Doggy Day Care

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Doggy Day Care

Post by nivenj » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:10 am

Although I work from home, its unrealistic to believe I can go the rest of my life without leaving Ayden alone at home for the odd day, so I've been looking at dog walking services, house sitters etc. I came across this, and just had to share it with you. I think it looks fantastic. I'm taking Ayden down there next week to have a look around.

http://www.thedogsbodies.co.uk/#/daycare/4557595504
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Doggy Day Care

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:36 pm

That looks great!! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:32 pm

Doggie heaven...... :D

Blustag
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Blustag » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:47 pm

Just be very careful. I dont trust 'anyone' with my dogs ever. What if they lost your dog... by accident...? I dont think I could
settle if one of my dogs were being walked by someone else.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:23 am

Blustag wrote:Just be very careful. I dont trust 'anyone' with my dogs ever. What if they lost your dog... by accident...? I dont think I could
Im the same way... If Zephyr can not go on vacation with me then I stay home with him.

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:37 am

Blustag wrote:Just be very careful. I dont trust 'anyone' with my dogs ever. What if they lost your dog... by accident...? I dont think I could
One of the reasons why I don't take my dog (Tam or not) to doggie daycares. No offense to those who love doggie daycares. The one I worked at was quite horrible. On top of the fact that I know most people tend to shrug off my instructions never to feed any treats other than what I provide to my dog (food allergies).

While I can see the convenience of having a pet taxi service from the daycare, I wouldn't let my dog go with another person unless I fully trusted them - even then, I'd be nervous. I guess that's why none of my pet sitting clients want my pet taxi service any more than I worry over whether their pet may make a mess in my car (that has fabric seats). :lol:

Canadia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Canadia » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:41 am

I think taking a tour is a great start in determining if this place is safe for your dog. Check out the kennels to make sure they're clean and secure. I would want to make sure that the people working there are there because they love dogs rather than because they just want a paycheck, so find out about their history with dogs, if they own dogs, etc. Ask them questions about what methods they use to train dogs (positive reinforcement?), what their policies are regarding different situations (such as if a fight breaks out between dogs, if a dog is injured or shows signs of illness, how dogs are contained during transport, what they do if a dog gets away during a walk, etc). It is always nerve-wracking to leave your dog in someone else's hands but if you find a trustworthy caregiver that knows what they're doing I say go for it - but it's your responsibility to check them out first. :)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:54 am

Canadia wrote:I think taking a tour is a great start in determining if this place is safe for your dog. Check out the kennels to make sure they're clean and secure. I would want to make sure that the people working there are there because they love dogs rather than because they just want a paycheck, so find out about their history with dogs, if they own dogs, etc. Ask them questions about what methods they use to train dogs (positive reinforcement?), what their policies are regarding different situations (such as if a fight breaks out between dogs, if a dog is injured or shows signs of illness, how dogs are contained during transport, what they do if a dog gets away during a walk, etc). It is always nerve-wracking to leave your dog in someone else's hands but if you find a trustworthy caregiver that knows what they're doing I say go for it - but it's your responsibility to check them out first. :)
+1. And don't try to schedule a tour. Most dog daycare (at least, where I live) can give a tour any time they're open. Drop in on them so that if they're the type to pretty up the place prior to a scheduled tour, they won't get a chance to do so. ;)

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:51 am

I understand peoples views on this. I am however being realistic. I cannot guarantee that for the next 16+ years of Aydens life (fingers crossed) there will never be an occasion where I have to be seperated from him for over 6 hours. I work from home so the need to do so is going to be limited, but it is going to happen. I have family nearby so they will always be my first port of call. However I am looking ahead to the time when its a choice between leaving him alone in the house or having him looked after by a professional dog carer who really seems to have the best interests of their doggy clients at heart. I'm not talking vacation here, I too have taken then decision that if Ayden isnt welcome wherever I go on holiday, I dont go on holiday.

Everything I saw on the website showed me that they take dog care very seriously and it looked to me like they had really thought about what care the dogs need. They have even designed a corner of the facility to look like the front room of a house, with fireplace etc for the dogs sleeping area. These are not kennels.

I personally would be more stressed thinking of Ayden being home alone compared to him being watched, monitored and played with by people who, on the face of it, seem to really care about dog care.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle *

TParham86
Tamational (Expert)
Tamational (Expert)

Post by TParham86 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm

I agree with you nivenj, there are going to be times that are out of your control that you will have to leave your dog in the care of someone else, I myself have experienced that. My job required me to go to Chicago for a week of training, as long as you do your research and find good people who will take good care of your dog I think you will be fine. My family is usually the first choice for me as well but in the case of my training Mona stayed with one of my best friends who also owns Mona's best friend. So for the whole week I was gone not only did Mona played with her buddy Trixy my friend even would go to my home and hang out with my kitty Luke so he wasn't to lonely ;) She also sent me pics every night of Mona and Luke so I could see they were doing well :P

juice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by juice » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:18 pm

hi nivenj. its a small world as i used to live in deal now in scotland. i have a friend who does dog walking. she has all the qualifications and adores dogs (has 4 of her own), i would trust her with mine as she is so good with them.
her name is julie and it is called sweetpea pet service 07779707444
if you call her tell her juice recomended her to you. hope this helps. :D :D

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:59 pm

juice wrote:hi nivenj. its a small world as i used to live in deal now in scotland. i have a friend who does dog walking. she has all the qualifications and adores dogs (has 4 of her own), i would trust her with mine as she is so good with them.
her name is julie and it is called sweetpea pet service 07779707444
if you call her tell her juice recomended her to you. hope this helps. :D :D
Always good to get a recommend, I'll keep her in mind :D

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:37 pm

Saga goes to doggy day care on the 2 days I work, for me its a lot less stressful than thinking of her alone and bored in the house. This is the one Saga goes to http://www.daycare4dogs.co.uk/

She loves it, the staff are wonderful, the woman who runs it really cares for the dogs as do all the other staff. If the one you are looking at has a facebook page have a look at what is posted there, are there positive comments from owners? do they put up vids and photos of the dogs?

I think there are good day care places and bad ones, if you find a good one then it is worth the money for the peace of mind that your dog is looked after and happy. They are also useful for those days you want/need to go somewhere dogs are not allowed.

nivenj
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by nivenj » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:53 pm

That looks great Julie, a much larger setup by the looks of it but similair in style. :-)