Help the Riverdogs!

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Help the Riverdogs!

Post by Tatzel » Tue May 08, 2012 10:37 am

I've recently come across this website;
http://riverdogs-suceava.npage.de/

The riverdogs are strays living nearby a river in Romania. The dogs are often targeted by people throwing rocks after them and other stuff.
The people who set up the website are selling the riverdogs to Germany (I'm not sure if they send them anywhere else)

If anyone knows someone who would love to take a stray in, please pass this link to them.
I'm sorry to see dogs suffer like that :(

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Help the Riverdogs!

Post by Sylvaen » Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 pm

thanks for sharing! :)
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Wed May 09, 2012 2:42 am

This is very interesting, I know they have this problem somewhere else in the middle east. I surely wish I could help, the dogs there are beautiful :D

I'll try and see what I can do after exams!
Katurah

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri May 11, 2012 4:38 am

I shared this link with a few friends today. I did see your post earlier but was lost in sorrow the other day and didn't bother. :cry: I am quite furious to be honest that people are tossing rocks at these feral dogs and some being killed off for just stepping into a certain place at the wrong time! :x If I was a cop I'd charge them for animal cruelty!

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sat May 12, 2012 9:25 am

There is a lot of problems with strays in a lot of european countries, too, like in Spain!
We have animal control in Germany and there are never any strays to be seen, because they always get picked up and put into the animal shelter (animals in the animal shelter never get put down unless they are agressive and dangerous and thus got no chance of being rehomed)

I've sent e-mails back and forth with the people working for this self-proclaimed small rescue organisation and I'm now in the progress of getting one of their dogs, he will arrive at the end of the month/beginning of the next month.
I'm really looking forward to that!

Originally I wanted to get a Tam, but would not have gotten one before I moved to a bigger apartment (because they're very active breed), and I was concerned about keeping a Tam as single dog because they seem to have such a strong pack drive.
I will get a Tam as a second dog probably later, in 1-3 years :)

So far communication has been great, I was given information about the dog I selected and was invited to their facebook group, where they have more up-to-date pictures of the dogs. They've been very friendly and welcoming, too!

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat May 12, 2012 9:47 am

That's wicked. Have you ot a boy or a girl? Estimate on age? Picked a name? Show us pics!
Image Image

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sat May 12, 2012 10:48 am

I'll get a boy, he's around 7-8 months old now and will be 8-9 months when he arrives here!

Unfortunatelly there aren't a lot of decent pictures of him available, but I'll post the ones I've got!
I'll certainly make a ton of pictures when he gets here and update with that :)

Basically I made my pick when I saw the photo which is at the bottom here, his expression did remind me so much of Tessa, my mum's dog. She also was a stray and we got her from Spain 8 years ago, when she arrived she was only 8 months old as well, and she's the sweetest dog ever now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat May 12, 2012 10:54 am

Very cute :)
Image Image

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Sat May 12, 2012 11:09 am

Aww, what will you call him?

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sat May 12, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks!

His current name is Pinky, but I'll rename him to Monobi! I really love m-names, they sound so soft and nice.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat May 12, 2012 11:23 am

Wow, lucky puppy! Congratz!

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:03 pm

What a nice name, and a very lucky puppy :D

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sat May 12, 2012 1:32 pm

Thank you! :D
The name stems from my childhood, we were in Tunesia once for vacation, and my mum got me some dog hand puppet for christmas which I had seen on television and wanted, but appearently I could not think of a good name! One tunesian guy suggested "Monobi" - I forgot what it means, I remember he told me, but it's a very nice name and I think it fits him nicely!

He will have a great home here, right now I'm preparing everything, ordered a short and a long leash, a collar and a dog bed, bowels and toys and what else you need to take care of a dog.

I wished I would know his chest size so I could buy a harness... I want one of the K9 Julius harnesses, they look really comfortable and I see a lot of dogs wearing them here in Berlin. It seems like a harness also gives you more control over your dog when on leash. We had a dog once which did pull on the leash a lot sometimes, and he would basically strangle himself with the collar. He seemed fine though, when I was riding the bycicle with him he would even pull me up the hills, crazy! (and he was an Irish Setter, not any arctic breed, mind you!)
I also really love the funny patches you can tag on the sides which say stuff like "POLICE" or "FLUFFBALL" or something like that, just funny and adoreable :D

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Mon May 14, 2012 12:11 am

Congratulations, I will look forward to lots of photos when you get your lucky pup

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Mon May 14, 2012 1:12 am

Good to see that you're prepared :D

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 am

I bought a dogbed for him and I think it's way too large :lol:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/320726928858?var ... 1497.l2649

But I wasn't sure about his exact size and I thought I'd rather pick the bed in a size which is too large than in a size which is too small!

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Mon May 14, 2012 11:46 am

Snazzy!!
Image Image

Asvodian
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Asvodian » Wed May 16, 2012 2:35 am

looks like a couch, chair and bed all rolled into one lol. nice though :)

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Wed May 16, 2012 5:44 pm

The dogbed arrived here yesterday and holy molly, IS IT HUGE!!
Am I getting a great dane or a medium sized mutt? I took measures before ordering but I didn't except it to turn out so big haha! It's okay though, I thought about returning it, but it's only taking unused space so it can stay. At least now I can take a nap inside it with my (soon to be) dog if I want to :lol:

Oh and it's very comfortable! I've already lain in it to test it :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed May 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Tatzel wrote:The dogbed arrived here yesterday and holy molly, IS IT HUGE!!
Am I getting a great dane or a medium sized mutt? I took measures before ordering but I didn't except it to turn out so big haha! It's okay though, I thought about returning it, but it's only taking unused space so it can stay. At least now I can take a nap inside it with my (soon to be) dog if I want to :lol:

Oh and it's very comfortable! I've already lain in it to test it :D
:lol:
I had that happen to me too when I ordered a mattress that came out larger than I thought. I think your dog will have more than enough space to lie down and stretch its legs :D Just shows that theoretical measures don't always add up and sometimes you get more than what you paid for. I'd love to see a photo of the dog in it when you take it home. Snoopy also has his own bed instead of sleeping in a crate but my relatives sometimes still need to clean the hair off with a vacuum. Hope you've got one of those handy tools on you because you'll need it ;)

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Wed May 16, 2012 7:51 pm

I don't have a vacuum cleaner, but I really should get one, especially now that I'll get a dog which means extra dirt and lots of hair everywhere! :lol:

The good thing about the dog bed is that you can unwrap it and put the cover into the washing machine, which is just great! I ordered this dogbed especially because it's very easy to clean!

Oh besides, if someone wants to help the riverdogs and Eugenia, the lady who drives +40 km everyday to feed them, please send tips to her if you can let go of a bit of money for a good cause!
http://romaniadogs.chipin.com/monthly-expenses-may

I've spend 15$, I wished I could give more but I have take care of myself and my soon-to-be-dog, too!

Daily updates of Eugenia's work and all the riverdogs (in shelter and still on the street) can be seen in the facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/suceava.strays/

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed May 16, 2012 11:05 pm

I want to adopt and have been keeping up to date on the dogs but I currently don't have the proper financial to raise one now since I'm still in college and living under my parents' roof and they don't want any dogs in their house. Plus I live in Canada which is going to cost a lot for the shipping of one from all the way over there. I am glad to see that there are lots of people putting efforts to supporting the poor souls and still feel sorry for them though when I look at some of the photos, die hunde sind so nett! ♥

Glad to see that you got one of those mattress that can be placed in the washing machine but you'll still need to clean the ones in the living room floor and everywhere else. Other than using a vacuum cleaner if you don't want to waste electricity then you can get a swiffer, I found those to be useful when cleaning my Buddy's hair in the past. Anyways, viel glück für ihre zukunft hund! :D And best of luck on getting your Tamaskan afterwards. Du wirst eine menge arbeit zu tun.

PS: I noticed that Bianca looks pretty Tamaskan-like.

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Thu May 17, 2012 6:46 pm

I don't even know if they ship dogs to Canada, maybe per special order? As far as I know they bring dogs to Germany, Belgium and other places which are reachable via car, but you'd have to ask Chris or Eugenia on the group!

Ohh I don't like Swiffers, I had one and while it does collect some dust it also seems to make a lot of it flock around, too. I always collect dust with a wet cloth, it works wonders!

Hahah yes, puppies are so much work, but they're worth it :D

Oh and there is a date now, I will get my dog on the 25th of this month, hooray!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Thu May 17, 2012 7:46 pm

And now for the waiting of that special date ;) excited for you!

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Thu May 17, 2012 10:29 pm

Haha yes, 8 days left. So close, yet so far! :lol:

I already know the last night will be a sleepless night, due to excitement (luckily I got not scholl that day, so in case it's really going to be a sleepless night I can sleep later the day)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri May 18, 2012 5:10 am

Bad news, Eugenia Ies has to release most of the dogs back to the streets due to many pressures and financial problems which is causing her inability to keep them any further :( This was exactly what I was afraid of. If anyone living near the area can donate to her to keep the place active then please join the group on facebook and let her know. The dogs need to find permanent homes and only through donations to help offset the debt would they be able to have more chance to be adopted. Returning the dogs to the street is the last thing anyone needs to see. If anyone around the area is interested in adopting a particular dog then please let her know so that she may hold the dog for you.

Ciaobella
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Ciaobella » Sat May 19, 2012 2:50 am

Congrats on your new addition & saving a live! :D Lucky boy!
Katurah

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:33 pm

I'm growing more concern about the dogs as I'm following the group. Apparently there seems to be huge conflicts between the dog rescuer and her landlord who has cut her off the water and electricity after she started her lawsuit against him and he's even threatened the neighbours who provided water to her. I wish I can go over there and assist her :(

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:42 pm

Yes, sadly :c
I hope she's save, at least she has her house full of her own dogs, which hopefully will protect her if something should happen (let's hope it doesn't...)

As for transportation, unfortunatelly the person who was supposed to take my dog and two other dogs to Berlin cancelled on Eugenia. Now I have to wait even longer for my dog to come here. At least he's in a decent shelter and being taken care off.

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:41 pm

IF only you had the time and passport to travel down there to pick up the dog :(
I'm absoluetly disgusted that the landlord would go so low as to make death threats towards Eugenia and all the people trying to help her. And the worst part is that the local authorities have little control of this stuff over there. :x Here in Canada if a person commits this shit to any elder they're automatically charged for elder abused and moved away from that person by legal actions. I hope all the dogs make it out and Eugenia stays safe. This is another coward that I wish I could go over there and clobber him!

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:24 am

fangjingtuanlucas wrote:IF only you had the time and passport to travel down there to pick up the dog :(
I'm absoluetly disgusted that the landlord would go so low as to make death threats towards Eugenia and all the people trying to help her. And the worst part is that the local authorities have little control of this stuff over there. :x Here in Canada if a person commits this shit to any elder they're automatically charged for elder abused and moved away from that person by legal actions. I hope all the dogs make it out and Eugenia stays safe. This is another coward that I wish I could go over there and clobber him!
Yeah it really is a money issue :c
I just hope I get him before Eugenia moves shelters. The new shelter looks horrible!!
I wouldn't want anyone of the other dogs to go there either.

And yeah unfortunatelly things are very different in Romania...