Spiderman in da house!

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Spiderman in da house!

Post by Tatzel » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:58 pm

What does the Tam community think about spiders in their houses?

Generally, I like to leave spiders alone when they take residence in my flat. They don't harm me, and they greatly take care of insects which I would like even less (such as mosquitos, flies, fruit flies and others)

There are however exceptions!

I don't mind these guys;
http://insektenfotos.de/Pholcus%20phala ... 29_023.jpg
http://www.blackstein.de/tagebuch/2003/ ... -3540a.jpg

But these are a total no-go:
http://www.rhein-sieg-anzeiger.ksta.de/ ... 75817l.jpg (they are just TOO HUGE omg)

There is another kind which I don't quite know what they are, they make a loooot of webs and breed like crazy, they tend to build a cocoon in the edges/corners of the walls, I started to eliminate them because if I don't do that, they just get too many in no time. also their webs are really annoying, they build so many and shortly move on to a new one >:|

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Re: Spiderman in da house!

Post by issylupus » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:25 pm

I love spiders. I have a huge one that lives under my sofa, and in the evening's he comes out for a scout around. The dog's just look at him but I have to remind Kizzy that she's not aloud to play with him !!!
I dont remove the web's from the ceilling either and after a time they get reaaly big and start to hang down. Shay likes to lay on her back and bark at them :lol: Tala has no Idea what Shay is doing, so she just barks at Shay !!! it's very amusing :lol:

When my daughter was wee, we had one that lived in the bath. We called him Rodger (The lodger) and he would be put in a glass on the window sill when we were using the bath. Tracy learned to clean and dry the bath when she was finished, then put Rodger back. We had a small rope hanging from the tap so that Roger could come and go as he pleased. He was there for year's !!!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:59 pm

I hate spiders :oops: :? Did not help watching the movies "It" and "Arachiphobia" when I was just a little girl. Lived in a house where there were many of them when I was in 3rd grade, one big one waiting for me in front of my panty drawer right after I got out of the shower, and then when I lived in anouther aweful house I had lovebirds and found that one of them had been eaten by a huge spider :shock: I do not have very good experiences with them. I kill each one I see. Plus I don't know if any are poisonous and I don't want Rukia and Ulric to get bitten since they are curious about any tiny moving object.

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:11 pm

I hate them... I can't kill them but i hate them with a passion (cold sweats, shakes, nausea, Heart literally trying to escape through my chest, prickly skin, dizzy)... I saw one on my bed covers and it moved when i tried moving it (humanly out the back door was my plan), couldn't sleep in bed for a month! And when i did get back in bed, it was with new bed sheets, quilt and pillows (i'd have had a new bed if i could just go out and buy one...).

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

skyedream
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by skyedream » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:36 pm

I like to get other people to 'deal' with them for me (shoo them out the door!). But it's a huge drama when I have to deal with them myself. Once found one in my kitchen sink in a tenement flat in Glasgow so I tried throwing a pint of water at it. The water expelled it from the sink and it crawled behind a pile of dirty dishes. So I cautiously removed each dish individually whilst trying not to freak out. When there was a clear path between me and the spider I decided I would attack it with bleach; thinking that at least it would be a quick death. Unfortunately my aim sucks so half my kitchen ended up covered in bleach and i still had to deal with a bleach covered spider body! So I pushed it into the sink using the end of a long broom and finally flushed it away! The whole process only took about an hour so I was quite proud of myself! :roll:

Oh and please nobody upload any spider photos!

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 pm

These can be there:
http://www.rhein-sieg-anzeiger.ksta.de/ ... 75817l.jpg

This on the other hand, freak me the hell out!

Just looking at the photo made me feel like puking!
>> Nino <<

JulieSmith
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by JulieSmith » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Spiders do not bother me, I will get rid of webs if they get too big and dusty, I hate the feel of the webs :oops:

I heard a tale a few years ago about someone who kept finding a big spider in their bath, they would put it outside, but next day it would be there, but they were not sure it was the same spider. They put a blob of tipex on it and put it in the garden next day it was in the bath, so they took it round the corner to the park and let it loose, next day (or a few days later not sure now) it was back in the bath. Has anyone else tried anything like this?

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:41 pm

I am soooo scared of them. I live alone so unfortunately for me it's up to me to kill them. I prefer other people do it for me though. I am NOT looking at any of the links posted *shudder*
Image Image

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:25 am

JulieSmith wrote:Spiders do not bother me, I will get rid of webs if they get too big and dusty, I hate the feel of the webs :oops:

I heard a tale a few years ago about someone who kept finding a big spider in their bath, they would put it outside, but next day it would be there, but they were not sure it was the same spider. They put a blob of tipex on it and put it in the garden next day it was in the bath, so they took it round the corner to the park and let it loose, next day (or a few days later not sure now) it was back in the bath. Has anyone else tried anything like this?
Some of the 'Orb web' spiders can be called (loosley) teratorial. but a spider that has found a good hunting spot is not going to give it up easily. We, as humans, underestomate the abbilities of our fellow creatures and it never seaces to amaze me how wonderfull nature can be.
As for marking with tipex.... I was relocating some mice from the cellar and had cought about 15 in the space of a week. One in particular started to look familiar so I marked the back of her ear with white gloss paint (It's all I had) I took her about 1/2 mile down the road and the next day she was back. So I took her a mile down the road and released her again(along with a handfull of sunflower seeds to keep her going while she got to know her new surroundings) The next morning I cought her again so We jumped in my car and took a drive to Lubes, about 2 miles down the road. The next day, no mouse. Horray !!! the following day...she was back !! so this time she came with me to my local town (about 15 miles away) and I let her go on the other side of the canal. I decided that if I ever saw her again, she could stay and I would call her Mable. I never saw her again !!!! :lol:

Asvodian
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Asvodian » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:16 am

issylupus wrote: Some of the 'Orb web' spiders can be called (loosley) teratorial. but a spider that has found a good hunting spot is not going to give it up easily. We, as humans, underestomate the abbilities of our fellow creatures and it never seaces to amaze me how wonderfull nature can be.
As for marking with tipex.... I was relocating some mice from the cellar and had cought about 15 in the space of a week. One in particular started to look familiar so I marked the back of her ear with white gloss paint (It's all I had) I took her about 1/2 mile down the road and the next day she was back. So I took her a mile down the road and released her again(along with a handfull of sunflower seeds to keep her going while she got to know her new surroundings) The next morning I cought her again so We jumped in my car and took a drive to Lubes, about 2 miles down the road. The next day, no mouse. Horray !!! the following day...she was back !! so this time she came with me to my local town (about 15 miles away) and I let her go on the other side of the canal. I decided that if I ever saw her again, she could stay and I would call her Mable. I never saw her again !!!! :lol:
the poor mouse probably just didnt want to be called mable and thats why it didnt come back :lol:

issylupus
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by issylupus » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:33 am

the poor mouse probably just didnt want to be called mable and thats why it didnt come back :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Nino wrote:These can be there:
http://www.rhein-sieg-anzeiger.ksta.de/ ... 75817l.jpg

This on the other hand, freak me the hell out!

Just looking at the photo made me feel like puking!
Haha, a friend of mine is like that! She can handle big spiders just fine, but anything which has a tony torso and thing long legs which go forever terrify her. She also hates daddy-long-legs and hawkflies.

Another reason why I mostly don't mind the longlegged guys is because they build a single web in the corner of a room and stay there for a very, very long time.
These big black guys on the other hand move around
A LOT. Especially at night when I'm asleep, and I'm just afraid of them marching over my face at night when I sleep sdhkjfsdkfh D:

Booma
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Booma » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Omg. It's night, and I'm in bed. And now I'm completely freaked our from reading ur post
Image Image

susann
Tamabulous (Promoter)
Tamabulous (Promoter)

Post by susann » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:23 pm

I hate spiders. :( :( :( If I see a spider in my house I can't relax until it's gone. I ask Peter to throw it out or kill it.. if he walks towards me with the spider I leave the house in seconds. I can't really relax summertime because of spiders and bugs. I always shake all my linnen right before bedtime because I know that I will DIE if I find a spider there. I can't sit in hammocks and other furnitures in the garden that has pillows.. because there might be spiders there.

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:11 am

I don't normally find spiders in my house, but it seemed to be fate after this topic was posted. I found three spiders in my bathtub and they where about half dollar size. One of them was dead... my guess on of the other two had killed it. I scooped them up in a cup and released them by one of my outbuildings.

Asvodian
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Asvodian » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:53 am

usually when i have a spider crawling towards me i take a deep breath and blow it away. then it comes back and repeats this process a few times then it gives up and stays away lol. the ones i hate are the ones that jump <shivers> un-natural if you ask me

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:14 am

Kylievr wrote:Omg. It's night, and I'm in bed. And now I'm completely freaked our from reading ur post
Aww haha, that was not intentional, I'm sorry you're freaked out now!

Not to add to anyone freaking over spiders, but let it be known that sucking them up with a vacuum cleaner does not kill them! There were even cases where the spiers would come crawling back out of it again!
If you really want to get rid of a spider with a vacuum cleaner efficiently, suck it up, hold the hand over the sucking pipe and close it for a moment so the vacuum cleaner causes under-inflation within itself, then release - the spider is now dead.