KONY 2012

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
PawPrint
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

KONY 2012

Post by PawPrint » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:56 pm

I wanted to share this here. I think its important.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: KONY 2012

Post by TerriHolt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:38 pm

it's funny, one of my friends has just shared this on facebook! but wow... :shock: ... those kids have to go thru a lot. i have heard before about what is happening to those kids and the rebel groups, never heard of tri before tho... i hope their plan of action works and they save the kids... all of them...! a war with no purpose, reason or goal is beyond pointless... a war with points and goals is pointless... just feel bad for the kids :(

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

The Kony 2012 Project

Post by Tiantai » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:23 pm

Hey Tamthusiasts,

This is an international concern that has been spread around the internet for years but as a supporter of the project I thought I'd share it on the forum so that more of you guys are aware of the project to capture Joseph Kony, the worlds most notorious "invisible" dictator. The video itself is self-explanatory. While I have donated to the project back in highschool through a classmate, I can only go so far.

To illustrate the point in the most simplified bullet points

-Joseph Kony is the leader of a criminal organization from Uganda who has a history of abducting children from their homes to use as his child-soldiers
-His men makes cuts in children's head, stuffing GUN POWDER into their skulls, threatening to kill those who disobey him
-His goal is to gain power in not just Uganda but all of the other surrounding countries through violent means
-He is a tyrant who cares only about stability and keeps his people living in fear
-He is known to turn the girls he abducts into sex slave and the boys into gun slaves
-He has manipulated a lot of people into murdering their own family members
-He is the #1 wanted on the list of tyrants and is being pursued by many countries, the US, Canada, China, UK, Greece, France, Germany, etc, all of whom are hunting him down and trying to take him to the international criminal court of justice in Netherlands where they punish some of the most notorious international criminals.

You can donate to the program here:
https://www.stayclassy.org/checkout/donation?eid=14711

and sign the pledge here:
http://www.causes.com/causes/227-invisible-children

Lets all show of support and have Kony arrested for all of the crimes he's committed against so many people world wide! Save the children, and take Kony to justice.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: The Kony 2012 Project

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 pm

i have been sharing on facebook... bryan adams has too ;) (or at least the fb page)

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:34 am

Thank you for sharing I was actually just going to look for it after seeing it as a trending topic on twitter.
Katurah

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:44 am

Hope more children are rescued soon. It's disgusting the way the rebels would cut open a huge scar and stuff gunpowder into the children's skin and bones just to brainwash them into killing innocent people. And for him to promote sex slaves is just as disgusting. I hope Kony is locked up for life and rots in prison!

Nikola1985Ghaeltacht
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nikola1985Ghaeltacht » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:23 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:I hope Kony is locked up for life and rots in prison!
Trust me if he is still alive and this is not just a big scam to take your money and if Kony is cought and if he goes to trail and if he is found guilty he will not rot in prison. He will be in prison but he will not rot there
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Nikola1985Ghaeltacht wrote:
Trust me if he is still alive and this is not just a big scam to take your money and if Kony is cought and if he goes to trail and if he is found guilty he will not rot in prison. He will be in prison but he will not rot there
Uhm Nikola, when I said rot in prison, I meant it metaphorically, not literally like how you apparently misinterpreted it. You know how a lot of people use the word "rot in hell" as a way of cursing instead of using the "f" word to someone they dislike on new paper headlines. And I don't believe this to be a big scam because I have spoken with a victim of his crime who came to my high school during my Grade 13* in fall 2009 for a presentation promoted by the youth "Free the Children" club regarding the events over there. Some of these kids, although now living in Ontario under "protected citizen" status and safe from those destructive criminals, are still suffering from their traumatic experiences and although Kony's capture won't bring much relief to their emotional pain nor result in the permanent disbanding of the rebels, it will at least bring some form of justice for the victims. He won't literally rot in prison, obviously, he's a human, not a revenant, but my point is that he IS a very bad person who has caused a lot of damage to countless children much like Osama bin Laden, Kim Jong-il, Mao Jedong, Ghadafi, and many other bad leaders did. But Kony's ruthless crimes has resulted with the whole world going after him as a result of of his brutality!

*Ontario was the only province with Grade 13, although Grade 12 is the last year but students are free to take an extra year in highschool if they can't get accepted into any post-secondary educational institute or still lack some credits required for graduation.

JessieLove09
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by JessieLove09 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:28 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:
Uhm Nikola, when I said rot in prison, I meant it metaphorically, not literally like how you apparently misinterpreted it. You know how a lot of people use the word "rot in hell" as a way of cursing instead of using the "f" word to someone they dislike on new paper headlines. And I don't believe this to be a big scam because I have spoken with a victim of his crime who came to my high school during my Grade 13* in fall 2009 for a presentation promoted by the youth "Free the Children" club regarding the events over there. Some of these kids, although now living in Ontario under "protected citizen" status and safe from those destructive criminals, are still suffering from their traumatic experiences and although Kony's capture won't bring much relief to their emotional pain nor result in the permanent disbanding of the rebels, it will at least bring some form of justice for the victims. He won't literally rot in prison, obviously, he's a human, not a revenant, but my point is that he IS a very bad person who has caused a lot of damage to countless children much like Osama bin Laden, Kim Jong-il, Mao Jedong, Ghadafi, and many other bad leaders did. But Kony's ruthless crimes has resulted with the whole world going after him as a result of of his brutality!

*Ontario was the only province with Grade 13, although Grade 12 is the last year but students are free to take an extra year in highschool if they can't get accepted into any post-secondary educational institute or still lack some credits required for graduation.
Thank you for sharing this.

I too also heard about Invisible Children in high school. I too have heard many things about this being a scam, and that apparently Kony isn't even in the Uganda, also some say he is already dead,and that Kony's army and his craziness is not happening anymore and other things and a bunch of other things that people are saying to make this campaign look bad and look like a scam.

What this organization is trying to do is get the word that this man needs to be brought to justice, and that people like him DO NOT belong in our world, and also to send a message to other evil people out there that they will NOT get away with their evil doings. The people who created Invisible Children and the KONY 2012 shed a light on something that no one knew or cared about. There are tons of evils going on in the world that no one knows about because no one cares. At least in this case there were people who went to the country that this horrific act was going and wanted to make it known so it can end.
Jessica-
Molly-GSD
Rainbow Bridge:
Tanner, Max & Simba

Nikola1985Ghaeltacht
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nikola1985Ghaeltacht » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:46 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:

Still somene posted that his trial would be held in Holland (Den Haag I presume). First of all that trial is a joke. if you get convicted you go to a jail similar as a five star hotel (exaggerating but not much)
Why I think it's a scam: no one knows where Kony is, is he still alive and so on.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, just pee on it and walk away

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:22 pm

So I have a couple of comments. I only started to hear about this "KONY" thing recently, and I havent researched it at all so this is just top of my head gut feel here.

The first 3 minutes of the video is talking about Social Networking and how powerfull it is. It then says, "the next 27 Minutes is an experiment". The rest is about this KONY fella, what he does, and what we can do about it.

So is this not just a social media experiment. Much along the same lines as the HG Wells, War of the Worlds, radio broadcast that sent many people to their cellars and Hills becasue they believed there was actually an alien invasion taking place. Couldnt this be something similar. A fabrication of people / events / online news broadcasts etc to see "what would happen?"
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:03 pm

JessieLove09 wrote:What this organization is trying to do is get the word that this man needs to be brought to justice, and that people like him DO NOT belong in our world, and also to send a message to other evil people out there that they will NOT get away with their evil doings. The people who created Invisible Children and the KONY 2012 shed a light on something that no one knew or cared about. There are tons of evils going on in the world that no one knows about because no one cares. At least in this case there were people who went to the country that this horrific act was going and wanted to make it known so it can end.
hear hear!! :D
Nikola1985Ghaeltacht wrote:Still somene posted that his trial would be held in Holland (Den Haag I presume). First of all that trial is a joke. if you get convicted you go to a jail similar as a five star hotel (exaggerating but not much)
Why I think it's a scam: no one knows where Kony is, is he still alive and so on.
Yes, the ICC is based in The Hague and the prison for war criminals is located in Scheveningen Prison - about 20 minutes from where I used to live (near Voorburg / Laan van NOI). It's certainly not a five star hotel, but it's not as bad as most prisons either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_det ... inal_Court

nivenj wrote:So is this not just a social media experiment. Much along the same lines as the HG Wells, War of the Worlds, radio broadcast that sent many people to their cellars and Hills becasue they believed there was actually an alien invasion taking place. Couldnt this be something similar. A fabrication of people / events / online news broadcasts etc to see "what would happen?"
Nope, Joseph Kony is very much real... I remember learning about him (and others on the ICC's most wanted list) as part of my certification in International Human Rights, several years ago. :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:35 am

Well said Debby

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:21 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
nivenj wrote:So is this not just a social media experiment. Much along the same lines as the HG Wells, War of the Worlds, radio broadcast that sent many people to their cellars and Hills becasue they believed there was actually an alien invasion taking place. Couldnt this be something similar. A fabrication of people / events / online news broadcasts etc to see "what would happen?"
Nope, Joseph Kony is very much real... I remember learning about him (and others on the ICC's most wanted list) as part of my certification in International Human Rights, several years ago. :)
When the first time you hear about something is on social networks, its not on the news or in the papers its good to be sceptical until the information is backed up by another source. Thinking about it its good to be sceptical about most things until they are backed up by another source, not everything in the news or papers is accurate either.

I have to admit to not watching the video or reading much on this, its good that there is awareness of what this man is up to, and hopefully someone somewhere will try to stop him, but me not knowing the details will not change anything. The cynic in me also thinks that unless oil is involved or Kony starts bombing America then nothing will be done to stop him no matter how much people protest against him, I hope I am wrong.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:59 am

JulieSmith wrote:
When the first time you hear about something is on social networks, its not on the news or in the papers its good to be sceptical until the information is backed up by another source. Thinking about it its good to be sceptical about most things until they are backed up by another source, not everything in the news or papers is accurate either.

I have to admit to not watching the video or reading much on this, its good that there is awareness of what this man is up to, and hopefully someone somewhere will try to stop him, but me not knowing the details will not change anything. The cynic in me also thinks that unless oil is involved or Kony starts bombing America then nothing will be done to stop him no matter how much people protest against him, I hope I am wrong.
I agree that it IS important to be a little more sceptical. I mean, I too, was sceptic about Kony when the former victim came to my school and mentioned the LRA. Multiple thoughts spawned simultaneously in my mind, one of them being that this whole thing could just be a government conspiracy. But after searching up about the LRA and going further into the cases online, I am more convinced that there are countless children suffering under Kony's wrath and that the US (at least in the past :roll: ) was focussing more on the middle east than in the seriously damaged regions of Uganda and other places in Africa where numerous kids are constantly being abducted and forced to slaughter innocents. It's disgusting, and the young man who had the courage to go around the Ontario schools to speak about the issue, I feel for him. :( He (not to get off topic but I'm not going to say his name because he's a protected citizen and I NEVER say the real names of protected people in my province online, North Korean defectors included) went through numerous traumatic experiences before finally escaping, and until Kony is captured (or maybe even after), I can only hope that all of this horror comes to an end soon.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:17 am

i'm still not sure if it's what it claims to be or not... i know it WAS but weather it still is or not is a different matter... but i am for what it represents... there are so many children in the world that needs help, that shedding the light on 1 issue may make people look upon the others that need attention... and for the 1st time in a very long time i have seen people on facebook care about something other than their own little bubble and their own problems...

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Nikola1985Ghaeltacht
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nikola1985Ghaeltacht » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:23 am

Yes but the distribution of donations is just wrong. 70% of the money goes to the "charity" organization and 30% to buy guns to kill more people (LRA or not still people)

That's what I heard

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:06 pm

Nikola1985Ghaeltacht wrote:Yes but the distribution of donations is just wrong. 70% of the money goes to the "charity" organization and 30% to buy guns to kill more people (LRA or not still people)

That's what I heard
YES! that is the bit i am unsure of. if it were legit then how come they are allowed to pocket so much of the donations people gave in good faith that it would all go to help the kids... they have been misleading with that but made it public :?

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:34 pm

Apparently since the campaign came to a halt, a lot of people came around ripping down the posters. And the frustration came to this: