Raksha the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog

All off-topic discussions; a place to discuss anything and everything!
Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Raksha the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog

Post by Czertice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Hello, I wanted to share the happy news that Raksha is going to have her first puppies!

Raksha is my family's three and a half years old female Vlcak, my first dog and currently my favourite object of photography.
She is a great example of the breed (of course I would think that :lol:), stable, friendly, outgoing temperament, intelligent yet obedient. Definitely not shy, and though she did acquire a bit of aloofness with strangers as she matured, they often only need to speak softly and she's ready to lick their face. Her prey drive is easily manageable, as is another common breed trait - same-sex agression. I used to think that her exterier was perfect too, but bonitation measurements prove her format is a bit longer than what is desired in the breed standard and also her fur is wavy, not considered a fault, but straight hairs are better. Still, her legs are nicely long and her movement ideally wolfish and graceful...
Okay, okay, I'm going to stop bragging;], but if you have any questions about our life with her, feel free to ask! I got to meet many other Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs since we bought her, too.

And a little note for the Tam people who are annoyed with the disagreements, lies and fallouts that happened in your breed not long ago: Vlcak community is the same ;) It's the same everywhere and probably not going to get much better, so we just need to find and stay in touch with those people and breeders that we can trust and keep an optimistic attitude!
And to support my speech of flowers and butterflies I'll be posting photos of cute puppies soon, how about that? :D

Sylvaen
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Re: Raksha the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog

Post by Sylvaen » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:59 pm

Czertice wrote:so we just need to find and stay in touch with those people and breeders that we can trust and keep an optimistic attitude!
And to support my speech of flowers and butterflies I'll be posting photos of cute puppies soon, how about that? :D
Totally agree! Congrats & good luck with your upcoming litter!
I'm looking forward to seeing puppy photos soon! :D
The future lies before you, like a path of pure white snow...
Be careful how you tread it, for every step will show.

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Sylvaen wrote:
Czertice wrote:so we just need to find and stay in touch with those people and breeders that we can trust and keep an optimistic attitude!
Thank you!

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:06 pm

Congrats :mrgreen: Also can't wait for puppy photos! Raksha is just gorgeous!

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm

HiTenshi16 wrote:Congrats :mrgreen: Also can't wait for puppy photos! Raksha is just gorgeous!

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:55 pm

Ohh she's going to have gorgeous puppies! Good luck :D

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Sylvaen wrote:

Also, totally agree :D

She is very beautiful and will have some irresistible puppies :D

There’s a battle between two wolves inside us all.
One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.
The other is Good. It’s joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness and truth.

The wolf that wins? The one you feed!

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:28 pm

Terri and Rahne, thank yous! ;]

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:10 pm

I almost do not care which breed we are talking about.. just post puppy pictures and I am happy :D
>> Nino <<

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Nino wrote:I almost do not care which breed we are talking about.. just post puppy pictures and I am happy :D
I know exactly what you mean :D

Taz
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Taz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:21 pm

She's gorgeous, can't wait for puppy pics.
Hopefully I'll have a Csv too, one day.
"Don't underestimate me.
I know more than I say.
Think more than I speak.
And notice more than you realize".
"you are free to choose
But you are not free
From the consequence of
Your choice "

akaye531
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by akaye531 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:26 pm

Beautiful! Can't wait to see her pups :)

AZDehlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by AZDehlin » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 am

Very pretty, Do you have pictures of the Father of this upcoming litter?

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:11 am

Taz wrote:Hopefully I'll have a Csv too, one day.
Great idea! ;]
akaye531 wrote:Beautiful! Can't wait to see her pups :)
Thanks, so do I;] I thouched her belly today and I could feel them moving! So exciting!
AZDehlin wrote:Very pretty, Do you have pictures of the Father of this upcoming litter?
Yes, many: http://czertice.deviantart.com/gallery/39949734

Here is one of them together:

Lynwae
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Lynwae » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:50 am

They are beautiful :) Sure the pups will ^^
Do you have already found homes for them?

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:08 pm

Lynwae wrote:They are beautiful :) Sure the pups will ^^
Do you have already found homes for them?
Thank you. Our breeder handles the reservations. We have some, and are still accepting more. But we don't know the number of puppies that will be born. Some people start looking for owners only when the pups are born, but I'm glad our breeder already started looking for suitable owners. Some will even stay in Czech Republic, I'm so glad;]

Cornelia1986
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Cornelia1986 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:08 pm

WOW :shock: Shadow is a stunning dog!
There once was a wolf-
a wolf lonlier than the mountains

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Look at those lovely eyes!

One is Evil. It’s anger, jealousy, greed, resentment, inferiority, lies and ego.

~ Cherokee Proverb

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity... I'm not sure about the former.

~ Albert Einstein

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Hi Czertice, congrats on the news

Wow I haven't seen your posts in a lonnnnnggggggg time now. In the past Lynn told me in private that you might have left the forum when I late-welcomed you in the introduction followed by Pete Saxon but I'm glad to see you're still around :) And you dogs are beautiful!

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:35 pm

Tiantai wrote:Hi Czertice, congrats on the news

Wow I haven't seen your posts in a lonnnnnggggggg time now. In the past Lynn told me in private that you might have left the forum when I late-welcomed you in the introduction followed by Pete Saxon but I'm glad to see you're still around :) And you dogs are beautiful!
Hello Tiantai, thank you!

I'm a bit confused, though - what are you talking about? I've been following the forum ever since I joined, with some pauses;] And as you can see by my number of posts, I've not been completely silent, either. Now that I think about it - The number would have been even higher if I didn't stop myself from correcting everyone who misspelled my favourite breed name :lol: It just is not Vlack, and it's not Czech... boy, don't ever let the Slovaks find out you leave their country out of the name! Veeery touchy subject! :P

Eventide
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Eventide » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:23 pm

Czertice wrote: It just is not Vlack, and it's not Czech... boy, don't ever let the Slovaks find out you leave their country out of the name! Veeery touchy subject! :P

Well, whatever you call this beauty (promise not to offend), I am in awe of such a gorgeous lady - and handsome lad. Those gorgeous eyes are so soul-searching, IMHO. When are the pups due? Can't wait to see them. Absolutely love the picts and I can definitely see why she is your favorite "model" ;) . She actually looks like she enjoys it :lol: .

sequoia
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by sequoia » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Yes, yes! Post the puppy pictures :D
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:07 am

Czertice wrote:It just is not Vlack, and it's not Czech... boy, don't ever let the Slovaks find out you leave their country out of the name! Veeery touchy subject! :P
Just remember it is hard for us to use a word we do not know how to pronounce or can even imagine how to, which is probably why the Vlcak is often mispelled Vlack because vlack at least sounds like a word in out heads :lol:

The Czech, it is just much easier to shorten the word down.. most of the time I cannot even remember how to spell the whole word, or it just takes too much effort, it is like calling a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever NSDTR or here in the coungry simply the Toller instead of that looong name or the Alaskan Noble Companion Dog just ANCD :)
;)
>> Nino <<

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:41 am

Dottie wrote:
Czertice wrote: It just is not Vlack, and it's not Czech... boy, don't ever let the Slovaks find out you leave their country out of the name! Veeery touchy subject! :P

Well, whatever you call this beauty (promise not to offend), I am in awe of such a gorgeous lady - and handsome lad. Those gorgeous eyes are so soul-searching, IMHO. When are the pups due? Can't wait to see them. Absolutely love the picts and I can definitely see why she is your favorite "model" ;) . She actually looks like she enjoys it :lol: .
Oooh, I'll tell her she has an admirer;D We are expecting them around 9th December. Yesterday our breeder came by to check on her and she made a guess there will be six puppies. Yay!
Nino wrote:
Czertice wrote:It just is not Vlack, and it's not Czech... boy, don't ever let the Slovaks find out you leave their country out of the name! Veeery touchy subject! :P
Just remember it is hard for us to use a word we do not know how to pronounce or can even imagine how to, which is probably why the Vlcak is often mispelled Vlack because vlack at least sounds like a word in out heads :lol:

The Czech, it is just much easier to shorten the word down.. most of the time I cannot even remember how to spell the whole word, or it just takes too much effort, it is like calling a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever NSDTR or here in the coungry simply the Toller instead of that looong name or the Alaskan Noble Companion Dog just ANCD :)
;)
Nino I know, I realize it well, that's why I mostly keep silent;] I think it's okay that the Americans started to call the breed Vlcak, it's distinctive and short. Though still of Czech origin and therefore hopelessly incomprehensible and unpronouncable to other than Slavic nations:P Czechoslovakian Wolfdog is such a mouthful, and I hate it in Czech version as well, especially since here what people generally mean under the name Vlčák is anything resembling German Shepherd, so I often have to specify that this is Československý vlčák... The name is perfect, suitable, fitting - but too long.

I will let you know that we even have another way of calling our CSWs - it's čévéčko, please don't ask me to tell you how to pronounce that :lol:

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:03 am

I went to the Czech Republic ones.. we had a guide on the bus in Prague that said a word only spelled with consonants so I know exactly what you mean!!!

but we have sayings as well in Danish that most people have a hard time if not only understanding then at least saying too.. like one Old Jylland Danish which essentially means "I am out on the island in the stream" = æ a u å a å and pronounced fast it would be æau åaå :lol: like half of the letters are not even in other alphabets :lol: :lol:

CsV I am starting th call the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog..
>> Nino <<

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:11 am

Nino wrote:I went to the Czech Republic ones.. we had a guide on the bus in Prague that said a word only spelled with consonants so I know exactly what you mean!!!

but we have sayings as well in Danish that most people have a hard time if not only understanding then at least saying too.. like one Old Jylland Danish which essentially means "I am out on the island in the stream" = æ a u å a å and pronounced fast it would be æau åaå :lol: like half of the letters are not even in other alphabets :lol: :lol:

CsV I am starting th call the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog..
Oh dear, languages are so funny:D
And thank you, even one person more is great success:D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Personally I prefer to omit the "wolf" part of the breed's name and just call it a Czechoslovakian dog since I personally don't see the breed as a true wolfdog anymore.

Czech in English is pronounced "Chek"
Slovakian is "slow" + "va" + "kee" + "AN"

So overall it should sound like "Chekoslovakian" + dog :D

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:48 am

Tiantai wrote:Personally I prefer to omit the "wolf" part of the breed's name and just call it a Czechoslovakian dog since I personally don't see the breed as a true wolfdog anymore.

Czech in English is pronounced "Chek"
Slovakian is "slow" + "va" + "kee" + "AN"

So overall it should sound like "Chekoslovakian" + dog :D
Hmm, I disagree. ;)
Firstly, if you call them Czechoslovakian dog, then it can be any canis lupus familiaris coming from the (now nonexistent) Czechoslovakia.
And secondly - the reason why they called them Vlčák in the first place is the meaning of the word. Vlk means wolf in Czech (Slovak is a very similar language). Vlčák thus means a dog very much like a wolf. Excellent name for our breed. Only it is commonly used for GSDs adn its mixes here, as I have said. The English translation came much much later, and wolfdog is the best option in my opinion.

wicca1
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by wicca1 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 am

congrats on the puppy news :D :D

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:00 am

Yeah but it's because of the "wolf" part that misleads people into thinking that they are still wolfdogs. I would much rather call it a Czechoslovakian Spitz or Czechoslovakian Lupine dog than wolfdog. That's just my opinion ;)

arianwenarie
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by arianwenarie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:23 am

Tiantai wrote:Yeah but it's because of the "wolf" part that misleads people into thinking that they are still wolfdogs. I would much rather call it a Czechoslovakian Spitz or Czechoslovakian Lupine dog than wolfdog. That's just my opinion ;)
I don't see how the term "Spitz" could even be used in the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog name because, IMHO, I classify spitz type dogs as arctic breeds - thick coats, curly tail; some more fox-looking than wolf-looking. Taking into consideration the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog doesn't have any arctic breeds in the history, that's misleading at best...
Vlčák thus means a dog very much like a wolf.
Czertice clearly explained why the "wolfdog" part is still used...it's now moreso having to do with meaning of the Vlčák portion and was thus preserved and carried on in the translation to English that keeps the wolfdog part in the breed name; the way I see it, the fact that wolf blood was used early on in the development in the breed gives the breed's name double meaning - brilliant in my book. ;)

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:54 am

arianwenarie wrote:
Tiantai wrote:Yeah but it's because of the "wolf" part that misleads people into thinking that they are still wolfdogs. I would much rather call it a Czechoslovakian Spitz or Czechoslovakian Lupine dog than wolfdog. That's just my opinion ;)
I don't see how the term "Spitz" could even be used in the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog name because, IMHO, I classify spitz type dogs as arctic breeds - thick coats, curly tail; some more fox-looking than wolf-looking. Taking into consideration the Czechoslovakian Wolfdog doesn't have any arctic breeds in the history, that's misleading at best...
Vlčák thus means a dog very much like a wolf.
Czertice clearly explained why the "wolfdog" part is still used...it's now moreso having to do with meaning of the Vlčák portion and was thus preserved and carried on in the translation to English that keeps the wolfdog part in the breed name; the way I see it, the fact that wolf blood was used early on in the development in the breed gives the breed's name double meaning - brilliant in my book. ;)
I have nothing to add;]

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 pm

the CsV could NEVER be called a Spitz because it does not have the spitz heritage... it does not even come from the same group in the FCI.. it would be like saying that a Labrador Retriever could just as well be called a Labrador Collie, simply not the same..
>> Nino <<

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:15 am

But Lupine wouldn't conflict since it does describe the wolf in the name but without directly calling it a wolf. One way or another, I don't like calling them wolfdog just as I call the Saarloos simply as Saarloos dog.

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Someone is getting big:]

Nahani
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)
Tamthusiastic (Newbie)

Post by Nahani » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:48 pm

Wow beautiful dogs, can't wait to see puppy pictures!

Nino
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Nino » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:49 pm

Fat girl ! :P
>> Nino <<

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 am

She is still gorgeous, even with her big belly :)

Tiantai
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Tiantai » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:49 am

She kind of resembles Amy who is owned by Alexander Klose :D

Tatzel
Tamtastic (Apprentice)
Tamtastic (Apprentice)

Post by Tatzel » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:06 am

I have to say that I love her yellow eyes her gaze! So mesmerizing! :D

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:06 pm

She is beautiful, and Shadow is very handsome. They are a perfect couple. Looking forward to seeing puppy pics once they are born. :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:51 pm

Nino wrote:Fat girl ! :P
Veery!
It's amusing though how our dogwalking friends congratulate us that she finally has "normal" shape now and how well she looks:D Compared to their extremely well fed dogs she usually looks like and excapee from prison, ribs showing and a hungry gaze... Well. She definitely didn't lose the hungry gaze during her pregnancy, more like it intensified:P
Tiantai wrote:She kind of resembles Amy who is owned by Alexander Klose :D
Post up a photo please? Is Amy a Tamaskan?
Tatzel wrote:I have to say that I love her yellow eyes her gaze! So mesmerizing! :D
I chose this photo on purpose. She is staring into a setting winter sun, that's why her eyes look so bright. Normaly her eyes are more closed and not reflecting light like this;]
Misaya wrote:She is beautiful, and Shadow is very handsome. They are a perfect couple. Looking forward to seeing puppy pics once they are born. :)
Thank you! Shadow's owner paid Raksha a big compliment, saying she would like to keep a puppy from this mating. But she still has a lot of training in front of her with Shadow. And repeat matings are not allowed in our country, so her plan to repeat this mating in several years cannot be done. There is no guarantee we will ever breed her again anyway;] But we are lucky we got some deposits for puppies from Czech Republic, so hopefully we will still see some of our puppies grow up!

Katlin
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Katlin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Polarose Tamaskan
Polardog Outfitters
Owner of Sierra Kaweah RN RI TDI TRN TTDN CRN-MCL @ Polarose

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:19 pm

I see, thanks! Pretty dog, but Konah is better;] It's her sister, right?

Rahne

Post by Rahne » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:26 pm

Czertice wrote:
Well thank you! :mrgreen:
Yes Konah and Amy are sisters.

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:44 pm

Rahne wrote:
Czertice wrote:
Well thank you! :mrgreen:
Sure thing:]
Rahne wrote:Yes Konah and Amy are sisters.
I was not sure, couldn't find her in the database.

Czertice
Tamific (Novice)
Tamific (Novice)

Post by Czertice » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Misaya
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by Misaya » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:15 pm

Many congratulations. Hopefully everything went well. Great news :)
- Fiona -

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. - Ambrose Bierce

HiTenshi16
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by HiTenshi16 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:11 pm

*squee* always love new puppies, congratulations!

TerriHolt
Tamificent (Guru)
Tamificent (Guru)

Post by TerriHolt » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Awww, puppies!!! I love puppies!!! Hope everything went well... They all got homes lined up?

~ Cherokee Proverb

~ Albert Einstein