kissing
sleep on a sofa nearby
jump like the sky is the limit
sit by the fire with friends
stay with the ones who love you
run like the road never ends

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: renal failure in canines

Post by arianwenarie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:07 pm

If the dog will do well on a low protein diet, then I'd recommend Natural Balance - they even have a vegetarian formula. The only issue I have with vegetarian formulas is that the protein content is mainly derived from soybean, peas and dairy products; might prove to be messy. ;)

Science Diet...I'd definitely steer clear from any prescription diets if possible - most aren't good diets for dogs (all corn! D:) not to mention ridiculously expensive...The Royal Canin prescription diets (grain free, hypoallergenic formulas) can cost up to $60 for a 5lb bag at some Banfield Vet locations. :?

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:05 pm

I've had some experience with renal failure though it's with a cat and not a dog so I might be able to give some help :? My Bartholomew lived with renal failure for 7yrs. When he was diagnosed our vets tried to put him on Science diet too but we switched his food to Royal Canin, that in addition to given him IV fluid every other night prolonged his life. The vets were surprised every time Bart went in for a checkup because he was healthy and had a strong heart and even when they told me that eventually he would stop responding to the IV treatment he didn't :P and instead of the disease killing him he simply got old and passed away at 18. So you could maybe try Royal Canin, not sure how good it would work with that dogs diet ;)

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks guys! Ill pass this info along.
TParham, did you use a specific Royal Canin formula? Thanks!
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Yes we did. For bart we used the Royal Canin Feline Health Nutrition Special 33 because he's always had a sensitive tummy even before he was diagnosed ;) so this formula worked best for him

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:28 pm

And what was the IV fluid you were using? medication?
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:56 pm

My kitty went into renal failure when I was in my mid teens... I had to put Iv fluids under his skin two times a day... After a month and no improvement it was nicer to have him put to sleep.

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Oh, Katelyn I'm sorry you had to go through that. How old was your kitty?

This dog-who belongs to a friend-is only 6 years old. I think they got it through a breed rescue--so not sure about pedigree and such. But I do know that Rhodesian Ridgebacks do suffer from other health issues. They just feel guilty because they think they did this to their dog (too much protein). I doubt it very much--probably genetic.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

PawPrint
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by PawPrint » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:59 am

I think you are right, more likely genetics.

This website has some quite good information, including a list of recommended low protein diets at the end.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog- ... dog-foods/

There is also a small article in dogs today this month (written by a vet) that High protein/low carb diets are much better for dogs. I hope this helps put your friends mind at ease.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:48 am

Hawthorne wrote:Oh, Katelyn I'm sorry you had to go through that. How old was your kitty? .
My kitty was 7 years old and had been poisoned by my neighbor with anti-freeze :(

After about three weeks of iv treatments and medication... he steadily got worse. Finally I came home from school and seeing him laying in the same spot I had left him that morning I decided if I continued I was just torturing him. When I took him to the vet that evening the vet had told me that he was surprised he was still alive at all. His liver and kidney's were no longer functioning and his paws had curled under. So I took the advise and had him put down on Feb 11 at 11:11pm... Weird but 9 years to the day.

That was the deciding point in no longer wanting to be a vet...

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:48 am

AZDehlin wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:Oh, Katelyn I'm sorry you had to go through that. How old was your kitty? .
My kitty was 7 years old and had been poisoned by my neighbor with anti-freeze :(

After about three weeks of iv treatments and medication... he steadily got worse. Finally I came home from school and seeing him laying in the same spot I had left him that morning I decided if I continued I was just torturing him. When I took him to the vet that evening the vet had told me that he was surprised he was still alive at all. His liver and kidney's were no longer functioning and his paws had curled under. So I took the advise and had him put down on Feb 11 at 11:11pm... Weird but 9 years to the day.

That was the deciding point in no longer wanting to be a vet...
How awful, sorry you had to go through that. I just can not understand anyone wanting to hurt or kill someone's pet, it's just cruel. :cry:

Hawthorne
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:26 pm

My in-law's cat was poisoned by the neighbor, too. I think it was rat poisoning--which if you administer vitamin K soon enough is reversible. But the cat came in from outside, threw up, went into his kitty bed and died right there.
I wish more people would think before they put out rat poison. It doesn't just poison the rats--but the carcass of anything that eats it...killing anything that eats the dead animal. My in-laws were devastated as they saved him as a kitten. He showed up on their doorstep and adopted them.
This is why I believe in fences. It helps keep dogs in and other animals *out* Not full protection-- but better than invisible fencing, for sure.
Tracy Graziano

sleep on a sofa nearby

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Hawthorne wrote:My in-law's cat was poisoned by the neighbor, too. I think it was rat poisoning--which if you administer vitamin K soon enough is reversible. But the cat came in from outside, threw up, went into his kitty bed and died right there.
I wish more people would think before they put out rat poison. It doesn't just poison the rats--but the carcass of anything that eats it...killing anything that eats the dead animal. My in-laws were devastated as they saved him as a kitten. He showed up on their doorstep and adopted them.
This is why I believe in fences. It helps keep dogs in and other animals *out* Not full protection-- but better than invisible fencing, for sure.

This another reason why I am putting a fence up this summer... I now have new neighbors. Not to mention Zephyr keeps braking my zipline and when I get a second dog I cant have both on the zip-line anyhow :)

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Hawthorne wrote:And what was the IV fluid you were using? medication?

It's fluid to help the kidneys, as AZDehlin stated it goes just under skin and is absorbed into the body that way, It mostly helps with keep the animal hydrated. My cat was drinking water but wasn't getting enough fluid in his body, the IV helped him stay fully hydrated. He too also got it twice a day but after a week he improved so much that we only had to do it every other day.